• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

BOMB Ballet! -- CEC1-0000-0082-1E2F - Nice level, but there is no powerup given before the boss (which kills you very easily), and when it does kill you, you don't feel like redoing everything.

There's a mushroom about two screens before the entrance of the boss hallway (you just have to hop over a Hammer Bro so you don't lose it, which shouldn't be too tough). And if you can time your jump properly, there's that Fire Flower in the alcove just before the boss. In the boss room itself, there's a mushroom above the conveyor belt, and the top of the block is a safe zone. Also, the spot where you land just as you enter the boss room is a semi-safe spot -- as long as you jump straight up when an enemy comes walking by, you'll be safe. I made sure there were just enough opportunities to safely observe the pattern before attacking.

Got GUTS? -- B8B2-0000-0082-1F30 - Like the previous level, I liked it but the boss (or mid-boss?) kills you quickly/randomly, and it's discouraging.

The far right wall is a safe zone.
There's also a trick to let the boss beat itself after only hitting the POW block once. You just wait in the safe zone.

Close CUT! -- AF83-0000-0082-2084 - I'll sound like a broken record, but I gave up at the boss. This time you can apprehend/understand it from a safe spot, which is nice, but it's so cramped you can get killed very easily.

You can make the boss easier by finding one of two hidden Fire Flowers in the level.

There's a mushroom about two screens before the entrance of the boss hallway (you just have to hop over a Hammer Bro so you don't lose it, which shouldn't be too tough). And if you can time your jump properly, there's that Fire Flower in the alcove just before the boss. In the boss room itself, there's a mushroom above the conveyor belt, and the top of the block is a safe zone. Also, the spot where you land just as you enter the boss room is a semi-safe spot -- as long as you jump straight up when an enemy comes walking by, you'll be safe. I made sure there were just enough opportunities to safely observe the pattern before attacking

Going to have to echo his thoughts. The boss area jumps in difficulty 10x what the rest of the level felt like, and without any halfway point, which would have been perfect to implement right before the boss battle, I didn't feel like re-treading the entire level to replay what felt like an overly difficult boss fight. The level previous to that moment was real fun though. Nicely put together.

Going to have to echo his thoughts. The boss area jumps in difficulty 10x what the rest of the level felt like, and without any halfway point, which would have been perfect to implement right before the boss battle, I didn't feel like re-treading the entire level to replay what felt like an overly difficult boss fight. The level previous to that moment was real fun though. Nicely put together.

I don't want to get in the habit of reuploading levels whenever I want to implement bug fixes or other changes -- I'll leave them as is, flaws and all. With how packed these levels are, a password room might not even be able to fit, anyway.

But I do want to do something to make these levels less headache-inducing. How about this: I make a boss practice level. I'll give you the option to fight any of the first six bosses, with or without power-ups, to allow people to check out the bosses right away without having to play through the whole source levels.

How does that sound? Decent compromise? Next time I do a super hard level, I'll be sure to include a password system in the original plans.

I don't want to get in the habit of reuploading levels whenever I want to implement bug fixes or other changes -- I'll leave them as is, flaws and all. With how packed these levels are, a password room might not even be able to fit, anyway.

But I do want to do something to make these levels less headache-inducing. How about this: I make a boss practice level. I'll give you the option to fight any of the first six bosses, with or without power-ups, to allow people to check out the bosses right away without having to play through the whole source levels.

How does that sound? Decent compromise? Next time I do a super hard level, I'll be sure to include a password system in the original plans.

Someone a few weeks back posted a great example of implementing a halfway pipe that's hidden. At the risk of sounding a little self promoting, play my level a few posts up. I incorporate a halfway system I think you will find useful.

fabprems

Free Public Service Annonucement:
I´m going to record some stages, I will post the link to the video here with a nice text review (no live comment on the video as I have no mic). If you are interested quote this text and reply with your level ID (only one per user for the moment).

Hey everybody, let me present you my last stage :
supermariorugby2.jpg

After Super Mario Kart, Super Mario Rugby let you play the final of the World Cup : Australia vs. New Zealand !

Anyway, with the next rugby world cup in japan in 4 years, I expect that we will get some good rugby game for once :D

I hope you'll have fun and find the way to convert your try ;)

Dimentios

I´m going to record some stages, I will post the link to the video here with a nice text review (no live comment on the video as I have no mic). If you are interested quote this text and reply with your level ID (only one per user for the moment).

Nice, man.

Glacier Cocktail
ID: 9E99-0000-00B3-4A19

supermariorugby2.jpg

After Super Mario Kart, Super Mario Rugby let you play the final of the World Cup : Australia vs. New Zealand !

Anyway, with the next rugby world cup in japan in 4 years, I expect that we will get some good rugby game for once :D

Beat it. Fun quick level. You do have to be perfect

J-Fr

Just played 100 Mario Mode, it's in a much better shape than a month ago!
I found good levels in Easy, I had fun in normal and I could finish Expert mode with 45 lives.

These I'm posting here are levels from my Italian pal Kiavik. He really wants to hear what the level creators on GAF think of his levels, but unfortunately he can't create an account to start posting them himself. (all his e-mail addresses get rejected by the system)
His levels all offer really interesting and original mechanics, they are very well designed and fairly challenging. I hope you will try them out!

Here are his two latest courses:

Egg Carrier Yoshis!

9B5E-0000-00B5-34B2

A puzzle level of medium-low difficulty that uses a gimmick I believe nobody exploited yet. The level title may give you a hint. There are no enemies, so take your time, figure out the puzzles, be ready to act fast should the situation require it. Good luck.

The Pits and the Pendulums

2E7C-0000-00BC-6683

This is an action-puzzle course centered around chain chomps and spin jumps. I try to teach the player the concepts he needs as the level goes on, and I feel like it's a pretty good course to practice your jumping skills. Some parts may surprise you.

WVW69igopE0Vdw6ucz

A bob-omb of ice and fire 

58E7-0000-00BF-B4E8

This is a really intricately designed level. A lot of thought went into it I can tell. Lots of secrets and paths. I have 2 main issues though. I think its exremely long and that discourages people from retrying. In future levels I would avoid making them so long or I would look into one of the checkpoint systems used in this thread. I got to pretty much the end with 60 ticks left on the timer and died. Retried and realized I really wasnt as close to the end as I thought. It is a reality that long levels just dont work in this game without checkpoints. The only other thing I would mention is some of those cloud rides towards the end were pretty brutal. I would tone it down there as well.

Overall good job. Starred

Super easy, testing basic platform skills. Pretty short though (check out Fire and Ice for expert skill level)

IF YOU PLAY AND COMMENT I WILL RECIPROCATE!

Played you beginner stage. It was a fine level. Not really super easy though. The end was not what O was expecting from super easy. The only thing I did not like is where you jump on all the goombas heads then hit the skull ride. I always dislike when you abruptly have to push no buttons or you die. It just feels eh to me. I would make stuff like that interactive. I died because I jumped the first time. Sorta frustrating.

Starred.

My latest little adventure. Make your way through the caves and the depths of the ocean, finding an old sunken treasure and ultimately a way out.

Would appreciate any feedback! I'll play through some more of these recent GAF stages soon. Thanks!

Captain Bowser's Sunken Treasure
AB66-0000-00C3-0B4F

WVW69ig4ydgYtn3qlI

CrisKre

This is a really intricately designed level. A lot of thought went into it I can tell. Lots of secrets and paths. I have 2 main issues though. I think its exremely long and that discourages people from retrying. In future levels I would avoid making them so long or I would look into one of the checkpoint systems used in this thread. I got to pretty much the end with 60 ticks left on the timer and died. Retried and realized I really wasnt as close to the end as I thought. It is a reality that long levels just dont work in this game without checkpoints. The only other thing I would mention is some of those cloud rides towards the end were pretty brutal. I would tone it down there as well.

Overall good job.

Thank you! Im making another level now that I PROMISE will be shorter. I will check your levels when i get home later. Whats your N. ID?

Xemnas89

The majority of the stages I come across are either auto levels or stupid hard just for the sake of it. In the top 100 creators is there any one that makes actual well designed levels that I can play? Or is there a list with the ID's of the best levels? I'm still new to Mario Maker so I don't quite know my way around it yet.

kinggroin

Banned

Overall good job. Starred

Played you beginner stage. It was a fine level. Not really super easy though. The end was not what O was expecting from super easy. The only thing I did not like is where you jump on all the goombas heads then hit the skull ride. I always dislike when you abruptly have to push no buttons or you die. It just feels eh to me. I would make stuff like that interactive. I died because I jumped the first time. Sorta frustrating.

Starred.

Wait...how did you die on that 2 second ride?!? It literally just snakes you to the left and up and done.

I'll give it a shot and see if I can replicate that so adjustments can be made to keep players busy there.

I'm open to suggestions! Thanks!

Also, not to rag on you, but the final jumps are cake unless this is your first time playing the series :-D
;-)

What about length? Was it too long?

Give me a stage of yours to try. Reciprocation, remember? You can never have enough stars!

Edit: fixed the section you had issues with. Give it another whirl (ID is different so just fine it by finding me from history)

Firey Choices-- 9975-0000-00C3-323B

3J6mvGG.jpg

Could really use some feedback. If anybody else wants to give it a shot, that would be great too!

Ranger X

The majority of the stages I come across are either auto levels or stupid hard just for the sake of it. In the top 100 creators is there any one that makes actual well designed levels that I can play? Or is there a list with the ID's of the best levels? I'm still new to Mario Maker so I don't quite know my way around it yet.

No, there's no good way to find good levels in the game. You have to search the internets.
THERE ARE real good levels that are actually designed out there and levels sharing the classic mario style. I made some too (classic mario style), I invite you to try them:

The Great Tower (ver.2)
This is vertical level. I felt like making this because I wasn't finding any good ones out there except some Gaffer level that I don't remember right now. People say the level is pretty hard but if you careful I don't see the problem. There's no "surprises" per say so if you die its probably you. ;)
7371-0000-008F-2632

WVW69idEHRwgmkrsZM

Lava Mushroom Bridge (ver.2)
Here I wanted to make some traditional level but also something that can be completed by running without ever braking. Since you like design, there's something I never told about the mushrooms in there. They sort of have a color code. There's always a fireball that will come out after a yellow mushroom and the green mushrooms are the ones you need to jump unto if you want to successfully complete the level by running non-stop.
9A92-0000-0091-37A4

WVW69idNaMIg4o0iS9

Hurry up Mario!
This level here is a bit less traditional but still plays like one. Its a maze-ish level where you are short on time. The tension comes from having to find your way out before being out of time. When you get good, you can complete the level with 50 coins as an added challenge.
55D4-0000-0095-A08D

WVW69idhp3coAhRNHb

Frozen (vers.2)
Traditional level here again. I thought there wasn't many decent ice levels so this is my take on the matter. Since I like twists and secrets, there's also a way to complete it entirely while being under star invincibility. And I even give visual cues to know where those stars are. As an added challenge you can also find a couple of secret and gather at least 120 coins in there.
FB2C-0000-00AA-92C7

WVW69ie-VzY6dXwCk-

Subterranean Pipeworks
I always loved the seventh world in SMB3. Its also extremely rare people are making pipes based levels so here's one! Its quite easy but there are some nice visual tricks I pulled off there. I hope you will notice what I mean (was alot of job to make but its fun!). I did hit the maximum pipe transfers allowed in the game by the way lol.
4B00-0000-00AA-FC25

WVW69ifA68E3aJuJGl

You can also try my "Easier With Mushroom" series if you want. Those are levels made on another concept though. Its hard levels that are much easier to complete if you preserve the only mushroom I give you in there. Sorta puzzle-ish levels I guess.

Thud

It's been a while, but I made two levels:

Mario's Last Ride

The life of the last yoshi of the Mushroom Kingdom is in your hands. Will you save or kill yoshi? The choice is yours. Saving is harder, but never unfair :)

WVW69ig2vGI0zdMBUw

44D9-0000-00C2-9ECF

Bowser's Teaparty

Hightea with Bowser in his courtyard. Just some fun after a vine example.

