• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Danielsan

Para-koopas and Para-drybones track your vertical position, rather than just flying up and down from where they're placed. This makes one of the routes at the very end incredibly annoying. If you come from the buzz-saw/falling platform room, the giant-para-drybones fly up and immediately block the upper path. They can't be killed, so you have to absorb a hit and squeeze through.

That's the only issue I had playing through this level. It otherwise played incredibly smoothly.
You have a good eye for screen-space; there were a number of times where, if the enemies were just a single tile lower, I would have had to make a leap of faith. I also really liked how the vines were in aesthetically pleasing places, but they all had a reason to be there, gameplay-wise. It made one of the secrets very enjoyable to discover.
Thanks for the feedback Junahu. I only noticed the issue with the Para-koopas after I had uploaded the level. I've just made some changes to the level based on this issue, as well as some other minor tweaks that improve the presentation.

Aj71wE4.png

Dark Paths, Cold Nights

(01C9-0000-004C-952B)

So I've been pondering and messing about with a new level for a while know, but I haven't managed to quite figure out what's missing from my last level to improve upon and there was some stuff I spent a fair amount of time on, that no one seemed to notice or care about. So with that in mind if anyone could give
WVW69iZUzpotrUdfEl

Feelin' Hot! Hot! Hot!
(5433-0000-0046-88AB)
A whirl, I'd greatly appreciate it

Along with any thoughts you wanna share I mainly want to know a couple of things
How's the pacing ? How's the progression of ideas and difficulty ?
The koopa shell kicking stuff, I spent a while trying to make sure it was intuitive and rewarding but not TOO rewarding. Is it fun, like at all ? Does it make nice down time ?
And did anyone notice I tired to colour code the flames ?

I appreciate I'm asking abit much here, feel free to disregard all of this if you wish, but I would appreciate any feedback here

Dyle

Hello everyone. After getting the game four days late, damn you Amazon, and not having internet for another 3, damn you faulty routers, I've finally been able to upload a level.

WVW69iZk3ek9e2jYxd

Footholds Fleeing From Firebars, ID: E498-0000-004C-9B35

I tried to make it somewhat difficult but fair, applying the methods Nintendo used in 3D World of introducing an idea, taking the training wheels off, challenging it, and providing a final twist. There are 3 1-ups to find and many different paths. Please give it a shot!

I'm watching you 1up so I'd be super cool if you played my level

Big One

Banned
Been playing Super Mario Advance lately via the Wii U. Ugh I want SMB2 stuff so bad, so much unique levels could be made.

Just the mechanics alone would warrant their usage. Having to grab Goombas and Koopa Troopa instead of killing them by jumping on them would be sweet for example and lead to some interesting level design.

correojon

Played it, liked it and starred it! I really liked how you introduced the difficulty progressively. I was very easy for me and a bit too forgiving. You can skip all the challenge if you want so I didn't feel very rewarded. As a result of the sub screen being used for the bonus rooms , the main challenge feels a bit short. The secrets are a bit useless in SMM in general. But I followed you. I would like to this "gimmick" expanded.
Thanks for the comments and the star ;) I will have that in mind when doing Circular Platforms 3, I tried to tone down the difficulty but it seems I overdid it. I´ll use a different approach from now on.

I agree with your comments, I will rework 1-1. I'm starting to notice the -30% difficulty rule is quite true.
About the mushroom, it would allow you to skip the puzzles :)
Thanks for your input!
Oh right, anyway, the tension really added something to the level and made the run to the goal even better.

A few impressions, but first, since a lot of you slept through this going live last night, my latest: Caramel Cliffs!

WVW69iZb3P0Y5Frhuy

F7F6-0000-0049-5E19

I've seen enough people on 100-Mario Challenge trying and failing to do a vertical level and I thought, I could do better! Tried to make this a bit harder than my other levels -- I picked up a Super Mario World Special levels vibe and kinda ran with it, difficulty included. I hope you all enjoy!
This is good, the level was challenging and fair. My only complaint is that once I died because of the camera wasn´t showing the top of the screen where some spikes were and I jumped too high. Sometimes placing an object there (question block or coins usually work) can push the camera in their direction so you can control what the player sees to some degree.
Also, the spiky bug near the goal almost gave me a heart attack, I was jumping around dicking with the coins and almost fell on top of him...what did you put it there for? It would´ve been really frustrating dying there.

I died another time because I rushed down once and fell in a cliff, but it was totally my fault for ignoring the path the coins were clearly showing.
Even after dying twice I had no problem replaying the level because it was fun, challenging and fair. You did a great work.

