• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Stoze

I've made 4 levels you guys should try them if you want: 33A6-0000-0031-48A8

I had a couple of questions though:
  • I can only make 1 sublevel?
  • I can only have one 3 second custom sfx right? Not longer?
  • I seem to be missing some items like SMW football dudes or SMB3 color blocks you can get behind of. Are these just not here or am I not shaking someone?

-Yeah, only 1 sublevel.
-Don't know about that custom sfx, but I doubt it.
-Football dudes aren't in the game. If I'm thinking of the same color blocks, then yes those are in the game. Can't go behind the background using the white one though.

Also I seriously couldn't sleep because my mind was racing with future level design.

PSqueak

Banned
Okay I was up waaaayyyyyy too late last night building my first "tower" type map. I'd appreciate anyone who wanted to check it out/give feedback!

"The Tower":
YwXpgp4Z9gjgRvpWpxbeot1zQs313xlbaWizc5cWqAXIjRpAVrZXBmrgV2RnPCJ5zHJCNG20O8P4CfBj_uIjS-YxrrNtlxN8O_e5RtM483zdHLA7nzMSUxREWj5O0Wgnr5btnZiclHvwnNy2OHiH8xma0-LaffhPfR5J9ASyktYf1eH6j2iLIl3MI4AMYGUa4RlKAQ9i2cgkaoOOVseeqA4npGwij8HwoaRQEzEJKIDXJvI9dQmg9vD8eReXEkLmsC_ZE4YqWceN6QyXvWIW76YOSqVqWJklL1rLM0q7K9Qmx1DDn8dpSeS8sCPy52YnZ4kAQELDcCBQoHyvQgOlTuyTNGDH5jyl_U5uGZck0LBnGxFxDkvL3f9750fzchDn_7ODc8OUGC4MRfyBrx38Ebs1jr8x-hPXl1GQkg6KIg9GagZdnjHV2NAqJX4iugz3K9LYiYR2iC1UjMXQcX9FdAoC-iyUr_Q3joQVD57gso82ERmmq0axHTjfhLNYe-Y5f_EDw2gYlDr4aMgRM-LOLgX1uC3e-RZvKG5x4EkufpQ=w931-h543-no

To me it's moderately difficult, but not unfair - and there's lots of help scattered about in the form of a mushroom. You climb a mechanical tower and - after a little Castlevania homage - confront Bowser in a battle that's hard to lose but still feels good.

A fellow tower builder! I'll give this a try on my lunch break.

No one wants to play mine? :(
The ending will give you feels...
Am I Late For The Party?
ID: 08D1-0000-0034-5FB0

I did not get feels. Good level, tight to play and felt fair although for me it was a little over stuffed in terms of ideas. I, personally, prefer levels that vary a concept to it's breaking point.

Nohar

Well, I decided to buy the game too, especially after seeing all of the amazing levels made by the community :)

Didn't unlock new elements yet. I guess I need to do the 10 Mario Challenge before being able to get new things? Anyhow, I published my first stage ever. It is a regular underground level based on pipes and piranha plants. Nothing too hard, I've just got the game, and I have yet to learn how to make stages which are both interesting and challenging.

If some of you are interested: E231-0000-0037-C9E7.

Recap:
  • Super Mario Bros. stage.
  • Underground theme.
  • Difficulty: Easy, with one tricky jump. Said jump can be ignored if you are in grown-up Mario form.
  • Enemies: A few Goombas, but a lot of Piranha Plants.

By the way, is there a way to find the code of our creations easily, or do we have to publish it (and complete it) each time we want to get a code?

I'll try your stages after the 10 Mario Challenge I think. I hope to have fun! :D

New stage: Leading A Bowser To Slaughter - 21CA-0000-0036-2C35
WVW69iYuspYGL813kU

A friend showed me a cool level of his which showed that Bowser can keep up with you if you're scrolling through a stage on turtle, so I took that idea (with his blessing) and made a cool castle/airship chase level.

Some bits didn't turn out as I planned, and there are some secrets in it, but it can be tricky

Yeah I get the amateurish spring bit, but it's meant to signify Bowser rising to the sky and I couldn't do it with one column of 4 springs:p

I tried and died a few times, then got stuck at the end. If you don't manage to break the ceiling before the screen stops scrolling and then get hit, you can't reach the stars anymore and can't beat the level.
Also, on all my runs Bowser jumped on the springs and then came falling down again and got stuck in the lower level part under the warp pipe. It felt jarring seeing him in the sky right after that.

I made a "Bowser following you"-level with slow scroll as well, so I know how hard it is to get him do what you want :)

I would be very grateful for suggestions or comments.
Reposting:

Bowser's Underground Lair
WVW69iYsmaA7UEekHP

Code: 23A4-0000-0035-251E
Concept: Bowser's following you through the level, but can't attack you directly at first. Flee and watch out for where and when he jumps! (I playtested this fairly long. Was tough to make him follow you until the end.)
"Hidden" 1-Ups: 3

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just made my first non flying spring related stage. It's a pretty simple stage that's based around the cape. Almost impossible to die in this one unless you go out of your way trying to. Decided to make failure allow the player to try the segment again instead of punishing them with death for this one. Let me know what you think. Made this one very quickly.

959A-0000-0037-C9D4

cyba89

I can confirm that you can't just simply do the easy 100 Mario challenge 100 times to unlock every costume. I just finished my sixteenth and got the prompt that I unlocked every costume for this difficulty level.

So I guess you have to do the expert challenge at some point.

Stoze

Hey wasn't there a website that released on Friday that was purely a hub for searching and sharing levels? Can't seem to find it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I can confirm that you can't just simply do the easy 100 Mario challenge 100 times to unlock every costume. I just finished my sixteenth and got the prompt that I unlocked every costume for this difficulty level.

Was Sonic one of he ones unlocked on easy?

papo

Is the custom sfx time really that short? :(

Also can I change the stage music? Like when I come off a pipe can I change the music that plays on that sublevel?

I've noticed if you put the heart SFX in boos they sound off, but not other types of sfx.

Anyone know of a good guide to learn that type of stuff?

Is the custom sfx time really that short? :(

Also can I change the stage music? Like when I come off a pipe can I change the music that plays on that sublevel?

I've noticed if you put the heart SFX in boos they sound off, but not other types of sfx.

Anyone know of a good guide to learn that type of stuff?

There is an effect icon you can use to change the music for at least a little while, it's the Bowser one (you can shake it to change it to a mushroom with different music). I don't think it will play through your entire sublevel unless it's re-triggered by the player encountering it again.

Would appreciate it if anyone tried out my first airship level, "Boarding The Flying Fleet". 5271-0000-0037-DA7A

It's made with a level design more in line with 3D Mario, but as a 2D experience. Medium difficulty perhaps?

Grym

In the last couple days, I've learned quickly that it is really hard to understand the problems with a course unless you get lots of comments or feedback on where things don't work or how to improve things. I can fly through all of my courses quickly, because I know what to expect but I've noticed in the completion %, that that doesn't really mean it is easy at all. It's really hard to find a good balance sometimes.

So with that said, if anyone wants to give a couple of my courses a go, any feedback (good, bad, or in-between) would be appreciated.

On Cloud 9
WVW69iX_dJw3iUwocx

1A94-0000-0019-DD9A
(this one - my first try - seems to be the fairest and most liked so far of the ones I've made?)

Bowser Brawl
WVW69iYiTBMR56HA8x

EBF6-0000-002F-3F83

Beetle Airways
WVW69iYlErMkt-ekRY

848F-0000-0031-0939

Bowser's da Bomb-omb
WVW69iYBKUEV_C_czs

393D-0000-001B-33BF
(this one is apparently too hard or unfair because the completion % is so low)

And let me know if you play anything. I will gladly return the favor and give your levels a shot as well!!

lt519

Despite going out of my way to make it nearly impossible to die on my most recent level, I only have a clear rate of ~55%. I didn't see any red X's on the map so I'm not sure how to interpret that.

How bizarre.

People quitting I suppose. I noticed that a lot too.

muteant

First off, it's truly impressive how Nintendo can make things so accessible. Sometimes their "leave no one behind" ethos can go too far for most of "our" tastes with handholding and whatnot, but it's quite amazing to witness my stepsister take 10 minutes to compose her first level—and it turn out eminently playable and even kinda imaginative and fun. It's amazing that my Iranian wife's grandmother from a bygone era no less (she can't read or write and barely watches TV) will sit there and watch with utter fascination the process of us creating level and then playing them (I intend to make her a deathless level so she can play too!).

Anyway, my taste for Mario levels leans toward brutally-challenging and slow-paced, but I figured the first one I shared with this community should be something less frustrating. I'd love some feedback on the below level, a relatively short and easy Ghost House one. In fact, I'll make a deal with all of you ... anyone who gives any kind of constructive comment (make sure to quote my post) on my level will in turn receive feedback from me on a level of their choosing.

d127a513b9af6c86643172brw7.png

Dreavus

Damnit!

