• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Pudge

OK I guess this is a thing for everyone. I just finished the game yesterday, so I thought there was something else going on, but I guess the Pre-Order DLC is finally going free?

I just got the message, too. This is the second time I got a message with a code for free DLC for the game. The first time was shortly after release, I think.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game and I have a few questions (hopefully this thread is active enough to answer them!). Is the DLC worth it? I'm really enjoying the base game and decided to 100% it after the movement mechanics clicked for me. When should I start attempting chaos squad stuff, and is there any sites to go to in order to find people to team up with (I imagine the online is dead by now)?

I'm really enjoying the game and I have a few questions (hopefully this thread is active enough to answer them!). Is the DLC worth it? I'm really enjoying the base game and decided to 100% it after the movement mechanics clicked for me. When should I start attempting chaos squad stuff, and is there any sites to go to in order to find people to team up with (I imagine the online is dead by now)?

DLC is worth it, I'd say. Online is pretty much dead at this point, and I can't say I know any LFG sites.

If the controls have really clicked for you, sure buy the DLC and expand the games lifespan. The two extra areas are really fun to play in too!

Ive had my Xbox One for 6 months now and this is still my favorite exclusive game on the system! Everything about Sunset Overdrive is perfect from characters, humor and gameplay its a complete experience. Wish the game had performed better because i would buy a sequel on day 1.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I went to "Saturn" in germany today and looked at their xbox one games and I was surprised that Sunset Overdrive is available there for 19€. All other games that are even older than this one cost at least 39€. People should really get this game at that price.

Moved into a place with my brother a month ago who owns and XBone so I finally got to play this bad boy. It's definitely up there as one of the best games of the generation. Insomniac has always been one of my favorite developers and it has their style all over every inch of it. The only thing I would have liked is more boss battles, because the few they did give us were fantastic. Oh well, I guess they're saving those for the sequel!

Toppot

Recently itching again to play sunset. Any news of a sequal? I really need it. Best game on xbo thus far.

No news on a sequel or any hints. I would expect news to be sometime between now and next E3 unless they skip a cycle and make another game before a sequel to Sunset Overdrive.

Given the size of the studio they must have either the sequel or another 'proper' game in development along side their mobile games and Oculus game (R&C PS4 game is at their North Carolina Studio not their main Burbank one.)

Recently itching again to play sunset. Any news of a sequal? I really need it. Best game on xbo thus far.
No news but I really hope we get one. This game has been some of the most fun I've had with a game in a long time. The traversal is also one of the best I've ever used.

Friction

No news on a sequel or any hints. I would expect news to be sometime between now and next E3 unless they skip a cycle and make another game before a sequel to Sunset Overdrive.

Given the size of the studio they must have either the sequel or another 'proper' game in development along side their mobile games and Oculus game (R&C PS4 game is at their North Carolina Studio not their main Burbank one.)

No news but I really hope we get one. This game has been some of the most fun I've had with a game in a long time. The traversal is also one of the best I've ever used.

That does give me hope. I did tweet Phil about it, but got no response. :(

Montresor

I really want to retire this damn game from my collection and give it to my brother but I have a feeling Insomniac will randomly drop a title update to round out the game to 2000 gamerscore (up from 1925 gamerscore). =/ So I'm holding onto it.

I loved the game and I put in my 60 or so hours, and this was my runaway GOTY for 2014, but I want to move on.

J.Edge

Neo Member
I was going to ask this in the Sunset Overdrive PC speculation thread, but that has been closed for a while now – I guess we're assuming that an all-DLC-in-one GOTY-type version of Sunset Overdrive for the PC is a pipe dream now, huh?

Toppot

I was going to ask this in the Sunset Overdrive PC speculation thread, but that has been closed for a while now – I guess we're assuming that an all-DLC-in-one GOTY-type version of Sunset Overdrive for the PC is a pipe dream now, huh?

With each passing day it becomes more unlikely. Do Microsoft basically give the ok to lose one of the Xbox One's best exclusives and do Insomniac spend the time and money reworking their engine to work with a multitude of OS's, cards, Cpu's, configurations etc...

Seems unlikely in my opinion.

Been playing this again the last few nights, I've finished it got gold on all the challenges but I felt like messing about in the world again.

It's so good, it really is an injustice it didn't really do well at retail... My prediction is this game will end up with a cult following in years to come, we will be wanting a sequel next gen or something.

