• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World for Wii U

Hiltz

While I agree that Super Mario 3D World wasn't draw dropping during its unveiling because it lacks the grandiose setting and concept that Mario Galaxy had, I still think it looks great and there's more to this game than what we have seen. Besides, we have only seen one trailer for this game, and the early levels are typically the least impressive areas of any Super Mario game. I'm also not concerned about variety of areas and platforming creativy the team can come up with. What was briefly shown in the trailer leaves me confident it won't be an issue.

I don't know what to really make of the music, but it is disappointing that it appears that it won't be orchestrated. As for people calling for EAD Tokyo to make a 3rd Galaxy game, I'm not so sure if that would be the right choice even if it turned out to be good. I mean, wouldn't people just criticize them for doing a 3rd Galaxy game? Let's face it, as great as Mario Galaxy 2 was (even better than the first in my opinion), it lost the wow factor that the first one naturally had since we became used to the spherical level design and gravity mechanics. Also, Yoshi turned out to be a rather dull addition the game except for his glowing light power-up.

NeoRausch

Played it today and man does it look awesome in person! way better than anything I saw on the net till now.
super smooth, colorful and clean and defined as hell.

multiplayer is chaotic as always.

DAY 1!

SuperJay

That is completely disingenuous to say the least. Mechanically, the controls are leagues ahead in galaxy. galaxy controls are far more responsive and accessible than SM64. Now, that's not to say SM64 doesn't have amazing controls because it certainly does, for the time. It's cool that you prefer them but they're not better.

I don't think you're correct and I'm not being disingenuous (but you are being presumptuous!). I think controls in SM64 might actually be better, if we take better to mean more options and more responsiveness. I'm willing to be proven* wrong on this, but from recent personal experience, SM64 felt like it slightly outclassed Galaxy.

*proof could come in the form of other people trying the two games back to back and coming to a consensus or maybe someone can think of a more objective measure, tracking input response vs movement lag vs movement canceling and changing or other variables.

gemoran4

Still very indifferent about this game. Not really jazzed up for it like I was Super Mario Galaxy, or even Super Mario Sunshine for that matter. I think it will be fun enough since I liked 3D Land and i can get friends to play with me, but i just can't myself all that excited for the game.

Same with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze actually, granted in terms of mechanics and gameplay it looks really cool, but I think aesthetically Retro could have done a much better job. Looks like it started as a Wii game honestly

Timeaisis

hopefully, although we've seen four levels only. First half, if there's any, will feature much more than that

That's actually a pretty good point. 3D Land was good, but didn't really do anything cool until halfway through the game. Then the level design really opened up and was pretty awesome. Maybe 3D World will have the same thing going?

I'm hopeful. But if not, I'll get my platforming fix from DKTF, like everyone else in this thread.

zruben

Banned
dear lord, this thread is kinda ugly.

I enjoyed 3D land... like... A LOT, so I see myself happily buying and playing this.

I think the argument that people seem to think is so strong, that this is supposedly just an expanded "handheld game" is utter nonsense.

It shares some very basic similarities with 3D Land, and the names are obviously based around one another. That's really where the similarities end.

It's true that this DOES have a different feel than the Galaxy series, but as someone who has actually had time playing it.. It does not feel like a handheld game at all.

I second the Yoshi pointer tongue love. The sound and that flip between the little flower bars just never gets old. I also really enjoyed the chili pepper speed sections.

jmls1121

Banned
I second the Yoshi pointer tongue love. The sound and that flip between the little flower bars just never gets old. I also really enjoyed the chili pepper speed sections.

One of the final stages, I think Bowser Galaxy Generator, where you get the chili pepper and take off through this long CLOSING corridor was insane and awesome.

That is all.

DaBoss

Yea, 3D Land was slammed pre-release (I was also viewing 3D Land negatively).

1. This is Anthony
2. This is Anthony
same was said bout 3D land

You're right (sorry Anthony), but he played the game so impressions should be taken at a higher regard than speculation.

I don't doubt this will be a good game and that I will enjoy it immensely, especially speedrunning it.

One of the final stages, I think Bowser Galaxy Generator, where you get the chili pepper and take off through this long CLOSING corridor was insane and awesome.

That is all.

That was indeed awesome.

Novocaine

Got to admit, another Galaxy would have had me more excited. I still haven't played 3D Land on DS yet so maybe I will change my mind after the fact.

3D land was enjoyable and I'm sure this will be to. The difference here is multiplayer, this is Nintendo and the best experiences have come from local multiplayer games. I for one have a partner to play this game with everyday, sometimes we might have friends over and play like we do with Nintendoland. The best part about it is we'll be jumping each others heads a lot less frequently.

