• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Confirmed!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
PepsimanVsJoe said:
It'll probably be a good three years between both games so why the "expansion" nonsense?

Are you kidding? Twilight Princess took 8 years to come out, on a new system, and it was lambasted to fuck as being a mere OoT clone. I'm honestly surprised people haven't already started screaming for blood.

Eteric Rice said:
Well, if they had to rehash any game, this is the one I'd want them to do it with.

but that's the thing, they didn't HAVE to rehash anything. this is just so uncharacteristic of the company.

Azure J

HOLY FUCKING SHIT GALAXY 2. So many new and crazy mechanics were introduced in that one trailer alone that I have to ask the people in this thread screaming rehash "why"? The different colored Yoshi's with different moves, GIANT LAND PLANET, Ice skating across a planet you froze, that fucking drill thing! Then there's the Super Mario World nods with the razor blades, the lifts. AHHHH this was such a good day for gaming. :D

Davey Cakes

milkyjay20 said:
but that's the thing, they didn't HAVE to rehash anything. this is just so uncharacteristic of the company.
What's to rehash though, other than the idea that Mario is in space?

There are so many possibilities in terms of gameplay that can be explored, (i.e. the drill), so why even bother talking about the game being a rehash?

MisterHero

lethial said:
Why is it mindboggling? I've never understood this mindset here. While I don't agree that it's just an "expansion" it would of been nice to have a little bit more progression in the series. Sure Yoshi is in it and there are some new suits but is it really enough to have a huge wankfest just because it's Mario Galaxy 2?
What are you expecting? People seem to believe that Mario is at his best jumping around some brilliantly designed worlds even if there isn't some deep story connecting it. More platforms, objectives, and powers? Just because they don't make it obvious doesn't mean it's there.

How is it not progressing?

Oblivion said:
Are you kidding? Twilight Princess took 8 years to come out, on a new system, and it was lambasted to fuck as being a mere OoT clone. I'm honestly surprised people haven't already started screaming for blood.

Sucks for them I guess. Times like this I'll gladly take more of the same because I know it'll turn out well.

camineet

Banned
I want MELTY MOLTEN Galaxy 2

More
MELTY
MOLTEN
Please

More
MELTY
MOLTEN
Please

More
MELTY
MOLTEN
Please

More
MELTY
MOLTEN
Please

More
MELTY
MOLTEN
Please

justchris

EvilMario said:
You missed out, Sunshine.

And maybe on a couple titles like Yoshi's Island and every spin off title. :D

All the Yoshi's Islands had them, yes, but not every spinoff had them. And I don't remember multicolor Yoshis in Sunshine, but Yoshi just wasn't that useful in Sunshine, one of many disappointments about that game.

Azure J

camineet said:
I want MELTY MOLTEN Galaxy 2

More
MELTY
MOLTEN
Please

More
MELTY
MOLTEN
Please

More
MELTY
MOLTEN
Please

More
MELTY
MOLTEN
Please

More
MELTY
MOLTEN
Please

Very fucking yes. That level had some of the most brilliant moments in gaming for me so far.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
MisterHero said:
What are you expecting? People seem to believe that Mario is at his best jumping around some brilliantly designed worlds even if there isn't some deep story connecting it. More platforms, objectives, and powers? Just because they don't make it obvious doesn't mean it's there.

How is it not progressing?

Sorry I guess progression wasn't the best word I should of used. Mario is really the only franchise that has any nostalgic value to me anymore and Mario 64 was the last "real" Mario game to me. Mind you the story in Mario has always been pretty dumb but the world and atmosphere of Mario 64 has yet to be bested in the franchise, in my opinion. Again, I liked Galaxy - it was fun and I can understand why Nintendo is going this route. It's just the 12 year old kid still in me that wants to wander around the Mario world in 3D busting bricks, collecting coins, shooting fireballs at Goombas and fighting Bowser.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Sucks for them I guess. Times like this I'll gladly take more of the same because I know it'll turn out well.
For real.

The Nintendo crowd just boggles my mind sometimes. More wanking over "innovation" than fun.

This, Mario Bros Wii, and S&P2 should give me a reason to hook my Wii back up.

lethial said:
Sorry I guess progression wasn't the best word I should of used. Mario is really the only franchise that has any nostalgic value to me anymore and Mario 64 was the last "real" Mario game to me. Mind you the story in Mario has always been pretty dumb but the world and atmosphere of Mario 64 has yet to be bested in the franchise, in my opinion. Again, I liked Galaxy - it was fun and I can understand why Nintendo is going this route. It's just the 12 year old kid still in me that wants to wander around the Mario world in 3D busting bricks, collecting coins, shooting fireballs at Goombas and fighting Bowser.
And I want a new 2D Mario in the same vein of Lost Levels / SMB2 Japan. That's never going to happen in a million years, but modern Mario fare is still typically more than enjoyable enough.

CiSTM

Banned
Not my highlight of the show but I am more then glad to see new SMG. I only hope the maps are lot bigger this time. Mario 64 scale or something like that.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
this guy said:
I'm excited to find out what new ideas are being implemented in this game. When Miyamoto said that he felt that Super Mario Galaxy was too conservative, I was wondering just how crazy the next Mario game is going to be....

I guess I'll be finding out sooner than I thought. :D
That, too. I'd love to see the game become even more abstract. They've already laid the foundation, so I hope they're going to take advantage of it. I can't help but think of the leap between Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 . . . if they can do even a fraction of that, this will be a worthwhile sequel.

We've seen 1% of a game that's probably no where near completion, so I don't know how anyone could already be screaming "rehash!"

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Sixfortyfive said:
For real.

The Nintendo crowd just boggles my mind sometimes. More wanking over "innovation" than fun.

This, Mario Bros Wii, and S&P2 should give me a reason to hook my Wii back up.

And I want a new 2D Mario in the same vein of Lost Levels / SMB2 Japan. That's never going to happen in a million years, but modern Mario fare is still typically more than enjoyable enough.

I agree about the 2d and the rest.

Seeing all these "rehash" comments makes me wonder what the reaction would've been to SMB3 if internet forums were around then.

8bit

Knows the Score
mightynine said:
Seeing all these "rehash" comments makes me wonder what the reaction would've been to SMB3 if internet forums were around then.

A shoe? Nintendo has LOST IT. WORST MARIO EVER.

Rash said:
What's to rehash though, other than the idea that Mario is in space?

There are so many possibilities in terms of gameplay that can be explored, (i.e. the drill), so why even bother talking about the game being a rehash?

what you call possibilities, i call gimmicks. sure, they're neat, but they're not everlasting. i'm guessing by your standards, they can just keep making super mario galaxy forever on.

Davey Cakes

milkyjay20 said:
what you call possibilities, i call gimmicks. sure, they're neat, but they're not everlasting. i'm guessing by your standards, they can just keep making super mario galaxy forever on.
Not really. I mean, it's two games we're talking about. Two. That's it.

And besides, it's on the same console. Nintendo designed the basics of gameplay surrounding the idea of Mario in space and implemented them once on Wii. If they went by their typical model, we probably wouldn't see Galaxy 2, but would rather see a completely new kind of experience on the Wii's successor. However, the fact that Galaxy 2 is on the Wii changes things. They have the engine, they have the basic mechanics in play. It makes perfect sense to make a sequel and then test out new ideas with the groundwork that's already there.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
2qinxnn.png

sqgkn9.png

14jry3b.png

ogl5yf.png

6qli5v.png

a0aydi.png

2uygenn.png

2iuvvav.png

9iy1pw.png

2saklrd.png

milkyjay20 said:
Ahhh, hyperbole.

What would E3 be without it?

KajunW

mightynine said:

Probably a lot different, as SMB3 was seen as the 'true sequel' to SMB1, after the deviating gameplay found in SMB2. SMG had a similar reaction, as it was seen as 'true successor' to Mario 64, rather than Mario Sunshine, which again deviated quite a bit with its emphasis on the use of a water pack.

Like many others here, I am not that excited by the announcement of the game (*). Let me start off by saying that SMG has been my favourite game of the past decade or so. Like SMB3, it takes the original concept, polishes the gameplay up by considerable margins and introduces new elements that make it feel fresh. I really loved the gravity and jump mechanics; it really did feel like platforming was reinvented.

Here comes a trailer that looks to be very similar and at first glance, and what is likely to be an even more polished version of SMG. New elements like Yoshi and the drill will surely add to the gameplay, but it will probably not come clear to the feeling you had when you first made jump around a planet. It feels more like the jump between SMB3 and SMW, perhaps.

I'll most likely play the game anyways, and will probably love it. Even if it will be likely be the better game (in absolute terms), it will probably not have the freshness which made the SMG experience so worthwhile in the first place. A negative reaction? Sure. Are we spoiled? Absolutely. But that's what you could expect after having witnessed a game that set the bar so damn high that it is nigh impossible to match, let alone top it.

(*) I should point out that I'm not easily hyped by any game anymore; even SMG did not excite me until the very last moment before release.

gdt

How is this a rehash? It will come out AT LEAST 2 years after the first (probably closer to 3).

Most games have sequels two years later. Are they all rehashes as well?

beelzebozo said:
MAJORA'S MASK is the same, except with masks
One thing I kinda got a kick of was the Yoshi/Sonic portion of the vid.

Nintendo's like "This is how you do speed and ramps in 3D Sega."

And they're like... "Oh."

Cygnus X-1

Graphics has been slighty improved (was it possible with the Wii?). I just want to have an orchestrated soundrack once again. No compromises on this point.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Please make it harder.

The best part in all of SMG was the Melty Molten Galaxy no hit run.

I don't think there's anything stopping you from playing through every other stage without getting hit.

marwan

Banned
SMG2 was unexpected and beautiful! now let's hope they bump difficulty make it challenging instead of the baby difficulty from MGS1.

and is it me does the PS3 motion sensor seems more playable and realistic realistic and reasonable(like the wii potion plus) an opposed to Project Latan on the 360??

Rash said:
Not really. I mean, it's two games we're talking about. Two. That's it.

or so you think. why not make a trilogy? it's hot right now. and it's limitless.

And besides, it's on the same console. Nintendo designed the basics of gameplay surrounding the idea of Mario in space and implemented them once on Wii. If they went by their typical model, we probably wouldn't see Galaxy 2, but would rather see a completely new kind of experience on the Wii's successor. However, the fact that Galaxy 2 is on the Wii changes things. They have the engine, they have the basic mechanics in play. It makes perfect sense to make a sequel and then test out new ideas with the groundwork that's already there.

well yes, but that's being practical. we want games to be an art form, and this is not art, it's a rehash. it's a lot of different shit, but beneath it all, it's still the same game.

Thunder Monkey said:
Ahhh, hyperbole.

hyperbole? galaxy is a bunch of random ass shit, just like, thrown together. so all these new gameplay possibilities--gimmicks--last minutes at most and they all rely on the game's universal mechanic.

as much as I loved Galaxy it was far from a flawless game. I won't get into it too much but i felt like 40% of the game was just ancillary bonus rounds.

so if they can fix that and some other issues, it'll be perfect. so rehash? not really, more of a "do over" so to speak

Joei

If any game deserves a sequel utilizing the basic ideas of the first game, it's this one. Anyone who says "rehash" is an idiot and should stop pretending to be some awesome gamer on a message board. And they can die and go to hell.

Top Bottom