• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

A bit of a bump for a new day and a new page but I'd like to see more people complete the level. Give it a try if you are into levels with a lot of action.

Castles & Koopas

Supplementary Promotional Artwork

suhcwrc.jpg

(133B-0000-00B8-DCE0)

jarosh

Haven't really had the time in a while to complete a new course, but I'm working on one right now.

I've never once reposted my courses, so forgive me for doing it this once, Gaf, as I just put together a little gallery image with all of them:

UyUnV87.png

Ranger X

No problem Jarosh, I mean the levels are so lost in the thread, its useful to have them reposted. I always see a level and go like "oh yeah, I wanted to play that one".

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
A friend and I have been creating levels for about 2 weeks now and we'd like a bit of feedback. Anyone willing to play them? :)

ob35ih1.png

yVmco2K.png

56ZaJEk.png

sQMjCzg.png

FYBjtGv.png

Btw jarosh, been loving your courses!

J-Fr

How do you guys advertise your hardcore/kaizo levels?
I just uploaded mine after two hours.. I don't want it fall into oblivion!

Title: Naufrage Extrème
ID: F42B-0000-00BF-64EC
Difficulty: Very Hard

The title mean "Extreme shipwreck". It's an unforgiving auto-scrolling level where you have to use Spines to get past all the debris!
The last section should definitely gets your heart going.. ^^

A friend and I have been creating levels for about 2 weeks now and we'd like a bit of feedback. Anyone willing to play them? :)

http://i.imgur.com/ob35ih1.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/yVmco2K.pngIMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/56ZaJEk.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sQMjCzg.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FYBjtGv.png[IMG]

Btw jarosh, been loving your courses![/QUOTE]

I played Vampyr and Where's Yoshi and liked them enough to star them. I ended up making Where's Yoshi harder on myself than it should have been so apologies for a few extra unnecessary deaths on the clear rate.

Haven't really had the time in a while to complete a new course, but I'm working on one right now.

I've never once reposted my courses, so forgive me for doing it this once, Gaf, as I just put together a little gallery image with all of them:

UyUnV87.png

Long Live Queen Koopa is absolutely brilliant! Just when you think the level is over, it delivers a big "Gotcha!" I love it!

B_Bech

I haven't posted stages for you guys in a while, so I suppose I'll do a big roundup of all my recent stages. One of these in particular is a must play, and I think one of my most fully realized puzzle stages to date.

Magicant
(98F2-0000-00BF-74A1)
WVW69ignRF8yDYujSW

Type: Music/ Autoscroll/ platforming
Difficulty: Light

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
(7E21-0000-00BC-736D)

WVW69ignSYY5fqpVfl

Type: Puzzle
Difficulty: Hard

The TRUE 7 Boss Rush!
(1C8D-0000-00B9-BE15)

WVW69ignhdo3ctmWv6

Type: Gauntlet
Difficulty: Expert

Baby Bayonetta's Bitty Booty
(C05C-0000-00B9-8BED)

WVW69ignU88Z5_3CQR

Type: Character Action
Difficulty: Normal

Sparkle Shine Mine
(80A5-0000-00B4-1500)

WVW69ignjeseB-9DHQ

Type: On Rails
Difficulty: Expert

Cloudy with a Chance of Mushroom
(D1A7-0000-00B3-989E)

WVW69igny1M9oZZ3Dz

Type: Platformer
Difficulty: Easy

Shovel Knight: Pridemoor Keep
(4E89-0000-00A7-2236)

WVW69ign3hcBYpVImF

Type: Homage
Difficulty: Normal

CrisKre

I haven't posted stages for you guys in a while, so I suppose I'll do a big roundup of all my recent stages. One of these in particular is a must play, and I think one of my most fully realized puzzle stages to date.

Magicant
(98F2-0000-00BF-74A1)
WVW69ignRF8yDYujSW

Baby Bayonetta's Bitty Booty
(C05C-0000-00B9-8BED)

WVW69ignU88Z5_3CQR

Type: Character Action

Played this two. Fun, beautiful and creative homages.
I loved you mentioning Itoi at the end of the level there.

jarosh

Finally made a level I feel decent about. It's more of a puzzle level though, if you can call it that. Clear the way so you and the 'red line' can safely make it across the chasm.

The Red Line! (Helps You Jump)
F29F-0000-00B5-9752

WVW69ifxCDwelgE6oe

A different stage on my alt account seems liked so I guess I can share that one too. This is more of a straightforward action stage. That cloud is one mean bully.

Cloud Bully
5A71-0000-00AE-D1AB

WVW69ifRv7w0YRtJt1

Cloud Bully might be my new favorite stage. Even though it has one hell of a frustrating ending. I died many times but played until I cleared it. It's a fantastic idea to iterate on and subvert the piranha plant section from earlier in the level, but the way you set it up, it's entirely too arbitrary and I couldn't really make it work the way you intended, so I ended up just cheesing it by getting hit. Still, hell of a fun stage with a fittingly straightforward but very deliberate design. I actually experimented for quite some time with a similar spring cloud mechanic, but it didn't occur to me to turn the spring sideways before putting in the cloud, and my tests turned out to not be very fun to play. This is much better.

I also played some of your other levels. I particularly liked the Mecha Koopa one. I didn't know you also had another account. I'll give the Red Line course a try tomorrow and will check out some of the other levels on that account as well.

Anteo

So, I just finished a new stage. I've been working on this one slowly over the last 2 weeks:

I've been here before

lUw8Lpw.jpg

A703-0000-0052-40AF

This stage has no real enemies, the challenge comes from the confusing layout. You are required to grab powerups to continue.

Edit: Updated the levle code, jst small changes that can help the player a lot.

Phant

My brother Made a level and wanted some feedback.

Crazy Castle
D7D4-0000-00C0-242F

It is loaded with a bunch of secret areas (I think 4 or 5?) Try and find all of them!

Let me know what you guys think and I will pass on the feedback, thanks!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Today I've uploaded a followup to Super Dude Bros. II Chapter 1-1.

Super Dude Bros.™ II Chapter 1-2: There Will Be B.R.Oil - (37B2-0000-00D6-EDE8)

009_superdudebros1-2wks3k.png

- Official Dudebro™ II level, picks up right where 1-1 ended (so it's suggested to play both in order, possibly one after the other)
- Loosely based on the latter half the game's first chapter, so it may or may not feature some spoilers
- Uses a simplified version of Ragnarok's checkpoint system
- Three hidden 1ups as usual

Feedback would be lovely!

Previous levels:
z_selectionnhadd.png

EDIT: Reuploaded with a new ID.

JC Sera

So, I just finished a new stage. I've been working on this one slowly over the last 2 weeks:

This stage has no real enemies, the challenge comes from the confusing layout. You are required to grab powerups to continue.
It always nice to have a heads up on this

is it ok to post a couple of levels I've found on the normal 100 mario challenge which I felt were really good and I wanna share?

CrisKre

My brother Made a level and wanted some feedback.

Crazy Castle
D7D4-0000-00C0-242F

It is loaded with a bunch of secret areas (I think 4 or 5?) Try and find all of them!

Let me know what you guys think and I will pass on the feedback, thanks!

That was very nice. Challenging enough and a lot of fun. Enjoyed the secrets.

Here is my latest course if you want to give it a go. Nobody has played it yet :(

WVW69igopE0Vdw6ucz

A bob-omb of ice and fire 

58E7-0000-00BF-B4E8

javadoze

UyUnV87.png

"Long Live Queen Koopa" is probably my personal favorite out of all of your levels. Despite that, "Hard Hat Area" is great for making the level look like a construction site and "Plumber's Perilous Passage" is amazing for utilizing the P-Switches in a pretty unique way without feeling too hard.

Nimby

Banned
Ah, just read these are your mates levels, sorry!

Deathtrap level ID not found.

Boney Ice Cavern is OK, simple platforming but felt like various elements thrown together with no real sense of design. The power-ups towards the end are also very generous and allow you to completely disregard the stack of Bones by just taking a hit and drive to the finish.

Hmm, checked the screenshot and it's correct. Unless I'm crazy, which wouldn't be that farfetched either.

And I'll tell my friend what you thought of them. I prefer the ship stage he made, he put more thought into that one.

(mat)

A nice simple level that is a result from me wanting to hide secrets in a level.

Those Mischeivous Boos: 8900-0000-00BA-2210

Find the 3 hidden (collectable) 1ups!

Kirk

I had already played most of your stages, but I gave Hard Hat Area a go for the first time tonight. You are the master of ambiance! I love how you are able to pull the pieces together into a very consistent theme.

