• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Rated For PC!

HyGogg

Banned
? MS also Published Ninja Gaiden 3, they also published Mass Effect....they also published aTomb Raider. So....that doesn't mean it not coming to PS4. Sony published No Man Sky and its on XB. It just means MS won't publisher the version that comes to PS4, could be Sony could be another publisher etc.

Insomniac owns the IP, not MS.
MS owns the exclusive publishing rights to this game. Insomniac could make a sequel on another platform if they found the right partner, but MS owns this one in perpetuity.

This is a similar contract to their Oculus games. Oculus owns those titles but not the IP, so if they wanted to make new games in those worlds they could but not ports.

ipsi2

Have they fixed the aiming on the PC version? Last I checked, it was trying to simulate controller sensitivity and that shit just won't work.

EDMIX

MS owns the exclusive publishing rights to this game. Insomniac could make a sequel on another platform if they found the right partner, but MS owns this one in perpetuity.

This is a similar contract to their Oculus games. Oculus owns those titles but not the IP, so if they wanted to make new games in those worlds they could but not ports.

"MS owns the exclusive publishing rights" no they don't.

"PC version of Sunset Overdrive for release on November 16 for $19.99 under the publishing of THQ Nordic"

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/sunset-overdrive-for-pc-listed-on-amazon-with-november-16-release-date

So they don't own the IP nor the publishing rights.

EDMIX

I wish Halo was coming to the PS4

it's not happening. buy an Xbox or PC.

Well MS owns the IP to Halo, they don't for Sunset overdrive. This wouldn't be the first time MS published a game that ended up on another platform so..... I have not clue why anyone would believe any of those timed deals even when it was known that the team owned the IP and not MS.

HyGogg

Banned
"MS owns the exclusive publishing rights" no they don't.

"PC version of Sunset Overdrive for release on November 16 for $19.99 under the publishing of THQ Nordic"

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/sunset-overdrive-for-pc-listed-on-amazon-with-november-16-release-date

So they don't own the IP nor the publishing rights.
Unfortunately no, licensing out the publishing or distro on the physical version to THQ doesn't change the equation, as it still becomes a question of who THQ is licensing it from if we want to talk about who is controlling these decisions. The Steam version is still published by Microsoft Studios and as far as I know this is still their title, not something that has or will revert back to Insomniac.

EDMIX

Unfortunately no, licensing out the publishing or distro on the physical version to THQ doesn't change the equation, as it still becomes a question of who THQ is licensing it from if we want to talk about who is controlling these decisions. The Steam version is still published by Microsoft Studios and as far as I know this is still their title, not something that has or will revert back to Insomniac.

"as I know this is still their title" Insomniac owns the IP, not MS. Its actually their title...

As far as I can tell, MS is simply publishing it on steam, another publisher making a physical version proves MS doesn't actually own the exclusive right to publish. Simply means MS published it on steam....

? MS also Published Ninja Gaiden 3, they also published Mass Effect....they also published aTomb Raider. So....that doesn't mean it not coming to PS4. Sony published No Man Sky and its on XB. It just means MS won't publisher the version that comes to PS4, could be Sony could be another publisher etc.

Insomniac owns the IP, not MS.

You know for someone who claims to also be a pc gamer you sure talk a lot about the PS4. Much more than your pc. In fact the ONLY time you even mention pc is when it's to do with Xbox console exclusives. How convenient.

Dead Rising never came to the PS4 either. If this comes to the ps4 great because unlike you it doesn't matter to me. You look at a Xbox One as an obstacle like it bothers you it even exists.

HyGogg

Banned
"as I know this is still their title" Insomniac owns the IP, not MS. Its actually their title...

As far as I can tell, MS is simply publishing it on steam, another publisher making a physical version proves MS doesn't actually own the exclusive right to publish. Simply means MS published it on steam....

In this case, IP means the name, world, characters, etc. Insomniac owns all that. MS owns the rights to this title, so they control where it gets sorted and who it gets licensed to. Insomniac could make a new one and put it wherever they want though.

EDMIX

In this case, IP means the name, world, characters, etc. Insomniac owns all that. MS owns the rights to this title, so they control where it gets sorted and who it gets licensed to. Insomniac could make a new one and put it wherever they want though.

"MS owns the rights to this title, so they control where it gets sorted and who it gets licensed to. " yea no.

Unless you actually have a link showing MS actually owns that, its heresay. MS also published a Tomb Raider game, you telling me MS owns that too or? They also published a NInja Gaiden, they also own that too? I recall a time where folks kept saying that about those games so.......what makes this different? I mean for god sakes its literally being published by a different publisher for PC for physical and your still trying to argue MS owns something in regards to publishing lol

MS also published the first Mass Effect....sorta means nothing if you don't own the IP.

Last edited:
"MS owns the rights to this title, so they control where it gets sorted and who it gets licensed to. " yea no.

Unless you actually have a link showing MS actually owns that, its heresay. MS also published a Tomb Raider game, you telling me MS owns that too or? They also published a NInja Gaiden, they also own that too? I recall a time where folks kept saying that about those games so.......what makes this different? I mean for god sakes its literally being published by a different developer for PC for physical and your still trying to argue MS owns something in regards to publishing lol

MS also published the first Mass Effect....sorta means nothing if you don't own the IP.

Why do you care so much when it's already available for that pc of yours? You know the one that only powers on when an Xbox console exclusive is being mentioned.

Is Street Fighter 5 coming to Xbox One and Switch? It's on the PC so where is your argument in hopes for that to happen?

Is port begging ok?

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Unless you actually have a link showing MS actually owns that, its heresay. MS also published a Tomb Raider game, you telling me MS owns that too or? They also published a NInja Gaiden, they also own that too? I recall a time where folks kept saying that about those games so.......what makes this different? I mean for god sakes its literally being published by a different publisher for PC for physical and your still trying to argue MS owns something in regards to publishing lol

Lets limit the discussion to Sunset Overdrive on PC, as the title states. Thank you.

Lets limit the discussion to Sunset Overdrive on PC, as the title states. Thank you.

Not sure why he got so carried away. The game is on PC, he apparently plays a lot on PC.... Apparently.

Anyways this is great news. Higher frame rates and more people to enjoy it.

HyGogg

Banned

Unless you actually have a link showing MS actually owns that, its heresay. MS also published a Tomb Raider game, you telling me MS owns that too or? They also published a NInja Gaiden, they also own that too?
Those were not Microsoft Studios titles, they were strictly publishing agreements. There's a difference.

This is all pretty industry standard stuff for a fully-funded, first-party produced third-party exclusive. It's the same as for their Oculus titles, hell it's the same for Spider-Man -- Sony doesn't own the IP, but they own THAT GAME.

Mathrin

Aside from some Audio troubles, the game runs great. Might get further into this than I ever did on the console!

EDMIX

Those were not Microsoft Studios titles, they were strictly publishing agreements. There's a difference.

This is all pretty industry standard stuff for a fully-funded, first-party produced third-party exclusive. It's the same as for their Oculus titles, hell it's the same for Spider-Man -- Sony doesn't own the IP, but they own THAT GAME.

Yes and this might be one of those "strictly publishing agreements". Insomniac isn't a MS studio....

edit. The fact remains that they don't own the IP, someone else is publishing the physical version on PC and MS has done this exact thing many times before. We have zero proof that this isn't one of those times. The fact that someone else is even publishing the physical release is proof enough that MS doesn't exclusively own any publishing rights to it.

We can leave it at that.

Last edited:

HyGogg

Banned
Yes and this might be one of those "strictly publishing agreements". Insomniac isn't a MS studio....
So I didn't say that Insomniac is owned by MS, but MS acted as the producer on this title and it has the "Microsoft Studios" label on the box and in the game itself, including the new PC version. That distinction is important in discussing the kind of exclusive that this is.

stranno

I finished it for the third time in 5:40 hours. The campaign must be one of the shortest i've ever seen in a sandbox. Its not the stupid 3-4 hours campaign of Just Cause but its just too short.

They should tackle some clipping related problems, i have fall through the map two times sliding two buildings and restarted a few times some missions because enemies were stucked inside structures, making the mission impossible to finish.

pUJCMXl.gif

Some cinematics are a bit broken.

2X5qJitl.jpg

Other than that (and the nonsense storyline with some crappy npcs) the game is amazing gameplay-wise.

Excalamune unleashing though.

JHFbDXz.gif

BTW: What happened with Insomniac's XBO version in Neogaf? The spanish dub (i havent checked the english one) mentions some kind of Neogaf critics in the "fake ending" credits.

Last edited:

Vitacat

Pretty much a given, as most Windows games support both by now (some still a bit buggy).

And if it's on steam, you can count on it.

And it should be a really easy game to run at 120+hz with all bells and whistels.

Well, I did buy it and it's really nice to have on PC.

But, it doesn't support 21:9 ultra-wide, which is a mild bummer. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom