• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Hey guys and girls,

I'm thinking of doing a video for Neo Gaf and playing through some of your levels and recording it for my Youtube Channel. If you like me to do your level than quote and reply to my message here. Been enjoying this game very much since it's release.

Would be nice if I could see why people keep dying in strange places, count me in if it isn't too much trouble

A9A4-0000-0019-2255

Crisium

Ok, my third level. This is my take on a Ghost House, with a flying Beetle Airship part. It is not Kaizo but a fair challenge with parts based on reaction and parts based on understanding how the types of Ghosts work. Usually patience is rewarded.

C77D-0000-0034-B1EB

wiiu_screenshot_gamepgisty.jpg

My other two levels.

Fold It Up or Down (two path level - up or down)
Serene Theocratic Dystopia (Mario 3 level)

Any feedback would be appreciated!

tebunker

Banned
Hey just an FYI for those that don't know, you can use the WiiU browser to post pics from the game.

Nintendo even added a browser specific site to load straight to any social media site you log in to. If that's what you want to do.

I've noticed over the last couple of days people just posting their code or a picture of their stage from a phone etc. when it's really easy to just hit, browser and then load the picture to the web, it makes it a lot easier seeing an in game screen shot.

Just an FYI because I think a lot of folks don't know the wiiU can do this.

Also my stages in no particular order, I always appreciate feedback.

7CD1-0000-034-A2B8 Long Ghost House

B338-0000-002E-C7BE Lovingly titled, Bower Jr's a little ship

B507-0000-0022-0E10

O992-0000-0021-A1C2

I gave it a try, my main issue is that it wasn't always clear what was wanted of me there's some weird jumps and stuff in there (and a huge blind jump at the beginning) I'd suggest throwing coins down to lead players in the right direction.

That opening section was pretty neat once I knew what to do, did take a while though, I'd throw a safe version in earlier on so players can wrap their head around it, then get tested later in the level.

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you played my stage. I got some of my inspiration from other stages I played so I went a little far with the randomness. This is my second stage so I hope to improve with future stages.

Off topic, how do I use codes to play other people's stages? I want to play some gaf levels!

jholmes

OK GAF, I'm going to be playing through a few stages in a couple of hours so if you want me to give you some feedback on yours, let me know either here or in a PM. I've got probably eight levels from the thread lined up to play but I'll definitely play more. Even if you're the type who thinks everyone's skipping your level, give me the code and I'll play.

Two conditions:

1) No kaizo or automated stuff. Just don't.
2) I graciously ask if I'm going to play your levels and give you feedback that you try a couple of mine. If you want to give feedback, stars, posts, shares, whatever, doesn't matter to me. Do what your heart compels you to do. Just get another pair of feet on my levels and I'm cool with it.

Here's my stages:

The Spring's the Thing (just the basic tileset): F6DA-0000-0016-3AD4
Big Trouble: 3B43-0000-0016-FFC2
Shell Shock (the TMNT homage level): 0CCD-0000-001D-9748
Buzzy's Cavern: D2D2-0000-0026-9161
Mole Mountain: 2AB6-0000-002D-182F
Wiggler's Red-Hot Fortress: 92AB-0000-0032-4720

Hey guys and girls,

I'm thinking of doing a video for Neo Gaf and playing through some of your levels and recording it for my Youtube Channel. If you like me to do your level than quote and reply to my message here. Been enjoying this game very much since it's release.

If this is still on... I want in!

6684-0000-0034-1BD7

OK GAF, I'm going to be playing through a few stages in a couple of hours so if you want me to give you some feedback on yours, let me know either here or in a PM.

You too! I'll get to work on yours.

Glass Joe

Am I weird or were some concessions made with the NSMB theme? The enemy animation seems a bit choppy, like it runs at 30fps.

Still loving the game! Hopefully in a couple weeks time they have a way for cream to rise to the top. I've spent a lot of time with mine, creating multiple pathways if one section is too hard, hidden stars, etc. All the random maps that feature a gauntlet of chaos on the first screen are getting kind of old.

tebunker

Banned
OK GAF, I'm going to be playing through a few stages in a couple of hours so if you want me to give you some feedback on yours, let me know either here or in a PM. I've got probably eight levels from the thread lined up to play but I'll definitely play more. Even if you're the type who thinks everyone's skipping your level, give me the code and I'll play.

Two conditions:

2) I graciously ask if I'm going to play your levels and give you feedback that you try a couple of mine. If you want to give feedback, stars, posts, shares, whatever, doesn't matter to me. Do what your heart compels you to do. Just get another pair of feet on my levels and I'm cool with it.

Here's my stages:

I posted a couple above this post feel free to go to it.

Kinsei

Banned

Two conditions:

Here's my stages:

Quoting this post so I can give them a try in the morning. I plan on going to bed within the hour and I know I won't if I boot up the game now.

exfatal

Have you considered, perhaps adding MORE fire flowers ? Just an idea.

Was fun in a chaotic kinda way, but the final bowser was somewhat unintuitive

Thanks for the tip wasn't sure what to put for last challenge.. wanted to use a giant wiggler but haven't unlocked those yet. Btw theres 3 hidden 1-up mushrooms to find for extra fun challenge for anyone else who wants to give stage a try
ID:43BD-0000-0034-6825

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you played my stage. I got some of my inspiration from other stages I played so I went a little far with the randomness. This is my second stage so I hope to improve with future stages.

Off topic, how do I use codes to play other people's stages? I want to play some gaf levels!

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_018_DD.jpg

Pause, course world, courses,then top right theres a search button (see above)

Placktor

My newest course, check it out

Outpost Outrage!
F028-0000-002B-AA2B
WVW69iYbcCweJ8L_fC

My previous 2 courses:
Crowded Cavern - 438C-0000-0013-636C
Castle Conundrum - B315-0000-0014-8027

Also my friend made this one
7A19-0000-0031-594C

LostComplex

Neo Member
Hey guys and girls,

Feel free to use mine!

House of Boos (easy version)
Style: SMB 3
Map: Ghost House
Difficulty: Easy
ID: 247B-0000-0033-8F55
WVW69iYpB4k2gvOotu

House of Boos v. King Boo (harder version)
Difficulty: Moderate/Hard
ID: 770D-0000-0034-A311
WVW69iYrZ-Q2Z8pcVX

Going Up v.2
Difficulty: Moderate
ID: B1D7-0000-002F-6B3D
WVW69iYikboD-Z-76u

A Koopa's Journey
Style: NSMB
Map: Underground
Difficulty: Hard (Will take several attempts)
ID: D988-0000-001B-D37B
WVW69iYCeK0X5NVf3v

zroid

Banned
Pretty straightforard stage, nothing too complicated. I think it's pretty fun with just the right amount of challenge, hopefully y'all will agree!

5Vy6M43.png

AdanVC

Seriously, the course world needs an update. Stuff such as tags, and even a little description area so we can write a little bit about our level so it can be more attractive to play. Just like YouTube wich has those two options. But yeah. Tags!

Nobody has played my level :(

The Little Guardian
47C6-0000-0034-A1FB

WVW69iYrZnoxylEI97

zroid

Banned
I'd be grateful if you would do either one of the below courses. They're the ones I'm most proud of.

Airship Assault (SMB3 airship level): 32DD-0000-0030-E2B5
Twisted Trial of the Boo Buddies (SMW Ghost House): EF79-0000-0024-75D2

saved these for tomorrow, I'll check them out!

jholmes

6684-0000-0034-1BD7

You too! I'll get to work on yours.

Ha, you were already on the list. I was sold on your level at first glance. Just gotta get home to play it.

I posted a couple above this post feel free to go to it.

Cool, all added to the list.

Quoting this post so I can give them a try in the morning. I plan on going to bed within the hour and I know I won't if I boot up the game now.

Awesome. Got your pair of stages on the list.

I only have one stage I was confident enough to upload, I would be excited if you would try it and give feedback. I will start with your levels right now!

Trial by Fire: 1029-0000-0034-8BC4

You too!

LostComplex

Neo Member
Check out this Luigi's Mansion themed level I helped make. If you've played the first Luigi's Mansion you should be able to recognize the rooms and ideas.

180C-0000-002A-64FD

I love Luigi's Mansion, so I had to play this one. I really liked it! Gave you a star.

Ibuki

Banned

I only have one stage I was confident enough to upload, I would be excited if you would try it and give feedback. I will start with your levels right now!

jnWake

Second level: Climbing Goomba City.

WVW69iYrmLkCB1EJz4

Did this when I got the second pack. It has falling platforms and Goombas you need to use as trampolines. It also has many enemies living in their homes calmly enjoying their lives (I reached the enemy limit haha).

I'd say it's challenging with some tricky jumps.
ID: D075-0000-0034-B953.

My level collection.

Gsnap

So is there any way for doors to connect between sub worlds. Like instead of going into a pipe to get to the sub world you go through a door?

BooJoh

I wish the skinny mushroom wasn't randomized into regular mushrooms. Sometimes I'll be playing a well-made stage and I get a skinny mushroom and the high jump just totally breaks the stage.

Teknoman

Great job - my only nitpicks are that the giant beetle should fall more easily in the hole (it got stuck for me) and that you shouldn't use those metal blocks by the goal - instead, recall the level mechanic and use the treadmills (outside, I know, but it brings the whole thing to a conclusion and is prettier). Great job though!

What are those walls with the holes in them? The ones in the screenshot?

I will never, EVER master the timing of trampolines and note blocks. They kill your momentum too. I hate them so.

Also, level authors need to stop starting Mario on a cliff, expecting the player to make a jump with no momentum. Having to take a few steps back whenever I start a level is bad. Almost as bad as endless enemy spam.

Stoze

Thought I'd share what I've made so far with GAF. I was going for levels that could be in actual Mario games, with an intermediate difficulty, some of the clear rates are crazy low though, so get those up guys! Feedback is very welcome, and don't pay a lot of attention to the names, I never know what to name a level lol.

Bowser JR's Airship:
A2D7-0000-0012-1FA0

Blooper Grotto:
AEEF-0000-0012-42D0

Peachy's Got It!:
6D8C-000-0012-6063

Chillin:
A86B-0000-0018-AD64

Wooh World:
2620-0000-0019-A6F4

Bowser's Castle:
6DB8-0000-0023-E363

Can you get out?:
677D-0000-0027-D4F5

Koopa Express:
44B1-0000-0032-3CAF

That's the order I've made them in, sorry for the lack of preview pics, photobucket is being a jerk right now and I don't know how else to upload pics from the Wii U.

Playing some of these now, your design is nearly exactly what I was looking for in when it comes to levels; relatively linear, very fair moderate diffculty, and not jammed packed with too many ideas or sprites. Feels very similar to actual Nintendo levels, good job man! Followed.

Out of the couple I've played so far only real complaint is that a couple spots need a bit more spacing, like when you wall jump back up in Can you get out?, you should maybe but a little wider alcove where the door is or widen the passage. Same kinda thing in Koopa Express, the openings into the train were a little tight and the bigger bombs are a bit cramped in the area at the end.

devonodev

Hey guys and girls,

Great idea! Here is one of mine if you want, I tried to give it a Mario World feeling, with a tad more challenge, and a few secrets and shortcuts around.

WVW69iYb61cSuch_nD

Do the Mario!
(825D-0000-002B-EF64)

Also if you're interested in more of a concept stage, I tried to replicate just a few rooms from Metroid/Super Metroid here. A bit less polished, but not too bad.

WVW69iYgsLofH1-W3g

Super Metroid Crateria
(C161-0000-002E-47D7)

PKrockin

Just finished my first true level. Might have a couple parts that are a tad too difficult, maybe some secrets as well.....

Would love some feedback on it!

I thought it was just the right difficulty, for me anyway. Good level!

Ibuki

Banned

Thank you for trying it out. I tried to make it challenging without throwing cheap deaths at the player. I will use what I learned for making my next level, which I think is gonna be a ghost house.

My latest creation, Castle Assault!

WVW69iYrkfo0hNjdLC

Went for a cinematic feel for this one, trying to tie the whole thing together.

My previous level, Airship Armada!

WVW69iYYWuUbGCR_nm

An classic style Airship level of modest challenge.

Also, level authors need to stop starting Mario on a cliff, expecting the player to make a jump with no momentum. Having to take a few steps back whenever I start a level is bad. Almost as bad as endless enemy spam.

Yeah, I hate that too. Then I realised half my levels do it too
D'oh

You beat one of my levels in 3 try's, the next guy took about 40. I'm not sure you work as an average

B_Bech

My god, I think I may have made my most fun level yet...

