• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J.

We talkin' Gundam soundtracks in here? I've heard that Gundam Wing has a good reputation for that, although I don't really remember much of it myself because I haven't seen it since the first Toonami run.

The one exception: Legend of Zero. I will always associate this track with Epyon fucking shit up, hell yeah.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
We talkin' Gundam soundtracks in here? I've heard that Gundam Wing has a good reputation for that, although I don't really remember much of it myself because I haven't seen it since the first Toonami run.

The one exception: Legend of Zero. I will always associate this track with Epyon fucking shit up, hell yeah.

I'm especially partial to Gundam Wing's OST because it was composed by Kow Otani, who was also responsible for my favorite video game OST of all time (Shadow of the Colossus). There are some tracks in Wing that are basically rockin' 90s anime versions of pieces from SotC--just compare The Wings of a Boy Who Killed Adolescence to Revived Power, for instance.

Just as a note, Otani is responsible for the OST to the currently-airing Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita. There are one or two tracks that are also very SotC-esque, however it's been interesting to hear the extent of his versatility in consideration of the overall more lighthearted and rustic feel of Jinrui's OST.

Nafe

It looks like I might be the only one who doesn't hate Ichiko, except for possibly cosmicblizzard as well.

I was actually wondering if it had something to do with that after I posted. I actually haven't watched the second episode yet despite watching the other two.

You can't get much more :chet than Eiken. I haven't even heard of the other shows, so I wouldn't know.
And I've been planing to start watching Horizon eventually.

I haven't seen Eiken myself. Did you like the show when you watched it or did you just watch it for the :Chet factor?

Along with Planete, Hikaru no Go, and Denpa Teki na Kanojo, may be then they will finally stop telling me to catch up on watching naruto and bleach.

I personally like the two OVAs of Denpa Teki na Kanojo but I'm not really sure how well known they are or how many people here have seen them. I do remember a couple posters here, such as Lain I believe, posting impressions though which also seemed positive overall.

I thought the backstory was something happened on Earth, everyone went to space on these ships, then something happened, and now they are back over Earth trying to repeat history to figure out where they went wrong.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it. I believe it was due to general conflicts and the type of weaponry humanity had that caused them to have to return to Earth but it was left desolated and there is maybe strange or dangerous reality altering phenomenon all over the place that only leaves the area of Japan hospitable.

Not wanting to live on an Earth in that condition I think is the general reason to return to space but no one remembers how to get there so they try to recreate history to figure out how they did it the first time. Those strange phenomenon type effects I think might also be preventing them from getting to outer space despite all their reality bending weapons and flying cities and such which is why they look to history.

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate 7

http://i.imgur.com/4ZhEu.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FzIMk.gif[IMG]

nuff said[/QUOTE]

Does this really happen in the episode or are these images just a result of a gif looping effect?

[quote="cajunator, post: 41362129"][B]Fractale 03[/B]

Well, that was unexpected.

After Clain [spoiler]is captured by the group Lost Millennium who was chasing Phryne[/spoiler], he is told that [spoiler]these people are removed from the Fractale system. This gives me Matrix vibes.[/spoiler] Kind of an interesting twist.
They use more "old fashioned" technology sort of like the modern day equivalent.
[spoiler]The residents controlled by Fractale have some sort of Star Festival, which is actually an upgrade which keeps them brainwashed under Fractale's control.
Rather shockingly they go all Euphinator on the bunch of people "worshipping". Some of the Lost millennium are also killed.[/spoiler]Then Nessa sees Phryne.[/QUOTE]

I think the plot reveals and twists in this episode was where [B]Zeroshiki[/B] mentioned he stopped liking the show. Airing in the same season as Madoka what happens here kind of reminded me of how [spoiler]episode 3 of Madoka changed how people looked at that show[/spoiler].

The concept of the fractal system was interesting but unfortunately they didn't really go into enough depth with it for me. I think to me the best parts of the show were hearing [B]Yu Kobayashi[/B] as Clain, [B]Kana Hanazawa[/B] as Nessa and the artwork and character designs, which were kind of Ghibli like.

