• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

maxcriden

Very cool, isn't it?

I don't want to start a new thread because I don't even own the game, so I don't want to manage a thread, but if anyone thinks it's worth it, feel free to do it. Or maybe this could be added to the OT?

By the way, nice OT, daydream!

It is really rad. I love the idea of it, and it seems super easy to use.

Ninja Dom

A September Stroll, I'm very happy with this.

50EB-0000-0015-2691

Guys, I'm on version 1.01 but I have nothing unlocked. Only the first set of tools. No messages about any unlocks or nothing, and I've been playing for nearly 5 hours straight!! What's going on??

Wow I feel like an idiot. I was just about to complain about how the unlocking of new parts is still too slow and how I've been waiting for about two hours for the underwater set. Then I decided to place an as of then unused one up mushroom and just like that, the next shipment arrived! Now that I know I have to use each item at least once to quickly get new parts, I think I'm going to enjoy this game a lot more lol.

Forkball

So I've played around with it for a few hours. I actually haven't spent time making a course, but I've unlocked all the items and played about two or three dozen levels.

I must admit that I am completely blown away by how creative and well-thought out many levels are. There are already a few creators who are becoming notable for their innovative levels. It actually kind of discourages me from making any because they are so good. The Miiverse comments on stages can be distracting, but many of them are absolutely hilarious (though is there any way to turn them off?).

I wish there was a way to search for our friends' levels though. I'm surprised that's not in the game. Seems like a fairly obvious oversight.

And is 100 Mario Challenge the only way to unlock amiibo skins? Outside of the amiibo I own, I only got Waluigi after clearing the 100 Mario Challenge. Save me RNGesus!

Anteo

50EB-0000-0015-2691

Guys, I'm on version 1.01 but I have nothing unlocked. Only the first set of tools. No messages about any unlocks or nothing, and I've been playing for nearly 5 hours straight!! What's going on??

You need to use combinations of items. Try putting some goombas inside questions blocks and the like

daakusedo

E0E5 0000 0021 8F22
Koopa utile

It's about blocks and flying koopas platforming with shell throwing in between.
By the way, there's a bit of room during jumps and it's not aways about jump limit, so sometimes you have to measure out.
Best played going non stop!

B_Bech

Just tried my hand at a medium to hard difficulty course. I'd like some feedback, GAF. It's called Paragoomba Pipe Palace.

8349-0000-0015-4B01

cronos_qc

Neo Member
I'm hesitant to buy the games.

Do you recommend it? How is the level editor?

How is the online? Is it easy to upload our own level? Can we search for user created level? Can we rate user created level?

I'm hesitant to buy the games.

Do you recommend it? How is the level editor?

How is the online? Is it easy to upload our own level? Can we search for user created level? Can we rate user created level?

The level editor is incredibly good. The UI is pretty much perfect. It is unfortunately missing a fair number of things, but what is there is great.

Uploading your levels is easy. You just have to beat it yourself first to prove it's possible. Searching is a bit lackluster currently. You can star levels you like.

clav

Alright GAF this is me putting a little more effort while still getting used to what I'm actually doing here. I call it:

"So you think you can Mario?": D275 0000 0013 6CC1

Hey thanks for playing my course. Any feedback on it? I saw you tried 14 times.

6890-0000-0013-5C8A

"The commute to home."

edit: Just tried yours and cleared it. Eh, I think it would work better as a SMW or SMBU palette. Flying cloud courses should not be done SMB1 style as the screen in the oldest game didn't screen pan around like that.

IceMarker

Heading out to Best Buy to pick up my order in just over an hour! If anyone wants to add me on the Wii U add NNID: IceMarker! I'll be glad to share and play creations!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
How do you get cannons to fire coins?

Can't seem to drag and drop them into the cannon---

Made my first level too, titled 'Take me with you'.

It's very basic but had really fun creating it.

1EC9-0000-0015-5CD0

Really hope at least one of you will try it.

I still have a few more days worth of unlocking to go. So, it's going to be a bit of a grind before I attempt my first real level. Is there a prompt when you unlock all of the pieces? Does it say something like, "Hey! You've unlocked everything! Now go and build something amazing!"

Made my first level too, titled 'Take me with you'.

It's very basic but had really fun creating it.

1EC9-0000-0015-5CD0

Really hope at least one of you will try it.

Will give it a shot.

Noticed 4 people tried my course, but it only have a 20.00% clear rate. Would somebody be willing to test it out and tell me where they die the most?

CA6A-0000-0012-5233

mrklaw

MrArseFace

50EB-0000-0015-2691

Put all items on screen so they've all been used once, then after a few mins it should tell you about a new delivery coming soon. Then just switch to a background block and fill in the level - lorry seems to come after a certain number of blocks. should take no more than a minute or two.

Then when the lorry arrives, do the same again

lt519

v7Snuwr.png

Being at work is going to be painful

clav

Put all items on screen so they've all been used once, then after a few mins it should tell you about a new delivery coming soon. Then just switch to a background block and fill in the level - lorry seems to come after a certain number of blocks. should take no more than a minute or two.

OP needs to put this in bold.

Just got this and I'm having so much fun messing around...

But seriously, some of the levels that are being uploaded.

This isn't Dark Souls people :p

maxcriden

You'll probably get it tomorrow. Yes, they generally have very good shipping but the only real guarantee from Amazon is they'll make it right if you don't.

Anyways, I have the day off and a 100% chance of playing a physical copy which I'll be playing all day. :) I will say though, I was actually tempted to go digital this time. Oh well, time to chill with a gin and tonic and an episode of MST3K before bed.

My experience with Amazon is similar. With games they're not always the best at fulfilling release day delivery, but as long as you contact them a day or two beforehand, they can usually fix it for you, and if they do deliver it after release date and you contact them politely, I think they will usually give you a credit or something.

Protome

It's a shame the level sharing systems seem so limited. Hopefully, like Splatoon, they patch in some friend connectivity and such.

Jucksalbe

Banned
My first course ID: 7743-0000-0015-7FC9.
Pretty short and I still only have the first tools available, but I tried to at least give some room for failure.

(I want to finally be able to make SMW levels!!)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Third level uploaded
"Una breve ma intensa nuotata"
ID: 7150D-0000-0014-BE0A

Again, I hope you leave comments here or on Miiverse about the levels I make: I really want to hear your opinion about them, so I can improve my level-making skills.

daydream

Banned
I made my second level, again, trying to make it as 'official' looking as possible. This is about Easy to Medium difficulty I would say, with a bunch of shortcuts and tricks to give it some replayability.

Vanilla Caves - 8376 - 0000 - 0015 - 1BA5

Feedback appreciated!

you could maybe tighten up the timing on the fire poles and the end of the level was a bit weird (what was the star for when the goal was in reach?) but it was pretty fun overall!

50EB-0000-0015-2691

fun little level! just one remark: the mushroom that's in the ? block under a block that only big mario can break doesn't really make much sense, haha. maybe put a fire flower in there or a 1-up :)

4AF3 0000 0015 377C
Koopa utile

It's about blocks and flying koopas platforming with shell throwing in between.
By the way, there's a bit of room during jumps and it's not aways about jump limit, so sometimes you have to measure out.
Best played going non stop!

i'm super patient and would have played on till i beat it but since the stages are flowing in, i stopped after ~60 tries. i don't think the stage quite works for me. i like the idea of spacing out the blocks in a non-maximised fashion but the timing of the koopas is just off sometimes, and when they're too high or too low, there's not really much you can do.

I'm sitting at work thinking of some level designs. I can't wait to get home and try them. I hope they're as cool in practice as they are on paper!

Mik2121

you could maybe tighten up the timing on the fire poles and the end of the level was a bit weird (what was the star for when the goal was in reach?) but it was pretty fun overall!
Thanks. I wasn't sure about the fire poles but with this comment, yeah, I guess I'll fix them! As for the end, yeah, it was weird but it's just meant to fuck with the people that ignores the arrow and tries to catch the star and potentially falls down. But I guess if you can pick it, it's kind of... meaningless.

I wonder if I can modify he level and re upload it as the same level with the same amount of plays and whatnot as the original?

Forkball

If you put springs behind the flag pole in the NSMB theme, Mario will just bounce off of the screen. I laughed the first time I saw it.

fernoca

Tried my luck with 100-Mario Challenge before work..and was lucky enough that the 8 levels were like a rain of invisible stars and the Bowser stage was him stomping the ground and drowning in lava. Unlocked Ashley's costume! :p

Cindro

$160 just spent on all the new amiibos + Super Mario Maker ;_; Won't be able to play until after work tonight, but then I have the whole weekend off. Can't wait!

Can you upload levels with Amiibo costumes in them? I sure hope so.

So... I was playing around in the editor in 1.01 and I got an update saying more items will arrive on Saturday. Anyone else getting that message?

fernoca

did the update come up for you guys?
Yep, live since midnight.

$160 just spent on all the new amiibos + Super Mario Maker ;_; Won't be able to play until after work tonight, but then I have the whole weekend off. Can't wait!

Can you upload levels with Amiibo costumes in them? I sure hope so.
Yeah, anyone can play with them.
So... I was playing around in the editor in 1.01 and I got an update saying more items will arrive on Saturday. Anyone else getting that message?
You still get the message, just keep creating and using everything new once. Everything will unlock in under an hour.

dickroach

I just had a neat idea; would a level like this be possible??

Lemmings
You gotta get a few mushrooms out of question blocks, but you need to get them to follow you to the flagpole (allowing them to pass through obstacles like blocks that can be turned into coins & falling and spinny platforms). The point is to get all of the mushrooms to follow you to the end, and you can force the player to do this by making the final section one long road of spikes that's exactly 4-5-whatever brief-invicibility-after-a-hit lengths long.

...I dunno. it'd be cool to see some straight up Lemmings-ish levels made in this, though.
gonna pick up the game later today. stoked.

Chebico

Neo Member
I made my second level, again, trying to make it as 'official' looking as possible. This is about Easy to Medium difficulty I would say, with a bunch of shortcuts and tricks to give it some replayability.

Vanilla Caves - 8376 - 0000 - 0015 - 1BA5

Feedback appreciated!

Decent and found secret door :)

Ninja Dom

fun little level! just one remark: the mushroom that's in the ? block under a block that only big mario can break doesn't really make much sense, haha. maybe put a fire flower in there or a 1-up :)

Ah thanks for the feedback!! ����

Cool, will give that a go.

Xenoboy

So I just finished my first 100 Mario Challenge... I am not really good at these games :/

Now I'm going to try out some Gaf levels and high star levels. I'll look into making my own maybe later or tomorrow :p

Edit:
What do you guysthink about that 1st star ranked level?

Top Bottom