• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Confirmed!

milkyjay20 said:
hyperbole? galaxy is a bunch of random ass shit, just like, thrown together. so all these new gameplay possibilities--gimmicks--last minutes at most and they all rely on the game's universal mechanic.
It also happens to be a great formula that can be used in a multitude of ways.

This game will be as great as SMG, and prettier to boot.

This looks identical to Mario Galaxy. I thought they were just showing recap footage of the first game until Yoshi popped in. The other guys in the room were all equally unimpressed. Would it have killed them to change it up?

Mr. Sam

6qli5v.png

This one just seems... wrong somehow.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I loved Galaxy, but the fact that it's "just" Galaxy 2 and they couldn'T come up with a better name worries me. Not so excited.

milkyjay20 how does it feel to lack the ability to feel joy, love, or any other positive human emotion.

I mean, Galaxy softened Amir0x's black frozen heart. It's that good. And Miyamoto has already said he felt he was too conservative with Galaxy.

That means this will have even crazier ideas.

milkyjay20 said:
hyperbole? galaxy is a bunch of random ass shit, just like, thrown together. so all these new gameplay possibilities--gimmicks--last minutes at most and they all rely on the game's universal mechanic.

This is every game is existence. They all have a universal mechanic. Then they layer it with other elements. Your logic seems to indicate that a shooter only needs one type of gun. Or a racing game only needs one car. If an element is necessary to complete a level or changes the how to accomplish a goal, it's not a gimmick.

Akai

evilromero said:
This looks identical to Mario Galaxy. I thought they were just showing recap footage of the first game until Yoshi popped in. The other guys in the room were all equally unimpressed. Would it have killed them to change it up?

For the whole 17 seconds leading up to Yoshi? Give me a break. If you look closely you can see a shit-ton of new stuff (and this is only a bloody 2 minute trailer) But you can go ahead and be unimpressed with awesome games with your buddies...

Joei

Akai said:
For the whole 17 seconds leading up to Yoshi? Give me a break. If you look closely you can see a shit-ton of new stuff (and this is only a bloody 2 minute trailer) But you can go ahead and be unimpressed with awesome games with your buddies...

Naw bro, these are the cool guys. Their gaming tastes are far superior to ours.

It's threads like these that are the clearest indicators I should take a break from the internet.

Way too much freaking nonsense in here.

soldat7

My wishes and desires:

1) More hidden stars
2) More interesting co-op
3) Better swimming. Actually, no swimming
4) More challenging galaxies

Christopher

i'm game, but I'd really like to not have a space theme in this one...please Nintendo make your sereis unique. Just by placing it on ground only you don't taint the greatness that was Galaxy.

Synless

I can tell they certainly upped the graphics, did you see the grass effects and shit? I really hope my only hate for the first game gets fixed....better power ups. Please God let the power ups actually feel useful and fun to me.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
It's threads like these that are the clearest indicators I should take a break from the internet.

Way too much freaking nonsense in here.

seriously.

the original's premise was to throw crazy ass ideas together. in other words, no premise at all! smg2 is a continuation of that liberal design, so what could possibly be done to vary it up WHEN THE GAME ALREADY HAS AS DEVELOPMENT PHILSOPHY TO DO CRAZY SHIT? fuck man, you guys are straight up stupid. that, or fuckin shill marketers.

the trailer was GORGEOUS. IRC will tell you, i was dumbfounded. absolutely dumbfounded. the yoshi love between this game and smb wii <3 <3 <3

soldat7 said:
My wishes and desires:

1) More hidden stars

You forgot "5) More flying levels whilst throwing fireballs"

Log4Girlz

camineet said:
Please bare with me for a moment so that I can express my *personal* gladness about Mario Galaxy 2, in a way that nobody else will.

1.) I am a SEGA fan, first and foremost

2.) of Sega's games, I love their ARCADE games, more than anything else, especially their Model 3 arcade games.

3.) I've never been much of a Nintendo fan, except for Pilotwings, Super Metroid, Pilotwings64, Zelda Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy/

4.) Mario Galaxy was the first Nintendo game that had the graphical quality that reminded me of Sega arcade games, because of the detail, COLOR and 60FPS FRAMERATE. I'm so thankful to EAD Tokyo for creating a graphics engine that impresses me, a Sega fan to the core.

5.) Mario Galaxy is easily the best internally-developed Nintendo game, EVER, in my honest & humble opinion.

6.) Mario Galaxy 2, sequel to my favorite Nintendo game with amazing Sega arcade-esque graphics, IMO. Nevermind it's SHEER BRILLIANT, FUN and ADDICTIVE groundbreaking gameplay, thanks to Miyamoto

7.) YAY, Mario Galaxy was the first of two games that saved Nintendo's E3 2009 conference.

8.) FUCK YES I CANNOT WAIT :D

Im glad I'm not the only one who notes the "Sega arcade-esque" graphics. This and Sin and Punishment are the nicest looking games I've seen. I love colorful, extremely well designed high poly games.

NeonZ

evilromero said:
This looks identical to Mario Galaxy. I thought they were just showing recap footage of the first game until Yoshi popped in.

To be fair, the first 12 seconds just showed Mario flying through space, no planets or anything else...

lethial

Reeeeeeee
TheGrayGhost said:
seriously.

the original's premise was to throw crazy ass ideas together. in other words, no premise at all! smg2 is a continuation of that liberal design, so what could possibly be done to vary it up WHEN THE GAME ALREADY HAS AS DEVELOPMENT PHILSOPHY TO DO CRAZY SHIT? fuck man, you guys are straight up stupid. that, or fuckin shill marketers.

the trailer was GORGEOUS. IRC will tell you, i was dumbfounded. absolutely dumbfounded. the yoshi love between this game and smb wii <3 <3 <3

Jesus calm down it's just a videogame. You'd think any negative comments about the Holy Grail of Mario gives you AIDS or cancer. Take a step back, champ.

Christopher said:
i'm game, but I'd really like to not have a space theme in this one...please Nintendo make your sereis unique. Just by placing it on ground only you don't taint the greatness that was Galaxy.

space theme? XD

there is no space theme. the setting is just a means to an end. at that end is crazy, abstract ideas that can be presented without having to be anchored to some internal consistency. the only consistency is that there is none! the only theme is that there is none!

Kevin

I am surprised that Miyamoto didn't unveil this game or any other game. Where is Miyamoto these days? I know he will be at E3 with his own separate event (what time is his event?). Seeing how Miyamoto didn't unveil either of the new Mario games, I am wondering if Miyamoto might unveil something new at his event...

jvalioli

Kevin said:
I am surprised that Miyamoto didn't unveil this game or any other game. Where is Miyamoto these days? I know he will be at E3 with his own separate event (what time is his event?). Seeing how Miyamoto didn't unveil either of the new Mario games, I am wondering if Miyamoto might unveil something new at his event...
5 PST. I'd be surprised if all the gaming media fails to mention whatever(both stupid and not stupid) concerns about SMG2 to him. We should get so much good Mario news from him. As far as an announcement, I'm not really expecting anything but it'd be nice.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Kevin said:

Yeah, it really felt weird for the big reveals to occur without him. Though the others didn't do a great job of revealing the games anyhow.

Also, there is something seriously wrong with GAF if both threads for both Mario games have significantly less posts than fucking Spirit tracks.

soldat7 said:
My wishes and desires:

1) More hidden stars

That would be great, even though some of the levels in the current Galaxies(including the Star Events) were difficult as it is....

NeonZ

EmCeeGramr said:
BTW, mario will use his drill to pierce the heavens

:D that's the first thing I thought when I saw Mario drilling through that small planet to hit the boss at the other side.

seat

It looks to be more of the same, but in this case that absolutely not a bad thing. A sequel to the best game of this generation.

Masked Man said:
Mario/Luigi as Kamina/Simon GO

Better than "Blue Toad."

I wanted new levels in Galaxy with new gimmicks, which is exactly what this is, and I love it. I don't need them spending 2 years altering the graphics when they're already some of, if not the, best the Wii has to offer.

NSB Wii didn't even get out of the presentation before it was put to shame. I'm not saying I won't buy it and probably enjoy it, and it's cool to be getting two different Mario platformers, but there's a clear difference between how hard they'll have to sell one over the other. ("MIYAMOTO'S MASTERPIECE")

laserbeam

Banned
Oblivion said:
Yeah, it really felt weird for the big reveals to occur without him. Though the others didn't do a great job of revealing the games anyhow.

Also, there is something seriously wrong with GAF if both threads for both Mario games have significantly less posts than fucking Spirit tracks.

This E3 has felt really weird in that Japan has basically sat it out. Both Iwata and Miyamoto are at E3 but both are basically staying out of it besides for that vitals thing.

Matt at IGN said Miyamoto is mostly being kept locked away and no ones allowed to see him til the roundtable and after that interviews will happen .

Just seems like Japan is holding out and I can only think the reason is the Japanese event happening

Vinci

Danish
Wow, some of you people are practically shitting on Nintendo for making a sequel to one of the greatest games ever made. What the hell is the matter with you?

angelfly said:
He passed out shortly after the announcement.

After fapping furiously unlike Man has fapped before.

Top Bottom