[quote="firehawk12, post: 41368505"]
Speaking of things that can make you hate an anime:

[B]Don't Bang Your Sister 7[/B]:

[B]2012 US Presidential Election 7[/B]

(The bed scene was already posted earlier!)

At least I'm scrubbing through this stuff and not really watching it. lol[/QUOTE]

Haha, those look like some strange looking shows you're watching there [B]firehawk[/B]. I just asked earlier in the post but does that bed scene really happen in Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate? what is the context behind that?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haha, those look like some strange looking shows you're watching there firehawk. I just asked earlier in the post but does that bed scene really happen in Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate? what is the context behind that?
I'm scrubbing through the crap to just get it over with. I'm being tricked by the Amagami designs!

The bed scene was fairly tame. She wanted to know what he was doing with the teacher (her sister), so she pushed him down on the bed to find out. Harem +1!

Mobile Suit Gundam ep1
Art that old kind of bothers me sometimes. Good first episode though.

Brad Swaile gets around in Gundam Dubs; Quatre, Setsuna, Amuro
he does a pretty good job making them sound different.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm scrubbing through the crap to just get it over with. I'm being tricked by the Amagami designs!

The bed scene was fairly tame. She wanted to know what he was doing with the teacher (her sister), so she pushed him down on the bed to find out. Harem +1!

Wait, are you still intent on watching every episode of every show airing this season? Was that ever your intent? Did I just imagine this?

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it. I believe it was due to general conflicts and the type of weaponry humanity had that caused them to have to return to Earth but it was left desolated and there is maybe strange or dangerous reality altering phenomenon all over the place that only leaves the area of Japan hospitable.

Not wanting to live on an Earth in that condition I think is the general reason to return to space but no one remembers how to get there so they try to recreate history to figure out how they did it the first time. Those strange phenomenon type effects I think might also be preventing them from getting to outer space despite all their reality bending weapons and flying cities and such which is why they look to history.?

I really wish theyd bring the novels out here, I wouldnt mind reading them. Hm I guess it is kind of science fiction maybe people should campaign to viz to nab it since they do have that dedicated sci fi line of JPN non manga books they translate, or I guess someone could kickstart.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 8:
It's funny. Certain things that happen in this show (particularly a few moments from the first half) would be things that I would hate in any other show, but Natsuyuki Rendezvous makes it all flow together in a very coherent way. There's just something about the way the dialogue comes across, the music, etc that makes everything just click together, even if it seems on the surface like it shouldn't. I think that contributes to why every episode leaves me feeling like it was great. The characters just always feel completely genuine, despite surprising me with their actions.
Shimao's actions have been getting more erratic, but I still feel like everything he's doing fits with how he's been up until this point (even if I can't pin down exactly what he hopes to accomplish (and I'm not sure if he can, either)). I also really loved the scenes near the end of the episode with Hazuki. Particularly how he kept almost losing himself, and the ways in which the flashbacks he was having with Rokka reflected on things that were going on with Shimao and her in the last two episodes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Saint Seiya Omega 03-04:

OjTcol.jpg
MT0UNl.jpg
SwCN4l.jpg

When this show is beautiful, it's REALLY beautiful.

Decided to pick this back up due to the praise for the animation in recent episodes. I've been hongry for some Umakoshi goodness anyway and this will save me from a Heartcatch Precure! rewatch at least, I guess.

So, when I left off after the second episode in April,
Kouga and whats-his-face were both headed to the Palaestra to receive their formal training as Bronze Saints
. Well, they're there now, and it's not so bad.
I could do without the high school setting entirely because, y'know, I have EVERY OTHER ANIME EVER for that sort of thing, but when divorced from the otaku bullshit that generally permeates school settings, it's pretty tame. It's basically just a convenient setting for a training arc.

Plot's nothing atypical at this stage, but that's not the reason that I'm watching this anyway. As long as things don't get actively stupid, I can take in the animation and be perfectly satisfied. The quality of the art varies pretty drastically within individual episodes--things'll go from really plain digital interiors with incredibly shitty fireplace/torch effects to amazingly-detailed or sketch-styled backgrounds and crazy sakuga fights with bold line art and ohgoditsamazing *foams at the mouth* and back again fairly interchangeably, but the highs are so high that I don't even care about the lows.

