• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

They REALLY need to make Gnat Attack easier. My arm gives out near the end every time, even when I take breaks. Jeez...

EDIT: Here's the list of levels I've created, in order:

Easy Does it
ID: 395F-0000-0012-8C2B

Where’s Yoshi?
ID: 2B78-0000-001B-369B

Big Baby
ID: 997D-0000-001F-0267

Dead Sea
ID: 2FA8-0000-0034-F726

I Wanna Be The Mario
ID: 4D94-0000-0040-E45B

The last one is BY FAR the hardest one, sitting at a Completion Rate of 0.26%. It is a quick test of skill and patience.

Finally beat I Wanna Be The Mario and I must say that was a challenge. I thought my courses were challenging, lol. Great course though, I didn't want to give up because I was almost there many times. That last section of jumps were definitely brutal.

Zebetite

Banned
i have a whole batch of levels i haven't shared with you guys yet so here you go

i've been trying to find a happy medium between making the levels i want to make and making the levels that will be enjoyed by the random people who play it. i'm not there yet, but that's been the general theme of all of these.

Crazy Castle's screenshot is useless so i won't post it. it's a fairly straightforward SMB1 castle level that has simultaneously been designed to be speedrunnable (can be finished in 20 seconds flat) if you ignore the way the level uses doors and instead make very specific running jumps (in fact, i've beaten the level without once letting go of either right or the run button). or you can just take it easy and play a simple castle level. whatever floats your boat! code: DEA0-0000-0040-4AB1

WVW69iZOUeogjsCE9N

Belly of the Beast is yet another castle level that was wholly inspired by a room in Lower Norfair in Super Metroid where there's Ridley's face has been carved into rock and you can enter the mouth to find a hidden area. the mouth in this case is not a hidden area, but rather the opening screen of a linear level. i wanted to focus on a few large, open areas that funnel into each other as opposed to a lot of corridors or a single big open area. code: 2BCF-0000-0044-5076

WVW69iZQPLMVRhHqVG

Tenement Terror is a ghost house level in SMB1 that I wanted to A) look cool because its a cool tileset and B) set up cute situations using p-switches to advance. i wanted the impression of very distinct "rooms" that you are moving between, like a house or a mansion or what have you. i tried to make spooky discordant music using note-blocks but was disappointed to find it cant be heard from offscreen, but kept it anyways, so that detracts from the level's aesthetic sadly. code: 82FD-0000-0045-0950

WVW69iZYIEUOCVJ1L_

Cold Crush is a sort of "ice cavern" level that I made in SMB3 because I hadn't fucked too much with Ice Blocks yet. it also uses a lot of thwomps because A) giant thwomps can break ice and B) interacting with thwomps while on ice makes them a bit more interesting. code: 7A10-0000-0048-0C6F

WVW69iZjSPoMMpcvm-

Vine Climb Canyon started its life as an attempt to find a way to make vines move, and then an attempt to build a level around that mechanic. it ends up being kind of auto-scroll-y as a result, which is a shame, so i added a few shortcuts that let you bypass most/all of it if you want to go hunting. the nice side-effect is that it is an autoscroller that allows me some control over the scrolling speed-- i can slow the horizontal progress of the vine by making it go up or down on a track rather than right. code: 574B-0000-004B-F5E7

Just going to share a couple of my levels:

The White Dimension (72FC-0000-0028-D4F2) (Difficulty: Normal)
Preset backgrounds are quite limiting. I wanted to make a different looking level, so I used objects and enemies of a single "color".

ny3HzDp.png

Do you know what I hated about this level?

It ENDED TOO FUCKING SOON :)

Great concept - such an original looking level, overcoming the limitations of the tileset. Plays well too. Starred.

BooJoh

Phew, I did it. Must have taken me 30-40 tries. I grabbed the POW block and stood in the exact position it was in just a few pixels from both the spikes and the fire bar. Was that what was intended or can you also immediately dash back out of there safely?
When I beat it for submission I stood where the POW block was. I'm not really sure if there's time to get back out. I was surprised to see someone had cleared it in the first night considering how many specific moves need to be pulled off involving the P-Switch.

Neoweee

I now have my second world available. At this point though, I am capped for uploads and I am only sitting at 23 stars. So please give this batch a try, if you like them, please star them. You can also try world one as well.

I've done all 8. Pretty good, most starred, aside from... 2-1. It is an interesting concept, but there's too many blind landings. It would be better if the subsequent landings were higher, and a wall placed at the end of the feather section so you are forced to land on the platform prior to the Thwomps.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
Ghost House
BD90-0000-004A-D937

WVW69iZgyOkWVNZe-f

King Boo's Castle has been well received so I thought I'd try another ghost level. Really went all out on this one. Branched paths that intersect each other several times and converge at the end of the level. There are 3 hidden 1-Up mushrooms for each path. Going to bed now. I'm exhausted. Let me know what you think.
Quoting this to unbury it. Posted in the wee hours.

tesqui

I don't own the game, but judging by videos, it seems that all the objects/ enemies(or most of them) in the New Super Mario theme look like they're very sharp 2D animations to create the illusion of 3D. Almost like a more advanced effect of original Donkey Kong Country. I was under the impression that the New Super Mario games (The Wii and Wii U one.) used actual 3D enemies/ objects on a 2D perspective. Kind of lame that they sort of downgraded the visuals for this.

edit: or maybe I'm just going crazy. I swear some of the enemies look 2D to me though.

