• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

VandalD

I played this course and ended up on the Bowser path. Overall really solid level. Nice telegraph on how you expect the bombs to be used.

I'm assuming to reach Bowser Jr you needed to destroy that third brick barrier with bombs, the one up and back a little bit? I was small so by the time I noticed it I wasn't taking too many risks. I tried running a bomb there but about 3/4th the way I got nervous and tossed it. If you want to make it easier maybe add a bomb pipe ahead so that one could back track to it if they want to? Maybe it's easy to reach as is, though. I didn't try hard.

Overall I liked it and gave it a star!
Hey, thanks for playing and commenting on it! Yeah, that's how you get to Jr. The bombs will actually walk most of the way, all the way across the bridge, as long as you don't stomp on them. In a previous version, I had two gaps where the fireballs were, but I thought I'd save the requirement to carry a bomb for the optional path, and this also made the path to Jr. a little easier.

Hey, thanks for playing and commenting on it! Yeah, that's how you get to Jr. The bombs will actually walk most of the way, all the way across the bridge, as long as you don't stomp on them. In a previous version, I had two gaps where the fireballs were, but I thought I'd save the requirement to carry a bomb for the optional path, and this also made the path to Jr. a little easier.
Ha! I didn't even think to let them walk over! Well played, sir!

Taramoor

Hey guys and girls,

I'm thinking of doing a video for Neo Gaf and playing through some of your levels and recording it for my Youtube Channel. If you like me to do your level than quote and reply to my message here. Been enjoying this game very much since it's release.

Here are my four if you want:

A silly level: C8A2-0000-001C-93CA

A difficult level, but quick: C446-0000-001B-6EE9

The first two steps of the whole reason I bought Super Mario Maker:
2C90-0000-0027-F388
0A23-0000-0030-B14F

Big One

Banned
Made a nice and easy puzzle Airship level.

Airship Spike'a'Thwomp - 0202-0000-0034-DABB

6ulFn0m.jpg

Also re-uploaded Keep the Leaf! after I did a massive wipe on the levels I put on the server:

Keep the Leaf! - 4151-0000-0034-F890

6fyocfa.jpg

Tried to keep the 100 Mario challenge in mind as I do realize my longer and harder levels are pretty much skip-able by most, and I don't want that happening.

Sephzilla

Hey guys and girls,

I'm thinking of doing a video for Neo Gaf and playing through some of your levels and recording it for my Youtube Channel. If you like me to do your level than quote and reply to my message here. Been enjoying this game very much since it's release.

Feel free to use all of the ones I've posted so far!

Totally Tubular - (3195-0000-0033-6E54)

Junior's First Airship (DCD3-0000-0033-6DB8)

Wall Hopping & The Hammer Bros - (C797-0000-0033-3B34)

Game of Thwomps - (2030-0000-0032-A10D)

Pipes, Plants, and Peril - (10B4-0000-0030-ABB9)

Captain Bowser's Pirate Fleet - (DD3D-0000-0030-C5B6)

Bowser Bucket Bonanza - 3212-0000-0029-9C47

Another musical course complete!

Mario 64 Battlefield Theme!

439C-0000-0034-ED46

Dn0FNxO.jpg

The ending is pretty special for this one.

I knew ahead of time that silver Mario played the Mario 64 Metal Mario music, but I had no idea that it would play the perfect course clear music too!

KDR_11k

I see a lot of people quitting levels without even dying, the attempt count is maybe 1.5 times the player count and most haven't completed it. Anyone know what's up with that? AFAIK the levels have no "soft locks" so it's not a case of getting stuck and quitting then.

One of the affected levels is only the default 4 screen length.

EDIT: Also is there a way to zoom in on the death heatmap? Like to see the Xs while just scrolling through it?

Seriously, the course world needs an update. Stuff such as tags, and even a little description area so we can write a little bit about our level so it can be more attractive to play. Just like YouTube wich has those two options. But yeah. Tags!

Nobody has played my level :(

The Little Guardian
47C6-0000-0034-A1FB

WVW69iYrZnoxylEI97

I checked this one out. The main hook is nice, and I really liked the small backtrack after grabbing rhe leaf.

It only needs a few tweaks.

One, get rid of that damn boo near the thwomp! It made the puzzle your going for feel cheap!

Second, maybe make the leaf come out a dispenser pipe somehow? I grabbed both the main leaf and the hidden one and... lost it to the thwomp :(

Finally, lose that final boo! It disrupts the reward feeling when you think you're just about to beat a level to either slowly lure it out of the way take the low route. Either way it's not as satisfying.

Level Title:Wizardopolis ID:622D-0000-0034-3531

I was tired of all the easy levels, especially where time doesn't come into play. Really like Super Luigi U with the 100 timer levels, so this is a long level with a time constraint. Also dont throw lots of useless enemies out at you like other designers. Have fun!

Not for novices.
4oUUq1a

Dude u injected some of that fgc sodium into this level. I did worse and worse the more I played it due to the salt... Might try it again another day. Made it to the moving platform after the star and the hammer bros. I fell into the fucking hole... That did me in

I see a lot of people quitting levels without even dying, the attempt count is maybe 1.5 times the player count and most haven't completed it. Anyone know what's up with that? AFAIK the levels have no "soft locks" so it's not a case of getting stuck and quitting then.
The 100-Mario Challenge makes it really easy to skip levels. If a level doesn't give a good first impression by the time of their first death, they will likely skip it.

RAWi

Another musical course complete!

Mario 64 Battlefield Theme!

439C-0000-0034-ED46

Dn0FNxO.jpg

The ending is pretty special for this one.

I knew ahead of time that silver Mario played the Mario 64 Metal Mario music, but I had no idea that it would play the perfect course clear music too!

Waah! That was quite the surprise (the course clear music)! :D!!!!

Here's a level I just finished. It still needs some tweaking, so feedback is appreciated!

There are three 1ups. I started with the idea of the new helmets + thwomps and took it from there. Hope you enjoy it!

ID: 913B-0000-0034-F709

MrPanic

Probably because of 100 Mario challenge. I personally instantly skip a level if I see a maze or start in a almost instant death or troll scenario, seen enough nonsense to even bother with those.

Finished another level. This took me 2 days! It's called DOTA!

ID: 5527-0000-0034-05CE

This is definitely the best level I've made so far. It probably could still use some work though.

Just posting my level I finished earlier in case anybody else wants to try it. It looks like it's pretty hard only one person has beat it so far I think it's mostly fair though. Let me know what y'all think.

KingBroly

Banned
Here is my Fourth level that I just uploaded. As always, I appreciate feedback.

Name: Dead Sea

Difficulty is on the Normal to Hard-ish side, and I tried to do some kind of Lore-ish level.

Background:
It originally started as a Water level focusing on Boos and Dry Fish, but it ended up evolving into something of a story level.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Did a puzzle in the vein of the Ghost Houses in Mario.

0yTSUK5l.jpg

The Infinite Loop Puzzle
C584-0000-0035-0309

I'll play more levels tomorrow, can't wait!

I so wish this game allowed for communities. I would then only ever play GAF levels - this 16 digit code nonsense is so tedious, and almost every level that pops up the 100 mario challenge, no matter the difficulty level, is at least three degrees of rancid.

The nice thing is that you can follow players, so if I see someone who has a new course in the thread I can just go to their page directly instead of inputting codes.

Cindro

I so wish this game allowed for communities. I would then only ever play GAF levels - this 16 digit code nonsense is so tedious, and almost every level that pops up the 100 mario challenge, no matter the difficulty level, is at least three degrees of rancid.

MrWizard

Evo Co-Founder
Dude u injected some of that fgc sodium into this level. I did worse and worse the more I played it due to the salt... Might try it again another day. Made it to the moving platform after the star and the hammer bros. I fell into the fucking hole... That did me in

LOL THANKS!

Having some real fun with this game.

Big One

Banned
Yeah it wouldn't hurt to have a community thread where everyone can follow each other so I could immediately get to their levels w/o a code.

Keby

You guys like auto levels? I made one completely out of note blocks and springs. Would appreciate any feedback or comments.

5C4B-0000-001D-9625

Stoze

Yes, but you didn't beat it or star it! I think this puzzle might be a hard one to crack. No one has beaten it yet.

Awesome concept, but this pretty much highlights why you need checkpoints for this kind of level. It's very long, obtuse, and unforgiving. Ran outta time once, lost the boot a couple times, and accidentally died stupidly at
Bowser Jr. in the clown car
, had to call it quits after that ><.

Really cool though, even though the phone ringing drove me insane

so how hard would it be to make a website that uses the automatic posts to Miiverse whenever a course is uploaded to make a browser of every course everyone's made

I'm guessing you couldn't really get into the Miiverse API or whatever to make that happen

galvatron

What's up GAF,

Yesterday I submitted for consideration my first level, "Golden Cliffs" (ID F41D-0000-001D-7020). I got tons of positive and useful feedback from you guys (I've almost hit 50 plays!) that I incorporated into the design of my second level:

Ruined Castle Romp
6684-0000-0034-1BD7

It's considerably longer and more challenging than my previous course, and it has tons of secrets and shortcuts, including 3 secret 1-up 'shrooms. I've spent the past hour tweaking it, I hope you like it!

WVW69iYp9682LvMjBj

WVW69iYp9b07-57WR2

I think there are 4 1-ups in there. You make great use of the space available.

It's so odd that
the box with the vine is only triggered if you don't watch the shell
. That's something I hadn't noticed anywhere else.

Hey guys and girls,

I just finished up one i'm particularly proud of. I would love to see your or anybody else's thoughts on it.

The Secret of Topsy Turvy House: 3A31-0000-0035-0D41

qko

I love how a little simple joke fleshed itself out in a short, but neat castle level.

Shy Guy's Goomba Genocide

6DBA-0000-0035-10B5

WVW69iYsd30abQoITb

B_Bech

Awesome concept, but this pretty much highlights why you need checkpoints for this kind of level. It's very long, obtuse, and unforgiving. Ran outta time once, lost the boot a couple times, and accidentally died stupidly at
Bowser Jr. in the clown car
, had to call it quits after that ><.

Really cool though, even though the phone ringing drove me insane

Yeah, I see what you mean. You basically beat the level. Obtuse in what way? I can try to fix it. I wish the time limit was longer. :/ It really limits the potential of puzzle stages. Yeah, I actually intended the ringing to be annoying. I guess I could tone it down a bit though.

I think there are 4 1-ups in there. You make great use of the space available.

It's so odd that
the box with the vine is only triggered if you don't watch the shell
. That's something I hadn't noticed anywhere else.

Yeah, I lost track of how many 1-ups I added. Nice job finding them all, though. The non-deterministic behavior of the shell is totally maddening (or is it jumping on shell vs. kicking shell? I experimented with that too, but it didn't seem to change things). I tried at least six different block placements to try and get the best success percentage, but it never works all the time. I have watched the shell hit the block a couple times though, so I know it's possible.

rawk

Worked on a new level today. I have no idea about the difficulty level. I designed it to be mechanically easy, but to feel like you've done some exploration. The theme is that you visit two houses: one with goombas, one with koopas. There are some light (light!) puzzles, and a handful of secret blocks. I did a lot of work with doors to try and make it feel like you're going inside and outside of buildings.

WVW69iYsfo4VmlNpCP

Goomba House vs. Koopa House
1588-0000-0035-1562

It's really fun to play with the SMB1 ghost house theme, since it's all new.

Finished my first stage. I already know one small tweak I want to do at one point, but feedback would be appreciated.

WVW69iYsf_c6JU9nFv

Tracks of Fury
79E6-0000-0035-1631

There are two hidden one ups, as well as a secret sub world. I tried to give hints as to some of that stuff. The first one up is a bit painfully obvious with all the arrows though.

WVW69iYsEoQwsQahB7

Escape Escape! (8A14-0000-0034-ED4E)

Short stage, really hope someone gives it a shot! I enjoyed this one. This is my second stage. I might keep working on it tomorrow and make it a bit longer.

You can also take a look at my first stage if you'd like ;)

ChrisDM

I apologize if this question has already been asked or addressed, but what menu do I have to be on to unlock amiibo costumes using my amiibo?

EDIT: Nvm found it, during creation, durr me.