WVW69ig4lKMAow51hp

9A45-0000-00C3-0046

More levels will follow later this week. Nyeh heh heh ... heh.

correojon

Here´s the first batch of videos and reviews, hope you guys find them useful:

Sure. Here is my newest one: 133B-0000-00B8-DCE0
Video: https://youtu.be/S_4Pv3_Fh-0
The title is a bit misleading: Castles & Koopas. The castle part is allright, but I expected much more focus on Koopas as a main mechanic; they are just another type of enemy amongst others.

That said, I didn´t finish this level. It´s the one in which I spent more time as you´ll see in the video (more than 30 minutes!). The ideas behind this level are very good, but I feel the level would work much better if divided into 3 different levels where they have more time to shine and be developed.
The first of this ideas is Goombas on Monty Moles, I thought that was great and was a bit disappointed that it was never used again after the first encounters. This first part is based on action and fast reactions, with lots of enemies and some tricky parts. The last obstacle (fire bars) are tricky because you can´t see them before jumping down and they leave really little safe spaces, I think that part should be toned down a bit. Also, a power up before taking the pipe would be nice, as it´s really easy to loose it before taking it and you have a very long challenge after that. In fact, I missed more powerups through the whole level, as it being so long it´s easy to make a mistake and die, being then forced to repeat a lot of things to get back to where you were. Another good idea was the stationary Hammer Bro, first time I´ve seen this enemy used in a way I liked. Also, the setup with 3 Fire Piranha Plants was very tricky, but in a good way, even though it felt a bit out of place.
I liked a lot how the level had many "mini"-alternate paths to help in some challenges, like vines to avoid the Moles or the alternate path over the Fire Piranha Plants which made passing them much easier. This first part could be expanded a bit and made into it´s own level.

The second part has some nice ideas, but I think there´s a big flaw which seriously harms it: it´s a metroidvania challenge based around powerups with lots of tricky enemies and obstacles. With so many different and tricky challenges it´s easy to take a hit, thus forcing you to backtrack again and again to recover the lost powerup and be able to advance. In the end, this causes a lot of frustration in the player, who will start rushing and making dumb mistakes (as you´ll see in the video). To be honest, if I wasn´t recording the level I would have given up much earlier after so many repetitions. Exploration and high risk is a mix that doesn´t go well together.
The first arrow underneath the Thwomp misleaded me the first time, as usually arrows are used to indicate the player where he must go, but here it was pointing at a hazard. I think it would be better to add some breakable blocks that stop the Thwomp the first time and get rid of the arrow.
One time I killed another Thwomp who was supposed to open a path to a door and that left me stuck, you should redo that part. Also, an arrow here pointing at the door would´ve been great help to not skip the door, though I understand that could be considered part of the puzzle.
There´s a door you have to take which puts you where the first Thwomp is. There´s also a fire bar close and it´s easy to get hit by it after getting out of the door, so you´ll loose the shoe and have to backtrack to get it back. You should just remove it.

This second part could be another level on it´s own. Anyway, the level should have finished after this.

Then, the level went downhill, 2 Mega Bowser Jrs. with moving platforms, moving and flying Fire Piranha Plants, Fire Bars and Moles all at once, then a moving Mega MagiKoopa and Bowser...it felt too much, specially at that point in the level. I tried to take on the challenge but got overwhelmed pretty fast, so then I tried to damage boost through it which only took me so far. Up until this point the whole level was difficult but more or less fair and well designed, but this last part was overkill...you should remove it, seriously. After all the effort I put inot getting through the puzzle part I felt like the designer wasn´t giving it any value and was punishing me instead of giving me a nice reward. All satisfaction turned to frustration in a moment, it´s a huge opportunity lost.

Overall I enjoyed the level, if not I wouldn´t have spent 30 minutes on it, but I think you could reorganize what you´ve done and come up with 2 different and better levels.

DE92-0000-00BF-D586 ("Airship invasion"), third level of a friend of mine ;)
Video: https://youtu.be/bCAY6tPr-wk

This was a nice level, though it felt a bit too simple and even a bit repetitive, I think there are two ships that are almost identical, it even made me doubt if I had warped back somehow. It does nothing wrong, but nothing exceptionally good either, it feels like a "correct" level. I would star it if I found it in 100 Mario challenge because it´s clearly designed with good intentions behind it, but it falls a bit short to be memorable. However, I think it will work really good as an introductory level to the Airship theme.
There was one thing I didn´t like: the first powerup is located right next to a Bill Blaster. That seemed like a way to get the player to die cheaply. But apart from this, the level does nothing wrong.

