• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

If you are taking suggestions for the next one Cornbread I'd like to suggest Hoozuki no Reitetsu since I've been wanting to watch it for a while. It's on Crunchyroll.

It's deeper into Japanese mythology then Eccentric Family though so I dunno how it would go over.

I'll add it to the list. Probably looking for something action heavy after these three, but we'll see how much participation we get for Sunday Without God first.

Gangsta 9

Quality

Quality bloodshed, or quality performance by Ally-chan, lol.

jonjonaug

Man, never be ashamed of liking season 1 of Psycho-pass.

Although I don't understand why we're calling it season 1, since Psycho-pass didn't get a sequel.

Just a movie...

...that I hope is good.

It's nothing amazing but it's pretty good. It's more action focused like season 2 is, but unlike season 2 it isn't a weak retread of season 1. Some interesting stuff happens.

Soi-Fong

I'm addicted to Working. Anime completely missed my radar when the first season aired. My most favorite anime right now. It's just so goddamn amazing!!

Squishy3

If you are taking suggestions for the next one Cornbread I'd like to suggest Hoozuki no Reitetsu since I've been wanting to watch it for a while. It's on Crunchyroll.

It's deeper into Japanese mythology then Eccentric Family though so I dunno how it would go over.
This show is legit good

Cornbread78

Angel Beats! 06-13 (END)

Really enjoyed this. And I was so off with my early theories lol

The one thing that really bugged me was the whole "I love you" scene at the end. I sensed no love whatsoever between the two of them during the series. And Kanade looking like a 10 year old didn't help a bit.

(TK) For some reason he spoke japanese sometimes (zetsubou no carnival, lol), and the stuff he said made no sense at all, but at least it was understandable (and legit good). I kiss you.

And there you have it; my biggest complaint was that scene.
If they had even spent 5 mins developing that relationship with Kanade abd Otonashi prior, it would have been a great scene, however, it felt shoe-horned and rushed because it was so sudden and mixed with the other big reveal
Overall, I still loved that reveal and the ending as a whole, including the
graduation scene
still one of my favorite animes.

Also, TK was a great character for the show and his randomness was funny and welcomed, lol.

I'm addicted to Working. Anime completely missed my radar when the first season aired. My most favorite anime right now. It's just so goddamn amazing!!

One of my favorite Slice of Life animes out there. Great writing and good comedy as well. I'm very happy I marathoner the first two seasons going into this season.

See! See! Mailbox is, probably, listening to me in his decision to start Romeo x Juliet!

Now, if everyone would do that, we could get some genuine quality anime discussion back into this thread!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to watching Future Diary, and drinking. Not necessarily in that order....

*stands up*

635703628618878276-2074866181_WLIIA%20falling.gif

Busaiku

A Game of Laplace

So the criminally insane are let back out into society within months, with no supervision or boundaries, despite multiple arrests for similar crimes.
So I'm actually watching Batman.

Mailbox

See! See! Mailbox is, probably, listening to me in his decision to start Romeo x Juliet!

Now, if everyone would do that, we could get some genuine quality anime discussion back into this thread!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to watching Future Diary, and drinking. Not necessarily in that order....

*stands up*

635703628618878276-2074866181_WLIIA%20falling.gif

hehe, I've been meaning to watch it for a long time.
I'll binge it and probably finish it sometime tomorrow :)

Hastati

God Eater 06

I know it's getting a lot of hate especially in Japan, but I've been really enjoying this show, especially the past three episodes. Curious to see where it goes, if it re-embraces the shoneny underdog powerup stuff or if this episode was just the eye of the storm. I love the art style, what ufotable is trying to do is amazing even if they don't always succeed. Especially want to know what they'll do with the aragami going forward,
and if the entire city gets obliterated by the colossal one and everyone dies at the end after watching ep 5

Gintama 283-284

I like how Katsura is better friends with Kondo and the Shogun then with Gintoki or that laughing dude that never shows up

Uh is that so. The God Eater games are pretty big on the Sony handheld side, I'd expect it for people to be watching/enjoying it.

That just means people will dislike it more, people shat hard on the Kancolle adaptation and that game is huge.

There's a really weird uncanny valley in God Eater I just can't get over.

tumblr_nrdx7t7wN61s3dw0xo1_500.gif

Does that look like how a human's face should move? It doesn't seem like it to me.

kewlmyc

Does that look like how a human's face should move? It doesn't seem like it to me.

You're not alone. I appreciate the effort being put into it, but the anime just looks weird to me. I can't get into the animation style.

kewlmyc

God Eater 06

I know it's getting a lot of hate especially in Japan, but I've been really enjoying this show, especially the past three episodes. Curious to see where it goes, if it re-embraces the shoneny underdog powerup stuff or if this episode was just the eye of the storm. I love the art style, what ufotable is trying to do is amazing even if they don't always succeed. Especially want to know what they'll do with the aragami going forward,
and if the entire city gets obliterated by the colossal one and everyone dies at the end after watching ep 5

Wait what? Why?

blurr

Reading earlier discussions, I would definitely recommend Durarara, it's a really enjoyable show, fun characters and really invigorating to see them interact and clash through multiple perspectives, much like Baccano. It starts off slow though.

I also enjoyed Psycho Pass 2, underwhelming ending though.

rrvv

Think Kancolle anime.

And animation style?

Kancolle was slightly different thought. That thing is really mess in term of story and pacing.

God eater is decent so far. It's just that nobody really care about it and hater speak louder so that why you heard more hateful comment in japan

phaze

Dennou Coil 18
Shit got real. Or really virtual ? No matter how you slice it, it was a pretty great ep and I'm glad to see the story moving forward. The last two minutes were pretty tense and felt like they could belong in some horror. anime. The bait and switch with Isako really made me believe she
was communicating with her brother.

Kinda fuzzy on the dates but wouldn't events of this episode and Isako messing up the same way
a year earlier mean she's probably responsible for Kanna's disappearance too ? Though I don't think it was ever stated she was in this city before.

Gintama Benizakura Arc

And suddenly everyone was badass! I decided to go with the TV episodes for now and watch the movie down the line (thanks for the recommendations).
The amount of characters involved in the arc felt pretty much perfect since everyone had something to do. I especially liked Kagura going crazy on the enemy ship. Fighting animation was also really good most of the time, like Gins fight on the ships roof.
The main antagonist was alright (strong AKIRA vibes with the Benizakura) although it's a bit unfortunate that he completely abandoned his unique quick drawing fighting style from his earlier appearance in the series.
For a moment there I was afraid they would waste Takasugi in the last few moments but instead the arc served merely as an introduction to his character. Together with Gins and Katsuras past I am eager to see more in the later arcs.

DiGiKerot

For those folks who live in the south of Blighty, the new Hosoda film is playing the London Film Festival in October. It's only playing on the weekend of the Edinburgh SLA, though, so, alas, I'll be giving it a miss.

Concerning the previously mentioned best sci-fi anime, wouldn't Shin Sekai Yori be another contender?

If that show had the production value of Dennou Coil...I'll safe that for a wet dream!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait. Upotte!! Had zero logical consistency in either it's characters, lore, or story.

Upotte at least made it clear the girls are guns.

Kancolle can't even decide what the girls are. They're girls who are boats but not really boats just girl who possess the spirit of boats, and, incidentally, the admiral is a creepy shadowy figure, also they're mechanical because they can be upgraded but not really because they are of flesh and bone and there are also fairies with no given reason and they can literally conjure up life and planes out of thin air and did I mention the admiral is a creepy shadowy figure. Lets not even get into the bad boats that are like ghost boats or something who are the reincarnation of the normal girls when they sink (they can't swim apparently) but not really because reasons and the admiral is still a creepy shadowy figure.

Mandelbo

The way the shadows on his shirt move is also kinda weird. The way he's moving overall doesn't look very natural to me either.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For those folks who live in the south of Blighty, the new Hosoda film is playing the London Film Festival in October. It's only playing on the weekend of the Edinburgh SLA, though, so, alas, I'll be giving it a miss.

Looked this up, seems most of it in in Haymarket which is rather easy for me to get to (also near where The Mystical Laws was shown) so unlike Wolf Children, which was at rubbish times in rubbish locations I may be able to have a chance to see this. There seems to be quite a few films on show:
  • An
  • Angelo Lives
  • The Boy and the Beast
  • For an Open Campus
  • Ghost Theater
  • Happy Hour
  • Love and Peace
  • Mountains May Depart
  • Ryuzo and His Seven Henchmen
  • Shape Shifting
  • Sound of a Million Insects, Light of a Thousand Stars
  • Our Little Sister
  • When Marnie Was There
  • Yakuza Apocalypse

Branduil

The way the shadows on his shirt move is also kinda weird. The way he's moving overall doesn't look very natural to me either.

The lighting in general is all kinds of bizarre. Like, what is causing that super-bright highlight on his jaw?

It's the 5-tone teikoku gone horribly wrong.

javac

Neon Genesis Evangelion Sales Data:
Code:
[B]Neon Genesis Evangelion Blu-ray Box - 22,775[/B]
[B]Neon Genesis Evangelion DVD Box - 3,578[/B]
Total: 26,353

Franchise Total Unit Sales (in ranked order):
Code:
[LIST=1]
[*][B]Neon Genesis Evangelion - 197,453[/B]
[*][B]Bakemonogatari - 112,434[/B]
[*][B]Gundam SEED DESTINY - 93,271[/B]
[*][B]Gundam SEED - 87,280[/B]
[*][B]Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - 84,257[/B]
[*][B]Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu - 77,715[/B]
[*][B]Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch - 75,575[/B]
[*][B]Love Live! 2nd Season - 65,796[/B]
[*][B]Nisemonogatari  - 65,043[/B]
[*][B]Macross Frontier - 62,503[/B]
[/LIST]

The above numbers (outside of Eva) are from shows released after the year 2000 since that's when Oricon started tracking.

javac

To be fair the EVA numbers aren't 100%, the series has had many re-relases and I'm sure not all of it has been tracked since tracking prior to the 2000 was flaky at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom