• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

daydream

Banned
gonna clear out my community showcase candidate backlog in an hour or two

if you have any suggestions for great gaffer levels you played, let me know via pm and i'll take a look at them!

New level. Would like to get some feedback here or in Miiverse.

Big Brain Academy Bros.
9C1F-0000-0037-12F1
WVW69iYw9O0csSD4zv

Not a platformer but a logic game. And Dr.Lobe is the protagonist. Can you answer everything correctly?

Great concept, and the death traps were hilarious. There is a slight bug, though, in the "how many 1UPs" puzzle where if you scroll too far to the right to see the range of possible responses, you can't go back to observe the 1UPs again as they have disappeared. Unless you're okay with this by design, of course, much like how the last puzzle is also a memory/attention test that you can't go back to check.

Okay I was up waaaayyyyyy too late last night building my first "tower" type map. I'd appreciate anyone who wanted to check it out/give feedback!

"The Tower" (367F-0000-0035-6FDF):
YwXpgp4Z9gjgRvpWpxbeot1zQs313xlbaWizc5cWqAXIjRpAVrZXBmrgV2RnPCJ5zHJCNG20O8P4CfBj_uIjS-YxrrNtlxN8O_e5RtM483zdHLA7nzMSUxREWj5O0Wgnr5btnZiclHvwnNy2OHiH8xma0-LaffhPfR5J9ASyktYf1eH6j2iLIl3MI4AMYGUa4RlKAQ9i2cgkaoOOVseeqA4npGwij8HwoaRQEzEJKIDXJvI9dQmg9vD8eReXEkLmsC_ZE4YqWceN6QyXvWIW76YOSqVqWJklL1rLM0q7K9Qmx1DDn8dpSeS8sCPy52YnZ4kAQELDcCBQoHyvQgOlTuyTNGDH5jyl_U5uGZck0LBnGxFxDkvL3f9750fzchDn_7ODc8OUGC4MRfyBrx38Ebs1jr8x-hPXl1GQkg6KIg9GagZdnjHV2NAqJX4iugz3K9LYiYR2iC1UjMXQcX9FdAoC-iyUr_Q3joQVD57gso82ERmmq0axHTjfhLNYe-Y5f_EDw2gYlDr4aMgRM-LOLgX1uC3e-RZvKG5x4EkufpQ=w931-h543-no

To me it's moderately difficult, but not unfair - and there's lots of help scattered about in the form of a mushroom. You climb a mechanical tower and - after a little Castlevania homage - confront Bowser in a battle that's hard to lose but still feels good.

Nicely made, and also how I learnt the hard way that you can't bump into a donut block from the side. Bowser is perhaps a little easy to skip, but that's par for the course in a Mario game.

Bowser's Underground Lair
WVW69iYsmaA7UEekHP

Code: 23A4-0000-0035-251E
Concept: Bowser's following you through the level, but can't attack you directly at first. Flee and watch out for where and when he jumps! (I playtested this fairly long. Was tough to make him follow you until the end.)
"Hidden" 1-Ups: 3

Neat interactions here, like getting him to hop into the clown car. I'm glad I was already watching out for enemies hopping onto P-switches after seeing it in other stages, as that could have been a nasty surprise.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Good idea here with the no death/ instant retry setup. Sets the foundations for a more involved cape stage.
I'm not sure if I went outside "the rules" so to speak near the end where after fumbling the flying bit immediately after diagonal descent through the sawblades I just flew up the exit from the ground level.

More importantly: I played Flying Spring 2 which is a huge improvement on the original idea, just the right level of obstacles ramping up in logical fashion, very good.
Ah. I missed something. Should have tested more. The idea was to make the player use Yoshi to bounce on the sawblades at the end to get to the exit. I'm not sure why I didn't account for that.

Munter

Just tweaked and fine-tuned a level I created yesterday. Would appreciate any feedback. It's a little more forgiving than what it was yesterday :)

Bonus: Nod to a classic TV show fellow Brits should know

Forgot to show ID in the screenshot: C446-0000-0038-0DF9

RfbxpeJ.jpg

GulAtiCa

I haven't unlocked anything from category 5 and I've been creating a level/using every item for a while. Am I missing something?

Just spam the blocks for 2 minutes and they will unlock fast. I spent the last 30 minutes of unlocking 5 different things just listening to the music that comes out of placing blocks.

daydream

Banned
I think we should start implementing a rule that you must comment on someone elses course before posting your own (I'm not directing that at you, just a general statement). That way we won't have levels getting lost to the last few pages, etc.

What do y'all think?

i think it's common courtesy that, if someone plays your level and critiques it, you should take a look at one of theirs and return the favour

not everybody's doing it, unfortunately, but you can't really impose something like that as a "rule"

i think it's common courtesy that, if someone plays your level and critiques it, you should take a look at one of theirs and return the favour

not everybody's doing it, unfortunately, but you can't really impose something like that as a "rule"

Yeah "quid pro quo" would be a nice part of the Mario Maker Social Contract. Look at, comment and (if worthy) star my levels and I'll do the same for yours.

Maybe add one more mushroom that comes in earlier than the rest, first time you enter it's like OH GOD WHAT'S HAPPENING?! which probably leads to a few quick hits from the enemies.
Argh, the last change I made was making the mushrooms come in later. Thanks for the feedback, definitely wanted this to be a prototype for a future level like this and this all helps a lot!

Wingus

Someone wants to try my first uploaded level? No one played it so far... :(
It's an airship level and the main concept is to jump on the bullet bills and cannonballs to not fall down. I tried to have the difficulty rise from start to finish. Any feedback welcome:

9120-0000-0037-02C4

I enjoyed it. A busy level and it wasn't too difficult for anyone who knows how to handle multiple bullet bills and homing bills ;). The last section could prove tricky as not everyone would have lured the bills heading in that direction to spawn the final set of cannons to start firing... Nothing that a mad dash to the exit can't fix.

cyba89

Great concept, and the death traps were hilarious. There is a slight bug, though, in the "how many 1UPs" puzzle where if you scroll too far to the right to see the range of possible responses, you can't go back to observe the 1UPs again as they have disappeared. Unless you're okay with this by design, of course, much like how the last puzzle is also a memory/attention test that you can't go back to check.

Yes that puzzle is not perfect. These mushrooms act weird when they are out of screen. They are actually all behind the piranha plants there.
A little time after I uploaded I figured out I could place a set of doors there to let them respawn. But I think it's not too bad how it's now as long as you can read the question before doing the task.

AdanVC

I checked this one out. The main hook is nice, and I really liked the small backtrack after grabbing rhe leaf.

It only needs a few tweaks.

One, get rid of that damn boo near the thwomp! It made the puzzle your going for feel cheap!

Second, maybe make the leaf come out a dispenser pipe somehow? I grabbed both the main leaf and the hidden one and... lost it to the thwomp :(

Finally, lose that final boo! It disrupts the reward feeling when you think you're just about to beat a level to either slowly lure it out of the way take the low route. Either way it's not as satisfying.

Wohoo! It feels nice when someone played a level I made and leaves a comment+critique :D Much appreciated!

And I guess you're right. I think I would get rid of that Boo. Even though, the base of the level is based on him (That's why the title of "The Little Guardian, haha, he is supposed to guard the entrance of the door while Mario tries to get rid of the blocks with the bombs), but yeah I think it just add unnecesary challenge. I experimented by adding a hammer bros but that was even worse because you didn't even saw the hammers falling. Thanks for playing my level :) will make those tweaks as soon as I get home.

ThatMattZ

Made a bunch of courses. I think they get better as they go. That being said I am pretty happy with how they all turned out. I tried to stay true to the Mario conventions, lead the player to the paths, have risk/reward areas, avoid cheap deaths for the sake of being cheap and build in memorable sections. I've cut down on the different type of gimmicks in the level too so as not to overwhelm the player with different enemy types or scenarios. I'm absolutely in love with this game. Anyway here are my levels so far. Let me know what you guys think!

World 1-Z (6281-0000-001B-3C8E)

World Z-2 (D95D-0000-001C-903C)

World Z-3 (AA21-0000-0022-2057)

Castle Z-1 (993E-0000-0026-1CA1)

The Secrets of Airship Z (ECAE-0000-002E-BAC8)

Which Way to Wiggler? (1757-0000-0032-1BAE)

World M-1 (FECA-0000-0034-A678)

Nicely made, and also how I learnt the hard way that you can't bump into a donut block from the side. Bowser is perhaps a little easy to skip, but that's par for the course in a Mario game.

I actually chuckled when I read that bit about the donut blocks because I didn't know that either until I was playtesting... I kinda loved how mean it was, but I tried to soften it a little by adding a couple "fixed" blocks here and there.

I do wish there was a way to build in a gatekeeper boss feature - i.e., door doesn't open until enemy is dead. But I hoped with the infinite fire flowers, people would hang out rather than skip.

Thanks for playing and giving feedback! I'll do the same for you when I get home.

KDR_11k

This very simple level got the most stars for me:

WVW69iYSZEQNuLNTuu

545E-0000-0026-7E45

Just a bunch of blocks and bob-ombs. Bomb your way through the layers.

Kinsei

Banned
Ha, that must have taken some doing! Glad you had fun, I definitely appreciate you giving them a spin. The one you didn't play, Mole Mountain, is a bit like the two you seemed to like the most, so if you're interested in more of that, it's definitely in the same vein.

Oh yeah, I did play Mole Mountain but I forgot to mention it in my post. I enjoyed it. It felt like an enjoyable early game level.

HyperHip

Got around to using the ghost theme, man SMB1 song is so good! Anyway here is a new level I made with the theme:

WVW69iYx7ZEcmv6_v0

Ghost n' Goombas: F7B0-0000-0037-A40A

My attempt at a semi-hard level, I hope it came out okay.

Feel free to blast me about the vines.

Wohoo! It feels nice when someone played a level I made and leaves a comment+critique :D Much appreciated!

And I guess you're right. I think I would get rid of that Boo. Even though, the base of the level is based on him (That's why the title of "The Little Guardian, haha, he is supposed to guard the entrance of the door while Mario tries to get rid of the blocks with the bombs), but yeah I think it just add unnecesary challenge. I experimented by adding a hammer bros but that was even worse because you didn't even saw the hammers falling. Thanks for playing my level :) will make those tweaks as soon as I get home.

I literally just opened the thread to check it out!

Hmmm that is a clever name/theme, so I'd hate to ditch it. Can you make more room to navigate to the right of the thwomp? And get rid of the 2 hidden blocks next to the beanstalk so a player won't get trapped? Take out the closest bomb pipe and just give the area more room to breath, you only need one pipe anyways. Hopefully this fixes being cramped there, which was the biggest issue with your level, while still keeping your theme.

Made a bunch of courses. I think they get better as they go. That being said I am pretty happy with how they all turned out. I tried to stay true to the Mario conventions, lead the player to the paths, have risk/reward areas, avoid cheap deaths for the sake of being cheap and build in memorable sections. I've cut down on the different type of gimmicks in the level too so as not to overwhelm the player with different enemy types or scenarios. I'm absolutely in love with this game. Anyway here are my levels so far. Let me know what you guys think!

World 1-Z (6281-0000-001B-3C8E)

World Z-2 (D95D-0000-001C-903C)

World Z-3 (AA21-0000-0022-2057)

Castle Z-1 (993E-0000-0026-1CA1)

The Secrets of Airship Z (ECAE-0000-002E-BAC8)

Which Way to Wiggler? (1757-0000-0032-1BAE)

World M-1 (FECA-0000-0034-A678)

I care about level aesthetics and naming, and on that basis alone I'm going to at least check out "The Secrets of Airship Z" later. Great name lol.

phanphare

Banned
two things I noticed while playing today

I wish the Mario World tile set's spin jump changed which way you're facing randomly. unless it just hasn't happened for me you face the way you were facing every time.

and I wish we could control item blocks more, like ones that have a power up in them but only if you have a mushroom already.

KeRaSh

My newest creation. Went with the SMB3 Haunted Mansion style. I'd say it's pretty similar to what you would find in a regular Mario game with a few twists. It's also pretty fair difficulty wise.

WVW69iYyzace2mp2LG

Let me know what you think!

Dry Steve's haunted Mansion
Course ID: BC1A-0000-0038-2B29

I wish the Mario World tile set's spin jump changed which way you're facing randomly. unless it just hasn't happened for me you face the way you were facing every time.

and I wish we could control item blocks more, like ones that have a power up in them but only if you have a mushroom already.

You can enforce that second request by putting a brick tile underneath a question block (with a flower/star/etc). That way you have to be big to break the brick in order to get the better power up.

Not exactly slick, but it works.

PSqueak

Banned
You can enforce that second request by putting a brick tile underneath a question block (with a flower/star/etc). That way you have to be big to break the brick in order to get the better power up.

Clever idea, might steal that for future levels.

Yeah, I don't understand getting rid of the power up order rule that they've been using in every game since the first. Must be some level logic problem they think is above most people's heads.

Ah that's an interesting idea. Aesthetically sorta annoying, but smart.

Gsnap

Well, everyone. I finally found some time to finish my first real course. I think it turned out ok. It's probably a little on the easy side for everyone here, but I focused more on presentation than challenge for this level.

Title: Raiding Rocky's Air Ride
Style: Super Mario World: Airship
Difficulty: Easy-Medium
Idea: You've been tailing Rocky Wrench's airship for months, and you finally found them anchored high in the mountaintops. Board the ship and take back what they've stolen from you! (And of course you can steal some of their treasure as well)
Secrets: Well you'll have to find those for yourself. : )

98A3-0000-0038-2E02

Hope you guys like it. Constructive criticism is always welcome of course. I'll be looking through the recent pages and playing some levels, and I'll give my thoughts on them soon.

Wingus

My newest creation. Went with the SMB3 Haunted Mansion style. I'd say it's pretty similar to what you would find in a regular Mario game with a few twists. It's also pretty fair difficulty wise.

WVW69iYyzace2mp2LG

Relatively straightforward and a very large spacious level. (I tried to jump across the large gap to the P-switch at the start to see if I could skip practically the entire level - I failed. ;) In terms of enemies, I didn't feel in danger at any time, so I reckon the threat level could be notched up a bit. :)

Anyway, I have more levels if anyone wants to try them out :)

Ghost House of Fun - E593-0000-0032-E0C3

Theme: SMW. Use of doors and working out where to go. A relatively short level and I can already see where I could improve with this. Wondering if anyone else would feel the same once they've played it.

Icy Demeanor - 79E7-0000-002D-B04F

Theme: SM3. This is my first level focused around sub-levels and ice blocks. Nothing too tricky, but nothing unfair either.

Chain Chomp and Friends - BE21 - 0000-0025-9AAC

This turned out short, simple but somewhat difficult. Happy if someone finds it worth their time to pass it (and grab the 1-up).

893F-0000-0038-3858

wiiu_screenshot_tv_011bxiy.jpg

Crisium

Does anyone know what clear rate Nintendo uses for Easy-Normal-Expert? I hope they are very liberal with their numbers.

It seems like everyone will get deflated numbers. Your level might take the average player 4 tries, so 25%. I would rightly call that normal. However, there will be the occasional player who has some trouble and takes 15 lives. Then you will have the numerous players who only give it 1-3 tries and just stop, and they bring down the average since they never complete it.

And that's hypothetical, as my levels have 2%, 4%, and 5% and at least the latter two in no way whatsoever ever approach Kaizo.

There are so many stupid "pixel perfect trick" levels and "trial and error memorization" levels with below 5% completion rate that it almost feels like a disservice to see my 4% and 5% grouped there when I simply consider them normal with a legit skill based challenge (my 2% I understand heh). I think the amount of dedicated players who will never win or take forever combined with the players who jettison after a few attempts really brings down my averages.

So what range does normal even have? I'd rightly give it 5%-25% myself, but honestly could see going even lower!

Jobbs

Banned
I made my first quick level last night, and I thought it was kind of easy and fun, but it has a 5% clear rate. Why is this so hard? Just use the spike hat.

Spikey Dave & Pals
C900-0000-0035-3B13

Guess which one is Dave.