Kirk

I finished my first new stage in a while today. It's a NSMBU Ghost House stage, with a mix of platforming and puzzling. Lots of winding paths and secrets in true ghost house style. I chose NSMBU because I wanted to challenge myself with something unfamiliar, and because I wanted to try using wall jumps for some challenges. I hope you like it.

The Ghostess With the Mostest

(831E-0000-00C0-C967)

Bladelaw

Hey folks, I just made something I'm pretty proud of, it's my first "theme" level.

Name: Through the Fire and Flames
Couse ID: 18FE-0000-00C0-D9B8
Description: Mario finds himself in the underworld. Can he escape his firey foes and fight fire with fire to find his happy ending?
Difficulty: Moderate (one part is kind of a dick though)

Level feedback on some random posts from the thread:

Level 1:
WVW69igeDK8Wzj0v9U

Only a Spin, Hop and a Jump Away (5525-0000-00BD-7ABF)
Not a dig on you man but autoscroll levels are super annoying. The jumps are well timed everything is super tight but the underwater section is beyond frustrating because you can't correct for things you can't see coming until it is too late. I spent literally an hour completing it, I'm not sure how many lives but if I got this in the 100 mario challenge I'd skip as soon as I hit the underwater part.

Level 2:
n2uERmQ.png

"Must Proceed Hastily" - 37C0-0000-00BD-237E

From the name you can probably tell who you'll play as
I just bought a Sonic amiibo and had to do it.
I think you really catured the feel of the character. Those trampolines wrecked me a couple times though. The timing is just so off.

Level 3:

Magicant
(98F2-0000-00BF-74A1)
WVW69ignRF8yDYujSW

I really needed this as a pallet cleanser. Just a nice stroll. Great homage and gives you enough time to appreciate what's there.

Xemnas89

I just got this today and I've been playing IGA's levels. Really enjoyed his stuff and hope he makes more. Are there any other game developers that have been making levels?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I just got this today and I've been playing IGA's levels. Really enjoyed his stuff and hope he makes more. Are there any other game developers that have been making levels?
I don't think that's the real IGA ;)
His Legion level was fantastic though!

UyUnV87.png
Just realized I never posted feedback for your latest two levels.

Hard Hat Area is a great course, and I love how you used the airship tiles for a construction site.
Liked Plumber's Perilous Pilgrimage a lot as well. For an alternate take on the same concept, I'd like to mention Mama Robotnik's level Don't Let Waluigi 'P' himself!! (7722-0000-0073-2CD4). The tone is different, but it's a very well designed obstacle course. Hard, but never unfair.

correojon

Free Public Service Annonucement:
I´m going to record some stages, I will post the link to the video here with a nice text review (no live comment on the video as I have no mic). If you are interested quote this text and reply with your level ID (only one per user for the moment).

Some feedback I got on RtDL6: Goomba´s Quantic Laboratory:
Cool level! The part where you had to take the switch back for the first time you can lock yourself out of being able to get back up again to the door by collecting all the coins though, I think.
Yeah I´m aware of that, I thought that it being so early in the level and part of the puzzle will make the player more careful, as right form the start he has to work with blocks and coins. Thinking now about it, it´s better I change it, thanks for pointing it out.

Also felt a tiny bit like I broke it again after I got Yoshi, since there where some routes that were now accessable but not needed to finish the course, but it seemed like those where just shortcuts around the level (not really needed anymore though)?
Hmmm. I´ll look into it, I think I know what you´re talking about
you mean going left from where Yoshi is trapped and skipping all the lower part, right?

I´ve also uploaded a new version of RtDL5: Bomb Battle in Sky Bridge (AF79-0000-00C1-E338). I´ve made many small changes through all the course so you have to wait less and act more, any feedback on this new version will be greatly appreciated:
iFoGqPh.png

Mario is taking back Dinosaur Land! However, Bowser is not going to allow this to continue. He´s sent Koopa the Crazy Bomber to Sky Bridge to protect this important location from Mario. But this plan might backfire, as Koopa just wants to blow everything up! Once he finishes there may not even be a Sky Bridge to protect...
Careful mario, don´t fall in Koopa´s traps!