Good! You introduce the platforms well. Two points: One, I'd have the exit pipe for the subarea end much higher. It's too easy to go in the other end, and the pipe is pretty long, so I'd shorten it so people can't go in the wrong end. The other point is you probably have one mushroom too many. Your level is fair and has very few enemies, so the only reason someone will take a hit is if they don't understand how the platforms work or they are being careless -- you don't want to reward either!

Two minor points. I definitely would recommend the stage.
Thanks! Good catch on the pipe, I´ll be more careful with things like that from now on. About the mushrooms, it seems I was too overprotective of the player, I´m thinking of a different approach for the next level: if the player fails a jump he won´t die, but he´ll fall to the ground and he won´t be able to retake the main path and instead will have to take a path that presents the same challenges slightly modified, so he has another chance to learn the necessary skills for the level before getting to the harder stuff. If he succeeds however, he will have access to an area with harder challenges, but with a powerup that will allow him to open new paths later in the level. So the level will have 2 paths, hard and easy, which will merge and divide throughout the level. Also, there will be a sort of Metroid evolution where, if the player constantly succeeds in the harder challenges he will get a new powerup that will allow a later unlock of another secret area. That in turn will give access to another powerup and so on. I think this will add depth to the level and replayability, provide an easier path for the less skilled players and a real challenge for pros :)

I´ll leave here my level again, it seems to be getting a very good reception:
This is my latest level, an expansion on circular platforms. I used few elements, but combined them in different ways to create new situations. There are some challenging jumps, but nothing too crazy and everything is introduced one step at a time. The level is slowly paced with rewarding moments between the different challenges. There are 3 secondary areas with cool rewards that can help you bypass the most difficult spots and in some points there is more than one way to take, so even though the level is mostly built around around platforming, there is some exploration in it too.
No instant deaths, crazy bosses or random chaos in this level :)
FEjni6z.png

Please let me know your opinion!

NeonZ

You guys have to play this level. It's basically a Zelda dungeon in a Mario game. Really makes you think about the level and opening new paths. The guy who created this sure put a lot of work into it.

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/255/legend-of-link-forest-shrine

The optional bit
with Ganondorf
almost made me lose due to time out, but I still finished with 2 seconds remaining. Anyway, it has pretty neat use of bombs and elevators too. It'd be easier with the SMB3 theme, since you'd be able to hold them but I like the Amiibo skins, so I'm happy it was created with the SMB theme in mind unlike most of the other exploration/puzzle heavy levels I've played.

Kebiinu

Banned
You made an autoscrolling underwater stage work. Impressive. Not quite the style I was going for, but I might want to use the wall of fish technique you did.

Water levels are hard...

Mmm, I saw you post your new stage a page or two ago! I'm going to check it out. But I'm really glad you enjoyed the stage.

I didn't have too hard of a time making it, however, I ran into limitations with the pipes and had to figure out some workarounds. I'm pleased as to how it turned out

Coral* Assembly!

Good level :D

Let me live, lol. Maybe I should have went with Coral Forest.

Reposting for those interested in a solid water level.

Kelp Assembly!
CXhQhcd.jpg
PH7obYp.jpg

Stage ID: B281-0000-003A-FB76
A linear pipe foreshadows your route as you make your way through this autoscrolling water stage. Despite the implied pace, don't panic; just keep swimming!

Thanks for the love, guys! I'll be sure to check out your stages when I get home.

Wow! You did my level! Awesome - thanks man! You also exposed a flaw.

The idea was that you had to have Yoshi to get the P capsule, hence you'd have to go all the way to the right, get Yoshi and then backtrack. I completely overlooked the fact that you could duck in and grab the switch. The dumb music/power up room was supposed to be a silly reward for taking Yoshi back.

So, need to figure out a way that you NEED to be Yoshi to get the P-Switch.

Thanks again!

Boogiepop

Couldnt get past the 2nd part of your level. Seems a pow block hits the p blocks and messes everything up.

It's actually just the P-blocks being kind of finicky, which is one of the things I was not too satisfied with it. The pacing's a little tricky with it, but you can absolutely jump them.

The other dissatisfaction with the p-blocks other than making them seem messy/making deaths feel kind of awkward:
you can actually totally cheat the level if you mess up. Hitting one P-block isn't always death, and if you wait it out, then get the coins and go back for another P, you can get through without doing it "right"

The other issue:
You can totally still somehow jump and like stop the rebounding shell. It's finicky and weird, but you're absolutely not locked such that if it's coming at you and you have no space you WILL die. Which is a shame.

