• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

thomaser

Shit, there's a strike in the transporting-business here in Norway. It just started. They have less than three weeks to resolve it... if they don't do it in time to drive out SMG2 to stores, I honestly cannot guarantee their safety. They don't want a horde of raging Nintendo-fanatics on their necks...

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I think 3DS big. Galaxy 2 team.. on Wii 2 :D
:D

I think that a lot of what would make sense for them momentum wise is straightforward - at least for the GAF type audience. New Super Mario Brothers 3DS and Super Mario Galaxy 3 for the Wii HD - both as launch titles for their respective systems would keep us happy. The much bigger issue for them is carrying the momentum that they've enjoyed with Wii Fit and Wii sports into the new system.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I think 3DS big. Galaxy 2 team.. on Wii 2 :D

That's nice. EAD Tokyo have developed two fantastic games for the Wii and I think it's time for them to move on to better hardware.

You seem to know a lot about Nintendo and their development structure and I think you could contribute a great deal on a thread I've had on my mind for quite some time (some kind of General Nintendo Development Discussion thread) but until I figure out how to set it up I'll ask you here:

With only Zelda Wii and Wii Party being announced from the EAD teams, do you think they've already completely switched to Wii2/3DS-development or are there still some other games coming up?

BowieZ

Banned
fernoca said:
Is mostly about a song that plays at the final battle (apparently the best part of that song is at the very end)..but, because he beat that part in like 30 seconds..it disappointed him that he didn't heard it more...
LOL okay... well yeah, in the original Galaxy, I always tried to get hurt so I could make the experience longer with the music and everything... I purposefully avoided those 6-life red mushrooms last time... I'm hoping I will desperately want to get them at every available opportunity this time :lol

othersteve said:
Also, Jason's Ultimatum, I do believe I agree. Time to mow the lawn... TO THE FINAL BOWSER BATTLE EPIC MUSIC. Hot damn, I'm going to zoom through these weeds like a freakin' hero. Time to vanquish some grass.
:lol

sphinx

the piano man
I know this will sound like completely out of place but I need to know:

How much are you americans paying for new, retail, nintendo wii 1st party games in the US?

A friend of mine lives at the border and I am considering asking him to buy me some stuff like Galaxy 2 and METROID: oM there if its worth the price.

sphinx said:
I know this will sound like completely out of place but I need to know:

How much are you americans paying for new, retail, nintendo wii 1st party games in the US?

A friend of mine lives at the border and I am considering asking him to buy me some stuff like Galaxy 2 and METROID: oM there if its worth the price.
$49.99

zigg

sphinx said:
$50. Though there seem to often be retailer deals (like the Amazon credit for SMG).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
That's nice. EAD Tokyo have developed two fantastic games for the Wii and I think it's time for them to move on to better hardware.

Don't forget. Wii 2 being HD, having new feature set, having upgraded controls may require some time from the development teams to craft their initial game engines. Which may mean a longer wait.

With only Zelda Wii and Wii Party being announced from the EAD teams, do you think they've already completely switched to Wii2/3DS-development or are there still some other games coming up?

I think Zelda Wii. Wii Party. and Wii Relax with vitality sensor will be your last inhouse Nintendo games from Japan. Maybe one last Retro and NST game each, complementing NOA "in-house" contributions.

The rest of the software releases will probably come from Nintendo's extended studios like HAL, Project Sora, Monolith, etc.

But I mean. Honestly. Iwata is doing a lot of behind the scenes stuff with the development teams. We may have to wait and see.

fernoca

Plus he recently talked about stuff, done by third parties that will probably take at least 2 years..

The again the world ends in 2 years.. :p

Shiggy

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I think Zelda Wii. Wii Party. and Wii Relax with vitality sensor will be your last inhouse Nintendo games from Japan. Maybe one last Retro and NST game each, complementing NOA "in-house" contributions.

The rest of the software releases will probably come from Nintendo's extended studios like HAL, Project Sora, Monolith, etc.

But I mean. Honestly. Iwata is doing a lot of behind the scenes stuff with the development teams. We may have to wait and see.

Do you know what's been going on at NST?

Jasoco

Banned
So yes. Kmart is doing the $30 coupon sale tomorrow and yes, they have them all in stock. So I'm going to just wait another 8 hours and go to Kmart tomorrow morning at opening time and but SMG2 and Mario Party 8 because it's the only game I don't already have besides Strikers. My brother will be paying for Party though so it'll be much cheaper. Nice.

WillyFive

What confuses me is why people think the Wii's life is almost over and the next-gen will begin.

The 3DS is coming, not the next Wii. The DS was out for two years before the Wii.

Raw64life

I also just got shipping confirmation from Amazon. And since I did one-day shipping with Amazon Prime my expected delivery date got moved up from May 25 when I checked it a couple of days ago, to May 24. Glorious day.

Meier

Still havent finished the original..woops. Just pre-ordered 2 though because of the $20 deal from Amazon, woohoo! One of these days, I'm going to use my Wii more for this and MH Tri..

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Don't forget. Wii 2 being HD, having new feature set, having upgraded controls may require some time from the development teams to craft their initial game engines. Which may mean a longer wait.

I don't mind. Every major Nintendo game has been worth the wait and I'll gladly wait for Galaxy 3 or whatever they're working on.

Shikamaru Ninja said:

Oh I completely forgot about Wii Relax (this might be by the Wii Fit team, right?). Do we actually have any idea on what console Retro and Project Sora are working on? I imagine they'd be working on the Wii with the 3DS coming up but was anything confirmed at all?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Glass Soldier said:
Oh I completely forgot about Wii Relax (this might be by the Wii Fit team, right?). Do we actually have any idea on what console Retro and Project Sora are working on? I imagine they'd be working on the Wii with the 3DS coming up but was anything confirmed at all?

No and no on both accounts. Retro are not working on Metroid, and I think the last chatter was that they were not working on a FPS.

Otherwise we know absolutely nothing about the projects from either studio. Matt Cassamapple liked to pretend he knew about Retro's and said it was 'epic' or some other buzzword.

Lost finale and SMG2 release = Best Day Ever

I ended up going with Best Buy. I would have loved to have the $20 on Amazon, but I'm just too damn impatient.

Yaweee

Willy105 said:
What confuses me is why people think the Wii's life is almost over and the next-gen will begin.

The 3DS is coming, not the next Wii. The DS was out for two years before the Wii.

And Gamecube and GBA came out the same year.

Willy105 said:

Because there's only about two years at most left in this generation and the first of the next-gen consoles will probably be out late next year.

Also the DS sold stronger the the Wii so it can last longer (as Nintendo's handhelds traditionally have).

Gomu Gomu said:
What's with the |OT| in every other official thread? And why isn't this one the same?

I'm guessing it's just to shorten thread titles so the first page isn't a constant bombardment of "official thread."

Jasoco

Banned
The GameBoy/Portable line has always took longer... or shorter.. Well, the portables have never had a set schedule.

Only counting platform changes:
The original GB came out in 1989. (Includes pocket and colors)
The replacement was the Color which came out 9 years later in 1998.
Its replacement the GBA was in 2001. (Includes GBA SP and micro)
The DS was in 2004. (Includes DS lite, DSi and DSi XL)
The 3DS will be when? 2011? 2012?
So 9, 3, 3, 7/8 year gaps between architectures/platforms. Or devices that actually changed the device enough to require upgrading to play newer games. Though I guess you could also count the DSi if that's right since some games do require the DSi, right?

gumshoe

Banned
Jasoco said:
So yes. Kmart is doing the $30 coupon sale tomorrow and yes, they have them all in stock. So I'm going to just wait another 8 hours and go to Kmart tomorrow morning at opening time and but SMG2 and Mario Party 8 because it's the only game I don't already have besides Strikers. My brother will be paying for Party though so it'll be much cheaper. Nice.

Oh man, $30 coupon?? hmm.. I already ordered the game on Amazon and I am getting a $20 coupon. I am starting to feel a bit greedy lol, will Amazon let me cancel my preorder??

edit: I spoke too soon. :lol Amazon just shipped the game. And I am getting the game on Monday, not Wednesday!! :D

Doorman

BowieZ said:
If you turn your head sideways, the above black lines remind me of the proverbial prison cell bars holding me back from playing this game until July.
To me, they look more like the lines of a barcode on the back of the SMG2 box, which will be scanned when I get it tomorrow.

:D

I have to admit, if the game itself is even half as entertaining as reading some people's reactions in this topic, I'm going to be one very happy gamer soon.

Jasoco said:
The GameBoy/Portable line has always took longer... or shorter.. Well, the portables have never had a set schedule.

Only counting platform changes:
The original GB came out in 1989. (Includes pocket and colors)
The replacement was the Color which came out 9 years later in 1998.
Its replacement the GBA was in 2001. (Includes GBA SP and micro)
The DS was in 2004. (Includes DS lite, DSi and DSi XL)
The 3DS will be when? 2011? 2012?
So 9, 3, 3, 7/8 year gaps between architectures/platforms. Or devices that actually changed the device enough to require upgrading to play newer games. Though I guess you could also count the DSi if that's right since some games do require the DSi, right?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

You know what. Pikmin 3 is a possibility. Depending how smooth the development process is going. So make that the final 4. Zelda Wii. Wii Party. Wii Relax. and maybe. Pikmin 3ii.

Retro and Project Sora? Who the heck knows.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
25 stars in, and I still haven't done the same thing twice (Yoshi a few times, but you use him differently each time). Every single star throws in a new game mechanic, and they've all been awesome.
Yoshi + Chili = greatness. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Sonic tries to implement a few of those ideas.

Doorman

I don't think there's any way that whatever Retro's working on isn't a Wii game. I mean...Corruption came out relatively early in the Wii's lifespan, and we haven't heard any word from them outside of the Prime Trilogy package, but you know that was not a major focus. Would they really have spent almost the entire Wii period making a game for the next system, that hasn't even been announced yet?

Just looking it up, Corruption was finished in 2007...would there have been enough information on the Wii's successor out by that time that Retro could seriously begin development? You'd think if anything that EAD Tokyo would have moved on to Wii2 following what they did with Super Mario Galaxy, but if anything they've only been speeding up.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
You know what. Pikmin 3 is a possibility. Depending how smooth the development process is going. So make that the final 4. Zelda Wii. Wii Party. Wii Relax. and maybe. Pikmin 3ii.

Retro and Project Sora? Who the heck knows.

I keep forgetting about the games they've not officially announced :lol I guess we'll see Retro's new game at E3 but I won't get my hopes up for Project Sora's game or Pikmin 3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All Hail C-Webb said:
Yoshi + Chili = greatness. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Sonic tries to implement a few of those ideas.

That would imply Sega knew what they were doing.

Doorman said:
I don't think there's any way that whatever Retro's working on isn't a Wii game. I mean...Corruption came out relatively early in the Wii's lifespan, and we haven't heard any word from them outside of the Prime Trilogy package, but you know that was not a major focus. Would they really have spent almost the entire Wii period making a game for the next system, that hasn't even been announced yet?

Just looking it up, Corruption was finished in 2007...would there have been enough information on the Wii's successor out by that time that Retro could seriously begin development? You'd think if anything that EAD Tokyo would have moved on to Wii2 following what they did with Super Mario Galaxy, but if anything they've only been speeding up.

Retro either are or were working on a Wii game. The former because between Corruption and now the studio has only released the Trilogy, and thus have had muuuch time to conceptualise a new project and begin development. The latter if the studio shakeup set back titles, or Nintendo were not happy with whatever post-Corruption project they had going on, and decided to scrap it/re-work it in favour of something for either the 3DS or the Wii's successor.

But being on the Wii's successor will give the game at least 4, probably closer to 5, years of work, and the only way I can see that happening is if post-Corruption Retro was like pre-Prime Retro; a mess of shitty projects Nintendo eventually has to step in on.

Doorman

EatChildren said:
But being on the Wii's successor will give the game at least 4, probably closer to 5, years of work, and the only way I can see that happening is if post-Corruption Retro was like pre-Prime Retro; a mess of shitty projects Nintendo eventually has to step in on.
Honestly...that wouldn't surprise me. Wasn't Metroid Prime even supposed to be somewhat of a mess until Nintendo really came in and got more direct with the project? Since then they've only had to worry about making more Prime games, so now that they don't have that to lean on and without some of their top guys...if they've struggled to come up with something truly amazing, they could well collapse. What a bizarre story that would become.

But anyway, how's about that Mario, huh?

Not sure if anyone cares, but there are other mislabeled songs in that ripped soundtrack as well!

Chompworks Galaxy - way off!
Boss Rush Galaxy

I'm sure there are others too.

Neiteio

Jasoco said:
Tell me the details of this... Sale.

Foov

I don't know what to do - am going to get the game tomorrow of course but have coincidentally been also invited to a wii part that evening. But I don't know if I should just blow off the party to stay home and play galaxy by myself? Or maybe bring it so we can all bask in its awesomeness. Though I don't think it's really a party game... hmm...

VASPER

Banned
Ill give some impressions tonight when i get off work!!!!
hrc7zm.jpg

Not sure if this was answered, but is there a display option for 4:3 or is it only widescreen.
It annoyed me that NSMB wii and Red steel 2 don't have any options for standard TV's.

Top Bottom