• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World for Wii U

effzee

Aside from the arguing about how the game looks, whether its a proper sequel, or whatever else has been going on in this thread what has been the general consensus from the people who actually played it?

Is it on par to be another great adventure?

AwShucks

Having just not gotten to the final world of 3D Land and having played Galaxy 1 and 2 to completion I will say that...

Nintendo needs to just make Super Mario 128 or something. Give me my gigantic levels with a bunch of stars to get based on doing different things. I do enjoy 3D Land, probably more than the Galaxy games, but every time a new "3D" Mario game comes out I just wish I had the level style of 64/Sunshine.

As a person who loves 3D Mario, I loved 3D Land.

The argument could be made that the first half of the game was too easy, but beyond that how did it "suck"?
Mario's moveset is bothersomely limited, without true analogue movement and requiring a run button of all things. In a 3D Mario. Fuck that.

The level design is simplistic and the game is all too easy (especially for the boring as hell first half), and the art design is a big tribute to NSMB's generic and sterile art direction. It's a poor man's 3D Mario platformer designed to be as much like a 2D Mario as possible, bending over backwards to include people who didn't like 3D Mario to begin with at the loss of those who did.

topplehat

Mario's moveset is bothersomely limited, without true analogue movement and requiring a run button of all things. In a 3D Mario. Fuck that.

The level design is simplistic and the game is all too easy (especially for the boring as hell first half), and the art design is a big tribute to NSMB's generic and sterile art direction. It's a poor man's 3D Mario platformer designed to be as much like a 2D Mario as possible, bending over backwards to include people who didn't like 3D Mario to begin with at the loss of those who did.

Basically you don't like it.

Santar

Has there been any mention of the game getting actual analogue controls?
And I don't get the hate on the run button, Mario 3D Land had it along with analogue controls and it worked very well.

goldenpp72

3D Land sucks. It's a 3D Mario made for people who don't like 3D Mario.

Weird, I love Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and 3D Land.. I think Galaxy 2 was the best game of the generation and 3D land is easily the best game on the 3DS. While I am NOT happy this game is on U (I wanted it on 3DS with a bigger scale game for U) I'm still sure it will be very good.

I won't speak to NSMBU's platform sizes because the NSMB series is stale as a game can get. When I saw that they once again didn't change the physics, mechanics, or level design philosophy, NSMBU (sadly) became the first Mario platformer I passed on.
That's a damned shame, because NSMBU is leagues ahead of either other NSMB game.

We're going to have to disagree. While the level design was simplified from previous games, I never once felt like it detracted from the overall experience. And while it WAS easy throughout the first half, I was ALWAYS enjoying myself.

I've been playing Mario games since the NES days, and have been there throughout the evolution of the series. And I absolutely loved 3D Land from start to finish. So, please learn to speak only for yourself when you make your assertions, please.

I said looks. You said you didn't play NSMBU, so you obviously did nothing more than look at it. That said you clearly didn't look very hard. Should I have used "glanced at" instead? The level design is much better than any previous NSMB and every level is built with care. It's much more challenging and fun. The squirrel suit is a very nice new powerup, like the cape but not broken. Every level feels unique and has its own identity apart from the world it is in.

I've watched videos on the game. It's not like YouTube isn't full of them for me to review before declining to make a purchase.

My problem with NSMB is not the art. Does Mario move the same? Yes. Same triple jump, butt stomp, etc.? Yes. Does everything have the same basic physics? Yes. Same basic power-ups? Yes. Even as you say, the squirrel is just a revised cape. DK'94 for friggin' Gameboy added more to Mario's moveset than the whole NSMB series.

Are the levels different? Sure. So it's a level pack. That's why I use the term level design philosophy. Because I know what a NSMB game feels and plays like. The elements and types of hazards are largely the same. They don't even bother to mix up the games' elements of the three coins, timer, and flagpole (all which made it into 3D World).

Red UFO said:
Did people worry that 3D Mario was going down "the assembly line route that 2D Mario went down" when Galaxy 2 was announced?

No. For a few reasons. Most importantly, this is the first 3D Mario to debut on a home console and be a direct sequel. A repeat of the Galaxy formula was done on the same console.

Also, one of the hallmarks of the Galaxy series is how radically different each segment felt from the next. So with the addition of the Cloud and Rock suits and new Yoshi mechanics, the game looked to add more than this one does.

Further, 3D World/Land work by adopting elements of the 2D games, which are already stale. So while Galaxy was its own thing, 3D Land features digital movement, which makes the platforming based on more straight lines (like the gif with Peach). It's timed like the 2D games, determining how you play through the levels. And much of the challenge comes from finding and getting the three Star Coins. The 3D Land/World series homogenizes the 3D games with the stale NSMB series, making it seem even more tired than the "first" sequel should be.

Novocaine

I actually find that the controls and physics in NSMB 2 are very different from the others in the series. It has a feel much more similar to SM3, than NSMB Wii.

But we are straying far off topic here.

Ooooh, this has me a bit more interested in NSMB 2 now. I might bump it up a few spots on my wishlist.

zhorkat

3D Marios have tried to be like 2D Mario for a while now. That's why 2D platforming segments exist in the Galaxy games.

My problem with NSMB is not the art. Does Mario move the same? Yes. Same triple jump, butt stomp, etc.? Yes. Does everything have the same basic physics? Yes. Same basic power-ups? Yes. Even as you say, the squirrel is just a revised cape. DK'94 for friggin' Gameboy added more to Mario's moveset than the whole NSMB series.

You should play NSLU then. Obviously, by virtue of it featuring Luigi and having Luigi-specific physics, it is the actual true successor in the NSMB series.

Dr.Hadji

Multiplayer is not optional in the same way that you can simply not use moves. Moves, items, power-ups are all intrinsic parts of the game, whether or not you use them. Those comprise gameplay. There is a difference between gameplay and a game mode.

Multiplayer is removed from that because many players will simply just play this game by themselves, which is how 3D Marios were traditionally played before Nintendo saw money by shoe-horning in multiplayer modes to all their games.

You're really not arguing with me anymore. Multiplayer is a feature of the game. A main feature in the game. Where you want to break it down from there is your choice. Just because you don't want to or can't (or speaking up for the people who don't/can't) want to play multi doesn't mean it shouldn't count for or against the game. That quintessential Mario single player experience as the sole measure of a Mario is a time long gone. NSMBWii happened awhile ago.

Multiplayer Mario is a commonly accepted way in which to value a Mario game now. Look no further than this thread The depth/design of New Mario Bros U. You got videos from mission modes, single player, AND multiplayer. Don't see anyone in the thread saying those amazing feats don't really count because they're playing it multiplayer and not everyone can do that.

3D Land I was pretty meh on, mostly due to the controls. It just didn't feel right to me. Mario felt very stiff and restricted compared to other 3D Marios. Part of it is the awful analogue nub of the 3DS which I dislike in general, but Mario felt slower, heavier, and couldn't jump as far. It was the first Mario game that wasn't fun to simply just run and jump around in.

I am very much looking forward to 3D World, though I am concerned that it might not be as challenging for single player, as many of the platforms and areas seem to be much wider and less dense so as to accommodate four players. Even if Mario moves the same way he did in 3D Land, at least I will have a decent analogue stick to control him with. The level design and overall creativity looks much better than 3D Land. The Wii U will be the platformer fan's dream holiday... RL, SLW, DKC:TF and SM3DW... ::Drools::

We're going to have to disagree. While the level design was simplified from previous games, I never once felt like it detracted from the overall experience. And while it WAS easy throughout the first half, I was ALWAYS enjoying myself.

I've been playing Mario games since the NES days, and have been there throughout the evolution of the series. And I absolutely loved 3D Land from start to finish. So, please learn to speak only for yourself when you make your assertions, please.
I may have been a little extreme at first, but I think that we can all make the safe assumption that, if I said it, it is my personal feeling on the matter.

3D Marios have tried to be like 2D Mario for a while now. That's why 2D platforming segments exist in the Galaxy games.
It really wasn't until 3D Land that it started negatively impacting the controls and art.

I truly flat out consider 3D Land the most disappointing 3D Mario ever (even above Sunshine) and is just about as furthest from the direction I'd like to see 3D Mario go, so I am understandably peeved about 3D World.

Multiplayer is not optional in the same way that you can simply not use moves. Moves, items, power-ups are all intrinsic parts of the game, whether or not you use them. Those comprise gameplay. There is a difference between gameplay and a game mode.

Multiplayer is removed from that because many players will simply just play this game by themselves, which is how 3D Marios were traditionally played before Nintendo saw money by shoe-horning in multiplayer modes to all their games.

Nintendo wanted to do multiplayer in 3D Mario since Mario 64 (and tried to put it in 64 splitscreen, but it didn't work so it was scrapped)

It's okay to not like it, but it's very clear that it's something they've wanted to do for a long time.

Nintendo wanted to do multiplayer in 3D Mario since Mario 64 (and tried to put it in 64 splitscreen, but it didn't work so it was scrapped)

It's okay to not like it, but it's very clear that it's something they've wanted to do for a long time.

I'm honestly fine if they want to tack on a multiplayer mode to their games. My problem is when that is the unique hook. NSMBWii wasn't more innovative because it had a multiplayer mode. It still played just like its predecessor. Same with this game.

If they create a mind-blowing new way of playing 3D Mario worthy of debuting on a home console and that game has a multiplayer mode, that's cool. My objection is that this multiplayer mode is something that is seen as something that differentiates the gameplay, while I see a game that plays just like the one before it.

I may have been a little extreme at first, but I think that we can all make the safe assumption that, if I said it, it is my personal feeling on the matter.

I never said that it wasn't. However, you also made statements regarding how it was to 3D Mario fans. That's you speaking for more than just yourself, even if it wasn't your direct intention. I understand that you're angry about how the game turned out, and I've been there with regard to a few games myself.. but still, that's not a rational statement.

Yes that is true, but being Nintendo and all, expectations are through the roof, so I understand some of the complaints here on GAF and elsewhere. I think the biggest problem is that people have a vision of how Nintendo should do things(like releasing the next Mario 64 style solo game). When that persons expectation doesn't line up with how Nintendo approaches things then that's when long time fans get pissed off.

I, for one will get this game, and I will probably enjoy it, but I still expect Nintendo to make another Super Mario 64 style solo game that feels epic and has graphics that look as good or better than the upcoming Mario Kart game.

There is a lot Nintendo can do to keep the 64 style fans happy. My suggestion would be that they release Super Mario All Stars 2 next year while they work on the next Mario game under the 64 lineage. This interim fix would have HD versions of 64, Sunshine and both Galaxy games on it. All for $59.99. I would buy it. That should do the trick until they finish Mario's next solo outing.

LordGouda

I'm quite happy that they decided to put in nunchuk support for the game. Before, it was just the D-Pad, and God knows how annoying it would have been if it stayed just that way.

plank

Has there been any mention of the game getting actual analogue controls?
And I don't get the hate on the run button, Mario 3D Land had it along with analogue controls and it worked very well.

From a recent Edge article.

Super Mario 3D World is clearly being sold on its multiplayer – this is, after all, the first 3D Mario game to offer it – and we were relieved to see that Nunchuk support has been added in this second hands-on with the game. At E3, those not using the GamePad were forced to navigate 3D space with the Wii Remote’s D-pad.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/super-mario-3d-world/

Edge said:
That said, this is an exquisitely enhanced successor, certainly looking the part even if it doesn’t necessarily play it.

Not an enthusiastic preview at all. Of course, some will claim bias just as they did with the review for Wonderful 101.

WARP10CK

Banned
The cynicism in here is incredible and I have to ask the people who had a chance to play it at gamescom is it really THAT bad ?

TrueBlue

About orchestrated music, they haven't confirmed/denied have they? I know the Galaxy composers are back for this game, and they were pretty coy about an orchestra being used.

Regiruler

I don't agree with the first portion as I found the controls to be perfectly fine: 3d Mario messes with control styles all the time.

I do agree with the second portion.

Sipheren

Banned
I really don't understand the hate that is being placed on a game from EAD that no-one has really played yet.

Everything I have seen looks fantastic, have some faith in Nintendo, the one thing they can do well is make great games.

Not concerned about the demos being shown. 3D Land looked boring too early on and was judged just as harshly as this game is. What I am concerned about is the depth. 3D Land was purposely short and you can tell the depth wasn't there compared to Galaxy which was understandable because it was on a handheld. I hope this isn't just 3D Land 2 with a focus on multiplayer which I fear it is. I want really long levels in this.

JazzmanZ

I really don't understand the hate that is being placed on a game from EAD that no-one has really played yet.

Everything I have seen looks fantastic, have some faith in Nintendo, the one thing they can do well is make great games.

Barely anyone has any faith in Nintendo on this board, I'm honest with calling it more of a Sony board than gaming one itself.

It has more camera control than the Galaxy games had...

iPzVLDQEGaeoe.gif

WOW! *drools*

Xedah66

Barely anyone has any faith in Nintendo on this board, I'm honest with calling it more of a Sony board than gaming one itself.

I thought everyone knew of the heavy sony bias on neogaf. Anyway 3D world looks great. Gonna force my friends to play with me when it comes out.

Gsnap

Game looks good to me. Some of the people playing the demo make the game look bad, but I can see I'll have fun with it. And I get some of the complaints, but a lot of you are just complaining that it lacks flair or style. Not really valid in my opinion.

I've been waiting for them to return to the mario bros 2 style characters, and I've been waiting for them to make a 3D mario with multiplayer. Add to that all the suits, the new bosses (3D Lands' bosses were very disappointing), and all the other stuff. Looks like tons of fun to me.

RagnarokX

I've watched videos on the game. It's not like YouTube isn't full of them for me to review before declining to make a purchase.

Are the levels different? Sure. So it's a level pack. That's why I use the term level design philosophy. Because I know what a NSMB game feels and plays like. The elements and types of hazards are largely the same. They don't even bother to mix up the games' elements of the three coins, timer, and flagpole (all which made it into 3D World).

No. For a few reasons. Most importantly, this is the first 3D Mario to debut on a home console and be a direct sequel. A repeat of the Galaxy formula was done on the same console.

Also, one of the hallmarks of the Galaxy series is how radically different each segment felt from the next. So with the addition of the Cloud and Rock suits and new Yoshi mechanics, the game looked to add more than this one does.

Further, 3D World/Land work by adopting elements of the 2D games, which are already stale. So while Galaxy was its own thing, 3D Land features digital movement, which makes the platforming based on more straight lines (like the gif with Peach). It's timed like the 2D games, determining how you play through the levels. And much of the challenge comes from finding and getting the three Star Coins. The 3D Land/World series homogenizes the 3D games with the stale NSMB series, making it seem even more tired than the "first" sequel should be.
This is, quite frankly, bullshit. NSMBU is head and shoulders above NSMBWii. The level design is far more complex than the Wii game was able to pull off. It's more challenging, more fun, and looks better to boot with a better art style and HD graphics. You use derisive terms like "level pack" to describe it because you want to just write it off. So what if they standardized the physics. They don't need to radically change every game. They don't need to mix up the elements of star coins and flag poles because they are great as they are. What would you change about star coins? Collecting them is fun, challenging, and far better than what SMW did.

3D Land had more unique levels than Galaxy did. It adds powerups that the level design is built around.

How are power stars not stale in 3D Mario? If this was more in line with Mario 64 I doubt you would be complaining about them. What is the functional difference between flagpoles and the majority of the stars in Mario Galaxy?

Wii had octagonal analog stick gates. Mario Galaxy didn't make much if any use of free analog movement. From what I understand, 3D World doesn't lock you to 8 directions but guides you to make it easier to run in those directions.

3D World also hardly looks like NSMB. The character designs are based on their artwork but much more detailed than in NSMB. Better animations, too.

I wanted a successor to 64, Sunshine and Galaxy, and instead I'm getting a souped-up, HD version of 3D Land.

Not what I wanted. At all.

The problem is, this game is basically isometric. It's not really a true 3D Mario action game like 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy were. It's a hybrid between NSMB and 3D Mario games. It's like Sonic 3D Blast is to Sonic on Genesis vs Sonic Adventure. Does that make sense to anyone else?

I'm not saying it won't be fun, I'm just saying that... it's not the Mario game I wanted for Wii U. It's like... halfway there for me. Sort of like the same feeling I had when I found out the new Retro game was a direct sequel to DKCR. I loved DKCR, and I'm glad there's more coming... but... it's not the game I wanted for Wii U. I feel like I just played DKCR and 3D Land. I don't want direct, safe sequels to those games so soon.

ehhhhh, I had more fun with Wii than NSMBU. I had to force myself to finish U I was so bored of it by world 6(which is about around when it starts getting challenging, funny enough). The entire series just runs together in my head unfortunately, so I think I just had my fill on that series and it's aesthetics, physics, and music for the forseeable future.

Top Bottom