• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Lesson (Tekken team/Harada, UE4) - PS4 Morpheus killer app :)

TL:DR People play Battlifield for it's mechanics not to pretend to kill people while people play this kind of stuff as a fantasy and with VR a way to replace something they could have in real life.

How do you know this? Any facts to back that up?

If this ultimately takes a huge chunk of people out of the gene pool it may actually be beneficial to mankind.

Lol at this one, really. So you're ok with wars too? Since both take a lot of people out of the gene pool.

BibiMaghoo

Oh, so "Gamers are over" to you? I see. So that's how it is.

Lol no, I just notice a lot more of this stuff than I used to, and it bugs me to a degree, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. It's just all the more repugnant when it's a piece of new tech like this.

I believe in the exact opposite, actually. The moment the majority of the gaming populace no longer feels insecure about the existence of these kind of things, that we have finally accepted the fact that gaming is a thing that appeals to a wide variety of people of different tastes and interests, that this hobby is truly something for "everyone", that is when it (and the people who enjoy it) has "matured".

I understand and respect that position. There is clearly a market for it, I just don't personally like it, or think it something that should be encouraged. I'm not insecure about the existence of lolicon fetishes either, I just don't like it, or think it appropriate. It becomes for me even less appropriate in a VR environment, when showing off new tech. It becomes sleazy and perverse.

shem935

Banned
TL:DR People play Battlifield for it's mechanics not to pretend to kill people while people play this kind of stuff as a fantasy and with VR a way to replace something they could have in real life.

It's mechanics are to take a gun and shoot people so I don't really get where you are coming from.

RE_Player

I'm not a fan of the whole Japenese school girl thing but jeez a lot of you guys are so judge mental. I'm sure they look at our most popular games in which we shoot people in the head constantly and think we are pretty fucked up too.

kiguel182

How do you know this? Any facts to back that up?

Lol at this one, really.

I talk to people and I read what they said.

Never saw or heard anyone saying they were looking forward for a battelfield game because it really simulates how to kill someone.

"Shooting people" in videogames is most of the time talked about as a mechanic to win the game and less as the act of killing people.

Most people, the sane people, aren't thinking about actual death when playing those games. They think of it like when you eliminate a player from dodge ball.

Actually, dodge ball is a more apt comparison to FPS that murder.

It's mechanics are to take a gun and shoot people so I don't really get where you are coming from.

See my dodge ball comparison.

Battlefield isn't about killing people, it's about elimination players from a video-game. Yes, you kill people. But your aren't thinking about it as actual murder.

Thing is, kids played as comboys even without video-games. pretend shooting always existed and always will exist.

Videogames just do the pretend shooting better but it's just clearly a game. You don't play Battlefield because you like to shoot people. You do it because it's a competition and you get points. The fact that there's blood isn't the reason most people play it. It's just a game and it's no different than playing with plastic swords or plastic guns. Violence isn't the point.

A game like this is just replacing human contact. The whole point of this is to act the fantasy of talking with someone when you could actually go talk to someone in real life. You could actually live the game you are playing.
People play this to act a fantasy and, with VR, it's easier and easier to live on that fantasy instead of the real world.

Most concerns have nothing to do with this being a school girl but more with the fact that VR might be something detrimental to the way humans contact with each other.

I don't even complain about the existence of such games (or even claim that they are the reason for amoks etc.). I was a pretty active first person shooter player and I'm still playing such games.
Doesn't change about the content and the moral behind such games, so some self-awareness doesn't hurt here - also try to sell games like Call of Duty or Battlefield as paintball simulators.

And if you talk about people about Oculus Rift here and what they want, you will hear many trivial things like running through a Japanese street (first page this thread) or driving a car in the first person perspective.

shem935

Banned

Battlefield isn't about killing people, it's about elimination players from a video-game. Yes, you kill people. But your aren't thinking about it as actual murder.

It's about eliminating players.......by killing them. No I'm not thinking about it like actual murder because it's just bytes flowing through the internet but calling the action something that it is not is silly. The game is about killing your opponent and his team. Just because I am thinking about it another way doesn't make it not that.

kiguel182

I don't even complain about the existence of such games (or even claim that they are the reason for amoks etc.). I was a pretty active first person shooter player and I'm still playing such games.
Doesn't change about the content and the moral behind such games, so some self-awareness doesn't hurt here - also try to sell games like Call of Duty or Battlefield as paintball simulators.

And if you talk about people about Oculus Rift here and what they want, you will hear many trivial things like running through a Japanese street (first page this thread) or driving a car in the first person perspective.