Some random musings:

- Aquila Yuna is mai waifu
- why is Charles Beams a professor here?
- I'm so glad that Ryuho didn't just turn out to be Male Erika
- so why is it that all of the Saints are Japanese even though they're serving the gods of Greek Antiquity and why is the only ostensibly-white dude the only evil guy in the academy
- so, like,
if Yuna isn't actually going to be punished for breaking the mask rule, why are the other girls in the academy still adhering to it? It's kind of a horrible bullshit sexist thing to begin with
- elemental rock-paper-scissors? they're not aggressively pimping plastic shit in this so maybe they're just planning to launch a TCG or a video game or something, lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, are you still intent on watching every episode of every show airing this season? Was that ever your intent? Did I just imagine this?
Just every first episode. I've dropped some shows and I'm scrubbing through the bad ones that I'm still following for whatever reason. lol

Dear lord I am laughing so hard right now.

kill it with fire
This reminds me of that live action K-On thing where they redid the entire first episode... is this by the same people? :p

Eureka 7 AO 17

Not too much happening here, but what did take place was interesting, especially
with the Quartz Gun acting on its own
. I'm just hoping next episode won't be Noah's Big Adventure.

Accel World 20

So Haru
's Calamity power is starting to manifest. Really freaky seeing his crazy-eyes corrupted avatar killing Kuroyukihime in his dream.
I'm liking him a lot more now than at the beginning of the series...he's certainly got much more toughness and determination.

Sword Art Online 7

That was certainly a lot to go through
just to get a dragon poop sword :p
. Liz is cute, but I still think I like Asuna better at least from a character design standpoint.

Nafe

Okay, I see.

Also ganbatte with those shows too then I suppose.

I don't hate her either. :>

I don't hate her.

Ah, alright. With all that conversation going on regarding her character I apologize if I missed or forgot your guys responses, it just seemed most people really didn't like her character. They obviously have that right, it just came across as rather one sided against Ichiko was all.

I really wish theyd bring the novels out here, I wouldnt mind reading them. Hm I guess it is kind of science fiction maybe people should campaign to viz to nab it since they do have that dedicated sci fi line of JPN non manga books they translate, or I guess someone could kickstart.

I haven't read them myself either but it does look like they could be interesting. I wonder how they compare to the anime such as what material got left out or added.

I didn't realize Viz also translated some non manga type books. I'm actually not sure all the light novels that are, or have been, translated into English. The only ones I can think of right off the top of my head are The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Spice & Wolf.

So Nessa is Kana Hanazawa? No wonder she's so damned cute!!

Yeah she uses her super fun, happy spaz type voice for Nessa.

Saint Seiya Omega 03-04:

Plot's nothing atypical at this stage, but that's not the reason that I'm watching this anyway. As long as things don't get actively stupid, I can take in the animation and be perfectly satisfied. The quality of the art varies pretty drastically within individual episodes--things'll go from really plain digital interiors with incredibly shitty fireplace/torch effects to amazingly-detailed or sketch-styled backgrounds and crazy sakuga fights with bold line art and ohgoditsamazing *foams at the mouth* and back again fairly interchangeably, but the highs are so high that I don't even care about the lows.

Some random musings:
- so, like,
if Yuna isn't actually going to be punished for breaking the mask rule, why are the other girls in the academy still adhering to it? It's kind of a horrible bullshit sexist thing to begin with

This is personally still one of my favorite episodes of the show. I actually thought the story to it was okay and it really does have nice background and set-piece artwork to it.

As for the spoilered, I can't really remember, I think it might have been
as just keeping tradition? It might have been they felt because she was so much stronger than them she was worthy of it but they still were not?
Unfortunately I can't really remember anymore.

I do agree about your second point though, although I actually think they look kind of cool a little. It was kind of funny in a way with
if you see my face I have to kill you
, makes them seem kind of hardcore haha.

I hate her as a person, I like her as a character (and later, I like her as a person too).

Ah okay, thanks for that clarification.

Saint Seiya Omega 03-04:

Decided to pick this back up due to the praise for the animation in recent episodes. I've been hongry for some Umakoshi goodness anyway and this will save me from a Heartcatch Precure! rewatch at least, I guess.