Reposting my stages, they have hardly been played and I would love feedback!!!!

Maze of Madness
E692-0000-003E-60F1
Multiple paths to the exit, 3 hidden 1-ups and watch out for other hidden boxes for other goodies!

FZBIUCil.jpg

Wait for it!!
FB8F-0000-0049-23A0
This one I attempted to go for a more classic Mario feel. It has a hidden exit and 3 hidden 1-ups.

CLI4jafl.jpg

Thanks Kyzon for the stream. It was really fun to see some of the GAF levels being played and having the creator in chat to talk about it! Stars will be coming your way everyone once I get time to play!

XpopcornX

Banned
Made my first level, it isn't very hard. Feel free to play it and leave me feedback!

C2C9-0000-004C-66DA

Oh and it is called PK Fire! just to entice some interest.

Junahu

WVW69iZi1HkVo5NIP4

Keep springing! Jr has a plan? [04CC-0000-004B-C398]
A stupid gimmick stage. Didn't want to spoil the dumb surprise, so I made an separate, inaccessible section of level in order to have a nice auto-screenshot.

Alright Neogaf, I just uploaded a course. I spent more than 16 hours on this, so I'm going to be absolutely devastated if it doesn't get any plays. It's called:

FIRE BENEATH THE MUSHROOM FOREST
This is very much a classic Mario course. If you're looking for something that plays like it came from an actual Mario game, I really hope you'll try this level.

Course ID: E8BD-0000-004B-D274

Feedback, criticism, etc. is much appreciated, although please do remember to use spoiler tags. Thanks!
You weren't kidding. That was very professionally crafted, and I just had to download it for myself, it was just that incredible.
The only problems I have with it as a real Mario stage, are
that complete non-sequitur of a sub-level, and a flag sequence that incorporates nothing of the stage's gimmicks. You could certainly use a regular bonus room during the main stage, rather than an entire sub-level tacked onto the end of it.

Also, the stage is lacking coins... I think? Not sure if a stage like this needs many coins

So I finally finished up my SMB3 Ghost House level. I've spend way, way too much time creating this level. It's probably one of my densest levels yet (I actually ran out of items and blocks for the warp section of the map) and it has a bunch of alternate paths. One section that I'm quite fond of in particular can be easily missed. So please check it out and try to hit up as many paths as you can. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Did I put in too many mushroom, or too few? Too many enemies, or is the level not challenging enough? Any sections not working for you? Let me know!

Dark Paths, Cold Nights

1D8B-0000-004A-D321
Para-koopas and Para-drybones track your vertical position, rather than just flying up and down from where they're placed. This makes one of the routes at the very end incredibly annoying. If you come from the buzz-saw/falling platform room, the giant-para-drybones fly up and immediately block the upper path. They can't be killed, so you have to absorb a hit and squeeze through.

That's the only issue I had playing through this level. It otherwise played incredibly smoothly.
You have a good eye for screen-space; there were a number of times where, if the enemies were just a single tile lower, I would have had to make a leap of faith. I also really liked how the vines were in aesthetically pleasing places, but they all had a reason to be there, gameplay-wise. It made one of the secrets very enjoyable to discover.

Hi everyone!

First time posting in the OT. I just finished a level I'd like to share with you guys. Comments are more than welcome. :p
Bowser's Assembly Plant
6F1B-0000-004B-CC79

I tried to make it challenging without relying on cheap tactics.
I really enjoyed the theme of this level, and it made for some cool set-pieces; like the
Goomba production-line
The boss was a bit tough to figure out;
the blocks made it seem like I needed to get Bowser down there to break them, but it turned out I was just supposed to kill him and find the P-switch.
You were also generous to a fault with the power-ups; The leaf seemed rather redundant, given that there was little to use it for before being required to grab the flower.

1up

Well, first try at this. Definitely not perfect, in more than a few ways.

However, here it is: 1ADC-0000-004C-5296

Couldnt get past the 2nd part of your level. Seems a pow block hits the p blocks and messes everything up.

Also played

It was really nice looking but very very quick. Great look but no substance.

I will be streaming more levels in 30 mins.

Tanwo

Hi! I just uploaded my first level. As I’ve been replaying the original SMB lately, I wanted to create something that could fit in the game.

WVW69iZjQykvSbp2i8

World X-1
357F-0000-004B-F364

I would love to hear what you think about it!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Made my first Water Level...rather than going for game-play, I went for atmosphere and it's a pretty tranquil level...although perhaps that's how Water Levels should be? Only difficult part is right at the beginning, and the rest is smooth sailing---

The Tale of Urashima Mario
mvFCA6l.jpg

2E36-0000-004C-65C0

One day, Urashima Mario comes across a giant sea turtle wearing a palace guard's helmet. "Follow me", the giant turtle told Mario as it lept into the sea. Steadily swimming after the giant turtle, Mario came across an amazing undersea palace known as the "Dragon Palace", where the four seasons---Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall---co-existed peacefully! Take a tour through the Dragon Palace and take in the beautiful, underwater sights!

Thud

Made my first Water Level...rather than going for game-play, I went for atmosphere and it's a pretty tranquil level...although perhaps that's how Water Levels should be? Only difficult part is right at the beginning, and the rest is smooth sailing---

mvFCA6l.jpg

2E36-0000-004C-65C0

One day, Urashima Mario comes across a giant sea turtle wearing a palace guard's helmet. "Follow me", the giant turtle told Mario as it lept into the sea. Steadily swimming after the giant turtle, Mario came across an amazing undersea palace known as the "Dragon Palace", where the four seasons---Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall---co-existed peacefully! Take a tour through the Dragon Palace and take in the beautiful, underwater sights!

Gonna play this one next. Fan of Urashima adaptions :p.

Edit: Aw geez, could have merged my posts.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Thanks for watching!

Thanks everyone for watching. I had fun. GAF levels are so good!

Thanks for playing my levels today ! I'm ShibaFan in Twitch chat ;) Really enjoyed your stream and I only wish I'm good enough in Mario to be able to attempt your levels :(

Jaymageck

Guys: Is there an easy way I can share screenshots from my levels without some outdated capture setup or something? I'd rather not be taking cellphone pictures of my screen.

One of my favourite levels of the ones I've made so far, but was still on a limited toolset (unlocking and what not).

Thwomp-note Castle
CF04-0000-004C-418C

Guys: Is there an easy way I can share screenshots from my levels without some outdated capture setup or something? I'd rather not be taking cellphone pictures of my screen.

1. Go to a place you want to screenshot
2. Hit the Home button on the GamePad
3. Open the Internet Browser
4. Go to abload.de or imgur.com
5. Choose to upload "From Computer" if on Imgur
6. Select the screen you want to upload from (TV screen for high-res)
7. Upload
8. Bam! You're done!

Jobbs

Banned
Just going to share a couple of my levels:

Preset backgrounds are quite limiting. I wanted to make a different looking level, so I used objects and enemies of a single "color".

ny3HzDp.png

Chain Chomp Factory (5009-0000-0030-704B) (Difficulty: Normal-Hard)
I experimented with enemy combinations and SMW tilesets in this. Putting Chain Chomps on tracks is the funniest thing ever.

0rhs4Dt.png

How do you turn everything white? the background, I mean?

Kyzon

It was a lot of fun, some really great levels on there. GAF makes a lot of good, non-troll levels. Very nice.

Truly some amazing level design. I'm surprised that there were no bad levels!

Thanks for playing my levels today ! I'm ShibaFan in Twitch chat ;) Really enjoyed your stream and I only wish I'm good enough in Mario to be able to attempt your levels :(

XD The second level should be doable. The shortcut being there makes a lot of other parts very doable. The first one though.... Good luck!

xglaurungx88

Neo Member

mvFCA6l.jpg

2E36-0000-004C-65C0

Great job adapting the story! Was a beautiful level. Only complaints were the very beginning being a little brutal. That autoscroll was kind of fast. Starred.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think that's one of the SEMI-SOLID PLATFORMS of the Mario 3 1-1 Style.

But damn, I wish I thought about doing that.

R00bot

My newest level, MineShaft.

C041-0000-0049-EE00

WVW69iZePRsV5-6K50

Explore the mine shaft, fight off the goombas, claim the mine as your own. Will you make it out alive? (probably it's not that hard)

Kyzon

Hahaha enjoyed seeing you playing my level... and the three paths!!! Props to you Kyzon ;D Do you have the same username on Miiverse? Just so I can look up your name and follow you on Mario Maker to see your stages.

A lot of very good stages from GAF... laughing my ass off with the "My Little Yoshi" stage hahaha

Haha the stages were so good. It's unbelievable. The yoshi one was hilarious XD

I'm Kyzon_Xin on Miiverse though :)

I would but my gauntlet kills :(

I'd like to try whatever you have next time.
Darn, if only I hadn't been at work, have an auto scrolling Gradius tribute stage I would love to have submitted.

I'd love to do it next stream

Thanks for playing my level, Kyzon! I liked your commentary throughout the stream, and there were a few little areas for improvement I noticed while watching you play. Will definitely be watching you stream again.

Thanks for stopping by. Glad to play the expert levels.

My platforming skills will be the best in the world from you guys, haha

Top Bottom