Expert just seems like code for "unfair", at least right now. I was going to avoid it altogether.

Sapiens

A couple of random thoughts and a statement.

1. This game makes me realize the woefully limitations of the default gamepad battery. Will need to buy the bigger one. Which sucks - damn margins.

2. How will we play this once the NX is released and we want to make room under our TVs? I'm assuming the gamepad will be supported for BC (if there is BC). I mean, this game is astounding and should be iterated upon and updated rather frequently. It should be a utility that comes with new nintendo home systems, like those 3DS default apps. Really killer way to launch a new system. Maybe iPad/Tablet connectivity? I mean, I don't see this concept ever going away.

Observation - the hours just MELT away with this. Just sublime.

Just made my first non flying spring related stage. It's a pretty simple stage that's based around the cape. Almost impossible to die in this one unless you go out of your way trying to. Decided to make failure allow the player to try the segment again instead of punishing them with death for this one. Let me know what you think. Made this one very quickly.

959A-0000-0037-C9D4

Good idea here with the no death/ instant retry setup. Sets the foundations for a more involved cape stage.
I'm not sure if I went outside "the rules" so to speak near the end where after fumbling the flying bit immediately after diagonal descent through the sawblades I just flew up the exit from the ground level.

More importantly: I played Flying Spring 2 which is a huge improvement on the original idea, just the right level of obstacles ramping up in logical fashion, very good.

Just finished a new level I think is pretty nifty. It's short, but it's primarily based around a boss fight. Definitely a concept I want to tinker with more in the future, but would love any feedback!

SMB3_enemy_Koopa_Paratroopa.png

Paratroopa Bros.' Broken Fortress
A1C3-0000-0037-E93E

jholmes

Buzzy's Cavern: I really enjoyed this one. What's funny is I ended up missing the entrance to the alternate path and took what you had intended to be the exit pipe into it. I then proceeded to use the cape to fly over everything back to the start of the area.

Ha, that must have taken some doing! Glad you had fun, I definitely appreciate you giving them a spin. The one you didn't play, Mole Mountain, is a bit like the two you seemed to like the most, so if you're interested in more of that, it's definitely in the same vein.

Fishlake

I've added sound effect to my Wall of Chomp but haven't uploaded it yet. Anyone else have anything they would like changed on it. Also it is really amusing that my first level that is easy for me gets a 2% lead in completion.

I'll be back later today.

The Wall of Chomp

A0C8 0000 002E 2305

Based off of the Wall of Flesh from Terraria.

Hey gaf, any feedback would be highly appreciated on these :)

Wrong princess, pal.
WVW69iYvaRI6rmheg_

5B6E-0000-0036-5B48

Rise and fall
WVW69iYvw2ocQFD8DA

(edit: deleted, being reworked)

BashNasty

Just finished a level I'm particularly happy with.

Ghost Pit: A10B-0000-0037-EC30
WVW69iYyZVkpwuyihE

I really wanted to make this level have a great flow, the platforming isn't too hard and the level is designed so that you can rush through it pretty easily if you know what you're doing. Follow the coins (try to collect all 110) and time your jumps and you should be able to beat the level in 22 seconds. Of course, being a ghost level, there are a couple secrets too. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

JonnyKong

Do we know then how this game works in regards to how many times your level gets played? Is there a way to make it appear in more people's 'playlists' so to speak when they do the 100 Mario challenge? I'm just trying to work out why my first four levels have about 60-70 plays, but my most recent three levels only have about 10?

The only thing I can think of is if a level has more stars the more it appears in random rotation? So basically if you don't get starred from the off you're screwed about getting your level to a decent amount of people.

PSqueak

Banned
There is an effect icon you can use to change the music for at least a little while, it's the Bowser one (you can shake it to change it to a mushroom with different music). I don't think it will play through your entire sublevel unless it's re-triggered by the player encountering it again.

if you pin it on Mario, it plays for the entire level.

Aditionally: if you pin it on an enemy, it plays until that enemy is killed.

Do not place boss music and bonus music on the level itself unless it's a SINGLE screen room, it will stop as soon as the screen moves even a tiny bit,

Ok, here are my levels, the first one is my last one and so on.
3FF0 0000 0031 BBF2
E5C0 0000 002E A7CA
ADE8 0000 001F 1FD1
8266 0000 0016 ED26
000A 0000 0012 45DB
49E6 0000 0011 5A2C
give it a go!

Just finished a new level I think is pretty nifty. It's short, but it's primarily based around a boss fight. Definitely a concept I want to tinker with more in the future, but would love any feedback!

Paratroopa Bros.' Broken Fortress
A1C3-0000-0037-E93E

Not that it's much a dealbreaker but you can bypass the second beanstalk block bit by just bouncing off the koopa that pops out the pipe.

Is it weird that part of the reason I just jumped on this stage was because I was thinking "Oric will almost certainly try and have some kind of visual cohesive element to his stage", I like to think I'm not wrong.
Anyway clever if torturous idea at the end there.

Wrong princess, pal.
WVW69iYvaRI6rmheg_

5B6E-0000-0036-5B48

I almost feel sorry for Bowser's troops now, this is why Rosalina doesn't get kidnapped.

Not that it's much a dealbreaker but you can bypass the second beanstalk block bit by just bouncing off the koopa that pops out the pipe.

Is it weird that part of the reason I just jumped on this stage was because I was thinking "Oric will almost certainly try and have some kind of visual cohesive element to his stage", I like to think I'm not wrong.
Anyway clever if torturous idea at the end there.
Haha, aw man, that's unfortunate about being able to jump off the koopa, but it actually used to be worse; I originally made it so short you could just jump up there with ease and didn't notice until my upload playthrough. Will have to fix that.

Did you think the "boss" was too hard? I went through several iterations of it and was never sure if the difficulty was quite right.

RyType

Trying to make fun levels with a medium level of challenge and not completely over the top- hope you enjoy!

Stanley's Greenhouse
6AAF-0000-0038-00D8

Pives

Pure platforming level in classic mario style with a few secrets. Also, it's possible to finish it in 19 seconds. Can you ?
B109-0000-0037-FEAC
fNhTKt8.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
Just a heads up, if you like to idle your Wii U as you work on different things around the house, if you forget to save your level -- Wii U will shut itself down to inactivity and toss away all your work. Kinda dumb they didn't think of that.

BashNasty

Rise and fall
WVW69iYvw2ocQFD8DA

F0DC-0000-0036-8151

I beat Rise and Fall after about 4 tries. Overall, though there were some good ideas in there (magikoopa boss fight was fun), the level came off as messy and unfocused to me. It wasn't particularly aesthetically pleasing, there were a few too many enemies and things tossed in for no good reason, and the dead ends were annoying to me rather than amusing.

Regardless, I still gave you a star, because god knows we all need 'em. People really, really need to stop being so stingy with their stars.

Do we know then how this game works in regards to how many times your level gets played? Is there a way to make it appear in more people's 'playlists' so to speak when they do the 100 Mario challenge? I'm just trying to work out why my first four levels have about 60-70 plays, but my most recent three levels only have about 10?

The only thing I can think of is if a level has more stars the more it appears in random rotation? So basically if you don't get starred from the off you're screwed about getting your level to a decent amount of people.

I don't think stars have anything to do with it. I'm pretty sure it's completely random, so of course your first levels have more plays than your old ones, they've been up longer.

Just a heads up, if you like to idle your Wii U as you work on different things around the house, if you forget to save your level -- Wii U will shut itself down to inactivity and toss away all your work. Kinda dumb they didn't think of that.

You can turn that off completely.

Someone wants to try my first uploaded level? No one played it so far... :(
It's an airship level and the main concept is to jump on the bullet bills and cannonballs to not fall down. I tried to have the difficulty rise from start to finish. Any feedback welcome:

9120-0000-0037-02C4

Haha, aw man, that's unfortunate about being able to jump off the koopa, but it actually used to be worse; I originally made it so short you could just jump up there with ease and didn't notice until my upload playthrough. Will have to fix that.

Did you think the "boss" was too hard? I went through several iterations of it and was never sure if the difficulty was quite right.

Maybe add one more mushroom that comes in earlier than the rest, first time you enter it's like OH GOD WHAT'S HAPPENING?! which probably leads to a few quick hits from the enemies.

Regardless, I still gave you a star, because god knows we all need 'em. People really, really need to stop being so stingy with their stars.

I agree with this completely. I star anything that seems like it had a bit of thought put into it and might be remotely fun to play again at some point.

KidB

Second course is up, Not for the Spineless

WVW69iYyl40XBaHpyC

DD7A-0000-0038-0B19

It's based on, well... Spinies! It becomes kinda bullethellish in the end...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Someone wants to try my first uploaded level? No one played it so far... :(

I think we should start implementing a rule that you must comment on someone elses course before posting your own (I'm not directing that at you, just a general statement). That way we won't have levels getting lost to the last few pages, etc.

What do y'all think?

Top Bottom