• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2017 | July 2 - July 9 | Shout outs to...

Graduate level a Link to the Past

I look forward to watching this run sometime. If you were reminded of the run that got Bonesaw banned one of the people on the couch was on the couch there too.

Not been able to watch the marathon but I hear it has the usual gremlins of setup blocks going wrong and some runs really falling behind (and even a mercy kill...Keizaron really needs to avoid the RNG games as I think he holds the record for having the most runs mercy killed...unless Animorphs was a bonus stream thing)

Does Bluegrass not show up to these any more?
I thought it was Blueglass but anyway apparently in previous marathons he has sent in donations commenting about being at work.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
This has probably been asked before, but is there a reason why they never show WR, PB or similar on-screen? Even though the runners rarely get world record times (and that the event isn't necessarily about beating records), I would still find it really interesting to have a point of reference like that.

Rocwell

This Zelda block has been fantastic, that Zelda 2 run was pretty great too. Looking forward to Zelda DX it's been great to watch in the past.

linko9

LADX was great, seems like he didn't really miss anything big, yet still has done it 2 minutes faster. Crazy.

SaiyanRaoh

Why are the donations so low this time? Has this event run its course or is this protest for all the previous runners that have been banned?

I missed LTTP and I'm hearing it was the best run so far. Any idea why they thought it was smart to run that one during such a late, normally dead block?

Why are the donations so low this time? Has this event run its course or is this protest for all the previous runners that have been banned?

I'd argue having a subpar schedule missing some awesome runs and events as well as putting great runs at really freaking weird times is taking away from the hype and excitement that generates huge donations.

The schedule for last AGDQ was bonkers too, but it didn't have a negative impact.

Like, anyone remember the Mario Maker race? That was awesome and got a ton of positive buzz. Why on Earth have they not done it again?? Why is Super Metroid in the middle of the night? Where is the DKC2 race?

I3rand0

I'd argue having a subpar schedule missing some awesome runs and events as well as putting great runs at really freaking weird times is taking away from the hype and excitement that generates huge donations.

The schedule for last AGDQ was bonkers too, but it didn't have a negative impact.

Like, anyone remember the Mario Maker race? That was awesome and got a ton of positive buzz. Why on Earth have they not done it again?? Why is Super Metroid in the middle of the night? Where is the DKC2 race?

This video I saw last year brought up some points I hadn't considered before - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG6hPJpxzm4

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I think the donations will skyrocket today. Tonight they have the Mario Series relay race which should be fun to watch, as well as Kingdom Hearts II and Metroid Fusion.

Man, I always feel for the people with late night runs.

Seeing the couch and background so sparse, but they're doing the Lord's work keeping the stream going in the early hours.

LordofPwn

2017 SGDQ: $792,584.58 (16426 donations) [$48.25/donation]*
2016 SGDQ: $1,294,139.50 (30892) [$41.89]
2015 SGDQ: $1,215,601.49 (28529) [$42.61]

2017 AGDQ: $2,222,790.52 (43472) [$51.13]
2016 AGDQ: $1,216,309.02 (30613) [$39.73]
2015 AGDQ: $1,576,085.00 (39501) [$39.90]

friday and saturday usually see upticks in donations. some of the bigger runs seem to be more in favor for the European crowd. I'm also unsure if the Twitch bits are being added into the total or if they'll get added at the end. each bit is worth $0.01. not sure what the total is at right now.

Anyways, they're on pace for a regular SGDQ amount. AGDQ this year was way higher than anything in recent years.

*last i checked.

inky

I couldn't stay up last night for TGM3 and beyond, so I'm catching up with the vod atm. Good stuff.

This is such an enjoyable stream, I've had it on my second monitor for a few days now and there's always something cool going on. Blessings to everyone involved in making this happen, and donators of course.

SGDQ always does worse than AGDQ for whatever reason and actually...
If you look at SGDQ 2016: http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/sgdq16/
Then 2017: http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/sgdq17/
You see views are not up a whole lot but donations are about a day ahead if that makes sense.