But COD and Battlefield are more paintabal simulators than murder simulators in practical terms.
The idea of war and heroes sells. It sells on all kinds of fiction. But that doesn't make those games murder simulators because actual murder looks nothing like that. If you simulate killing a real human being most people would probably react differently. That's why realistic torture scenes irk some people up, because it bothers them.

But realistic interactions with school girls is what people want from this game. That's the whole point of it. That's why it isn't the same as COD. Because the whole point of this game is to be realistic while COD's isn't.

Driving a fast car isn't something a lot of people can do in real life, and doesn't replace human interaction. Same as walking through a Japanese street. It's not the same.

It's about eliminating players.......by killing them. No I'm not thinking about it like actual murder because it's just bytes flowing through the internet but calling the action something that it is not is silly. The game is about killing your opponent and his team. Just because I am thinking about it another way doesn't make it not that.

The fact that you don't think about it that way is exactly why it isn't the same as this game. Because murder isn't the point and it's something most people don't even think about while, in this game, talking with the girl and interacting with her it's the whole point of it and what you are thinking about.

shem935

Banned
The fact that you don't think about it that way is exactly why it isn't the same as this game. Because murder isn't the point and it's something most people don't even think about while, in this game, talking with the girl and interacting with her it's the whole point of it and what you are thinking about.

Doesn't the fact that we think about it that way mean we are more desensitized to the whole thing? Which might or might not actually be worse?

Never saw or heard anyone saying they were looking forward for a battelfield game because it really simulates how to kill someone.

Anecdotal. I can also say that the people that I consider my friends (not from GAF, RL) do not play games like these because they want to simulate having sex with a 2D/3D drawing. What I've just said is also anecdotal, by the way.

"Shooting people" in videogames is most of the time talked about as a mechanic to win the game and less as the act of killing people.

Talking to those people in those games are regarded by the people that I know as...talking to those people, without predatory intents.

Most people, the sane people, aren't thinking about actual death when playing those games. They think of it like when you eliminate a player from dodge ball.

So only sane people play FPSes? Not every single person that will play this game will have sexual intents, you cannot know that, the same what that you cannot know for sure that people don't play FPSes as more than just an "innocent game". It goes both ways.

Right, that's a first that I've heard that, for sure. If this were true, then people wouldn't be playing as soldiers killing one another, they would be playing as paintball players shooting ink at one another.
Hello Splatoon.

I'm not denying that there is people that play those games with sex in their minds, I'm not saying this. What I'm saying is that not everyone is doing that, the same way that not everyone play FPSes to kill people.

Slight difference there I think. As long as it happens voluntarily it's all good.

People from both sides volunteer to fight. I understand what you meant by voluntarily (third party casualties), though.

Luna Sy

Neo Member
I understand and respect that position. There is clearly a market for it, I just don't personally like it, or think it something that should be encouraged. I'm not insecure about the existence of lolicon fetishes either, I just don't like it, or think it appropriate. It becomes for me even less appropriate in a VR environment, when showing off new tech. It becomes sleazy and perverse.
This doesn't really appeal to me as well but I don't find it problematic. Conversely, there's nothing wrong with finding it gross or perverse. What really gets me though is when some people want these things to go away or are so judgmental to people who do enjoy it. As if they're enjoyment of it affects you in some way.

What about other popular series where playing well nets you gruesome, exploitative deaths like God of War or Mortal Kombat? No creative game mechanics there since one is QTEs and the other is solely a visual.

kiguel182

Doesn't the fact that we think about it that way mean we are more desensitized to the whole thing? Which might or might not actually be worse?

I think it can be it but my opinion is that the reason we don't think about is that the way it's portrayed is so gamey that we don't see it as murder. Or brain tells the different between what's happening so we see score and points instead of murder.

But I admit it can be what you said, no doubt. But that's not my take on it.

Anecdotal. I can also say that the people that I consider my friends (not from GAF, RL) do not play games like these because they want to simulate having sex with a 2D/3D drawing. What I've just said is also anecdotal, by the way.

Talking to those people in those games are regarded by the people that I know as...talking to those people, without predatory intents.

So only sane people play FPSes? Not every single person that will play this game will have sexual intents, you cannot know that, the same what that you cannot know for sure that people don't play FPSes as more than just an "innocent game". It goes both ways.

