• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUNSET OVERDRIVE MADE INSOMNIAC JUST $567 PROFIT

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think this is the most humiliating profit they could have made.

Further evidences why some third parties are staying away unless Xbox pays upfront for the port via Game Pass. Not a good sign for the ecosystem if one of its only lauded exclusives last gen made 400 odd quid.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think this is the most humiliating profit they could have made.

Further evidences why some third parties are staying away unless Xbox pays upfront for the port via Game Pass. Not a good sign for the ecosystem if one of its only lauded exclusives last gen made 400 odd quid.

That doesn't make sense. It made so little profit because it wasn't multiplatform. The $50 million revenue basically just covered the cost to make it. Any port - the revenue would have been almost straight profit - likely why they released a deeply belated PC port.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
That doesn't make sense. It made so little profit because it wasn't multiplatform. The $50 million revenue basically just covered the cost to make it. Any port - the revenue would have been almost straight profit - likely why they released a deeply belated PC port.
It does make sense. Lots of games are made for one platform and make a profit (more than £400).

AndrewRyan

Xbox fans didn't appreciate Insomniac at the time. They built their reputation on Playstation with players like me who buy anything they make day 1. It's kind of like Protoype- a fun sandbox to jump/slide around wrecking havoc.

Last edited:
Ratchet made negative money and is getting another sequel
For information with the recent data now we know that Ratchet was profitable because for the fiscal Year 2021, the game had made $145,000,000 and it's budget was around $80,000,000.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

the only difference is that one sold consoles and the other didn't
Leaving out which is which
im-playing-both-sides-both-sides.gif

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Following the recent devastating leak from a ransomware attack, Insomniac Games’ future has been laid out for the internet to see. Everything from in-development games to the firm’s internal, aspirational roadmap, and employee information was released by malicious operators who attempted to secure millions of dollars for the data.

In a financial document, the development costs, sales, and shares for every game Insomniac has worked on for years were revealed in full. It was noted by eagle-eyed gamers that Sunset Overdrive, the 2014 game co-developed by Insomniac Games, has netted the company just $567 in profit since it was released.

What a shame, such a great game.

Mr Moose

I heard some good things about it, except for the humour.
I think I remember it selling around 750k LTD a while back on Xbox One.

Last edited:

Allandor

Just to remind some people here. The development was paid by Microsoft and Microsoft was the publisher. They more or less just paid for developing a game with no risk for the studio. So of course they don't make much profit with that. Contract work like this keeps studios alive as it pays the daily bills while they can build their engine (that was also used for the spiderman games) and get more experienced.
Wouldn't be surprised if the studio doesn't make much profit right now, as they are also more or less contractors by son (ok sony bought them) but that also means the whole profit goes directly to Sony, not to the studio.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Following the recent devastating leak from a ransomware attack, Insomniac Games’ future has been laid out for the internet to see. Everything from in-development games to the firm’s internal, aspirational roadmap, and employee information was released by malicious operators who attempted to secure millions of dollars for the data.

In a financial document, the development costs, sales, and shares for every game Insomniac has worked on for years were revealed in full. It was noted by eagle-eyed gamers that Sunset Overdrive, the 2014 game co-developed by Insomniac Games, has netted the company just $567 in profit since it was released.

Perfectly budgeted. Keeps the lights on employees paid and making a game that they love! And they can buy a few series s's for Christmas gifts!!! WIN / WIN??

LRKD

The game has some of the worst writing I had seen when it came out, honestly deserved the poor sells. Gameplay was fun though, I thought it was more entertaining to play than Spiderman was.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wow are some people dense trying to make this sound like a normal or even a good thing, that's how studios die or have to be sold off (guess what happened to them) when if just one game flops like this that means that they can't keep the lights on past its last development day, maybe they have another project paid by someone else going at the same time so are ok (but obviously that someone will only pay for their project so if it only took half the team they'd not pay for the rest of the studio now that it's available after the other game is done) but obviously profit enough to neither need external influence nor risk a shutdown or buyout would be the ideal goal and not having to roam palm open begging for a cash advance willing to make crap to keep the lights on (not exactly easy to even succeed with when your just released game shows sales so bad it won't break even for years).

Last edited:

SCB3

Yeah, Infamous, specially 2, is better.

But still, for a new ip it had potential. The gameplay was fun and I enjoyed it a lot.

In the same way that Infamous 2 was a huge upgrade to the original Infamous, a sequel for this game could be amazing.
The worst part of these all these leaks recently is that there is no new inFamous or Killzone or in Insomniacs case, no new Resistance games at all

BigLee74

It was a great game, but I always got dodgy stares from the wife because my character was a sexy woman running around in her underwear.

Man, I miss that ass ☹️

Top Bottom