I recall there was a chart directly comparing the two somewhere but I failed to find it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Oh, nice, PB for Johncarls!

Has any WR ever been broken in a GDQ? I guess it's really hard to achieve, since playing well in a marathon setting is infinitely than in the confort of your home... but it might have happened least once, right?

Gojeran

Bummed I'll miss the KH2 run due to being at work for the entirety of it. How long do these take to get uploaded to YouTube or watched as an archive normally?

Has any WR ever been broken in a GDQ? I guess it's really hard to achieve, since playing well in a marathon setting is infinitely than in the confort of your home... but it might have happened least once, right?

I believe it did, or at least it definitely has in the practice room before.

As for the donations, this is about right... The final day is always crazy as all of the sponsors drop big numbers and last minute high end donors try and one up each other.

Altazor

finally watched the ALTTP Swordless run. Incredible. Funny as fuck. "Since we've already seen this part, can I read some donations?"

LordofPwn

I think a Braid WR was beat last year or the year before. i'm fairly certain theres been a few others. usually WR wont happen because trying to beat the WR may include some skips that are not safe. "RTA viable" and "Marathon safe" or "Marathon strats" are terms that get thrown around a lot.

Euphony

Banned
SGDQ always does worse than AGDQ for whatever reason and actually...
If you look at SGDQ 2016: http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/sgdq16/
Then 2017: http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/sgdq17/
You see views are not up a whole lot but donations are about a day ahead if that makes sense.

I recall there was a chart directly comparing the two somewhere but I failed to find it.

These charts are pretty interesting, I didn't even know these existed. I'm kind of surprised how low viewership for the Tetris block was. It pulled in a sizable 140k viewers but it was still beaten by a lot of other runs in viewership for such a hyped up part of the schedule. The amount of donations was also less than I thought it would be for the block too. From how I read the chart it was about 6k for Tetris, but slightly over 20k for A Link to the Past right after it in about the same amount of time.

Raw64life

It was definitely more common in earlier GDQs, pre-2015. The more popular speedrunning gets, the more shit is gonna be optimized and these days it's incredibly unlikely.

Jebusman

Banned
This video I saw last year brought up some points I hadn't considered before - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG6hPJpxzm4

Just as a quick aside, this guy's videos are garbage, and I'm almost positive we've already had a thread locked or two before about them.

He doesn't seem to understand the reason why certain streamers get banned, why some didn't "actually" get banned despite his claims that they did, and his odd fascination with Narcissa.

He's essentially a low level conspiracy theorist.

Oh shit, WR
//

vareon

I remember playing this game as a kid and never get past the few starting areas. Now I know why lol.

Congrats on the world record!

Velcro Fly

This is the same guy who would go right to someone's channel, take one of their highlights, upload it to his youtube channel without permission, and try to monetize the videos. Finally after a while people in the community shut this guy down. I can recall a few twitter exchanges where the guy seemed legitimately mad that streamers were putting claims on their gameplay videos that appear on this guy's channel. And he always seemed to have a weird axe to grind against GDQ for some reason.

Krixeus

What game did someone hit a WR with? Just tuned back in a few mins ago

I never noticed it as a kid playing this game but Capcom literally gave the X-Men characters Street Fighter moves lol

lol I just noticed that too. Gambit with those scissor kicks XD

Shouta

GDQ definitely is a bit boring this year. The list of games have been fairly static and there aren't too many new ones that you really need to catch. Some of the more interesting segments and runners aren't around either. The commentary during runs feels a bit sterile as well for most of the runs.

From a viewer perspective, it definitely feels like the event has gotten really corporate in the last year or two. It just doesn't have the energy to it and it feels like rather than making it about the runners, they're planning it in to make the most money for the event. It's totally fine to want to raise money for the charities but man, they're doing their best to make it less enjoyable.

Top Bottom