That is all.

And the Galaxy where you had to run on the walls across gaps. I remember it being a wooden motif, but I don't remember which one it was.

Neff

Yeah, agreed. I really like NSMB and all the games in the series... but now it feels like it's starting to impact the 3D games, and that's bad.

Nintendo need to return to exploration, figuring out how to get stars, and a good HUB world for the 3D games.

I like this post and I like you.

That is all.

My favorite thing about the last Bowser level is getting to the flagpole near the end that takes you to Bowser, backflipping off Yoshi and climbing up the pole, and Yoshi waves goodbye as you head to the final encounter.

That always stuck with me.

bridegur

I wish I was more excited about this, but the more video I see, the duller it looks. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I expect more out of 3D Mario games.

I think it will be a good game, just like 3D Land was (though hopefully it will be a bit longer...).

It's a bit sad to me though to see Nintendo playing it safe but give how some of the assets and the gameplay responded well with consumers, I can understand why they'd try to build upon what they had to bring something out quicker, rather than going for something more unique and creative like Super Mario Galaxy was.

With that said however, it's not that the title that will make me take the plunge and purchase their console. I still want that spiritual successor to Galaxy, but if this game is it, I'll lose one of the few reasons I still expect to purchase this console in some time.

RagnarokX

Local multiplayer is an entirely optional game mode, unusable for many. It's not a new gameplay mechanic.

As for Sunshine, you're being reductive by saying the FLUDD is the same as the raccoon tail or cape. FLUDD doesn't slow your fall, it gives you hover based on a limited resource mechanic. It doesn't give you flight and requires no momentum to use. It can give you a rocket boost high up in the air. And the spray nozzle is a shooting mechanic, unlike either of the power-ups you mentioned.

What FLUDD did share with the raccoon and cape is that it fundamentally altered the level design in 3D Mario, differentiating it from the other games. The only way multiplayer fundamentally alters this game is by making it easier because the platforms have to be larger to accommodate more players at once.

Sunshine was basically an expansion of Mario 64 with a new item. The FLUDD acts like the raccoon tail. Raccoon Tail gave you a limited hover and the ability to fly based on a limited resource (speed). The main difference is that you have FLUDD for most of the game and it is rarely taken away, so levels are built around its use (for better or worse).

Multiplayer didn't make NSMBU any easier. Do these platforms in Super Mario 3D World look like they were made too big to accommodate multiple players?

idU5qwBIg9SId.gif

You can say things, but that doesn't make them true.

The way I see it, 3D World is an expansion of where Galaxy was going with Mario, minus to gravity mechanic to make things more challenging with an even greater focus on more complex and challenging platforming focused level design.

I think if Super Mario 3D World had the same exact levels, but with a regular free form camera like the previous 3D console Mario games, I would be way more excited for this. I don't know why, but just have it stuck in an isometric view (even if the camera is given far more freedom than in 3D Land) makes it feel...cheap?

It has more camera control than the Galaxy games had...

iPzVLDQEGaeoe.gif

Sunshine was basically an expansion of Mario 64 with a new item. The FLUDD acts like the raccoon tail. Raccoon Tail gave you a limited hover and the ability to fly based on a limited resource (speed). The main difference is that you have FLUDD for most of the game and it is rarely taken away, so levels are built around its use (for better or worse).

That item wasn't merely an "item". Because it was with you all the times, it fundamentally changed the game and Mario's moveset. You didn't even mention the spray mechanic which is the focal point of a lot of the Shines you get in that game.

It's based on Mario 64's foundation, but it is not the direct sequel with the same moves/mechanics like this game is.

Multiplayer didn't make NSMBU any easier. Do these platforms in Super Mario 3D World look like they were made too big to accommodate multiple players?

The gif with Mario throwing Luigi onto the platform with the rolling spikes looks like it was made too big. Two of the areas in the gif you showed me are open. The small platforms with Peach look more like a few platforms to get to the ? box, not the main way to traverse the levels, which looks to be in the back. Only the part with Toad really gives us an idea if the platforms will be small (and there's plenty of space in front and behind him).

I won't speak to NSMBU's platform sizes because the NSMB series is stale as a game can get. When I saw that they once again didn't change the physics, mechanics, or level design philosophy, NSMBU (sadly) became the first Mario platformer I passed on. That doesn't make me pleased either. And I worry the 3D games are going down the same assembly-line manufactured path that they used to ruin 2D Mario.

