• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive in next months EDGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair point, but I think it's more complicated than simply looking at install bases. If MS is willing to publish and fund development and by doing so, they get the option to secure exclusivity on future titles, it works out better for them and the developer.

The developer gets to establish a new IP and they have the potential to reach more people should MS decide not to lock up exclusivity.

But hypothetically; Insomniac, after finding great success with SO, will look at the 10mil install base of XB1 and the multiplat install base of 20mil, and have the freedom to go to an EA, or Activision with their own IP. Or possibly even fund it themselves.

What does this mean? It's not being done by the same team as Alan Wake?

Nah, they're doing the TV show that ties in with Quantum Break, while Remedy works on the game.

What has that got to do with MS owning the IP? Couldn't they just as well do that if Remedy owned the IP?

Well they could, but someone has to fund all this work which probably isn't going to be Remedy and thus in exchange, Microsoft get to keep the IP.

Although I would guess Alan Wake might not have made enough to fund QB anyway? Who knows

artist

Banned
Omg-What-Did-He-Just-Say.gif
That's a normal flame bait post from Salvor, he likes to follow me around and try to fling shit.

Bsigg12

But hypothetically; Insomniac, after finding great success with SO, will look at the 10mil install base of XB1 and the multiplat install base of 20mil, and have the freedom to go to an EA, or Activision with their own IP. Or possibly even fund it themselves.

Depending on how deep the hooks are for Azure and the way they will constantly be updating the game there's potential for it to stay Xbox One exclusive going forward just because of infrastructure.

Sure, but they'd also be tied down any potential contractual obligations that would allow MS to keep the IP exclusive to their console as they did with Gears.

Well, they could but presumably Insomniac aren't setting Microsoft up to get their new property big and take it multi platform.

Whilst there is obviously a case for multi platform, you would have to consider, could another publisher (would they) do the same job Microsoft did of publishing a sequel to get the same or more success? (assuming a certain level of success)

Xbox One is going to have exclusive games, if the partnership works well why would you risk a good relationship and sales if you have something good going on?

Just because there is a case for going multi platform doesn't mean it would always make sense. Would Gears have had the same success if EA published it? (See Bulletstorm for more detail) as an example? Not to say MS are some sort of gods, but looking at the individual relationships, it could be of much better of benefit to Insomniac to remain exclusive

Filaipus

Banned
They didn't own Gears until very recently either.

Actually I think the whole reason they bought the Gears IP was because EPIC wanted to move on and make other things. So they now own it and can have their own studios work on it. I don't think Microsoft is super IP hungry, if they were they would have got GOW after the success of the first one.

Rookwood

Banned

Microsoft probably owns the publishing rights though, I'd imagine, as that is the standard in 3rd party exclusivity dealings, so I suppose in that case the best Insomniac could hope for then is a PC release if MS are willing to allow it.

Miles X

What has that got to do with MS owning the IP? Couldn't they just as well do that if Remedy owned the IP?

Well it's not going to be Remedy's IP if MS have their own studio working on it are they?

Imagine if it was and it was released on PS4, it would have content that MS first party studios worked on .... would never happen.

Errrr.... "Quantum Break" trademark is owned by Microsoft that one is a little more cut and dry.

And chances of Ryse going multi? Pretty much nil, seems like MS is invested in that franchise. If Sunset does well I imagine they won't let that go either.

It's always kinda obvious what games could possibly go multiplatform, Dead Rising 3 being a possibility (even then tho I don't expect it).

Errrr.... "Quantum Break" trademark is owned by Microsoft that one is a little more cut and dry.

Yeah, I took that right back on the last page. Sorry, an honest mistake.

Well, they could but presumably Insomniac aren't setting Microsoft up to get their new property big and take it multi platform.

Whilst there is obviously a case for multi platform, you would have to consider, could another publisher (would they) do the same job Microsoft did of publishing a sequel to get the same or more success? (assuming a certain level of success)

Xbox One is going to have exclusive games, if the partnership works well why would you risk a good relationship and sales if you have something good going on?

Just because there is a case for going multi platform doesn't mean it would always make sense. Would Gears have had the same success if EA published it? (See Bulletstorm for more detail) as an example? Not to say MS are some sort of gods, but looking at the individual relationships, it could be of much better of benefit to Insomniac to remain exclusive

Of course it does. But exactly as the situation with FFXIII was, it leaves Microsoft entirely open to having an exclusive go multiplatform. It's weird to me, they're pumping money into properties; they are paying to strengthen brands, that aren't even theirs.

And by that I mean, even paying for development of a game that isn't theirs is spending money strengthening a brand they don't own. The money they'll spend marketing it, could be spent on marketing a game they own.

It's just plain weird to me. And short sighted.

SkareKro

Yeah, I took that right back on the last page. Sorry, an honest mistake.

Of course it does. But exactly as the situation with FFXIII was, it leaves Microsoft entirely open to having an exclusive go multiplatform. It's weird to me, they're pumping money into properties; they are paying to strengthen brands, that aren't even theirs.

And by that I mean, even paying for development of a game that isn't theirs is spending money strengthening a brand they don't own. The money they'll spend marketing it, could be spent on marketing a game they own.

It's just plain weird to me. And short sighted.
I think at times people put too much importance on permanent exclusives vs timed. Other than console list wars it doesn't really matter much in the end.

