• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Lesson (Tekken team/Harada, UE4) - PS4 Morpheus killer app :)

BibiMaghoo

It's a headset you put on to block out everything and everyone around you in order to jump into fantasy lands. How social was VR in your mind before this game was announced?

There is a big difference between chosen social exclusion, and having actual social inadequacies. Yes a headset is not a social tool, but that wasn't what I meant. I'm sure you are well aware of the perceived 'gamer' basement dweller image, and shit like this just perpetuates that. I feel the same about any game that's focus is on sexual themes of characters that look like children, or dress like children, VR or not.

I'm a strong advocate of maturing our hobby and it's image, not dragging it into the gutter, and when a new piece of tech shows of something like this among the first stuff we have seen, it is not good, in my opinion.

Dambrosi

Banned
There is a big difference between chosen social exclusion, and having actual social inadequacies. Yes a headset is not a social tool, but that wasn't what I meant. I'm sure you are well aware of the perceived 'gamer' basement dweller image, and shit like this just perpetuates that. I feel the same about any game that's focus is on sexual themes of characters that look like children, or dress like children, VR or not.

I'm a strong advocate of maturing our hobby and it's image, not dragging it into the gutter, and when a new piece of tech shows of something like this among the first stuff we have seen, it is not good, in my opinion.
Oh, so "Gamers are over" to you? I see. So that's how it is.

YFYT7Fk.png

but the game is in 3D...

JordanN

Banned
Assuming VR becomes the next DVD and it's going to infiltrate all our lives, I actually see the opposite of "anti-social" happening.

Imagine entire classrooms where students have to put on VR headsets and have to complete assignments with it. Or you go to the supermarket and you wear VR to help bring you a list of groceries.

There will be basement dwellers but so what? Same thing could be said about the computer but now you can bring that stuff everywhere (i.e, smartphones, laptops, tablets etc).

Luna Sy

Neo Member

I believe in the exact opposite, actually. The moment the majority of the gaming populace no longer feels insecure about the existence of these kind of things, that we have finally accepted the fact that gaming is a thing that appeals to a wide variety of people of different tastes and interests, that this hobby is truly something for "everyone", that is when it (and the people who enjoy it) has "matured".

brutal-bf4-closeupjqsp3.jpg

or

20140901_005912jdssp.png

One of the two games will turn you into an anti-social criminal.

Sure, some people will say I picked the most possible violent BF4 picture. But you can headshot your enemies for real in BF4 but you can't touch the girl in Summer Lesson.

Lord Phol

I believe in the exact opposite, actually. The moment the majority of the gaming populace no longer feels insecure about the existence of these kind of things, that we have finally accepted the fact that gaming is a thing that appeals to a wide variety of people of different tastes and interests, that this hobby is truly something for "everyone", that is when it (and the people who enjoy it) has "matured".

Well said and I agree 100%.

This is extremely well-put.

The book and movie industries are seen as more "mature" than the game industry, and they're exactly as you suggested: they appeal to everyone and people can read the things they're looking for.

GobFather

I don't see that. I think teens in general dress fairly 'sexy' nowadays in general, so just having them dolled up a bit at times isn't necessarily out-of-line or anything. And its not necessarily 'acceptable', either. Often when its done in comedies or whatever, there is often a point of the uncomfortable nature of it in the story lines.

A video game that lets you interact with these 'sexualized teens' is in a different league, in my mind. Its very much pandering to the idea of having sex or sexual-natured confrontations with them. It is taking things a step beyond.

To be perfectly frank, I think there's quite a few hot 15-16 year old girls. I'm not going to lie and act like they aren't attractive to me at times. I imagine its fairly instinctual for guys to be attracted to younger girls. But there's a lot of instinctual things in our lives we learn to 'say no' to. There likely isn't a person on this earth in a relationship who hasn't fantasized about sleeping without someone other than their partner, which is again, probably an instinctual thing to desire, but we know its wrong and thus do no act on it and actively discourage it in society. I think this is something else that we aught to discourage. I'm not saying its going to lead to an outbreak of sexual assaults on children, but I think we should not pander to 'okaying' sexual encounters with young girls, even if its in a virtual world.

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think it's fair to judge their culture from your point of view. Their obsession with "school girls" existed before VR and it will continue without it. If someone is on the edge to take it 'past' their fantasy, it wouldn't have matter if the VR was the cause of it or some videos or any other ways they could live out their fantasy...

agreed.

The demo does look nice. I would at least try the game, because technically looks impressive, and I like the atmosphere.

But.

I do not like how this game is basically targeted to straight males. Women and homosexuals are not considered at all, given how the team is trying to pandering to the otaku fanbase. Most generally, Summer Lessons is not targeted towards people who do not care to spy the girl, or even to such subtle and malitious scenes.

The demo does look nice. I would at least try the game, because technically looks impressive, and I like the atmosphere.

But.

I do not like how this game is basically targeted to straight males. Women and homosexuals are not considered at all, given how the team is trying to pandering to the otaku fanbase. Most generally, Summer Lessons is not targeted towards people who do not care to spy the girl, or even to such subtle and malitious scenes.

Isnt this more like a techdemo than a real project they are working on?

Oersted

It is funny that you defend a game, catered towards male immaturity like so many others, with these words.

pottuvoi

Banned

or

20140901_005912jdssp.png

Sure, some people will say I picked the most possible violent BF4 picture. But you can headshot your enemies for real in BF4 but you can't touch the girl in Summer Lesson.
Oh..
I thought the upper was a reaction pic for the trailer..

or

20140901_005912jdssp.png

These are the choices? There must me more to gaming than pretending to be a mass-murderer or a paedophile.

I want one where it teaches us Japanese.(Partly serious)

It's easier for foreign languages to stick if you're immersed in them, and well... Virtual Reality seems like it'd be great for that.

kiguel182

or

20140901_005912jdssp.png

Thing is, kids played as comboys even without video-games. pretend shooting always existed and always will exist.

Videogames just do the pretend shooting better but it's just clearly a game. You don't play Battlefield because you like to shoot people. You do it because it's a competition and you get points. The fact that there's blood isn't the reason most people play it. It's just a game and it's no different than playing with plastic swords or plastic guns. Violence isn't the point.

A game like this is just replacing human contact. The whole point of this is to act the fantasy of talking with someone when you could actually go talk to someone in real life. You could actually live the game you are playing.
People play this to act a fantasy and, with VR, it's easier and easier to live on that fantasy instead of the real world.

Most concerns have nothing to do with this being a school girl but more with the fact that VR might be something detrimental to the way humans contact with each other.

TL:DR People play Battlifield for it's mechanics not to pretend to kill people while people play this kind of stuff as a fantasy and with VR a way to replace something they could have in real life.

longdi

Banned
can i look up her skirt or down her blouse?
seems like a project morpheus killer app if the game is fleshed out, help me learn japanese and all. maybe they can consider to sell a scent diffusing attachment.
will buy a PS4 if so.

right now my PC is way more powerful and i can play the games i want (MGSV and TW3) on it better, but this seems like a real PS4 exclusive i can like.

Iorv3th

Thing is, kids played as comboys even without video-games. pretend shooting always existed and always will exist.

Videogames just do the pretend shooting better but it's just clearly a game. You don't play Battlefield because you like to shoot people. You do it because it's a competition and you get points. The fact that there's blood isn't the reason most people play it. It's just a game and it's no different than playing with plastic swords or plastic guns. Violence isn't the point.

A game like this is just replacing human contact. The whole point of this is to act the fantasy of talking with someone when you could actually go talk to someone in real life. You could actually live the game you are playing.
People play this to act a fantasy and, with VR, it's easier and easier to live on that fantasy instead of the real world.

Most concerns have nothing to do with this being a school girl but more with the fact that VR might be something detrimental to the way humans contact with each other.

TL:DR People play Battlifield for it's mechanics not to pretend to kill people while people play this kind of stuff as a fantasy and with VR a way to replace something they could have in real life.

Same with sports games right? It's not like this is going to become something that takes over the world and suddenly everyone has a waifu.

kiguel182

Same with sports games right? It's not like this is going to become something that takes over the world and suddenly everyone has a waifu.

Last time I checked playing Fifa and playing actual soccer are nothing alike.

EDIT: Also, I'm not saying everybody is going to have a waifu. I'm saying it concerns people that fact that some people have and how a big corporation is endorsing this .

vpance

If this ultimately takes a huge chunk of people out of the gene pool it may actually be beneficial to mankind.

Top Bottom