You haven't watched all of Doremi yet, have you?

I don't think the art/animation really varies drastically within episodes as much as between episodes; the top-notch ones are really top notch while the bottom-tier ones are ugly throughout. This is definitely a "skip around to the highlights" kind of show. 3 is one of the good episodes, thanks to Rie Matsumoto. I actually liked the story in that episode and how it handled Yuna's character.

- so, like,

Tradition, and such. It is certainly sexist, but it's a holdover from the original series that I suppose they felt they had to deal with in some fashion.

- elemental rock-paper-scissors? they're not aggressively pimping plastic shit in this so maybe they're just planning to launch a TCG or a video game or something, lol

There is actually a video game coming out for PSP.

NeonZ

- so why is it that all of the Saints are Japanese even though they're serving the gods of Greek Antiquity and why is the only ostensibly-white dude the only evil guy in the academy

They aren't all Japanese actually. Souma's home has been shown already and it was in some Spanish speaking country and Yuna's hometown was in some snow land clearly different from Japan.

duckroll

They aren't all Japanese actually. Souma's home has been shown already and it was in some Spanish speaking country and Yuna's hometown was in some snow land clearly different from Japan.

I guess the question he was asking is "why do most of them have Japanese names?!" which... is kinda a valid point but probably doesn't mean much since it's a Japanese production. Lol.

wonzo

Banned
Accel World 20

lmao. what the fuck is up with this show and people crying while eating food?

In-game Time Breakdown:

00:00 - 01:19 - Reused footage from ep17 with some new stuff spliced in... I think.
*OP*
02:49 - 06:20 -
Taku
gets owned bigtime and that
chaos thingy
kicks in.
*irl bullshit here*
13:48 - 14:37 - More of a dream sequence but w/e.
*a fatass sitting in his bed*
14:54 - 17:08 - More of a phone call but game stuff is game stuff.
*more irl bullshit here, ED and preview*

(timestamps may vary!)

Novid

Banned
You know i feel that saban is coming back in to a business he nearly burned to the ground 15 years before?

Pretty damn pissed.

But yet anime was the only way out of his bullshit.

but then it become the crux that every us animation studio used to go to CGI.

so now, the dude that destroyed the industry way back when,

has come back taken over the dude that brought everybody to the fucking genre in the first place.

How should I feel when half the US fanbases are heading to pedo/furry ville and the other side accept him back as some savior?

My only reconipence that the kids today arnt gonna aceept his shit wholesale, but the problem is they watching HBO and Sho with parents no older than us. This shit is a fucking joke.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Cajun, since you don't appear to be in the chat, if you see this please advise if you approve of this design for the character to appear on your Seal of Cute.

Cajun_seal_design_v2.jpg

Nafe

Being an anime fan is suffering. lol

Haha, from what I've witnessed of AnimeGaf, it seems some enjoy that kind of thing.

I'll throw my lot in with you. Ichiko is hilarious.

She's a least more tolerable than Anthy for you right, haha.

Well, while I didn't like Anthy as much in the first few episodes but not as much as you seem to, I find she becomes a pretty interesting character. It's also interesting to see how she's portrayed in the movie in comparison to how she is in the TV show.

Novid

Banned
?

I'll adjust... somehow.

im just cant stand all this shit son.

I hate, HATE crunchyroll.

I hate the racist bastards over at Funi

I hate Saban as a business man and the bullshit he pulled with the WWE

I cant stand CN's CEO's.

Viz is a bunch of harvard CEO's with 5 inch dicks.

Cant stand the majority of the bronies.

I have a love hate relationship with some of the Toku-fans (mostly hate on the PR side but thats not my fault)

Sentai shouldnt even exist.

Warners Suddenly went toothless and balless, and now DC want a A-KO kid but they were back slapping the mangaka when half of them wishes they were managka.

Sony pisses me off by closing Liverpool and then close their PC disk making offices?

Apple keeps winning so the fuck much why the fuck am I even investing in the fucking market?

Narag

Frustrating, I know, but it sounds like the sort of thing you should take a step or two away from so you're not so personally invested. It's a bunch of unneeded stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom