• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

(mat)

Posted about it earlier, but I'd love for someone to give it a shot. I updated my gimmicky Bob-omb Shooting Gallery level.

Take a look!

Bob-omb Shooting Gallery:
C159-0000-0039-1DA0

WVW69iY2xucRe1RHhc
Let me know what you think. :)

I liked it! The last part with bowser was a tad tricky but I managed to pull it off! Very fun level!

How do I star levels? Cause I want to star it.

Glad you enjoyed it! After beating it, there's a star button on the left of the screen. Or you can hit the pause button while playing and there should be a big star button. :)

Pooxi

Neo Member
I actually finished a level I feel pretty confident about.
Its based on Zelda and it even has a boss battle!

The first part of a series I want to make:

tLoM 1-1 Forest Temple
Edit: There is a version 2 now, the new code is 60BF-0000-003F-2DDB

WVW69iY2_mgvuieySP

Please play it, feedback would be nice too. I'll play any of your levels in return ;)

Kangi

I've retired my House of Deception level, and added Tricky Manor in its place:

Tricky Manor
620D-0000-003A-8A30
KG6wVVI.jpg

Difficulty: Advanced

Nothing too long or complicated. If you're ever in a jam, look for a hidden block; there are loads of them tucked away.

Can you find all three 1-Ups? Only one is in a hidden block.

I liked it! The last part with bowser was a tad tricky but I managed to pull it off! Very fun level!

How do I star levels? Cause I want to star it.

When you beat a level, you can either Comment (which stars it automatically) or just star it (the star right next to "Comment"). Not sure if you can outside of that, though.

I just finished a new themed stage:

WVW69iY271MT5fZSLZ

Jurassic (Mario) World
5293-0000-003A-7E9E

I tried to tell the Jurassic Park story as well as I could in the context of a Mario level. You tour the park and notice that something's escaped. You enter the main facilities, try to survive, explore the genetic engineering labs, fight and befriend various giant creatures, and finally battle (or run away from) a big T-rex-ish thing. Of course, it's a Mario level, so... it's pretty much just a Mario level!

Let me know what you think!

That was fun. The inside was surprisingly good - I expected just a mashup of monsters, but this had some good design. As for suggestions, I don't know if you have space in the main world, but it might be nice to space out the intro cages a little. It felt like I was flying by it all. And, on the inside,
I kind of want to struggle against the giant "dinos" before I get the powerup.

Sephzilla

So I just had someone with a green name check out one of my levels. Any special meaning to that? For some reason I don't remember seeing green names before.

(I'm probably just forgetting the green names)

VandalD

tLoM 1-1 Forest Temple
E416-0000-003A-86F7
)
I got stuck at the part where you have to fly to make a jump because I lost my leaf. I got stuck in the block room before that twice because I lost my leaf. I gave up on it. I went back to it. Got past that stuff and figured out how to beat the boss, which was pretty neat.

Dad

I actually finished a level I feel pretty confident about.
Its based on Zelda and it even has a boss battle!

The first part of a series I want to make:

tLoM 1-1 Forest Temple
E416-0000-003A-86F7

WVW69iY2_mgvuieySP

Please play it, feedback would be nice too. I'll play any of your levels in return ;)
Maybe I'm just dumb but I can't at all figure out what to do

Edit: Yeah, just dumb. Figured out what I'm doing

Dimmle

Not too tough! And that was definitely satisfying when I got about midway through. ;P I liked it. The ending felt a little like there might be a bit too much going on, but I zipped past it anyway so I don't know if it really matters.

Thanks! Zipping is good, that's the idea! I wanted to convey the sense of bowling through fire piranhas like they're nothing after they caused so much trouble in the first half of the level.

So here's my level:

6JvxkS2.jpg

Destroy the Airship!
DAC2-0000-003A-4224

Lots of action in this explosion-filled level as you snipe bob-ombs from afar. Was quite fun to make!

I played this level. Really awesome! But... the 2nd clown car dry bones was a bit much there. Changes the level from a fun challenge to fuck this! I cleared though!

----------------------------------------------

My levels (as posted before)

Castle Assault!

WVW69iYrkfo0hNjdLC

Airship Armada!

WVW69iYYWuUbGCR_nm

Pooxi

Neo Member
I got stuck at the part where you have to fly to make a jump because I lost my leaf. I got stuck in the block room before that twice because I lost my leaf. I gave up on it. I went back to it. Got past that stuff and figured out how to beat the boss, which was pretty neat.

Yeah, I figured that would happen
that's why there is a leaf hidden in the block room
Thanks for the input! :)

Is there a way to make haunted blocks? I cant seem to figure it out.

The blocks where the boos kinda come out like a fluid on a normal floor tile.

There needs to be a place to see every single combination for the tiles. I keep forgetting all of the stuff I can create.

Put a boo one tile next to a block, it should snap to the block and turn into the enemy you want.

VandalD

Yeah, I figured that would happen
that's why there is a leaf hidden in the block room
Thanks for the input! :)
Yeah.. I lost that one too. First time I grabbed it before I lost the previous one. Second time I lost it immediately to a ghost. Third time I would've lost it as soon as I grabbed it because of the ghosts. Hate those floor/ceiling ghosts. They can pop up anywhere.

rawk

That was fun. The inside was surprisingly good - I expected just a mashup of monsters, but this had some good design. As for suggestions, I don't know if you have space in the main world, but it might be nice to space out the intro cages a little. It felt like I was flying by it all. And, on the inside,
I kind of want to struggle against the giant "dinos" before I get the powerup.

Thanks!

Don't think I really have too much space in the "overworld," as it's pretty crammed with the vestibule areas of the buildings, but I see what you mean. I wish I could slow down the conveyors, or stick Mario in a little ride vehicle. I suppose I could have left out the conveyors, but I think they're important for getting across the idea of it being a ride.

For the inside,
I'd agree if there were checkpoints. As it is, the level is somewhat long, and I didn't want people to die near the end, as I don't think people would be inclined to try again. I imagined the level as an amusement with some very light challenges so that people could make it all the way to "t-rex" without dying, while still feeling like they accomplished something.

Thanks again for the feedback!

phanphare

Banned
uploaded my fourth course! this one is really easy (I think) but it's fun and there is a puzzle kind of. there aren't any enemies in this level. it's trollish but not in a mean way to the player.

eat at shenanigans - B7B9-0000-003A-B6C7

WVW69iY3TywYN7xx5F

my past two levels have had the 100 mario challenge in mind haha. I played through that a couple of times and some of the levels are just awful. came up with two levels that aren't hard but are fun to play through, or at least I think they are.

Okay I went back and looked at my level turns out I should have pointed out a little things to give some hints. And went and added sound effects and other things. The level is easy if you end up finding the power ups hidden and keeping them.

27ED-0000-003A-B15F

Now I actually enjoy my stage now since I got it down to a pat.

GulAtiCa

WVW69iY3V9gp3TQg1-

SMW: A Day's Walk (C608-0000-003A-BBEF)

A new stage from me, more of a normal Super Mario World type level. Let me know what you think!

Kiro

New Level! For those who want a platforming challenge!

Name: Platform Peril
Tileset: SMW/Castle
Difficulty: 8/10 (no enemies)
Code: 8D34-0000-003A-BE02

I made this level without enemies and you have several branching points. You can pick your path several times based on the platforming element.

Would really appreciate some people playing this and some feedback. My second level ever... It may be a little difficult but you can do it!!!

tariniel

My latest level.

Light and Shadow
C82E-0000-0038-7E5F

cvR4MqL.png

(Pardon the poorly stiched together image, I only have Paint on here)

This was probably the best level I've played so far. Amazing, amazing job.

WVW69iY3V9gp3TQg1-

SMW: A Day's Walk (C608-0000-003A-BBEF)

A new stage from me, more of a normal Super Mario World type level. Let me know what you think!

That was really fun! Thank you for sharing :) left you a star. It felt like a real mario level, which is a good thing.

I tried your stage. Took me about 20+ tries lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKIFwu-LUjQ

I missed the sub world area. I'm guessing its by the last moving platform. But since I died so many times, I didn't want to take any chances. I enjoyed your stage though, thanks!
Thank you so much. And thanks for the youtube link. It is interesting watching someone else play the stage.

And yes, the last moving platform holds the key to the sub area.
Just ride it as it drops. You land on a pipe. It takes you to a bonus room where Lakitus throw 1-ups and stars at you. Then it drops you down onto the axe to kill Bowser instantly. The stars are more an insurance policy if he breathes fire to catch you.

Thank you again for playing it and providing feedback.

EDIT: Just watched your play through. I never tried doing the cape spin to kill the flying Koopa Troopa before, but it makes sense.
One of the spin blocks right before the Hammer Bros. as the platform drops has a feather in it to help out.
There is a hidden 1-up just above the door that takes you to the Thwomp room.

Jims

I don’t love concept levels, but this was fun! I’m a sucker for alternate dimension mechanics so I guess it was easy to make an exception for this – and this pulled off the mechanic well. One big pet peeve: vines shouldn’t be hard to get off of! I think because of cannon placement it was easier to do the vine jump in the bad future than in the good future. Definitely had a Sonic CD feel and I caught the Chrono Trigger bit at the end – subtle but appreciated. Well worth playing.

Thanks for checking it out! I wasn't sure if the concept worked better with two-way pipes between eras (with a lot of back-and-forth switching) or to do it linear. Ended up feeling like the one-way pipes made the overall deja vu feeling a lot stronger. Then the loops started to make the level kinda long, so I made the ending really easy and straightforward.

Glad you caught the little Chrono Trigger nod! I was worried the giant mess at the end would just look like randomness for the sake of randomness.

Tomorrow, I'll go through a few of yours and get going on some of these beautiful GAF levels. Writing down those codes is such a pain.

GulAtiCa

Okay I went back and looked at my level turns out I should have pointed out a little things to give some hints. And went and added sound effects and other things. The level is easy if you end up finding the power ups hidden and keeping them.

27ED-0000-003A-B15F

Now I actually enjoy my stage now since I got it down to a pat.

That was tough, but fun!

Sephzilla

Touch Shrooms, Get Messy - (36A2-0000-003A-9B82)

The idea here is that it's supposed to be a spiritual remake to Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy from Yoshi's Island (not a direct recreation, but utilizing the same idea). I utilized one of the special effects plus wings to turn mushrooms into the "fuzzies" of this level. In terms of level design it's a fairly straight forward platforming level with a few enemies that are there just to be a pain in your backside. Aesthetically my hope with the level was to have as many straight and narrow lines/shapes as possible so that when the "dizzy" effect takes place everything looks as wobbly and disorienting as possible. There are also a couple of small secrets located in the level, just so you know.

WVW69iY3IXsK8tKbd3

Gurrry

Do you like Basketball???!!

Do You like Mario??

Well get ready... for SUPER MARIO BOMBSKET-BALL!!!

Can YOU be the super star and make the game winning shot at the buzzer?

Come try your luck at.. SUPER MARIO BOMBSKET-BALL!!!

Course ID: 5928-0000-003A-DD78

Please give me a star and a comment if you can! I would really appreciate any feedback!

FrsDvl

Could anyone tell me how to enable that thing that helps you by adding a trail of Mario's when creating a level and trying to precisely place blocks?

GulAtiCa

Thanks! It gets better the further you go. It has a whole underground sub layer to it as well. Just have to do some juggling with with the koopa shells to go up vines.

Yeah I noticed. As soon as I get
Yoshi & the Cape
it gets a lot easier (though still challenging). Haven't beaten it quite yet, but did Fav it so I can try later.

suikodan

Here are the four levels I created from oldest to latest.

Jump the bullet!!!
C24D8299-7E9D-4575-A459-0CDCD41908B4_zpsu76k4gte.jpg

(2AFE-0000-0021-9FB1)

Bowser and son
8637392D-CFE1-47EC-972F-16B2B6198ACC_zpspufvtgvj.jpg

(378F-0000-0025-83F9)

Bowser digs a hole!]
678D9211-D1BC-4D60-AAA9-543EE10D4D21_zpsn0jgpa8x.jpg

(A52F-0000-0032-57B5)

Mario, Jr and the magical door.
7EBB6672-08B1-4229-859B-E79B7FBDABED_zps8m7opuid.jpg

(F9DF-0000-0033-4AA1)

Kiro

Do you like Basketball???!!

Do You like Mario??

Well get ready... for SUPER MARIO BOMBSKET-BALL!!!

Can YOU be the super star and make the game winning shot at the buzzer?

Come try your luck at.. SUPER MARIO BOMBSKET-BALL!!!

Course ID: 5928-0000-003A-DD78

Please give me a star and a comment if you can! I would really appreciate any feedback!

Hahaha you hyped that. So I tried it. It's pretty fun. Good ramp of difficulty and the time makes it tense. Had 15 seconds to spare. Good level!!

You should try mine!

8D34-0000-003A-BE02

If you want a challenge :)

Teknoman

tekno, the stage left me a bit confused. so the first two attempts, i took the vine to the autoscroller part. in my third attempt, i just went straight and reached the exit in what felt like thirty seconds. i think the skull/bone motif is handled pretty well, but yeah, i would reconsider two things: the auto-scroller is way too slow, i would urge you to bump it up to medium. and secondly, there's no real reason for the player to engage with the detour involving the autoscroller if the main path is a lot faster and more straightforward. maybe swapping the two paths would solve that second conundrum.

Very nice level! The aesthetics are cool and the platforming is fun. I had a very silly death with a flying ? block that blocked my path. Many hidden secrets and alternate paths. Cool!

Hahaha Thwomps and helmets are cool. I got cocky and lost my helmet often though! Also had lots of fun finding the secret rooms and 1-ups. Very cool!

Yeah I waffled back and forth with the auto scroll speed, and it seemed like medium was abit too fast for the style. With the sub area, I kinda was going for something to make it where people could wrack up some extra lives for the 100 Mario challenge, but I'm not sure how important that would be depending on where it gets placed in rotation.

Yeah I noticed. As soon as I get
Yoshi & the Cape
it gets a lot easier (though still challenging). Haven't beaten it quite yet, but did Fav it so I can try later.

Yeah if you keep the items it does get plenty easier. I honestly didn't even know I could beat it with
Yoshi
still with me.

Gurrry

Hahaha you hyped that. So I tried it. It's pretty fun. Good ramp of difficulty and the time makes it tense. Had 15 seconds to spare. Good level!!

You should try mine!

8D34-0000-003A-BE02

Dude thank you so much! Ill go play your level right now! Im glad you liked it!! :)

God, you guys are posting so many fantastic levels. I have exams coming up so I can't play for a few days and I know I'm gonna miss out on so many levels. Wish there was a GAF community in the game to easily play all our levels.

Macheezmo

Here's my newest level:

WVW69iY4Mp4cFcRASz

Title: There and Back Again
Difficulty: Medium
Description: This time I took a concept I had (Get a shell and bring it back to progress) and started it off really easy and made it more and more difficult as it goes on, but I tried to still keep the difficulty reasonable. I also provide a mushroom every couple of rooms.
Secrets: There's a hidden pipe that leads to a secret area.
Code: 6407-0000-003A-E574

Gurrry

You should try mine!

8D34-0000-003A-BE02

Jesus christ, i suck so hard I couldnt even make it past that first set of jumps. I favorited it so I could practice and try later!

Kiro

Jesus christ, i suck so hard I couldnt even make it past that first set of jumps. I favorited it so I could practice and try later!

Hahaha ya I don't think anyone is going to be able to beat it and see the greatness that it is. How unfortunate. I gotta make easier levels. Thanks for playing it though :)

Top Bottom