Whew! I decided to create a late night level, and by great coincidence it ends up being a suitable theme for the eerie night. I felt like I hadn't tapped into the potential of SMB. 3's Ghost House tileset now that I know how to make windows, so I went back to the theme again after the Docks level.

I started with a bridge... and that became a balcony.. so The Balcony. Ended up adding vines to the window to add age to the ghost house, and that became gameplay.

RU4UPPb.jpg

039D-0000-0035-25F7

Previous levels:
0150-0000-0030-7F09 - Misty Docks, undead themed level
2B71-0000-0027-A12F - "Into the Heart", level where you descend into a Bowser castle
0415-0000-0021-2DBA - Cheep Cheep spam level
2D77-0000-0019-BF96 - Piranha Plants on bounce springs level

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Whoops, scratch that last attempt. Reuploaded my first level, and everything should be set this time.

No-nonsense platforming that encourages you to speed through as quickly as possible. Not super difficult, but still challenging.

WVW69iYsroAHbgv6cS

Cavern Thrash (3F35-0000-0035-3167)

If someone tried my code before, I'm sorry, I found a "bug" and had to redo part of the stage. I took the opportunity to make my level a bit easier by switching some of the instant death pits with munchers.

Bowser's Underground Lair
WVW69iYsmaA7UEekHP

Code: 23A4-0000-0035-251E (new)
Concept: Bowser's following you through the level, but can't attack you directly at first. Flee and watch out for where and when he jumps! (I playtested this fairly long. Was tough to make him follow you until the end.)
"Hidden" 1-Ups: 3

The secret cavern under 1-1
Code: F9A2-0000-002D-517D
Style: SMB1
Concept: The stage has several floors and you must traverse each of them. Took a really long time to get the look exactly the way I wanted. I hope it'll be appreciated.
"Hidden" 1-Ups: 2 + The chance to get over 100 coins.

PKrockin

Yes, but you didn't beat it or star it! I think this puzzle might be a hard one to crack. No one has beaten it yet.
I took a break and am coming back to it.

I have everything figured out except the last two times I accidentally kicked the giant shell off to the left, screwing me over with the goal finally in sight. It was kind of disheartening ;-;

colinp

Banned
Alright GAF, here are my levels so far.

WVW69iYBNfUET0HfBb

The Cave. (974D-0000-001B-3DBB)

This was my first level and despite being my first it benefitted from my gf play testing it and being QUITE harsh in her assessment. Had to fix a few things (made it easier and began to think about enemy placement , I made the usual rookie mistakes, ha) and now it's my best stared with a near 100% clear rating. That's not to say I think it's my best level. ;)

WVW69iYGglEe9iEcI4

Long & Winding Door (006F-0000-001E-8712)

My second level. Playing around with the idea of an initial course and then redoing a similar but more difficult second course. I think I was mostly successful, though I am not terribly happy with how it ends.

WVW69iYLd6Igbdb-BB

In the Doors to Nowhere (7A18-0000-0021-732E)

My third. Started thinking about making vertical levels given the limitations of the toolset. In retrospect the first climb seems too difficult for most, but I really like how everything came together. I started to use power ups as a quasi-check point system to aid people and give them more chances

WVW69iYbzRUdWOoMhH

The Wizard's Fleet (FD70-0000-002B-DED7)

My fourth. Bit of storytelling through gameplay and course layout. It's my longest and so probably will end up least played, but I'm quite pleased with it.

I'd love to get people's comments and criticisms. Feel like I'm working in the dark a bit besides the occasional start. I am pleased to say that none of my levels rely on gimmicks or cheap tricks.

Jobbs

Banned
Pretty tired, but I got started in this and went with a little concept I had in mind. It's pretty simple and meant to be chaotic fun without being overly hard (though it may be a bit hard in spots).

C900-0000-0035-3B13

Game design master at work. :)

Demption

Just tried 100 Mario challenge on normal difficulty for the first time. The balance isn't great, some courses are way too hard and some are way too easy for normal difficulty.

Prestige Capo

Neo Member
Finished my first level and I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out. Tried to make it all about precise platforming and always being on the move, so I called it "Loco Motion". Some parts are a little tricky, but I promise you can pass this without dying or getting hit. Let me know what you guys think!

4DF7-0000-0033-0DD4

Top Bottom