Simple, correct level that works good as an introduction to the Airship theme, but lacks something to be memorable.

Yeah, exactly! Haha, so I did it again =]
Wow, major overview on my part. Thanks!

I'd love some feedback for Super Dude Bros. II 1-2- (C3E8-0000-00BF-6CD9), thank you (I believe you've already played 1-1, didn't you?).
Video (1-2): https://youtu.be/dZVhBOyiY64
Video (1-1): https://youtu.be/yIf2dIw0T_E
I played Super Dude Bros. II 1-2 and liked it so much that I had to record the first one too :) The first is simpler than the second but it´s still a great level. However the second one is a gorgeous, awesome level! I didn´t understand what was going on for half the level but it was a magnificient chaos. Loved the concept of cannons on Goombas and all the different challenges, really nice mix of puzzles and action. This course gave me huge Contra vibes, is it based on that by any chance?

The level is really good, but it has on top of everything some small details that show all the work and attention to detail that´s behind it. One, the trick with the pipes so you don´t have to backtrack after getting the trampoline, I was dreading I had to repeat that whole part back with the spring and when I saw the pipes sending me through a different way it was really rewarding. Another nice detail is the ending when Mario gets into the chopper after you reach the goal, this is not gameplay related but put a nice ending to an awesome level, very good feeling of closure. The checkpoint right before the boss fight is another nice thing thrown in for the player. The whole level demosntrates time after time that it´s been designed with the player in mind, so he can have as much fun as he can and not have to suffer through any inconvenience. Note that this has nothing to do with making the level easy, impossible to die or removing the challenge; this course does none of these things.

There were some nice secrets and I´m aware Ive left out a lot of secret areas, but I want to give this level some time before replaying it so it can surprise me again instead of having everything fresh in mi mind. And I think that´s the best compliment you can get, that I really want to replay it again.

GREAT work and very recommended.

That´s all for today, I will review more tomorrow. but in the meantime, why don´t you give a look at my 2 newest levels?

RtDL6: Goomba´s Quantic Prison (new version, just uploaded): E7A1-0000-00C2-7E62
RtDL6: Goomba´s Quantic Prison said:
0DOjOmA.png

Oh no! Yoshi´s been captured! The evil Dr. Goomba has taken him to his Quantic Prison, a misterious place located between time and space that no one has escaped yet.
Will Mario be able to save Yoshi? Or will he also get trapped in this mindboggling prison...FoReVeR???

RtDL5: Bomb Battle in Sky Bridge (new version, uploaded some hours ago): AF79-0000-00C1-E338
iFoGqPh.png

Mario is taking back Dinosaur Land! However, Bowser is not going to allow this to continue. He´s sent Koopa the Crazy Bomber to Sky Bridge to protect this important location from Mario. But this plan might backfire, as Koopa just wants to blow everything up! Once he finishes there may not even be a Sky Bridge to protect...
Careful mario, don´t fall in Koopa´s traps!

Wait...how did you die on that 2 second ride?!? It literally just snakes you to the left and up and done.
I jumped. As the donut block fell.
I'll give it a shot and see if I can replicate that so adjustments can be made to keep players busy there.

I'm open to suggestions! Thanks!

Also, not to rag on you, but the final jumps are cake unless this is your first time playing the series :-D
;-)

Most of the difficult levels in this thread I beat without too much issue or I could have beaten but couldn't be bothered to trial and error. People in this thread however vastly overestimate the skill level of the average Mario player. The level is not super easy vs the skill of the average person. The level was easy if your bar of skill is 100% completion of every Mario platformer ever made (ie me or many others in the thread). I did not think the level was difficult at all. I do however know that labeling a level super easy and then having a chasm of bounce jumps like that is not exactly what I classify as simple. Simple would be 90% of the 1-1s in this thread. I hope that clarify's what I meant. I only say this because a lot of people seem to be confused when their completion rates are so low. Most of the time its sheer over estimation of people's skill and underestimation of how well you know your own level.