Look at Bioshock, Mass Effect, Dead Rising. Even when versions of these games came out on PS3 it was too late. The audience for them was already on the 360 thus the majority of the sales were on 360.Same went for Final Fantasy and Metal Gear on PS3. I expect the same for Titanfall. When/if the PS4 gets the sequel the majority of its fans will be on X1.

Too many people underestimate how important even timed exclusives are. Not every game has to be a permanent exclusive just to make a difference.

With that being said as much as people like to say MS throws around money just to keep games off of competing systems. I don't think they're doing enough of it. Which makes me question if they're fully into this console war(wanting to be #1).

Just a few years ago they were willing to spend 40 billion iirc on Yahoo. They could spend roughly half that and dominate this industry. Buy Ea, Activision, Take2. You get where I'm going. But they seem to want to take the harder route.

I remember reading Dean Takahashi's Xbox books. And Ed Fries had to decide between Gears , or a Valve exclusive. Even though MS clearly had the funds to do both, he went with Gears obviously. Leading Dean to say MS was obviously the goliath vs Sony. But MS was acting like David.

SkareKro

Also I should mention im definitely looking forward to Sunset Overdrive. I haven't played any of imnsomniac's games other than Ratchet and Clank. But I loved R&C. Not many studios make games like that anymore unfortunately.

I think at times people put too much importance on permanent exclusives vs timed. Other than console list wars it doesn't really matter much in the end.

Look at Bioshock, Mass Effect, Dead Rising. Even when versions of these games came out on PS3 it was too late. The audience for them was already on the 360 thus the majority of the sales were on 360.Same went for Final Fantasy and Metal Gear on PS3. I expect the same for Titanfall. When/if the PS4 gets the sequel the majority of its fans will be on X1.

Too many people underestimate how important even timed exclusives are. Not every game has to be a permanent exclusive just to make a difference.

With that being said as much as people like to say MS throws around money just to keep games off of competing systems. I don't think they're doing enough of it. Which makes me question if they're fully into this console war(wanting to be #1).

Just a few years ago they were willing to spend 40 billion iirc on Yahoo. They could spend roughly half that and dominate this industry. Buy Ea, Activision, Take2. You get where I'm going. But they seem to want to take the harder route.

I remember reading Dean Takahashi's Xbox books. And Ed Fries had to decide between Gears , or a Valve exclusive. Even though MS clearly had the funds to do both, he went with Gears obviously. Leading Dean to say MS was obviously the goliath vs Sony. But MS was acting like David.

While the majority of individual title's sales are on the release date, the value they add to the platform is permanent. And the value exclusive titles add to the console is most obvious.

Either way there's no evidence to support whether there is ACTUAL value in titles remaining exclusive. All I am saying is MS is leaving themselves open to a situation like FFXIII going multiplatform. Just the kinda thing that'll have an impact on internet and affect the minority that read IGN regularly.

SkareKro

While the majority of individual title's sales are on the release date, the value they add to the platform is permanent. And the value exclusive titles add to the console is most obvious.

Either way there's no evidence to support whether there is ACTUAL value in titles remaining exclusive. All I am saying is MS is leaving themselves open to a situation like FFXIII going multiplatform. Just the kinda thing that'll have an impact on internet and affect the minority that read IGN regularly.
Yeah I definitely agree with you they leave themselves open at times.I just don't think they make a huge difference if they're 6mo or permanent exclusive. I work with a guy who's a long time gamer.(though not the type to read Neogaf). I was surprised to hear he thought Assassins creed was exclusive to Playstation due to the commercials ending with the PS logo. In other words I believe a timed exclusive or a commercial ending with one manufacturers logo could sway quite a few people into believing the game was exclusive. Indefinite or not.

Ploid 3.0

Probably inappropriate but..

This guy has Seen Sunset Overdrive, I want to see it too. I'm just interested in seeing how this game turns out. I'm rooting for Insomniac, and I honestly hope it does well for them. They are good people.

(hums)
Rock Resistance in Burbank
Come walk down our purple halls
we'll even let you play with our pinballs

(hums)

Ploid 3.0

Too long until information, the minds will wander and bump into things to fill the gap. A hype train could plow through everything though. Some twitter posts are talking about having played the game now, so talk should pick up especially if something leaks.

Somnia

GameSpot sent out a tweet saying this game is single-player only lol

They of course immediately got a tweet from sunsetoverdrive saying that is not accurate and that it has a full multi-player mode which we all knew already.

Rembrandt

Banned

They of course immediately got a tweet from sunsetoverdrive saying that is not accurate and that it has a full multi-player mode which we all knew already.

lmao, jesus, GameSpot.

LiK

yea, saw that too. where the heck did GS get that info anyway?

This also makes no sense.

Insomniac decided to branch away from Sony because Sony requires IP ownership for their 1st party published titles whereas Microsoft does not. It has nothing to do with which 1st party publisher is better at searching for IPs to publish.

Sony would have gladly supported the IP if it were on PS4. The relationship Insomniac had with Sony is similar to the one they currently have with Ready At Dawn with "The Order: 1886"

I remember reading that Insomniac was also tired of Sony throwing their games out and allowing them to bomb, maybe MS made a promise to actually push this title, It's a shame that Sony threw R3 out without a single fuck given.

I remember reading that Insomniac was also tired of Sony throwing their games out and allowing them to bomb, maybe MS made a promise to actually push this title, It's a shame that Sony threw R3 out without a single fuck given.
Ntkrnl said there will be a Sunset Overdrive Bundle, so that should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom