• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Adventures comic book is finally getting reprint

I think I'll try to get this if and/or when it comes up for pre-order in Canada. I wasn't able to read the entire comic when I was a kid.

Teknoman

Whatever happened to these, though? Are these the same thing?

gb_no1_cover.jpg

smb_no2_cover.jpg

764630-ovncs1.jpg

("Hot Nintendo Action", lol)

I had some of these as a kid.

I had the second one, I think it had an audio tape to go along with it? Also is that kid eating butter in the first?

Raitaro

So, just to be clear: are these the Mario equivalents of these Zelda LTTP comics that Viz published some time ago:

RboUSzE.jpg
?

If so, that's great! I loved Viz's collection of the Zelda comics.

Do we now have all the major comic runs from Nintendo Power in some reprinted format by the way or are we missing stuff still? I never read the magazine here in Europe so I have no clue which series they had apart from these two. I vaguely remember someone mentioning Star Fox and Metroid but I could be wrong.

Oh, and how about the Nester comics themselves? Weren't they a big thing as well? Those aren't available in collected form either, right?

Final slightly unrelated question: does anynone know if there have ever been similar "cartoony" comics about Sonic that appeared in Sega magazines etc.? By Japanese artists I mean, so not the Archie ones?

Edit: now we wait for Amazon pre-orders to appear, I guess...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So, just to be clear: are these the Mario equivalents of these Zelda LTTP comics that Viz published some time ago:

RboUSzE.jpg
?

If so, that's great! I loved Viz's collection of the Zelda comics.
Yup, that book contained all the LttP comics that were in Nintendo Power, so indeed, it's the Mario comics from NP, thougb waaaay long ago, they actually did publish the comics in a stand alone book, but had long been out of print & seems to go for about $70+ on eBay & freakin' $200 on Amazon.

I didn't know this was part of Nintendo Power. I remember borrowing a collection book of this back in Elementary.

Fun comic, especially with Peach fending for herself and wearing Weegee's outfit.

What happened to the author behind this SMW comic, anyway? He seemed to have done this and nothing else beyond the godlike Even a Monkey can Draw Manga.

Katsuya Terada, the artist behind the some Nintendo Power comics like the Zelda LTTP comic posted above, is (assumably) an accomplished illustrator who still does work.

CloakBass

Katsuya Terada, the artist behind the some Nintendo Power comics like the Zelda LTTP comic posted above, is (assumably) an accomplished illustrator who still does work.

You're thinking of Shotaro Ishinomori. Terada was responsible for some great Nintendo Power article and strategy illustrations though.

Raitaro

Yup, that book contained all the LttP comics that were in Nintendo Power, so indeed, it's the Mario comics from NP, thougb waaaay long ago, they actually did publish the comics in a stand alone book, but had long been out of print & seems to go for about $70+ on eBay & freakin' $200 on Amazon.

I see. Thanks for confirming.

Yeah, I just noticed the older version as an Amazon result and was amazed by the 199 dollar price point. This new version would make it more affordable to own these comics to say the least.

What happened to the author behind this SMW comic, anyway? He seemed to have done this and nothing else beyond the godlike Even a Monkey can Draw Manga.

Good question. While Wikipedia only mentions SMA and Even a Monkey can Draw Manga, Baka-Manga Updates lists 2 other titles I don't recognise. The artist behind SMA, Tamakichi Sakura, did also do some things afterwards but not many either it seems and nothing I recognise.

The LTTP artist however I believe was Shotaru Ishinomori, not Katsuya Terada. Terada did do Zelda drawings, awesome ones at that, often in those monochrome color schemes, but if I'm not mistaken he only did separate drawings for guides and Nintendo Power and not full comics. He's of course also known for Blood: The Last Vampire anime and The Monkey King manga. Ishinomori apparently did not follow in his fellow Nintendo affiliated artists' footsteps going by the very impressive bulk of work shown on Baka-Manga Updates. He's even active currently still despite, being born in 1938.

Edit: beaten in part by CloakBass ^^^

pHand

I have the original paperback collections for both the Mario and Zelda comics, but it's great to see them reprinted. Nintendo gave away both as PDFs years ago.

Now, if only they'd collect the Metroid and Star Fox comics as well. They're not quite as memorable, both in terms of writing and art, but still good reads. They deserve to finally get collected editions as well.

Can't recommend this comic enough. It bummed me out so much to go from this active, awesome Peach/Toadstool in this comic, the Viz comics, and the cartoons, to clueless, ditzy and incapable in Sunshine. (Post-Melee, no less.)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'll pick this up. Why not?

I do wish they could reprint the Valliant comics from back in the day. I had a "Best of Super Mario Bros" that was entirely different from this Nintendo Power one, and it was really good. Long gone though...

I also miss those bizzare Game Boy comics where Tatanga comes into the real world, and at one point took over the World Trade Center....

About the Valiant comics, I always thought it was funny that Tatanga was portrayed as this big muscular mofo...even though in the actual game he's just a tiny little imp.

The sell:
Tatanga03.GIF

The reality:
Tatanga1.PNG

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well after spending about 10 minutes trying to figure out which box I had it packed in, found my old copy from 1993.

Interesting to see Amazon saying it has 112 pages in it. Let me see how many pages the original print had & compare it to see if they'll include one or both of the Wario comics.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
About the Valiant comics, I always thought it was funny that Tatanga was portrayed as this big muscular mofo...even though in the actual game he's just a tiny little imp.

The sell:
Tatanga03.GIF

The reality:
Tatanga1.PNG
Now I'm realizing I've had the Valliant version mapped onto my interpretation of the game for 25 years...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just finished counting the pages in my old copy. The original one had 106 pages, 108 if you count the title page & the final page talking about the comic itself.

Hard to say if it'll include the Wario comics since that was 8 & 10 pages while all the chapters in the actual comic are 8 pages each, so 8 * 12 = 96, plus 10 (the one Wario comic) = 106, but then including the 2nd Wario comic, 106 + 8 = 114, 2 pages more than what Amazon is stating.

...or maybe I'm overthinking, I don't know, wish Viz or whoever would just confirm if the 2 Wario comics are included.

Now I'm realizing I've had the Valliant version mapped onto my interpretation of the game for 25 years...

To be fair, it's kind of an upgrade.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't include any reference to Tatanga in either Super Mario Galaxy game. Or even 3D World (that I'm aware of, I need to go back and finish that one off).

To be fair, it's kind of an upgrade.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't include any reference to Tatanga in either Super Mario Galaxy game. Or even 3D World (that I'm aware of, I need to go back and finish that one off).

I feel like EAD isn't too crazy about adding stuff from games they technically didn't make, at least in the mainline Mario platformer games. Mentioned this in another thread but I'm surprised Wario was even playable in Super Mario 64 DS.

Zubz

Banned
ufwxn12.png

Reminder that Peach was a baller in this

Real talk, the entire reason I like Daisy as a character is because I assume she'd be like this in a game with a real story, and long since realized that Canon Peach is nothing like Adventures Peach.

TrueBlue

3D World was awesome in letting Peach be playable - she was able to actually do a lot of that shit in the game!

Can't wait for this.

Top Bottom