• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

B_Bech

http://kotaku.com/players-are-bending-and-breaking-mario-maker-and-the-r-1737615599

Ragnarok X, Sporky... We Kotaku famous now! How's the stage making going everyone? Got back from a little vacation and I'm ready to start blasting out stages and playing this amazing GAF backlog. You guys make any amazing, must play levels I missed in the past two weeks?

Oh, and I finally got all the medals! Time to fight the Elite Four.

WVW69ifoNVMvQzsoij

Made a stage that might be challenging (it was the hardest one for me to personally finish before uploading.) Mad half of it while watching the second Giant Bomb MM video, so there's probably some obvious (and slightly less obvious) inspiration.

The Ballad of Buzzy and Bob-omb
FF9D-0000-00B5-1FAC

Tregard

Soothsayer
Just uploaded my first level proper, if anyone wants to try it and give me some feedback I'd be very grateful

Bit Rot

C749-0000-00B8-991C

So I decided that having a level called "Dungeons & Dragons" would be funny because that's what every Bowser Castle basically is. I ended up basing an entire level around the idea of starting off at a store to purchase some gear, then starting off fighting some goblins or whatever in the wilderness, have an ogre there, climb some vines (gotta have vines) while weird plant life tries to kill you, then finally enter a fortress where dragons and lizard creatures possibly related to dragons along with some undead reside.

Went for both a sense of progression both in powerups and escalating enemy presence. Also went for something.. interesting I should say, with how you navigate a large part of the level.

---

Due to D&D being a copyrighted name, I am calling the level...

Castles & Koopas

Supplementary Promotional Artwork

suhcwrc.jpg

(133B-0000-00B8-DCE0)

Realyn

I also just finished my first level. It's mostly jumping without any real enemies and a bit on the difficult side.

Realyn Work In Progress #1
32B4-0000-00B8-E965

Would love some feedback, especially for the start and on finding your way to Bowser.

correojon

New course!
RtDL6: Goomba´s Quantic Prison said:
LASUJWC.png

Oh no! Yoshi´s been captured! The evil Dr. Goomba has taken him to his Quantic Prison, a misterious place located between time and space that no one has escaped yet.
Will Mario be able to save Yoshi? Or will he also get trapped in this mindboggling prison...FoReVeR???

Fear not, the power of friendship will surely break through dimensions!
This is a puzzle level that uses the dual worlds mechanic with many elements changing between worlds:
  • Yellow Blocks become coins
  • Goombas become Mushrooms
  • Grinders become moving platforms
  • Spikes become stone blocks
  • One direction doors change to the opposite direction
The layout twists and warps around itself, but if you follow the sound cues you´ll be able to find the exit with no problem.
Hope you enjoy it!

Also, please give feedback on RtDL5: Bomb Battle in Sky Bridge (944B-0000-00B5-13D6), I´m planning some changes but would like some more feedback on the level before updating it . As always I offer feedback in return on any level you wish:
tzIrlC0.png

Mario is taking back Dinosaur Land! However, Bowser is not going to allow this to continue. He´s sent Koopa the Crazy Bomber to Sky Bridge to protect this important location from Mario. But this plan might backfire, as Koopa just wants to blow everything up! Once he finishes there may not even be a Sky Bridge to protect...
Careful mario, don´t fall in Koopa´s traps!

Killua

Here's my latest level.

WVW69igEtF8cCNPNLf

The Infamous Red Shell Heist (B7D7-0000-00B9-07BF)

Your mission is to steal the Sacred Red Shell and make it out alive.

This is a fast paced platformer with a little bit of challenge.

Can somebody explain how this glitch happened (Not made by me)?

Here's the level where it happened:

glitches help

7248-0000-007D-B902

The level that had the 8 bit mega mushroom outside of SMB1

I played a level with a gold, shiny mario. How do you unlock that?

Either play the 100 Mario Challenge until you unlock him, or scan the gold mario amiibo

Can somebody explain how this glitch happened (Not made by me)?

Here's the level where it happened:

glitches help

7248-0000-007D-B902

The level that had the 8 bit mega mushroom outside of SMB1

It's not really a glitch. If you scan the Amiibo and then switch styles, it never gets rid of the item so it just becomes a dud.

braves01

Banned
Either play the 100 Mario Challenge until you unlock him, or scan the gold mario amiibo

Cool, I was worried it was something tied to how many medals you have. Expert 100 mario challenge can be a hell of a slog though. I think normal has given me the best levels even if a few autoplays slip in from time to time.

Kebiinu

Banned
0GhLSDz.png

And with that, we have a clear winner of the first SMM-GAF Community Contest!

Congratulations to..

..Kebiinu who took SMM-GAF's hearts by storm with his level, Koopa Trails!

ID: 427A-0000-0051-51C6

JYV6Zmp.jpg

Runner-up is BelgianDude with Super Climber Bros. 1-1,

I've been a bit busy the past few days, but I'm glad I checked the topic when I did. I had no idea my stage was going to deliver me the first place trophy, but I'm ecstatic that it did!

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me, and everyone who participated and made this tournament a true showcase of talent. The competition was definitely tough.

Congratulations as well, BelgianDude! Excellent job.

Oh, and I almost forgot to thank you, daydream! Without you, this wouldn't even be a thing in the first place. Thanks for making this possible!

Hooray! :)

Core Zero

Finally got Super Mario Maker, the roommate and I have made a few levels if anyone wants to play.

My roommate:

The Hall of Flames
2CAD-0000-00B7-9323

Challenging Platforms
47EE-0000-00B5-CAF0

My level:

Koopa Troopa Cave
54D3-0000-00B7-D4B6

There may be a bit masochistic in some areas, but we generally tried to make fun, challenging levels. Let us know what you think.

Went ahead and played through all three. Hall of Flames I think is the hardest, entirely due to the first screen, but I was still able to clear in a couple tries. Both your roommate's levels are short and simple, so despite a few tricky jumps they shouldn't be frustrating.

Your level is much closer to a "traditional" Mario level, reminiscent to me of some of the later underground levels in SMB3. I think it's pretty good, if fairly simple. Yet I managed to die on the last jump. I've become more and more leery of longer levels in Mario Maker, but yours is a good way to do it, with plenty of powerups and a greater focus on exploration rather than platforming challenge.

Pleasant Plains - (87EA-0000-00B9-79B7)

Okay, this one should be easy. If it ends up with a completion rate under 50%, I think I'm done with this game.

I think it'll be close, probably just under 50%. There's enough pits, and a set of Hammer Bros, and that's enough for a couple deaths on the average player. I helped out by clearing it my first try though.

How people tend to die was put into perspective for me when I checked my levels, and found that my "Advanced Platforming" level has a higher clear rate than my 1-1 contest submission, purely because the former has no pits, no enemies, no way to die except the timer. People WILL run into, and fall into these things, more than you would expect. The key is to make it not frustrating (in my opinion).

You've got a cute, simple level here at least, with a nice expansion on a P-Switch theme. One note, though, the last part has a bug of sorts. You do not need the final P-Switch. When you come out of the pipe, the Munchers will be gone either way. It doesn't really affect the level, but if you hadn't seen it I thought you should know.

I also just finished my first level. It's mostly jumping without any real enemies and a bit on the difficult side.

Realyn Work In Progress #1
32B4-0000-00B8-E965

Would love some feedback, especially for the start and on finding your way to Bowser.

Ooof. This is quite a ways past "a bit" challenging, right out of the gate. A blind fall into a very precise jump with a narrow window of opportunity sounds like something more out of a Panga/Kaizo level than anything else. I do see you provided the spiny to be a visual cue of when to fall (at least, I assume that's the intent) but I don't even think it's that good a cue, as I found it safer to fall a bit before it. If I saw this in 100-Mario I would skip it right after that, honestly.

If you intend this to be highly difficult, then you're okay, but there's a technical issue at the note block in the narrow vertical corridor: I can't see! You give me a P-Switch and I can't see ANYTHING in terms of what to do with it. I guess I'm supposed to throw it and bounce off it? But I can't tell because the screen doesn't scroll high enough. This has to be changed if you have any hope of someone completing your level.

I actually like the style of difficulty you are going for here, but you need to give the player a bit more of a chance to succeed, or they'll just end up frustrated and move on. And be very wary of how the camera behaves, remembering that people don't know what the next section of the level looks like, while you do.

EDIT: Because I was curious, I downloaded the level. And then I saw what I was supposed to do with the P-Switch. I'll chalk that up to the need to be very observant, but I still feel it's going to put a lot of people off right out of the gate. Then they're going to find more deviousness. As far as finding the way out to the Bowsers, I don't think many people will find that before giving up. (Spoilers in case others want to try)
I think the block with the vine should be moved a few blocks up, so I'm more likely to hit it standing on the visible block. That way it feels more like a natural "secret" similar to paths like that in actual Mario games. As it stands I don't know if I ever would have found it without opening the level in the editor. Combine that with the spring trap and most people will give up before they ever find it.

I think it'll be close, probably just under 50%. There's enough pits, and a set of Hammer Bros, and that's enough for a couple deaths on the average player. I helped out by clearing it my first try though.

How people tend to die was put into perspective for me when I checked my levels, and found that my "Advanced Platforming" level has a higher clear rate than my 1-1 contest submission, purely because the former has no pits, no enemies, no way to die except the timer. People WILL run into, and fall into these things, more than you would expect. The key is to make it not frustrating (in my opinion).

You've got a cute, simple level here at least, with a nice expansion on a P-Switch theme. One note, though, the last part has a bug of sorts. You do not need the final P-Switch. When you come out of the pipe, the Munchers will be gone either way. It doesn't really affect the level, but if you hadn't seen it I thought you should know.

Thank you for your feedback! I play tested this thing ten times and I didn't notice this oversight until you pointed it out. It's been fixed. Please try out the refined version when you have a chance. Thanks. :)

(C145-0000-00B9-B081)

Realyn

Ooof. This is quite a ways past "a bit" challenging, right out of the gate. A blind fall into a very precise jump with a narrow window of opportunity sounds like something more out of a Panga/Kaizo level than anything else. I do see you provided the spiny to be a visual cue of when to fall (at least, I assume that's the intent) but I don't even think it's that good a cue, as I found it safer to fall a bit before it. If I saw this in 100-Mario I would skip it right after that, honestly.

If you intend this to be highly difficult, then you're okay, but there's a technical issue at the note block in the narrow vertical corridor: I can't see! You give me a P-Switch and I can't see ANYTHING in terms of what to do with it. I guess I'm supposed to throw it and bounce off it? But I can't tell because the screen doesn't scroll high enough. This has to be changed if you have any hope of someone completing your level.

I actually like the style of difficulty you are going for here, but you need to give the player a bit more of a chance to succeed, or they'll just end up frustrated and move on. And be very wary of how the camera behaves, remembering that people don't know what the next section of the level looks like, while you do.

I understand your problem with blind fails, but personally I don't mind a bit of trial and error right at the start. After dropping down two or three times you really should look around and notice the kooper. You're right, as someone building the level you'll have a different approach to those jumps, but I thought the kooper dropping down was on point. I'll look at it again.

There are coins right below the platform you land on. I'll wall off the area above the P block so you don't try to go there.

So my copy arrived today and I'm already in love with this game.

I'm not much of a creator and this was flat out the first level I created, but if you guys wanna try some brazilian hardcore:

Bowcy Cave
1E3C-0000-00B9-B27D

I tried to remain as unspoiled as possible for this game, so I didn't know you don't have access to everything right from the start. Oh well.

Realyn

Made some tiny changes. Thanks a lot for playing it Core!

Realyn's Work In Progress #2
1A28-0000-00B9-B89B

Added a sign at the start and doors to reset the koopa
Walled off above the P block
Moved the plant
The fake tube now gives a hint

I decided to make another auto-scrolling shmup tribute level, this one is loosely based on the first level from R-TYPE:

"Super R-TYPE Bros"

C942-0000-00A9-2CC0

*watching SnarfyBobo's stream*

I think somebody accidentally made a good way to have a simple compact password system in their attempt to make a troll level. Basically Mario starts out stuck inside tile boundaries and anytime he jumps he either gets stuck inside a hole, or hits a hidden block and is able to keep moving in-bounds. They started calling out numbers that make up the correct pattern and I started to think, "Wait. Isn't that like a password?"

Hmmm, Kotaku put up an article about my checkpoint system: http://kotaku.com/players-are-bending-and-breaking-mario-maker-and-the-r-1737615599

The second part of the article is about boss battles, since mine has some nice ones, and they also talk about B-Bech's awesome boss rush course (sorry about breaking that :p).

I was wondering why my number of plays suddenly quadrupled in just 2 days (granted I only had about 50 before that), and it was probably all thanks to the article. I'm glad people liked it.

Inkvisible Avenues - 0363-0000-009E-B0CE.

Congrats to RagnarokX and B-Bech for getting featured! Seems like a lot of GAF levels are getting good ratings

Been busy so haven't been playing, but I'll start reviewing levels again once the weekend comes

Axiom

I've been trying and failing to design a level that utilised a glitch in a user friendly way, that also didn't render the level unbeatable or boring if it got patched.

This is hard.

But today I finally stumbled upon a different direction I felt was interesting, another fun way to use enemy behavior and what I feel is an original take on the Air-Ship theme. I was feeling pretty good about how things were coming along.
Then minutes ago I played Jarosh's latest two levels, including how he's brilliantly used the Air-Ship theme for Hard Hat Area and damn if I don't think my baby is a little uglier than I did 10 minutes ago.

Some random feedback:

Thank you! I'd become very critical about Break the Bank in retrospect, but you've pointed out some things I'd forgotten I'd even tried to do in all my focus on what I'd wished I'd done.

beanman25

Second level I have made!

Directed by Spike Lee (couldn't think of a name, hence the ridiculous name)

B2BC-0000-00BA-7E3C

Styled in SMB3. Not super difficult, I just really wanted to make a level with shell throw jump technique, haha.

please tell me thoughts! :)

Figure this is worth spreading around. Apparently someone has figured out how to upload a level that soft locks the game..

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker...reful_guys_i_just_encountered_a_level_during/

Alright, I was just doing a 100-Mario Challenge today, nothing special. That is, until I came across a level which had a single pipe in the beginning. Of course, first thing you do is enter the pipe. Well, this is where the pipe took me.

Mario didn't go back in the pipe. For some reason I couldn't skip by either holding the - button or swiping the screen, so the only thing I could really do was quit te game, meaning I need to start over my 100-Mario challenge. The timer also stopped counting AFAIK. I didn't check it at the time, but looking at the screenshot, I've definitely been there longer than 5 seconds. I haven't seen this before so I figured I'd post this here. I'm not sure how you could prevent this, but I at least wanted to let you guys know.

Hopefully they patch it soon or figure out a way to quickly remove levels that use the exploit.

RagnarokX

Getting mentioned in a Kotaku article really helps. I've gotten 905 stars just this week.
WVW69igNsaAU2GOZPw

Broke into the top 100 all-time star rankings for NA this morning:
WVW69igNt2Yw9yIdW_

Thanks, everyone! :D

Shaking off some rust here...

WVW69igN6OEhIifnuV

Patience Panic!?
(9C3C-0000-00BA-A0C2)

Something I like about just making a standard platforming stage with a noticeable trend/gimmick.
And somehow this game continues to compel me to make autoscrolling stages.

Getting mentioned in a Kotaku article really helps. I've gotten 905 stars just this week.

It's funny because I think I played your Bowser Jr Stage over the weekend when it was still a mostly GAF only affair I figure.

Then I go on today, notice you have all of a sudden jumped up in medals and have like infinitely more stars on that stage than before.

Found a way to break my "Impossible to lose" course. So I went ahead and made something even more foolproof.

WVW69igOnSEw5HW-hA

Easiest course ever

(5A3F-0000-00BA-C343)

Is there a way to make winged enemies fly sideways without putting them on a track? I want them to fly towards a platform so you have to use them to get to the next platform, but I'd rather the little track not be visible.

Is there a way to make winged enemies fly sideways without putting them on a track? I want them to fly towards a platform so you have to use them to get to the next platform, but I'd rather the little track not be visible.

Unfortunately you're kind of stuck here, the winged enemies that go horizontally like buzzy beetles and bob-ombs are set going their one way (so when dropped in the maker it's always towards the player)
Using a Bill Tower can have them fire out the opposite direction but once again they only go the one way.
And pipes to of course keep pumping them out if they're necessary to get past a gap when coming towards the player.

It's odd that there's no way to make winged red koopas move left and right as opposed to just up and down.

Ultimately though I'm not entirely sure of your scenario so this is the only info I can think of that may have any use.

vikki

I think the black hard shell enemies with wings fly sideways without moving up and down. Same with the red and blue spike enemies.

Unfortunately you're kind of stuck here, the winged enemies that go horizontally like buzzy beetles and bob-ombs are set going their one way (so when dropped in the maker it's always towards the player)
Using a Bill Tower can have them fire out the opposite direction but once again they only go the one way.
And pipes to of course keep pumping them out if they're necessary to get past a gap when coming towards the player.

It's odd that there's no way to make winged red koopas move left and right as opposed to just up and down.

Ultimately though I'm not entirely sure of your scenario so this is the only info I can think of that may have any use.

I think the black hard shell enemies with wings fly sideways without moving up and down. Same with the red and blue spike enemies.
Thanks to both of you. I ended up using Buzzy Beetles and it worked perfectly.

KooopaKid

Banned
I might be misremembering things, but the first part of the underwater section feels too difficult now, I don´t remember it being so hard. I love the final Wigglers setup underwater.

Strange, I just added 2 fire flowers and dressed the ocean floor more.

Nothing to comment, I think it was already good.

I like this one a lot, I couldn´t pinpoint the changes but the level somehow "flowed" better. Great job.

This one didn't change much either! lol You just got better ;)

Beat it first try, no more dying at the Z platform! Minor changes, the level looks nicer now with the rounded letters. Fun, intense and challenging, I wouldn´t change anything.

Cool thanks! See? Not that hard!

I think you should add a one way upwards door in the place where the player has to dismount the Clown Car, I stupidly missed that jump in 2 different attempts and if you do so you´re screwed as the Clow Car will despawn. That way if the player fails the jump he will land on the platform and can make it. That, or make the dismounting zone bigger, it´s easy for the Clown Car to touch a wall and move a bit to screw your jump. Also, as the Clown Car hasn´t appeared in the level up until this point you should assume that the player has no practice whatsoever with it (specially with dismounting it, which is something few levels require). So: make the landing zone easier and avoid all ways in which the player could mess up there.

I don't understand how you struggle jumping off the Clown Car, you just have to jump right? The Clown Car doesn't despawn either, only when you go too far apparently.

I would also remove some of the yellow blocks in the part where you have to destroy them to get to the Spiky Helmet, it´s time consuming and that repetition really doesn´t add much to the level. What´s worse, as you´re spinning you´ll surely hit a block with the cape, so you´ll ahve to wait for it to stop spinning to break it. Just reduce it to one or two columns of blocks that can be destroyed easily with a single Spin Jump and some rebounds: you´ll achieve the same thing but make it less repetitive.

Apart from these 2 little things, it´s still the best cape tutorial level.

Yeah, 2 rows would have been enough! But that's a tiny complaint ^ ^

Playing your new level now!

PS: I give up for now!

cloudyboy

Neo Member
New course!

This is a puzzle level that uses the dual worlds mechanic with many elements changing between worlds:
  • Yellow Blocks become coins
  • Goombas become Mushrooms
  • Grinders become moving platforms
  • Spikes become stone blocks
  • One direction doors change to the opposite direction
The layout twists and warps around itself, but if you follow the sound cues you´ll be able to find the exit with no problem.
Hope you enjoy it!

Also, please give feedback on RtDL5: Bomb Battle in Sky Bridge (944B-0000-00B5-13D6), I´m planning some changes but would like some more feedback on the level before updating it . As always I offer feedback in return on any level you wish:

As I commented the level, it was a good course, I liked the mechanics and puzzles, however I feel like the first section is easier than the second section, but that might be because I was better at catching the puzzles.

J-Fr

In water, no one can hear you..
ID: DACE-0000-00BA-D7CD
Difficulty: Survival Horror

Why is Mario lost in a lab full of Xeno-Wigglers? Discover the truth!
(There is no truth, this is for Halloween!)

Super TOHO World 6-3
ID: 0E5A-0000-00BA-DF71
Difficulty: Precise Jumps

I tweaked this one a bit.
Third stage based on Touhou the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.
I hope your are prepared to assault the rainbow stairway!

WVW69igPUGMStXDFVE

Lonely Lagoon - (6785-0000-00BA-E591)

If you're afraid of water, you'll hate this course. I even managed to include some Lakitu action, which I normally shy away from since the cloud can be exploited.

Top Bottom