• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2017 | July 2 - July 9 | Shout outs to...

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
This guy's energy is great. It's cool when the runner actually seems like he's enjoying it. And props to Raven for that donation.

I will mirror that recent sentiment that there hasn't been as many can't miss runs this summer for me. I used to take a day or two off work to catch some of the mid-day ones. Been fine just catching up on the stream for this SGDQ. End of the day, if whatever they're doing raises more money, good on 'em.

C.Mongler

This video I saw last year brought up some points I hadn't considered before - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG6hPJpxzm4

That was kind of a dumb and uninformed video, and I'll just quote myself from forever ago to explain why:

The latter half of the video is fair-ish, if that grinds your gears enough to stop supporting the event then so be it, but the first part about the Prevent Cancer Foundation kind of just shows he doesn't understand how non-profits/charities operate. Most advocacy non-profits have decently high operating costs, so much so that it's created a thing called The Overhead Myth. Basically the idea a lot of people have, which the guy in the video seems to suggesting too, is the higher the ratio of overhead expenses vs programmatic expenses, the less "good" a charity is doing and the more they are just lining their own pockets. The overhead ratio is rarely a good metric to come to this conclusion, and you really need to take into account things like transparency, leadership, and demonstrable results in addition to really make a fair assessment of a charity, which of course he doesn't. He also seems to say spending money on fundraising is some great evil, which again, paying people who are working to raise you millions of dollars for your cause isn't necessarily shady either; it's basic fucking principal of fundraising.

Are a lot of non-profits run like shit and waste tons of donor money? Sure. But just looking at the big bold numbers on a 990 and coming to that conclusion kind of just makes you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Toki767

GDQ definitely is a bit boring this year. The list of games have been fairly static and there aren't too many new ones that you really need to catch. Some of the more interesting segments and runners aren't around either. The commentary during runs feels a bit sterile as well for most of the runs.

From a viewer perspective, it definitely feels like the event has gotten really corporate in the last year or two. It just doesn't have the energy to it and it feels like rather than making it about the runners, they're planning it in to make the most money for the event. It's totally fine to want to raise money for the charities but man, they're doing their best to make it less enjoyable.

Definitely think it also kind of hurts that there hasn't been a ton of people in the crowd there either. Not sure if they games they chose just weren't exciting to people this time or if a lot of people just didn't attend this time.

Boke1879

Definitely think it also kind of hurts that there hasn't been a ton of people in the crowd there either. Not sure if they games they chose just weren't exciting to people this time or if a lot of people just didn't attend this time.

Yea, but at the end of the day all that matters is those donations rolling in. They are doing it for a great cause

Jebusman

Banned
I'm not a huge fan of the Jedi Knight games but I respect this guy for being able to maintain talking while doing the crazy shit he's doing. This is pure love for something right here.

nynt9

That was kind of a dumb and uninformed video, and I'll just quote myself from forever ago to explain why:

God I wish people would stop bringing that stupid video up. The people that were banned that he defending did stuff like saying the N word on stream. And he has a pretty transphobic video about Narcissa Wright on his channel. That's guy's just an asshole who's mad that people who don't hate trans people and don't want the N word said on stream are running GDQ.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Thermal Detonators > Dark Jedi

EDIT: you can force push the droid?

Joey Ravn

Banned
This guy is great. These Star Wars games are always so frantic and precise that I just can't believe how this guy is doing it. He's sooo hyped, sooo energetic... and he just keeps playing!

Top Bottom