The way I see it, 3D World is an expansion of where Galaxy was going with Mario, minus to gravity mechanic to make things more challenging with an even greater focus on more complex and challenging platforming focused level design.

You can say things, but that doesn't make them true. Neither one of us knows the challenge or complexity of the overall game. What we do know is that this shares the exact same mechanics as 3D Land (8 way digital movement, 3 Star Coins/Green stars, timer, flag pole, etc) and, according to the devs, is a direct sequel.

I won't speak to NSMBU's platform sizes because the NSMB series is stale as a game can get. When I saw that they once again didn't change the physics, mechanics, or level design philosophy, NSMBU (sadly) became the first Mario platformer I passed on. That doesn't make me pleased either. And I worry the 3D games are going down the same assembly-line manufactured path that they used to ruin 2D Mario.
angrymizgirl_139403.gif

Ouch! That's a really harsh way of putting things, but I quite agree with you and share your concern.

[/IMG]

That's the opposite of how I see it.

Those gifs look like they're expanding on what 3D Land's goal was which was to make a 3D Mario game more like a 2D Mario game. From the footage that's been shown (particularly the gifs you keep posting), they seem to be focusing on less complex 2D platforming instead of using the full benefits that being in 3D can provide. In the gif with Peach, she's just running and jumping in a purely sidescrolling series of platforms, and in the background you can see another series of purely sidescrolling platforms. So far what has been shown of the 3D movement in the game seems to be more of a means of getting the player to different 2D platforming challenges than it is about actual platforming in 3 dimensions. It seems like they allow you to dink around in 3D, but once you get to the actual platforming bits you just do those like you would in any 2D Mario game.

Now this isn't to say that there won't be challenging platforming that comes out of a more simplified 3D platformer, and maybe in later levels there will be more complex level designs where you are platforming in all different directions. I certainly HOPE they do, at least.

Dr.Hadji

Local multiplayer is an entirely optional game mode, unusable for many. It's not a new gameplay mechanic.

Yes multiplayer is a mode not a mechanic. What does that fact have to do with 3d Mario multiplayer being a notable new feature that could influence its design on a fundamental level? And your optional angle is a slippery one. Lots of things a Mario game are optional. That's kind of one of the hallmarks of Mario's design. Powers are optional, secrets are optional, levels are optional, some mechanics are optional, modes are optional, difficulty is what you make of it, ect. Even the hover nozzle in Sunshine is mostly (nearly) optional. The trick is how the games layer all these optional elements together and what kind of unique design space results from their use.

As for Sunshine, you're being reductive by saying the FLUDD is the same as the raccoon tail or cape. FLUDD doesn't slow your fall, it gives you hover based on a limited resource mechanic. It doesn't give you flight and requires no momentum to use. It can give you a rocket boost high up in the air. And the spray nozzle is a shooting mechanic, unlike either of the power-ups you mentioned.

Well I was intentionally being general in my comparisons. The FLUDD isn't the exact same as the Raccoon Tail or the Cape just like the Raccoon tail isn't the exact same as the cape,or the propeller hat, or the squirrel suit, or a mid-air twirl. But their general design purpose (as stated in the Mario Galaxy Iwata Asks) is to provide a platforming aid to players by controlling their decent is some way. As a platforming aid, the FLUDD is the first 3d version of the cape. But even though they serve a same general purpose, its inclusion in a 3d Mario (as well as some other unique attributes) provided a unique experience. I don't see any reason why multiplayer in a 3d Mario doesn't have the possibility of doing the same.

What FLUDD did share with the raccoon and cape is that it fundamentally altered the level design in 3D Mario, differentiating it from the other games. The only way multiplayer fundamentally alters this game is by making it easier because the platforms have to be larger to accommodate more players at once.

Well, if you were designing the game and this was the only thing you could come up with, then I'd be worried. Luckily, you're not. If the multiplayer is anything like 2d Mario multiplayer then I have nothing to be worried about.

RagnarokX

That item wasn't merely an "item". Because it was with you all the times, it fundamentally changed the game and Mario's moveset. You didn't even mention the spray mechanic which is the focal point of a lot of the Shines you get in that game.

It's based on Mario 64's foundation, but it is not the direct sequel with the same moves/mechanics like this game is.

The gif with Mario throwing Luigi onto the platform with the rolling spikes looks like it was made too big. Two of the areas in the gif you showed me are open. The small platforms with Peach look more like a few platforms to get to the ? box, not the main way to traverse the levels, which looks to be in the back. Only the part with Toad really gives us an idea if the platforms will be small (and there's plenty of space in front and behind him).