What about length?
I thought it was a good length. Not too long, not too short. My favourite part was where all the pipes were with the coins indicating safe zones. Good implementation of a learning mechanic.

Give me a stage of yours to try. Reciprocation, remember? You can never have enough stars!

Edit: fixed the section you had issues with. Give it another whirl (ID is different so just fine it by finding me from history)

If you delete a level it no longer shows in other players history.

This would be my newest level
Welcome to Cloudship Galaxy
EC4C-0000-00A0-5952

kinggroin

Banned
I jumped. As the donut block fell.

Most of the difficult levels in this thread I beat without too much issue or I could have beaten but couldn't be bothered to trial and error. People in this thread however vastly overestimate the skill level of the average Mario player. The level is not super easy vs the skill of the average person. The level was easy if your bar of skill is 100% completion of every Mario platformer ever made (ie me or many others in the thread). I did not think the level was difficult at all. I do however know that labeling a level super easy and then having a chasm of bounce jumps like that is not exactly what I classify as simple. Simple would be 90% of the 1-1s in this thread. I hope that clarify's what I meant. I only say this because a lot of people seem to be confused when their completion rates are so low. Most of the time its sheer over estimation of people's skill and underestimation of how well you know your own level.

I thought it was a good length. Not too long, not too short. My favourite part was where all the pipes were with the coins indicating safe zones. Good implementation of a learning mechanic.

If you delete a level it no longer shows in other players history.

This would be my newest level
Welcome to Cloudship Galaxy
EC4C-0000-00A0-5952

Thanks for the clarification! Yeah, I figured super easy for sharing in this thread. My low completion rates don't shock me; I've learned quickly not overestimate the skills level of your average Mario gamer.

My goal is to work towards eventually churning out slightly complex levs, that are still manageable by the aforementioned Mario gamers.

Gonna try yours and get back to you

Edit: Starred.

No complaints honestly. Was a crazy, cold, space odyssey. First try I was playing it safe, grabbing every power up, then I got a feel for the flow and just ran through it as a small Mario. Surprised how well "run-n-gun" style played out on a level like this. Love how difficulty ramps up with each area.

Bravo dude.

Neki

It's been a while, but I made two levels:

Mario's Last Ride

The life of the last yoshi of the Mushroom Kingdom is in your hands. Will you save or kill yoshi? The choice is yours. Saving is harder, but never unfair :)

WVW69ig2vGI0zdMBUw

44D9-0000-00C2-9ECF

Bowser's Teaparty

Hightea with Bowser in his courtyard. Just some fun after a vine example.

WVW69ig4lKMAow51hp

9A45-0000-00C3-0046

More levels will follow later this week. Nyeh heh heh ... heh.

The first level layout was too confusing, you go all the way right and find out you need a pow block so you have to go all the way left and you can't use Yoshi for the vine parts. One of the vines on the left can also not appear if you hold right when entering the underground. You spend the whole level without Yoshi and then you use the pow block and you only kill one muncher, so I just abandoned Yoshi. It was a good concept but confusing and a little too much running around.

JC Sera

re-uploaded my level on my account this time, with a few tweaks to prevent cheesing but make it more forgiving
Bombé Alaska Jail [HARD]
ID: 4C5F-0000-00C3-9C1D

And made this one
Why Do they need wings [MEDIUM]
ID: 5B0B-0000-00C3-A010
Also going to name my levels with the difficulty in the title
if you play my levels and think the difficulty rating is inaccurate, give me a shout

The title is a bit misleading: Castles & Koopas. The castle part is allright, but I expected much more focus on Koopas as a main mechanic; they are just another type of enemy amongst others.
@correojon I think the creator said the name Castles & Koopas was a reference to D&D IIRC

Yeah. Everything was based around the assumption that I was calling the level Dungeons & Dragons at first- the first part of the level are goblins and an ogre or whatever, the middle part is the dungeons and you see some vague creatures probably related to dragons (as well as obligatory undead), and the last part has the dragons. The name Castles & Koopas is mostly to dodge copyright. If it weren't for the theme I wouldn't have parts based around the Bowsers at all and yes each part could be its own level but I felt like it was supposed to represent an adventure that escalates.

D&D the name should also explain the Thwomp trap. It's the Dungeon Master being a jerk, heh.

The last part has such a huge difficulty spike because by that point you're so decked in so many strong powerups that, if used properly can trivialize the rest of the level.

EDIT: nvm just watched some more of the vieo and you figured out the Kuribo's shoe can kill boos

EDIT 2:
There´s a door you have to take which puts you where the first Thwomp is. There´s also a fire bar close and it´s easy to get hit by it after getting out of the door, so you´ll loose the shoe and have to backtrack to get it back. You should just remove it.
Actually I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get hit by the firebar after entering the door, because just like how the door resets the Thwomp you need to progress, it also resets the firebar to its default position, which is set away from you.

Someone a few weeks back posted a great example of implementing a halfway pipe that's hidden. At the risk of sounding a little self promoting, play my level a few posts up. I incorporate a halfway system I think you will find useful.

I played your level and wound up not needing to use the halfway system. I checked the editor to see how you set it up. Super sneaky! I never noticed it the first time through! The level was pretty fun as well, and very aesthetically pleasing.

Anyway, I went and made a boss practice stage for MEGAfied like I said I would. If you don't feel like going through the whole levels again, you can use this to squeeze your way to the end. I hope this helps somewhat until the day I start incorporating passwords into my levels. I've updated my original post with the new code.

MEGAfied: Boss Practice Chambers -- F035-0000-00D7-DCC3

CrisKre

Wow, I finally managed to scan over 40 pages of NeoGAF Super Mario Maker stages. This thread moved FAST. I starred and commented tons of stages on Miiverse, my Mii name is Emmanuel (and my NID Simbabbad, my Mii is the same as the one on the level cards below). Scroll down to see my comments on the most recent stages here.

--

I myself published two new levels from my "Old School Super Mario" series. After five levels with a focus on exploration and puzzles, I felt I needed to go back to simpler, purer mechanics. A lot of Super Mario Maker levels are more or less: "do exactly this or you're stuck/dead", while classic Super Mario Bros. stages are more about improvising your own solution in a rather open playground, with different solutions and possible play styles. I kept that in mind a lot while making those levels:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Plains%2529.png

Old School Super Mario (Plains) is actually the first level I've uploaded, but here revamped A LOT. After more experience with Super Mario Maker, it became apparent to me the level both wasn't close enough to classic Super Mario Bros. logic and wasn't interesting enough, so I revised it completely. It was actually quite instructive to create varied and challenging situations from very simple mechanics: the level is in line with classic mechanics, but adapted to the physics, scrolling management and enemy behaviour of Super Mario Maker, with a blend of three level archetypes (including an underground) from the original game.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Cliffs%2529.png

Old School Super Mario (Ciffs), like the plains level, blends together three types of level from the original game: cliff levels, "cheep cheeps under a bridge" levels, and a touch of water levels. It worked so surprisingly well (IMO) in producing a fun level while staying in line with traditional design, that it made me work harder on my revamp of the plains level. The way cheep cheeps are managed in Super Mario Maker can create pretty funny situations.

--

My "recently" published other levels:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BTopsy-turvy%2BWaluigi%2B%2528Plains%2529.gif

Topsy-turvy Waluigi is heavily inspired by Wario Land, with a mix of action, platforming, exploration and puzzles, and with a gimmick: when you take a door, it takes you to the "other side" of the level, to see what's "behind" the backdrops and land areas. Switch wisely between both sides to reach the ending pole.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BWorld%2B%2528monde%2529%2By%2Bcant%2Bmetroid%2Bshoot.png

The "y cant metroid shoot?" series offers four levels, each inspired by a Metroid (NES) area: Brinstar is focused on classic Metroid gameplay (exploration and puzzles), Kraid is simpler and has more action, Ridley is all about secrets, and Tourian is a straight action level where you battle against Metroids and Mother Brain.

You can check my other levels in:

- My (French) blog
- Nintendo Life
- MarioMakerHub

--

Now, feedback time:

BOMB Ballet! -- CEC1-0000-0082-1E2F - Nice level, but there is no powerup given before the boss (which kills you very easily), and when it does kill you, you don't feel like redoing everything.

