• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World for Wii U

Caramello

I was expecting 3D Land 2 and that's exactly what we got!

I loved the original on 3DS and I'm sure this'll be even better.

Having said that, I want to see more of a Mario 64-esque title later in the Wii U life as well.

Mr.Ock

I like to think this is NOT the main 3D Mario on Wii U. They will announce a proper Galaxy followup... Right guys?

Galang

Banned
I only just watched it on Nintendo's channel as I missed it due to the embarrassing lag... but it looks really good! I didn't expect Mario Kart to outdo this in graphics though... It's not the type of game I expected, but I'm personally glad they decided to try the multiplayer route with the game. The artstyle looks really nice and I love the retro icons in the top too. This is what NSMB should have been from the start. I just pray this has online...

Oh yay, they are shitting out another Mario game.
What era are these guys living in?

Uh we knew about this months ahead of time. No need to be snarky

Looks pretty cool. But this isn't really the successor to Mario 64 and Galaxy right?

Right?

There has to be something else in the pipeline....

Very dissapointed

i love it! played the shit out of 3d land

to be honest, i dont think, that galaxy 2 could have been topped bei another "regular" 3d mario

Biggest disappointment of E3. Galaxy games were full of ambition. This looks like another paint by numbers game; they can't be serious with that art style.

Sandfox

Nintendo probably went with this approach because their attempt to merge 2D and 3D worked on the 3DS. I liked 3D Land and this looks better in every way to me so I'll bite.

Same feeling I had. Literally thought it was a 3DS game at first.

I think you need to look at both this and 3D Land again if you think that.

traveler

Not Wario
For those that think this is okay. Think long and hard about what made SM64 and Galaxy great and then reflect on this game.

Nintendo are taking the piss.

What? First of all, SM64 is no longer great. Second, Galaxy is great because of level design, plain and simple, not the fucking aesthetic conceit the game is named after. This could be shapeless blocks for all I care and still be the best game of the entire generation. Granted, there's not enough here to call it great, but there also isn't enough to call it bad.

It will probably be fun but what a massive letdown after the Galaxy games.
So now, I have little to no interest in all three consoles. Great.

KAP151

This is their flagship Mario title? This is what they have been working on since Galaxy 2?

What the FUCK are they doing over in Japan?

And people were expecting Pixar in motion from this game so long ago. I'm sure this game will be at least fun because EAD Tokyo doesn't make bad games, but god this looks like they wanted to make a 3ds sequel and then decided they needed a wiiu game out

Einbroch

Banned
GAF before E3....WE'VE HAD ENOUGH GALAXY, SOMETHING DIFFERENT PLZ
GAF now....WHAR IS MARIO UNIVERSE? WHY NOT LIKE GALAXY
What are you even on about?

People wanted a new game that was as imaginative and fresh as Galaxy. People were and are not asking for another Galaxy.

Don't be dense.

Galang

Banned
If this was Galaxy 3 people would have still been complaining, but I would have loved that. Going by EAD's track record I have no reason to dismiss this. They could have polished the graphics a lot more, but it does look nice.

Farmboy

I'm confused by the disappointment... wasn't it already announced that the Wii U Mario would have a style similar to 3D Land? Heck, I've even referred to it informally as 'Super Mario 3D World' because of this. I'm only a little surprised that it's turned out to be the actual title and certainly am neither shocked nor disappointed by the way it looks.

3D Land is probably the most underrated Mario game ever. Which is Nintendo's own fault, since it only really gets going in the 'extra' worlds and by that time a lot of players might have given up. But go it does, from that point onward.

If the leap from 3D Land to 3D World is as large as the leap from NSMB to NSMBWii was then this is a classic in the making. And it might be: four player support is a fantastic indication of that.

Odrion

Banned
I'm seeing a running theme of Nintendo trying to push out easymade games to make up for their poor third party support.

balohna

I liked 3D Land, but I would have fucking loved to see the follow up to the core 3D Mario Series (64/Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2).

Hopefully that's coming eventually.

mISrmuA.jpg

I'm a little disappointed after Galaxy.

Tuck

GAF before E3....WE'VE HAD ENOUGH GALAXY, SOMETHING DIFFERENT PLZ
GAF now....WHAR IS MARIO UNIVERSE? WHY NOT LIKE GALAXY

People didn't want Galaxy 3. I don't see why thats unreasonable. They wanted something NEW. That was the whole point. How is 3D world new in any way? You're trying to make it seem like people would be disappointed either way but that is not the case. We just wanted something new and inspiring.

Pitmonkey

I got a very Mario 2 vib from this for obvious reasons. Lack luster is the best way I can describe my thoughts on this...

jts

...hate me...
Surprise motherfuckers! Same reaction to every Mario game ever!

For me it looked very very sweet. Platforming bliss, only on Nintendo. ®

Top Bottom