So yeah, I'm going to put some more thought into it and probably tackle the idea fresh at some point, as I like the idea of locking you in and playing with that, but I don't think my execution nailed it.

tuffy

After a few days of intermittent work, I've come up with the Lonely Odyssey:

B33D-0000-004C-B847

It's a level with no enemies or hazards of any kind, but features a lot of reasonably precise jumps over bottomless pits. It's also extremely long but built so that the player can keep up a full speed run for the duration.

Ramsiege

My newest level, MineShaft.

C041-0000-0049-EE00

WVW69iZePRsV5-6K50

Explore the mine shaft, fight off the goombas, claim the mine as your own. Will you make it out alive? (probably it's not that hard)
Good level I enjoyed it and gave you a star. I died a few times at the end with the buzz saws, but nothing that felt cheap.

Oli

I sort of recreated 1-1 from Mario 2 USA if anyone wants to check it out:

D2C3-0000-004C-7CCA

I had to leave out some chunks cause I ran out of room, especially the climbing section near the end.

I went back and enhanced my first course with a brand new underground area and a few other touches. Just like before, it's a NSMB course that offers multiple routes and oldschool gameplay.

Welcome to the Jungle (EFE7-0000-004B-91A7)
mXQJk47.jpg

RY3pPlU.png

Thanks in advance to anyone who plays it. I'd love to hear your feedback!

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
This is my second level. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Screen_Shot_2015_09_19_at_10_48_14_am.png

F441-0000-0041-8AB1

Yeah... I couldn't think of a good name.

tuffy

Oh, and I've also whipped up a mirror image of Super Mario Bros. 1-2 with a punny name:

5685-0000-0030-E856

It's not a perfect copy since getting endless lifts to work is tricky and the warp room wouldn't work at all, but it seemed good enough to get the point across.

koam

Good level, gave it a star. Some well positioned enemies, challenging enough for decent players yet friendly enough that my wife even enjoyed it. The drop for the coins at the end though is bad placement. Not only is the jump too hard, but it makes it impossible to get to the top of the flag for that perfect run.

Made my 3rd level:

Come back Yoshi!
D39D-0000-0048-BDC7

Thought I'd give players an easier time after beating them up with my last level, but still make them feel like they've been on an adventure.

Thanks for the feedback, you're absolutely right, those coins need to be on top of the platforms near the end.

Meohsix

It's far from original and not very hard, But I crammed most of SMB world 1 into one level.

World ♥ 1
7E0F-0000-004C-D852
Give it a try if you have nothing better to do.

Ramsiege

I sort of recreated 1-1 from Mario 2 USA if anyone wants to check it out:

D2C3-0000-004C-7CCA

I had to leave out some chunks cause I ran out of room, especially the climbing section near the end.

Nice homage to Mario 2, though the ending, through no fault of your own since you ran out of space, felt a little lacking and ended abruptly. But maybe that's just more to do with my familiarity with the original level than it is with anything you did.

Thanks for the good feedback :)
I might make a sequel to The White Dimension.

Awesome idea, it looks like a Mario Sketchpad or something like that. Only one thing to add is that the first white room has some blind drops into spikes that can feel a bit unfair, but otherwise a solid level with a solid idea.
Sorry, I didn't mean it to be blind. The spikes should be visible from here:

How do you turn everything white? the background, I mean?
I used SMB3's white boxes to cover the entire level.

Gsnap

Thanks for the feedback Gsnap. I get what you mean. The path with the P-switch is completely optional though. Getting rid of the magikoopas is very much key, otherwise they really turn out to be a nuisance. I'll definitely take your feedback into consideration though!

Ah well. Like I said, I haven't beaten it yet, so if that area isn't mandatory then maybe it's ok.

But then again, there's so many ways to go that there's no telling what's mandatory or what isn't. But that's good for a level like this.

Please give me stars for my dumb/troll level GAF.

Thanks.

Bowsers Evil Experiment
Difficulty: Non-Existent

Code: 89DC-0000-004C-E8C0

The evil supervillan Bowser conducts vile undersea experiments on Mario

paA2SHx.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Goomba's Spelunking Boots
F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Youtube playthrough (secret areas are spoiled)

For this one, I made an attempt at creating a somewhat "genuine" SMB3 stage, with easy to moderate difficulty and based around a single game attribute (Goomba's Shoe). It's fairly larger than your standard SMB3 course, but I think it mostly meets the goal.

