• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUNSET OVERDRIVE MADE INSOMNIAC JUST $567 PROFIT

havoc00

Following the recent devastating leak from a ransomware attack, Insomniac Games’ future has been laid out for the internet to see. Everything from in-development games to the firm’s internal, aspirational roadmap, and employee information was released by malicious operators who attempted to secure millions of dollars for the data.

In a financial document, the development costs, sales, and shares for every game Insomniac has worked on for years were revealed in full. It was noted by eagle-eyed gamers that Sunset Overdrive, the 2014 game co-developed by Insomniac Games, has netted the company just $567 in profit since it was released.

the only difference is that one sold consoles and the other didn't
I thought this thread was about discussing what each game was netting. Moving the goalpost to how many consoles the games helped sell is just...

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Nydius

As a fan of Sunset Overdrive (one of the few, apparently), these figures make me sad. Game was an underrated gem, IMO. But I can't say it surprises me. I found a brand new copy with the "Day One" banner on it from the bargain basket assortment at my local Walmart two months ago. Between people being skeptical of new IPs and it launching with the clusterfuck that was the Xbox One, the game was, sadly, doomed from the start.

ProtoByte

Makes you wonder about all those gaming companies reporting just revenue.
Hopefully some understand exactly what the financials of the game industry is now. It's harder and harder to make a game and expect to make commensurate money from it considering the time and investment required to make it just from sales.

I don't like all the MTX, special edition nickel-diming, etc but until people are willing to pay the real cost of these games (hint, higher than even 70 bucks), I can't pretend to be surprised by even some of the more desperate moves.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If I didn't purchase the game twice, Insomniac would probably only be able to afford a PS5 Digital with the profits they made....:messenger_crying:

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Look I love sunset overdrive but this is the funniest news I've heard all month.

Last edited:

Aion002

It was so and so. I though infamous was more fun but opinions and all.
Yeah, Infamous, specially 2, is better.

But still, for a new ip it had potential. The gameplay was fun and I enjoyed it a lot.

In the same way that Infamous 2 was a huge upgrade to the original Infamous, a sequel for this game could be amazing.

Top Bottom