You can say things, but that doesn't make them true. Neither one of us knows the challenge or complexity of the overall game. What we do know is that this shares the exact same mechanics as 3D Land (8 way digital movement, 3 Star Coins/Green stars, timer, flag pole, etc) and, according to the devs, is a direct sequel.

The FLUDD also had the spray mechanic, that's true. So it was also a new projectile weapon like fire flowers, too. I said that the FLUDD is always with you, so I don't see why you're acting like I didn't make that point.

3D World has new powerup(s) too. The cat suit has moves that Mario has never really had before, and levels are designed around it.

Sunshine, imo, was worse than a direct sequel. The tropical island theme that all of the levels had wore thin quickly and the Fludd didn't really make the game more fun, just easier. The FLUDDless levels were truly challenging, and guess what 3D World is similar to.

The platform with rolling spikes is no bigger than it would have been in other 3D Marios. The levels aren't any more open than other 3D Marios, and one of the complaints is that the game ISN'T OPEN ENOUGH. The platforms in this game don't appear to have been made any bigger than they need to be.

NSMBU is by far the best 2D Mario ever made. It's a shame that you won't even give a game a try based on how it looks. You say that NSMB is manufactured, and while the art direction may have been standardized, the level design and gameplay is anything but manufactured.

I'm not just saying things. I'm using visual evidence to back up what I'm saying. What you are saying, things like the platforms being too big, isn't supported by reality.

Yes multiplayer is a mode not a mechanic. What does that fact have to do with 3d Mario multiplayer being a notable new feature that could influence its design on a fundamental level? And your optional angle is a slippery one. Lots of things a Mario game are optional. That's kind of one of the hallmarks of Mario's design. Powers are optional, secrets are optional, levels are optional, some mechanics are optional, modes are optional, difficulty is what you make of it, ect. Even the hover nozzle in Sunshine is mostly (nearly) optional. The trick is how the games layer all these optional elements together and what kind of unique design space results from their use.

Well I was intentionally being general in my comparisons. The FLUDD isn't the exact same as the Raccoon Tail or the Cape just like the Raccoon tail isn't the exact same as the cape,or the propeller hat, or the squirrel suit, or a mid-air twirl. But their general design purpose (as stated in the Mario Galaxy Iwata Asks) is to provide a platforming aid to players by controlling their decent is some way. As a platforming aid, the FLUDD is the first 3d version of the cape. But even though they serve a same general purpose, its inclusion in a 3d Mario (as well as some other unique attributes) provided a unique experience. I don't see any reason why multiplayer in a 3d Mario doesn't have the possibility of doing the same.

Well, if you were designing the game and this was the only thing you could come up with, then I'd be worried. Luckily, you're not. If the multiplayer is anything like 2d Mario multiplayer then I have nothing to be worried about.

Multiplayer is not optional in the same way that you can simply not use moves. Moves, items, power-ups are all intrinsic parts of the game, whether or not you use them. Those comprise gameplay. There is a difference between gameplay and a game mode.

Multiplayer is removed from that because many players will simply just play this game by themselves, which is how 3D Marios were traditionally played before Nintendo saw money by shoe-horning in multiplayer modes to all their games.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
While I was also very eager for a 3D Mario more like the galaxy games, I have no reason to think that EAD Tokyo will drop the ball with this one. I hope they'll show some more stuff soon!

Also: How can this Freezie guy bash the level designs of a game he hasn't touched? lol You can say what you want about the artstyle or whatever in NSMBU, but it has some of the best level designs in a 2D mario for a pretty long time.

where is this increased challenge and higher complexity in level design?
we've seen world six already, and it looks easier and more duller than the earliest levels of both galaxy games.
How does removing the gravity mechanic make it more challenging?

NSMBU is by far the best 2D Mario ever made. It's a shame that you won't even give a game a try based on how it looks. You say that NSMB is manufactured, and while the art direction may have been standardized, the level design and gameplay is anything but manufactured.

I'm just going to pull this out as a bullshit strawman. I said that the mechanics, physics, and level design philosophy were all standardized and stale, and then you accused me of disliking the game for its art direction. How can we even have a conversation about this if you're not even going to read what I typed?

I've played NSMB 1-3. The games all play identically. Yes, there are tiny differences with the coin flower or whatever, but the games control alike and feel alike. Extremely similar physics. Little to no variation of moves. The same basic enemies and hazards just mixed-and-matched in different level packs. That has nothing to do with art direction and everything to do with how the games play.

edit:

Also: How can this Freezie guy bash the level designs of a game he hasn't touched? lol

I said NSMBU has the same level design philosophy which is abundantly clear from watching the videos. It's the same hazards and enemies and Mario moves to avoid them.

And I didn't speak to the level design in this game, except to say that the crucial platforms will likely have to accommodate 4 players.

Also, I agree that much of the platforming does look 2D because (1) this is a direct sequel to a game I played and (2) this is likely by design because of the 8-way digital control.

lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Newegg has Mario 3D world for 10% off of pre-orders, until August 28th.

I know people have issues with Newegg, but I personally never had, and those issues are mainly with games that were pre-ordered a year in advance. I'm posting here regardless so you can make up your mind if this is a good deal or not for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16878190365

Thanks for posting that, taking advantage of it. Only Newegg preorder issue I've had was on UPS being idiots and forgetting to drop off the package, so Newegg had to resend it.

Fighting the camera isn't skill.

Cameraman Lakitu is the true final boss of Mario 64.

Colonel

Neo Member
Since this is called Super Mario 3D World and 3D land was on the 3DS, can we expect for Nintendo to make this there first 3D compatible game for WII U?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I've played NSMB 1-3. The games all play identically. Yes, there are tiny differences with the coin flower or whatever, but the games control alike and feel alike. Extremely similar physics. Little to no variation of moves. The same basic enemies and hazards just mixed-and-matched in different level packs. That has nothing to do with art direction and everything to do with how the games play.

I actually find that the controls and physics in NSMB 2 are very different from the others in the series. It has a feel much more similar to SM3, than NSMB Wii.

But we are straying far off topic here.

RagnarokX

where is this increased challenge and higher complexity in level design?
we've seen world six already, and it looks easier and more duller than the earliest levels of both galaxy games.
How does removing the gravity mechanic make it more challenging?

The level design looks more complex than Galaxy games. Galaxy was full of planetoids that didn't have much going on and very basic platforming sections. Conversely the levels we've seen in 3D World are as big or bigger and more densely packed with enemies, platforms, moving objects, etc. The levels are also very pretty at full resolution and high frame rate.

The gravity mechanic could be used so that if you missed a jump you just fell back around. That doesn't happen here. Also if you want to make jumps easier you're going to need a tanooki suit or use Luigi/Peach since the spin is gone.

I'm just going to pull this out as a bullshit strawman. I said that the mechanics, physics, and level design philosophy were all standardized and stale, and then you accused me of disliking the game for its art direction. How can we even have a conversation about this if you're not even going to read what I typed?

I said looks. You said you didn't play NSMBU, so you obviously did nothing more than look at it. That said you clearly didn't look very hard. Should I have used "glanced at" instead? The level design is much better than any previous NSMB and every level is built with care. It's much more challenging and fun. The squirrel suit is a very nice new powerup, like the cape but not broken. Every level feels unique and has its own identity apart from the world it is in.

Multiplayer is removed from that because many players will simply just play this game by themselves, which is how 3D Marios were traditionally played before Nintendo saw money by shoe-horning in multiplayer modes to all their games.

How the hell is this shoehorning? This is a game completely designed with multiplayer in mind. Nintendo has shown a lot of consideration for multiplayer with this game.

If you want shoehorned multiplayer you can actually find that with Super Mario Galaxy.

Red UFO

Did people worry that 3D Mario was going down "the assembly line route that 2D Mario went down" when Galaxy 2 was announced?

Since this is called Super Mario 3D World and 3D land was on the 3DS, can we expect for Nintendo to make this there first 3D compatible game for WII U?
No.

Sendou

3D isn't big at all anymore. More so the way Nintendo laughed at 3D glasses as something archaic when they announced 3DS wouldn't go well together with them doing the exact same thing with their own games.

Hearing of the shitty long jump has basically shit on any goodwill I may have had left for this game.

Fuck 3D Land and what it has done to 3D Mario.

Game looks great. Dunno what the fuss is about. 3D Land was terrific and felt like a classic Mario game in 3D. I don't get this negative separation between "Galaxy-like" and "3D Land-like." To me it's just two similar types of styles, only difference being that the 3D Land style is more of a straightforward get to the end of the course setup.

I don't have a problem with this, especially considering that it's probably not going to be the only major Mario game on Wii U. Some people are treating this game like a doomsday scenario, like Nintendo won't ever make any more Mario games like Galaxy or 64.

3D Land sucks. It's a 3D Mario made for people who don't like 3D Mario.

So 3D Land isn't 3D Mario?

Top Bottom