I´m going to record some stages, I will post the link to the video here with a nice text review (no live comment on the video as I have no mic). If you are interested quote this text and reply with your level ID (only one per user for the moment).
Sure. Here is my newest one: 133B-0000-00B8-DCE0

Double

DE92-0000-00BF-D586 ("Airship invasion"), third level of a friend of mine ;)

you mean going left from where Yoshi is trapped and skipping all the lower part, right?
Yeah, exactly! Haha, so I did it again =]

I´ve also uploaded a new version of RtDL5: Bomb Battle in Sky Bridge (AF79-0000-00C1-E338). I´ve made many small changes through all the course so you have to wait less and act more, any feedback on this new version will be greatly appreciated:
Will try this out later! (now on to LoL worlds :>)

kinggroin

Banned
WVW69igwEjAYaCO67j

Baby's First Gauntlet (D2D9-0000-00C1-54E3)

Super easy, testing basic platform skills. Pretty short though (check out Fire and Ice for expert skill level)

WVW69igvVKAbJ7XBdR

Chomper's Grisly Grotto (BBFB-0000-00C1-24A6)

Moderate to hard difficult on this one. Medium length. Mostly putting chain chomps in various situations that uniquely test your platforming ability. Still rough around the edges, so more than anything I'd like feedback so that I can nip tuck to perfection.

IF YOU PLAY AND COMMENT I WILL RECIPROCATE!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'd love some feedback for Super Dude Bros. II 1-2- (37B2-0000-00D6-EDE8), thank you (I believe you've already played 1-1, didn't you?).

EDIT: Updated ID after reuploading.

Anteo

This one: A703-0000-0052-40AF
Made it yesterday

jarosh

Btw jarosh, been loving your courses!

Long Live Queen Koopa is absolutely brilliant! Just when you think the level is over, it delivers a big "Gotcha!" I love it!

"Long Live Queen Koopa" is probably my personal favorite out of all of your levels. Despite that, "Hard Hat Area" is great for making the level look like a construction site and "Plumber's Perilous Passage" is amazing for utilizing the P-Switches in a pretty unique way without feeling too hard.

I had already played most of your stages, but I gave Hard Hat Area a go for the first time tonight. You are the master of ambiance! I love how you are able to pull the pieces together into a very consistent theme.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!

Just realized I never posted feedback for your latest two levels.

Hard Hat Area is a great course, and I love how you used the airship tiles for a construction site.
Liked Plumber's Perilous Pilgrimage a lot as well. For an alternate take on the same concept, I'd like to mention Mama Robotnik's level Don't Let Waluigi 'P' himself!! (7722-0000-0073-2CD4). The tone is different, but it's a very well designed obstacle course. Hard, but never unfair.
Oh interesting. I just tried the Waluigi one. It's interesting how he even used big piranha plants similarly to how I used munchers in my course. Though yes, otherwise it's a fairly different execution of a similar idea. And I did like his course, but one thing that bothered me, which I consciously tried to avoid in mine, was the placement of P-switches right next to a walkable block. It is not predictable for the player how far he can step off the block before the adjacent P-switch is triggered, it's pretty much an arbitrary pixel boundary. I found that a bit frustrating.

I keep missing your streams, damn time zones :(

Tell me about it!

StayDead

Would love some feedback on DK COUNTRY NES (C06F-0000-00C1-BF63) if possible. ^^

Moderate to hard difficult on this one. Medium length. Mostly putting chain chomps in various situations that uniquely test your platforming ability. Still rough around the edges, so more than anything I'd like feedback so that I can nip tuck to perfection.
This level kicked my butt, but using the correct techniques (I am really tired and I want to see what's going on for lunch, I might get back to it later).

Despite my not finishing the level I did put a bunch of attempts on it. I don't think I'd necessarily make anything easier based on what I saw
I was mostly thinking about telling you about some cool things you can do with chain chomps like put the wooden part of it on a spring or adding diagonals and curves to your chain chomp tracks in such a way that it makes them gain a bunch of momentum on their swing which makes them terrifying.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

1-3: The road to Fungitown, ID 3B27-0000-00BB-B1FF

Hopefully, you can offer your feedback on it.

P.S. It's a level in my own New Super Mario Bros. M series, thus, alongside the sub-challenges mentioned at the beginning of the level, there's a main one, which is getting all 5 1Ups hidden in the level (and there's always one of them more secret than the others).

kinggroin

Banned

Some feedback I got on RtDL6: Goomba´s Quantic Laboratory:

Yeah I´m aware of that, I thought that it being so early in the level and part of the puzzle will make the player more careful, as right form the start he has to work with blocks and coins. Thinking now about it, it´s better I change it, thanks for pointing it out.

Run along, run along... (2ADF-0000-00B0-7255)

Thanks

Lonely Lagoon - (6785-0000-00BA-E591)

They say that empty ocean is the scariest. Watch out for the Chomp Sharks.

Simbabbad

Wow, I finally managed to scan over 40 pages of NeoGAF Super Mario Maker stages. This thread moved FAST. I starred and commented tons of stages on Miiverse, my Mii name is Emmanuel (and my NID Simbabbad, my Mii is the same as the one on the level cards below). Scroll down to see my comments on the most recent stages here.

--

I myself published two new levels from my "Old School Super Mario" series. After five levels with a focus on exploration and puzzles, I felt I needed to go back to simpler, purer mechanics. A lot of Super Mario Maker levels are more or less: "do exactly this or you're stuck/dead", while classic Super Mario Bros. stages are more about improvising your own solution in a rather open playground, with different solutions and possible play styles. I kept that in mind a lot while making those levels:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Plains%2529.png

Old School Super Mario (Plains) is actually the first level I've uploaded, but here revamped A LOT. After more experience with Super Mario Maker, it became apparent to me the level both wasn't close enough to classic Super Mario Bros. logic and wasn't interesting enough, so I revised it completely. It was actually quite instructive to create varied and challenging situations from very simple mechanics: the level is in line with classic mechanics, but adapted to the physics, scrolling management and enemy behaviour of Super Mario Maker, with a blend of three level archetypes (including an underground) from the original game.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Cliffs%2529.png

Old School Super Mario (Ciffs), like the plains level, blends together three types of level from the original game: cliff levels, "cheep cheeps under a bridge" levels, and a touch of water levels. It worked so surprisingly well (IMO) in producing a fun level while staying in line with traditional design, that it made me work harder on my revamp of the plains level. The way cheep cheeps are managed in Super Mario Maker can create pretty funny situations.

You can check my other levels in:

- My (French) blog
- SUPER MARIO MAKER BOOKMARK

--

Now, feedback time:

BOMB Ballet! -- CEC1-0000-0082-1E2F - Nice level, but there is no powerup given before the boss (which kills you very easily), and when it does kill you, you don't feel like redoing everything.

Got GUTS? -- B8B2-0000-0082-1F30 - Like the previous level, I liked it but the boss (or mid-boss?) kills you quickly/randomly, and it's discouraging.

Close CUT! -- AF83-0000-0082-2084 - I'll sound like a broken record, but I gave up at the boss. This time you can apprehend/understand it from a safe spot, which is nice, but it's so cramped you can get killed very easily.

Molehills,Mushrooms and Munchers F3DA-0000-00B7-D016 - I loved it! Great pacing, multiple strategies and routes, hidden powerups... lately I'm a sucker for traditional design.

Holy Monty Mole-y grotto trails D8D0-0000-00B7-1278 - I agree with the starting point comment: the level is long and mostly too busy, I liked it but it's too hard to foresee hazards. Therefore, when you die, it doesn't feel like it's your fault/that you could do better next time.

The Infamous Red Shell Heist (B7D7-0000-00B9-07BF) - I'm not really into "die & retry" levels in Super Mario Maker, but I completed yours, it works very well. It's not too long, flows well, action is intuitive, and when you die, you feel like you won't make the same mistake next time. Maybe some Thwomps are a bit too close to the player (the part where the blue ghost train connects with a Thwomp alignment feels a bit random, in particular). Well done.

Patience Panic!? (9C3C-0000-00BA-A0C2) - Autoscrolling levels, ice blocks, bob-ombs and water levels aren't things I'm particularly fond of, but I loved your level, it flows perfectly.

Luigi's Mansion - Well done thematically, but action is a bit bland IMO.

In water, no one can hear you.. DACE-0000-00BA-D7CD - Not my sort of level, but well made, nothing bad sticks out.

That's all for today!

CrisKre

Wow, I finally managed to scan over 40 pages of NeoGAF Super Mario Maker stages. This thread moved FAST. I starred and commented tons of stages on Miiverse, my Mii name is Emmanuel (and my NID Simbabbad, my Mii is the same as the one on the level cards below). Scroll down to see my comments on the most recent stages here.

--

I myself published two new levels from my "Old School Super Mario" series. After five levels with a focus on exploration and puzzles, I felt I needed to go back to simpler, purer mechanics. A lot of Super Mario Maker levels are more or less: "do exactly this or you're stuck/dead", while classic Super Mario Bros. stages are more about improvising your own solution in a rather open playground, with different solutions and possible play styles. I kept that in mind a lot while making those levels:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Plains%2529.png

Old School Super Mario (Plains) is actually the first level I've uploaded, but here revamped A LOT. After more experience with Super Mario Maker, it became apparent to me the level both wasn't close enough to classic Super Mario Bros. logic and wasn't interesting enough, so I revised it completely. It was actually quite instructive to create varied and challenging situations from very simple mechanics: the level is in line with classic mechanics, but adapted to the physics, scrolling management and enemy behaviour of Super Mario Maker, with a blend of three level archetypes (including an underground) from the original game.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Cliffs%2529.png

Old School Super Mario (Ciffs), like the plains level, blends together three types of level from the original game: cliff levels, "cheep cheeps under a bridge" levels, and a touch of water levels. It worked so surprisingly well (IMO) in producing a fun level while staying in line with traditional design, that it made me work harder on my revamp of the plains level. The way cheep cheeps are managed in Super Mario Maker can create pretty funny situations.

--

My "recently" published other levels:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BTopsy-turvy%2BWaluigi%2B%2528Plains%2529.gif

Topsy-turvy Waluigi is heavily inspired by Wario Land, with a mix of action, platforming, exploration and puzzles, and with a gimmick: when you take a door, it takes you to the "other side" of the level, to see what's "behind" the backdrops and land areas. Switch wisely between both sides to reach the ending pole.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BWorld%2B%2528monde%2529%2By%2Bcant%2Bmetroid%2Bshoot.png

The "y cant metroid shoot?" series offers four levels, each inspired by a Metroid (NES) area: Brinstar is focused on classic Metroid gameplay (exploration and puzzles), Kraid is simpler and has more action, Ridley is all about secrets, and Tourian is a straight action level where you battle against Metroids and Mother Brain.

You can check my other levels in:

- My (French) blog
- Nintendo Life
- MarioMakerHub

--

Now, feedback time:

BOMB Ballet! -- CEC1-0000-0082-1E2F - Nice level, but there is no powerup given before the boss (which kills you very easily), and when it does kill you, you don't feel like redoing everything.

Got GUTS? -- B8B2-0000-0082-1F30 - Like the previous level, I liked it but the boss (or mid-boss?) kills you quickly/randomly, and it's discouraging.

Close CUT! -- AF83-0000-0082-2084 - I'll sound like a broken record, but I gave up at the boss. This time you can apprehend/understand it from a safe spot, which is nice, but it's so cramped you can get killed very easily.

Molehills,Mushrooms and Munchers F3DA-0000-00B7-D016 - I loved it! Great pacing, multiple strategies and routes, hidden powerups... lately I'm a sucker for traditional design.

Holy Monty Mole-y grotto trails D8D0-0000-00B7-1278 - I agree with the starting point comment: the level is long and mostly too busy, I liked it but it's too hard to foresee hazards. Therefore, when you die, it doesn't feel like it's your fault/that you could do better next time.

The Infamous Red Shell Heist (B7D7-0000-00B9-07BF) - I'm not really into "die & retry" levels in Super Mario Maker, but I completed yours, it works very well. It's not too long, flows well, action is intuitive, and when you die, you feel like you won't make the same mistake next time. Maybe some Thwomps are a bit too close to the player (the part where the blue ghost train connects with a Thwomp alignment feels a bit random, in particular). Well done.

Patience Panic!? (9C3C-0000-00BA-A0C2) - Autoscrolling levels, ice blocks, bob-ombs and water levels aren't things I'm particularly fond of, but I loved your level, it flows perfectly.

Luigi's Mansion - Well done thematically, but action is a bit bland IMO.

In water, no one can hear you.. DACE-0000-00BA-D7CD - Not my sort of level, but well made, nothing bad sticks out.

That's all for today!

Thanks for the comments! I am thinking on going back and making my level a bit easier, since i sometimes get a bit carried away when making them. Much appreciated. I will try yours when i get home later tonight.

Alright, I tried to make a very quick, traditional, mildly medium difficult Nintendo style Mario level, and I think it came out quite nice. One of the things I am always trying to keep in mind while making a level is by making sure any death or mistake is caused by the player, and not the level. I have been playing so many levels where a player simply cannot avoid death until learning what to do after the fact. I think thats bad level design. Hopefully I am succeeding. I would appreciate input!

Oil Ship Frenzy
ID = C773-0000-00C0-18AE

WVW69ig1_s8dI_wfLP
'

Would appreciate any feedback.

Top Bottom