I originally wanted to make the underground area roughly twice as large, with more challenge rooms and secrets to uncover. However, I hit the block limit and had to cut things short. I could have added more areas by hollowing out the walls and using single-tile borders for all the rooms, but I felt that that would have ruined the aesthetic.

Previous stages:

Board the Airship

Thanks for the comments left on the first stage. I don't think I'll meticulously revise and reupload any stages unless they're outright broken, but every bit of advice helps for future efforts.

Theorymon

I made two more stages of note!

The first one is a remake of a SMB3 ice level that was cut. It's plain and not really spectacular, but I thought it was a cool piece of Mario history to revive! (Expect more where that came from, stay tuned hehehehe). I also made it Ghost House themed since I like the idea of an unused level on an SMB3 cart becoming haunted from disuse.

Unused SMB3 Ice Level Remix BE05-0000-003B-9829

WVW69iY5YMEHPdjPqa

I also made my first Water Level, I based it around the idea of holding a P-switch, since I find the swimming controls to be faster and smoother when you're holding something. Also, yes the Propeller Mushroom is there for a reason: I want to give people 3 hits till they go down, but I don't want them killing stuff with the Fire Flower either! Also, this may be a fairly challenging level, just a warning! I actually toned it down a bit because I was worried people would give up if they only had Small Mario tbh..

P-Switch Holding Olympic Swim! D82F-0000-004C-EB1E

WVW69iZlo144oQwVTT

Don't expect either of these to top that Goomba level I made, but tell me what you think!

Ramsiege

It's far from original and not very hard, But I crammed most of SMB world 1 into one level.

World ♥ 1
7E0F-0000-004C-D852
Give it a try if you have nothing better to do.

Fun level. The only issue I would say is when you get to the 1-3 part of the level the top ceiling makes it hard to make some of the jumps.

I'm happy you played my level, even if it was only for a little bit.

If anyone dares to try and conquer it, be my guest:

I Wanna Be The Mario
4D94-0000-0040-E45B

I couldn't get the timing down for the jumps. A little too unforgiving for my liking.

Wanna stream one of my levels?

Fire Emblem: Cave of the Dragon
(4460-0000-003E-554A)

I have 10 others on my profile that are supposed to be a standard Nintendo style level with progressive difficulty.

Nice level, if a bit short.

You weren't kidding. That was very professionally crafted, and I just had to download it for myself, it was just that incredible.
The only problems I have with it as a real Mario stage, are
that complete non-sequitur of a sub-level, and a flag sequence that incorporates nothing of the stage's gimmicks. You could certainly use a regular bonus room during the main stage, rather than an entire sub-level tacked onto the end of it.

Also, the stage is lacking coins... I think? Not sure if a stage like this needs many coins

Yeah, there aren't any coins. You can't really hide secrets in an autoscrolling stage, and just strewing coins about seemed... pointless... since 1ups don't really matter in Mario Maker. Back when I used Lunar Magic (Super Mario World Level editor), I'd sometimes use coins to lead a path, but it wasn't necessary here.

The ending was intended to play like a separate level. Individual, gimmick free Mario levels are pretty short, so I wanted to lead players through two areas, so that the overall experience would feel substantial. I hadn't expected it to be off-putting... I guess it's something I'll know to avoid in the future.

So glad you enjoyed it, thanks!

Thud

I'll be streaming user-submitted levels again at about 10PM Eastern (one hour from now). Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

In the meantime, you could also give my second stage a try:

Goomba's Spelunking Boots
F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Last Hours (Dawn of a New Day)
2BBD-0000-003F-47B9

Need some input on this one, because I want to remix it in SMB3 style.

jholmes

Maybe do Caramel Cliffs? It's getting rave reviews! OK, only one review. Whatever.

F7F6-0000-0049-5E19

This is good, the level was challenging and fair. My only complaint is that once I died because of the camera wasn´t showing the top of the screen where some spikes were and I jumped too high. Sometimes placing an object there (question block or coins usually work) can push the camera in their direction so you can control what the player sees to some degree.
Also, the spiky bug near the goal almost gave me a heart attack, I was jumping around dicking with the coins and almost fell on top of him...what did you put it there for? It would´ve been really frustrating dying there.

Doing a spin jump off him is the only way to get a 1-up on the flag pole. I was thinking the forced spin jump on spinies earlier would make that a little more obvious.

Top Bottom