WVW69iYrraUFomfAGH

Another Day at the Office

(0479-0000-0034-C6F9)

Okay so basically, I saw everyone making these Metroidvania stages... and all these puzzle stages... so I figured, hey why not combine the two and uh, set it in an office building... Yeah, weird I know. It's a labor of love and I want to see if each and every one of you can beat it! Give me feedback, and don't give up if the puzzles are complicated. Star it if you like it, check out the rest of my stages from my profile. If you like me, follow me too. Also, as always... PM me your best stages and I will play, star and give feedback on them.

Stoze

I just made my second course, if anyone wants to check it out. Like my first course, I kept to a theme and tried to have a gradual ramp-up of difficulty.

Koopa Paratroopa Land
A397-0000-0034-680B
tGPIkpA.jpg

Feedback is always appreciated, and if you also want to try out my first course, here it is:

Piranha Plant Pipes
CA3F-0000-001E-5A7E

Good stuff. I really like how the bouncing paratroopas make you have to stay cautious and not just blast through the level mindlessly. Well established difficulty curve, but maybe think about bringing in another idea or something to spice up the level.

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_018_DD.jpg

I tired making a level where the player almost never touches the ground, which seemed like a neat idea at the time, however I spent so long on the damn thing I have no idea how hard it is.

This one was intense, took me about 10 tries. It really shows off how robust the NSMB mechanics are. The sawblades gave no room for error.

B_Bech

My god, I think I may have made my most fun level yet...

WVW69iYrraUFomfAGH

Another Day at the Office

(0479-0000-0034-C6F9)

Okay so basically, I saw everyone making these Metroidvania stages... and all these puzzle stages... so I figured, hey why not combine the two and uh, set it in an office building... Yeah, weird I know. It's a labor of love and I want to see if each and every one of you can beat it! Give me feedback, and don't give up if the puzzles are complicated. Star it if you like it, check out the rest of my stages from my profile. If you like me, follow me too. Also, as always... PM me your best stages and I will play, star and give feedback on them.

Quoting for the new page. I guess I just missed the cut off.

DeathPeak

I've made some changes to a level I posted earlier: 2FC0-0000-0034-806B

I'm currently working on a level that I'm pretty happy with. It's not much of a challenge, but I think it's fun. Does anyone know how to keep enemies from falling off cliffs? Where they just walk to the edge and turn around instead falling over? Is that a tool that comes later or am I jut imagining that this occurs in regular Mario levels?

Theorymon

holy crap dude.. how did you even do half of that stuff? what was the dizzy feeling thing? and the huge mario that could break things? and the scream? what the hell??? that was awesome

edit: ok i found the scream but seriously how do you do break stuff mario and the dizzy

You get the Dizzy one by shaking the telephone, while the Big Mario is done via that Super Mario Maker Amiibo.

Thanks for all the praise for that stage guys! I can't beleive its at over 50 stars now! While I'll certainly make more super tough stages (since I like those kinds of stages), I'll make some more... interesting stages like this one too now!

For those of you that missed it, presenting the story themed level: The Goomba: A Sad Tale of Madness BDAB-0000-0033-2697

This'll be my 7th course (not counting the tutorial), and my 4th in SMB3 style. Stay on the main path and get past Bowser, or take the optional route to Bowser Jr. Too easy? Too hard? Confusing? Get stuck? Let me know what you think. And now I'll check out some levels others have posted. There are so many!

I played this course and ended up on the Bowser path. Overall really solid level. Nice telegraph on how you expect the bombs to be used.

I'm assuming to reach Bowser Jr you needed to destroy that third brick barrier with bombs, the one up and back a little bit? I was small so by the time I noticed it I wasn't taking too many risks. I tried running a bomb there but about 3/4th the way I got nervous and tossed it. If you want to make it easier maybe add a bomb pipe ahead so that one could back track to it if they want to? Maybe it's easy to reach as is, though. I didn't try hard.

Overall I liked it and gave it a star!

I've made some changes to a level I posted earlier: 2FC0-0000-0034-806B

I'm currently working on a level that I'm pretty happy with. It's not much of a challenge, but I think it's fun. Does anyone know how to keep enemies from falling off cliffs? Where they just walk to the edge and turn around instead falling over? Is that a tool that comes later or am I jut imagining that this occurs in regular Mario levels?

Fun to play. Let's see what can you do with more sets

Top Bottom