Right, that's a first that I've heard that, for sure. If this were true, then people wouldn't be playing as soldiers killing one another, they would be playing as paintball players shooting ink at one another. [spoilers]Hello Splatoon.[/spoilers]

I'm not denying that there is people that play those games with sex in their minds, I'm not saying this. What I'm saying is that not everyone is doing that, the same way that not everyone play FPSes to kill people.

People from both sides volunteer to fight. I understand what you meant by voluntarily (third party casualties), though.

My problem isn't sexual intent. The act of pretending to talk to a game instead of actually talking to someone bothers me and I think it isn't healthy.

Dodgeball is an apt comparison because mechanically that's exactly what they are. You eliminate players to gain points.

If those games were about the act of killing than they would be very different, very different. They are dodge ball with a combat coat of paint because being a hero and combat is ingrained in pop culture.

In Destiny you also shoot aliens the same way you shoot people and doesn't change the game. Because murdering people isn't the point. It's a coat of paint.

ohlawd

looks great. I'm clueless about VR though so I don't know if it'l look that good when wearing the set.

I'm hoping for imas cameos, Haruka <3 Harada seriously doesn't give a crap, look at him with that shirt.

JordanN

Banned
looks great. I'm clueless about VR though so I don't know if it'l look that good when wearing the set.

I'm hoping for imas cameos, Haruka <3 Harada seriously doesn't give a crap, look at him with that shirt.

Wouldn't be surprised if IM@S gets its own game. It was actually the first thing they showed off at the Morpheus reveal.

isdKmBDEuLmfs.jpg

kiguel182

What about other popular series where playing well nets you gruesome, exploitative deaths like God of War or Mortal Kombat? No creative game mechanics there since one is QTEs and the other is solely a visual.

God Of War gives you tons of points when you kill enemies. It's all about doing combos and getting points.

Also, both those depictions of violence are highly stylised and are intended to show how strong you are in the face of your opposition. It's a power fantasy.

But still, that aside, the difference is that most people wouldn't kill people that way in real life. It's just a way to tap into a very primitive side that likes to feel powerful.

Talking with a girl is the opposite of that since is something you can, and should, do in real life. It's actually essential for a healthy life.

That's my main point in all of this, those experiences aren't replacing real life, but this is.

Wizardry

Banned
VR dating sims will just change the world. Get ready for it people. 'Her' prepared us for this! So did SF many years ago.

Haha,man, the hate this game is attracting is pretty funny. And I'm sure this is just the beginnung, games like this are the way to push Morpheus in Japan

My problem isn't sexual intent. The act of pretending to talk to a game instead of actually talking to someone bothers me and I think it isn't healthy.

Dodgeball is an apt comparison because mechanically that's exactly what they are. You eliminate players to gain points.

If those games were about the act of killing than they would be very different, very different. They are dodge ball with a combat coat of paint because being a hero and combat is ingrained in pop culture.

In Destiny you also shoot aliens the same way you shoot people and doesn't change the game. Because murdering people isn't the point. It's a coat of paint.

So people with social disorders shouldn't even be trying to get better? Have you ever stopped to think that people are doing things like these because RL are being assholes to them? That's not my case anymore, but I know many people who fit the profile. You mentioned culture, but do you not understand that they (japanese, in this case) have a different culture?

Yes, in some cases it is just a coat of paint. In others, not so much (Manhunt, Hitman. But they're not FPSes so I'm not going to bundle them together. And yes, I do think Hitman can be an example. There are more out of this genre, like the other poster said, but you already told him your opinion).

EDIT:
God Of War gives you tons of points when you kill enemies. It's all about doing combos and getting points.

Also, both those depictions of violence are highly stylised and are intended to show how strong you are in the face of your opposition. It's a power fantasy.

But still, that aside, the difference is that most people wouldn't kill people that way in real life. It's just a way to tap into a very primitive side that likes to feel powerful.

Talking with a girl is the opposite of that since is something you can, and should, do in real life. It's actually essential for a healthy life.

That's my main point in all of this, those experiences aren't replacing real life, but this is.

Not directed to me, but I'll have to agree to disagree, I think completely different. I'm not trying to convince you and I'm not going to change my way of thinking. Also, have you seen what people do to each other in real life, actually? You said that people wouldn't kill another like that, but I've seen many beheadings, people dissolved in acid, people put to burn inside piles of tires that I think different.

kuroshiki

Wait. Hold on.

Let's skip 'healthy life' BS for a second.

Why this is replacing real life? are you scared that people will not notice this is a game?

Hellshy.

This is different. VR is in vogue atm and as Oculus' only real competition, Morpheus was/is being watched by tech companies, not just game companies. I doubt those tech companies cared about the DS.

