• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUNSET OVERDRIVE MADE INSOMNIAC JUST $567 PROFIT

We're discussing profits of game produced from Insomniac, which has always been associated with Playstation.

They would've likely made more on Playstation, as clearly releasing a game on Xbox only made them $567 profit.

It wasn't even worth it, especially since they since got bought by Sony.
U did it again! :)

Yes, I did.

Because all their games are on Playstation, except for this particular game and the profits show why it was pointless.
Charlie Day Ok GIF

sigrad

Following the recent devastating leak from a ransomware attack, Insomniac Games’ future has been laid out for the internet to see. Everything from in-development games to the firm’s internal, aspirational roadmap, and employee information was released by malicious operators who attempted to secure millions of dollars for the data.

In a financial document, the development costs, sales, and shares for every game Insomniac has worked on for years were revealed in full. It was noted by eagle-eyed gamers that Sunset Overdrive, the 2014 game co-developed by Insomniac Games, has netted the company just $567 in profit since it was released.

Made more than Ratchet and Clank for PS5

Does it really bother you that much? Could've just ignored my posts.

Fact of the matter is that the laughable $567 profit is most likely the direct cause for the Insomniac acquisition by Sony afterwards.
No, you don't...I just disagree and it's all good man, nothing personal:. ;)

It's all good. I rarely have ill will towards anyone, maybe I'm just a bit blunt.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with though.
When u said "i got an award and etc...", then i changed my tone too. That's all.

I disagree because even Capcom had an Xbox exclusive game on the beginning. I can't assume Sunset would sell more on Ps4.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I disagree because even Capcom had Xbox exclusivity on the beginning. I can't assume Sunset would sell more on Ps4.
Playstation is where the Insomniac fanbase was though. Ever since Spyro on Playstation 1.

It's all hypothetical though, but given that after SO, they released Spider-Man and subsequently got acquired, it's safe to assume they would been much more successful on Playstation.

(And while SO was an Xbox-exclusive, Insomniac being a Sony Studio makes Playstation relevant to the discussion.)

Last edited:
Playstation is where the Insomniac fanbase was though. Ever since Spyro on Playstation 1.

It's all hypothetical though, but given that after SO, they released Spider-Man and subsequently got acquired, it's safe to assume they would been much more successful on Playstation.

(And while SO was an Xbox-exclusive, Insomniac being a Sony Studio makes Playstation relevant to the discussion.)

Like i said, we can't assume. They are stupid to release on Xbox ? Capcom also ? Nobody thinks in these companies, they are morons ?

Was all new. Bets was made!

Last edited:
Capcom is different. They already had a fanbase on both platforms.

So, companies can't make a risk on a brand new console?
Also Ryse, Recore...

I think we should stop!

I know your point and i don't agree, and you know mine and also don't agree.

It's all good. Why keeling this ? It's all right!

Killjoy-NL

So, companies can't make a risk on a brand new console?
Also Ryse, Recore...

I think we should stop!

I know your point and i don't agree, and you know mine and also don't agree.

It's all good. Why keeling this ? It's all right!
Companies can take risks. I think that's a good thing.

Tbh I actually think that this shows that releasing exclusives on Xbox by itself is a risk, due to much lower installbase.

That's my main takeaway.

kiphalfton

I consider MS the biggest loser in this whole exchange. They funded Insomniac making a open world city with traversal gameplay that got 60% lifted and used to make Spider Man. Sony gets paid. Insomniac gets bought. MS got shit really.

Yeah.

Which is unfortunate because it's actually a good game, a new IP, and different than all the other crap that has been released and plays the same.

It's not my favorite game of all time, but it's a lot better than a number of other "Xbox exclusives" (i.e. games on Xbox and PC).

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Is there a reason why they haven't ported it to PlayStation? I think the game would probably do well, even though it is outdated at this point.

Mooreberg

I picked up a ”Day One Edition” of this game for $3.00 in 2017. Over ship much?

Is there a reason why they haven't ported it to PlayStation? I think the game would probably do well, even though it is outdated at this point.

Microsoft funded the development, so they probably own the IP, unless Insomniac had something else worked out with them.

Last edited:
Companies can take risks. I think that's a good thing.

Tbh I actually think that this shows that releasing exclusives on Xbox by itself is a risk, due to much lower installbase.

That's my main takeaway.
Not too much risk with a "possible" Xbox 360 successor in mind...

But MS failed.

Xbox was great for me in the beginning...Killer Instinct (new), 1,2...All those exclusives.
I played even more than ps4.

Then they dropped the ball HARD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom