• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUNSET OVERDRIVE MADE INSOMNIAC JUST $567 PROFIT

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

jm89

The leaks, obviously

Yes there was a leak with alot of information.

Now which bit of the leak did the tweet say was misinterpreted?

Was it the $8 million loss or that it didn't actually lose that?

EDMIX

Can they? Maybe MS still has the rights?

Nope.

Insomniac owns the IP, Sony bought them.

The whole reason behind MS even publishing was that Insomniac would retain the IP.

Which is funny cause ultimately, Sony still got what they wanted lol

In terms of the 8 million from Ratchet, I'm not sure how Sony sees a lot of this, like if this is something they factor end of the generation or from IP to IP, as the fact that they greenlit another Ratchet, shows they may not really even give a fuck lol

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yes there was a leak with alot of information.

Now which bit of the leak did the tweet say was misinterpreted?

Was it the $8 million loss or that it didn't actually lose that?

Go read the post on resetera. Some redditor misinterpreted it when all the leaks were first coming out.

You're included in that everyone buddy.

No shit. I just read it this morning like everyone else did.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I guess it's not surprising considering that it was very "meh" and served as an exclusive launch title for one of the most bungled console releases in modern gaming.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
That's sad because it's a really good game and unfortunately we're probably never getting a sequel, let alone a 60fps boost.

I remember something neat while playing that no other developer tried before. You would sometime get to a building in game that had giant TV that played recording of the developer talking about the game and how awesome you are, thanking you for playing. That's pretty awesome if you ask me.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

This is confusing me.

Did somebody fake some numbers about Rift Aparts sales?
It was a projection. It also had "sales" for Spider-Man 3.
Kmzm2T9.jpeg

It made $145M on PS5 during whatever time frame this was:
image.png

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I guess it all depends on what the costs of Rift Apart were. If it's 81 million and they made 145 million in revenue then I guess its possible they made a profit.
Yeah if that table is projections then we dont know the budget. It's weird though because that projection is almost spot on with units sold but is off by 50% on revenue.

As I understand it game devs fund their next game with the profits of the last game.

I wonder if we'll see more games becoming "early access" titles because of increasing development times.

phaedrus

There's an inherent value in these games besides profit margin. These are (or were) the type of games that sell systems on a entry level.
Exactly, don't know why folks here suddenly forgot this.

Shu Yoshida said it as much when he was the WWS boss:

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Following the recent devastating leak from a ransomware attack, Insomniac Games’ future has been laid out for the internet to see. Everything from in-development games to the firm’s internal, aspirational roadmap, and employee information was released by malicious operators who attempted to secure millions of dollars for the data.

In a financial document, the development costs, sales, and shares for every game Insomniac has worked on for years were revealed in full. It was noted by eagle-eyed gamers that Sunset Overdrive, the 2014 game co-developed by Insomniac Games, has netted the company just $567 in profit since it was released.

They should be thankful that they received money.

ElRenoRaven

Kind of sad to see. I actually remember Buying it back in the days when it was first released and it was a lot of fun. Always kind of wondered what another one would have looked like. Sadly if that's all the profit they made then no wonder they never made another.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Thats $8 million more than the last Ratchet & Clank netted. Impressive.
The $8 million loss was old data when Rift Apart had 2.1 million sales projections (not actual sales).

Kmzm2T9.jpg

The game actually sold 2.7 million sales (as of February-March 2022), exceeding initial projections, according to more recent leaked data.

6iGSuDo.jpg

The additional 600,000 copies, even at an average price of just $29.99, would mean an additional $18 million. That means Rift Apart netted a profit of at least $10 million or at least 1,763,570% higher than Sunset Overdrive's profit -- even before accounting the additional copies Rift Apart would have sold in the 20 months since then.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The humour didn't land, but the game is genuinely great fun with a good premise.

The music layers kicking in as your combo increased.....yeah it was a great game. Fond memories.

Insomniac are great!

DonJimbo

Sad to hear that really loved Sunset Overdrive
If it was not on the XBone and released on the PS4 it would sell more
Jimbo rerelease the game as a remaster on the PS5

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Great game. Massively underappreciated. Even got a legitimate Neogaf shoutout. Wish it had open-world co-op, would have been the real boost I would have loved. Wish it caught on, it was such a fun game to actually play.

Sentenza

Given that I thought it lost money, it's not that bad.

"Breaking even" may not be a businessman's dream, but it's far from a bad outcome for a studio: you kept your employees fed for the two-three years they worked on something, for a start.

Filben

Still glad they made it. Enjoyed it thoroughly on PC and I'm still playing short sessions from time to time. Liked the humour and many cutscenes and the gameplay was pure fun.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's $8 000 567 more than Ratchet
Nope.

The $8 million loss was old data when Rift Apart had 2.1 million sales projections (not actual sales).

Kmzm2T9.jpg

The game actually sold 2.7 million sales (as of February-March 2022), exceeding initial projections, according to more recent leaked data.

6iGSuDo.jpg

The additional 600,000 copies, even at an average price of just $29.99, would mean an additional $18 million. That means Rift Apart netted a profit of at least $10 million or at least 1,763,570% higher than Sunset Overdrive's profit -- even before accounting the additional copies Rift Apart would have sold in the 20 months since then.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Dazraell

Ooof, that's rough. Seriously though, I've played Sunset Overdrive a few years ago and I loved it. An early beginning wasn't great, but game quickly picked up and I had a blast playing it

Cool, bet it got you an award.

Just saying the game likely could've gotten more profits. Heard good things about it, shame it was shackeld by Xbox.

Maybe it's a niche game, does not matter the console.
Xbox was at the beginning. Was one of the first games...And, to be honest, ps4 was a baby yet in terms of games.

I like waaay more Playstation consoles, im just saying.

And u got an award to say how things should be done 10 years later.
Visionary! Congratulations!

James Van Der Beek Applause GIF

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Maybe it's a niche game, does not matter the console.
Xbox was at the beginning. Was one of the first games...And, to be honest, ps4 was a baby yet in terms of games.

I like waaay more Playstation consoles, im just saying.

And u got an award to say how things should be done 10 years later.
Visionary! Congratulations!

James Van Der Beek Applause GIF
We're discussing profits of game produced from Insomniac, which has always been associated with Playstation.

They would've likely made more on Playstation, as clearly releasing a game on Xbox only made them $567 profit.

It wasn't even worth it, especially since they since got bought by Sony.

Last edited:
Top Bottom