The game isn't appreciated, everyone talks about how good the Dreamcast was... Well this is a Sega game on the new Dreamcast 2, that's the style of game SO is.

The world for starters, it's not the biggest but when you consider how busy it is, how vertical it is, all the beautiful and stylish details, how you can interact with almost everything and use it to traverse across the whole map... The work done into this game just boggles my mind.

The controls are spot on, the audio is so video gamey... In fact the whole thing is the most video gamey game I've played in ages.

Screw the boring blockbusters, I want more GAMES.

Sydle

With each passing day it becomes more unlikely. Do Microsoft basically give the ok to lose one of the Xbox One's best exclusives and do Insomniac spend the time and money reworking their engine to work with a multitude of OS's, cards, Cpu's, configurations etc...

Seems unlikely in my opinion.

Well, it's Nadella's Microsoft now and he's about whatever helps Windows 10 and Azure. I suspect Insomniac really wanted SO to succeed so it would turn into a franchise, or why else would they care about owning the IP.

I'm still hopeful they release it on PC.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Been playing this again the last few nights, I've finished it got gold on all the challenges but I felt like messing about in the world again.

It's so good, it really is an injustice it didn't really do well at retail... My prediction is this game will end up with a cult following in years to come, we will be wanting a sequel next gen or something.

The game isn't appreciated, everyone talks about how good the Dreamcast was... Well this is a Sega game on the new Dreamcast 2, that's the style of game SO is.

The world for starters, it's not the biggest but when you consider how busy it is, how vertical it is, all the beautiful and stylish details, how you can interact with almost everything and use it to traverse across the whole map... The work done into this game just boggles my mind.

The controls are spot on, the audio is so video gamey... In fact the whole thing is the most video gamey game I've played in ages.

Screw the boring blockbusters, I want more GAMES.

That really is spot on. I almost cry thinking we might not ever get a sequel.

I just started playing this and looking at the guide I'm well over two thirds of the way through the game after 4 hours. I have just been focusing on the story mode, though.

Pretty fun game. Great art style, enjoyable traversal and to be honest I quite like the humour too. It' s not a funny game, but I think it knows how lame a lot of it is, which has an odd charm about it.

I'll probably wrap it up tomorrow in another 3 hours and then never touch it again, because I think it's a game that could overstay its welcome if I did anything other than the main game.

Sydle

I just started playing this and looking at the guide I'm well over two thirds of the way through the game after 4 hours. I have just been focusing on the story mode, though.

Pretty fun game. Great art style, enjoyable traversal and to be honest I quite like the humour too. It' s not a funny game, but I think it knows how lame a lot of it is, which has an odd charm about it.

I'll probably wrap it up tomorrow in another 3 hours and then never touch it again, because I think it's a game that could overstay its welcome if I did anything other than the main game.

I was pleasantly surprised at the diversity in missions and I had a lot of fun finding collectibles.

I would highly recommend the DLC.

Sydle

Is the DLC an extension of the main story (keeping in mind I haven't finished it yet)?

Yes, both are tied into the main story.

I don't want to spoil anything. If you are still having fun when you finish the main story then you should play through it. The bosses are a lot of fun.

I think Splatoon and Bloodborne are the best games I've played so far during this gen but I agree that Sunset Overdrive is an amazing game. Sunset City is probably the most beautiful place I've seen in an open world game too.

It's a shame I always have disconnecting problems while playing Chaos Squad.

Interesting thing to report?
Bought the game on disc and had it installed on my Xbox for a while. Noticed on Trueachievements there were a few more cheevos to try and went to my library and started it without the disc on the tray.

The game started and I was searching for the disc while waiting for the DRM message to kick in. Well... I've noticed the message never popped up. So I decided to start playing to see how long it would allow me to.

Well... I've played several hours, unlocked achievements, etc with no disc in the tray, just the old install (from launch week).

tl;dr: Game started without disc in tray. Physical purchase, license not associated with my account by any means.

Anybody else noticed it too?

Da fuq?!

Also, can u STILL get DRM issues even if u own the physical version?

Don't think so. The DRM message is for when you start a game installed on your HDD that you don't own the license. You can try it... After a few seconds, normally after the splash page, it will request you insert the disc or purchase it on the store.

.hacked

Grabbed the season pass on a whim today, man I hope we get a Sunset Overdrive part 2 one of these days. Such a great game.

Anybody else that feels this game should be Games with gold soon? It just deserves to get more attention and be played by every Xbox One owner.

Top Bottom