Probably, but it's still creepy and slightly off-putting seeing Sony endorse this on their stage.

How is it any worse then many other games that appear on stages. Its ok for games made dor teenages to allow the player to run innocrbt people over or bloe peoples heads off or torture others but its notbok for a game that simulates a rlationship with a pretty girl?

So one could say that it is promoting people to be perverts but you can say that while exempting other games from promoting people to be murderers.

Alucrid

Banned
I think it can be it but my opinion is that the reason we don't think about is that the way it's portrayed is so gamey that we don't see it as murder. Or brain tells the different between what's happening so we see score and points instead of murder.

But I admit it can be what you said, no doubt. But that's not my take on it.

so anything that could promote "unhealthy" behavior in users is bad? well, time to give up everything

kiguel182

So people with social disorders shouldn't even be trying to get better? Have you ever stopped to think that people are doing things like these because RL are being assholes to them? That's not my case anymore, but I know many people who fit the profile. You mentioned culture, but do you not understand that they (japanese, in this case) have a different culture?

Yes, in some cases it is just a coat of paint. In others, not so much (Manhunt, Hitman. But they're not FPSes so I'm not going to bundle them together. And yes, I do think Hitman can be an example. There are more out of this genre, like the other poster said, but you already told him your opinion).

EDIT:

Not directed to me, but I'll have to agree to disagree, I think completely different. I'm not trying to convince you and I'm not going to change my way of thinking.

Well, using VR for therapy and helping people get better isn't something I'm against.

I do agree that if you have a social disorder you can get help and these tools can be helpful to you.

But when done just by yourself it can easily become more of a problem instead of helping solve it. I'm concern with those cases.

Because, in the end, this isn't a therapeutic tool and there's no way to know if it's being used to help people get over their problems or just to further make them more isolated and anti-social.

Wait. Hold on.

Let's skip 'healthy life' BS for a second.

Why this is replacing real life? are you scared that people will not notice this is a game?

There are people who marry their DSs and now we are talking about a full 3D immersive simulation so what do you think?

so anything that could promote "unhealthy" behavior in users is bad? well, time to give up everything

I also like to over simplify other people's arguments in a way that doesn't say anything constructive or meaningful.

Lord Phol

lol at people calling it pedophilia. The girl looks like she's easily like 23 in that video.

"Bu-bu-but she's wearing a school uniform so she must be underage!!!!". Insecure people have a tendency to judge and be vocal about things that makes them uncomfortable, it's nothing new.

Luna Sy

Neo Member
Because, in the end, this isn't a therapeutic tool and there's no way to know if it's being used to help people get over their problems or just to further make them more isolated and anti-social.
Why so concerned? No one's forcing you to play these. Let other people play and enjoy the thing you don't like. If this and the technology makes the situation of these people worse, then that's their problem.

kiguel182

Why so concerned? No one's forcing you to play these. Let other people play and enjoy the thing you don't like. If this and the technology makes the situation of these people worse, then that's their problem.

Because I think about more things that just the ones that directly affect me and I have an opinion about them?

It concerns me to see it happen and that it's so acceptable that Sony itself is backing it up.

aeolist

Banned
I believe in the exact opposite, actually. The moment the majority of the gaming populace no longer feels insecure about the existence of these kind of things, that we have finally accepted the fact that gaming is a thing that appeals to a wide variety of people of different tastes and interests, that this hobby is truly something for "everyone", that is when it (and the people who enjoy it) has "matured".

finally games can get away from appealing to young straight men with shooters and appeal to young straight men with fake objectified women

Teletraan1

Banned
It is called Summer Lesson. Where there are lessons there are school girls. I am sure they could have called it Summer Tentacle and made it about something other than school girls but I don't see the outrage.

This is also stylized though. If not in art, in interaction. It's just another type of fantasy.

Really, it's just not good to talk in extremes when it comes to why people play games. There are fans of dating sims that only play them for the stat-based mechanics, just like there are people that play Mortal Kombat for the sole purpose of seeing gory fatalities with no regard for the strength implied to get to that point. Anecdotally, the latter is not a trivial number either.

What constitutes a healthy lifestyle is going to vary GREATLY from person to person.

Alucrid

Banned
It is called Summer Lesson. Where there are lessons there are school girls. I am sure they could have called it Summer Tentacle and made it about something other than school girls but I don't see the outrage.

hey, lucasarts already freed up the grimfandango license, can't add day of the tentacle on top of that too now

Top Bottom