I'll have to make sure my next level is easier.

Naar

um i cant see the ID number on courses anymore....???

even other peoples courses i cant see the ID. anyone know why?

SuomiDude

Ok, I spent tons of time on my newest stage, so hopefully some people play it and give comments. It's called Mariovania Stage 1 and as you probably guessed, it's Castlevania 1's (NES version) stage 1. I'm pretty happy about it, had to use lots of imagination to create even somewhat similar stage using Mario-objects and enemies. This stage encourages minor searching on top of some small amount of platforming for secrets and if you're familiar with CV you probably know where to look. Hope you enjoy :)

Code: C726-0000-0038-4094

WVW69iYy8ZozSgDHHr

Here's a few levels that I made over the past weekend. Consider it as a "World 1" of sorts.

Humble Beginnings E75E-0000-0019-B9C0

Rough Times BFCA-0000-001B-FCD8

Underground Flying 3E1D-0000-0024-2425

Fire Lake Castle (3C90-0000-0033-5A3E)

Of course, feedback is appreciated.

Crisium

Finished my first stage. I already know one small tweak I want to do at one point, but feedback would be appreciated.

WVW69iYsf_c6JU9nFv

Tracks of Fury
79E6-0000-0035-1631

There are two hidden one ups, as well as a secret sub world. I tried to give hints as to some of that stuff. The first one up is a bit painfully obvious with all the arrows though.

As obvious as it was, by the time I saw the arrows I missed it. Doh!

A fun ride with a bit of challenge without truly stupid tricks. I think the Bowser fight was a bit anticlimactic though since you almost couldn't die with a respawning Fire Flower right there. But those are hard to balance because if it is too hard then people quit your level right at the end. Overall I starred the level because I enjoyed it, nice first work.

I almost feel sorry for Bowser's troops now, this is why Rosalina doesn't get kidnapped.

Haha, nice, at first I wanted it to be about Peach taking her destiny into her own hands for once but that costume has been refusing to show up so far. I think I like the "don't mess with Rosalina" approach just as much though. ^^

I beat Rise and Fall after about 4 tries. Overall, though there were some good ideas in there (magikoopa boss fight was fun), the level came off as messy and unfocused to me. It wasn't particularly aesthetically pleasing, there were a few too many enemies and things tossed in for no good reason, and the dead ends were annoying to me rather than amusing.

Regardless, I still gave you a star, because god knows we all need 'em. People really, really need to stop being so stingy with their stars.

Thanks for the star and the feedback! I guess the atmosphere I was going for with the hell part comes off as just too messy, I'll try streamlining it a lot more.

Gsnap

WVW69iYyzace2mp2LG

This is pretty good. Enemy's seem placed in logical spots and are relatively challenging. Each door leads to the next area, so it's not a maze, but it does feel like you're traveling all over a haunted mansion because of it. Variety in obstacles/ideas/gimmicks is also nice.

This turned out short, simple but somewhat difficult. Happy if someone finds it worth their time to pass it (and grab the 1-up).

893F-0000-0038-3858

wiiu_screenshot_tv_011bxiy.jpg

Couldn't really enjoy this one. The idea is solid, but the enemy spam kinda kills it for me. If that's what you're going for, fine, but if you want it to be difficult, while also reasonable, consider adding a little more focus to obstacle placement.

KeRaSh

Relatively straightforward and a very large spacious level. (I tried to jump across the large gap to the P-switch at the start to see if I could skip practically the entire level - I failed. ;) In terms of enemies, I didn't feel in danger at any time, so I reckon the threat level could be notched up a bit. :)

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I made sure that it'a not skippable.
Finding a good difficulty balance is the hardest part for me right now. I start out with something and then fine tune it according to my skill level. Then I start wondering about other people and think they might find it too hard. If someone dies halfway through a level twice chances are they just skip the level entirely. That's not what I want so I end up making the level a little too easy.

I'll give your levels a try tomorrow!

Snowman

I just had my first go at a "Don't Move" level or whatever, I haven't put in any of the sound effects like the other ones have but I'm pretty happy with it so far, will probably add to it later:

853B-0000-0038-4A32

Top Bottom