Got GUTS? -- B8B2-0000-0082-1F30 - Like the previous level, I liked it but the boss (or mid-boss?) kills you quickly/randomly, and it's discouraging.

Close CUT! -- AF83-0000-0082-2084 - I'll sound like a broken record, but I gave up at the boss. This time you can apprehend/understand it from a safe spot, which is nice, but it's so cramped you can get killed very easily.

Molehills,Mushrooms and Munchers F3DA-0000-00B7-D016 - I loved it! Great pacing, multiple strategies and routes, hidden powerups... lately I'm a sucker for traditional design.

Holy Monty Mole-y grotto trails D8D0-0000-00B7-1278 - I agree with the starting point comment: the level is long and mostly too busy, I liked it but it's too hard to foresee hazards. Therefore, when you die, it doesn't feel like it's your fault/that you could do better next time.

The Infamous Red Shell Heist (B7D7-0000-00B9-07BF) - I'm not really into "die & retry" levels in Super Mario Maker, but I completed yours, it works very well. It's not too long, flows well, action is intuitive, and when you die, you feel like you won't make the same mistake next time. Maybe some Thwomps are a bit too close to the player (the part where the blue ghost train connects with a Thwomp alignment feels a bit random, in particular). Well done.

Patience Panic!? (9C3C-0000-00BA-A0C2) - Autoscrolling levels, ice blocks, bob-ombs and water levels aren't things I'm particularly fond of, but I loved your level, it flows perfectly.

Luigi's Mansion - Well done thematically, but action is a bit bland IMO.

In water, no one can hear you.. DACE-0000-00BA-D7CD - Not my sort of level, but well made, nothing bad sticks out.

That's all for today!

Finally played your levels! Fun!

Plains starts familiar but has a nice difficulty spike as it progressed, but I really loved cliffs. I could tell enemy placement was very thought out and it was a blast. Decent challenge but extremely fair.

CrisKre

My latest little adventure. Make your way through the caves and the depths of the ocean, finding an old sunken treasure and ultimately a way out.

Would appreciate any feedback! I'll play through some more of these recent GAF stages soon. Thanks!

Captain Bowser's Sunken Treasure
AB66-0000-00C3-0B4F

WVW69ig4ydgYtn3qlI

Had a lot of fun here! Starred and commented.

I think you might like my levels, i do long intricate levels like this.

If you can try:

58E7-0000-00BF-B4E8

I also think you might like my other level Thwomp wood chomp-ing facility.

Xemnas89

No, there's no good way to find good levels in the game. You have to search the internets.
THERE ARE real good levels that are actually designed out there and levels sharing the classic mario style. I made some too (classic mario style), I invite you to try them:

The Great Tower (ver.2)
This is vertical level. I felt like making this because I wasn't finding any good ones out there except some Gaffer level that I don't remember right now. People say the level is pretty hard but if you careful I don't see the problem. There's no "surprises" per say so if you die its probably you. ;)
7371-0000-008F-2632

WVW69idEHRwgmkrsZM

Lava Mushroom Bridge (ver.2)
Here I wanted to make some traditional level but also something that can be completed by running without ever braking. Since you like design, there's something I never told about the mushrooms in there. They sort of have a color code. There's always a fireball that will come out after a yellow mushroom and the green mushrooms are the ones you need to jump unto if you want to successfully complete the level by running non-stop.
9A92-0000-0091-37A4

WVW69idNaMIg4o0iS9

Hurry up Mario!
This level here is a bit less traditional but still plays like one. Its a maze-ish level where you are short on time. The tension comes from having to find your way out before being out of time. When you get good, you can complete the level with 50 coins as an added challenge.
55D4-0000-0095-A08D

WVW69idhp3coAhRNHb

Frozen (vers.2)
Traditional level here again. I thought there wasn't many decent ice levels so this is my take on the matter. Since I like twists and secrets, there's also a way to complete it entirely while being under star invincibility. And I even give visual cues to know where those stars are. As an added challenge you can also find a couple of secret and gather at least 120 coins in there.
FB2C-0000-00AA-92C7

WVW69ie-VzY6dXwCk-

Subterranean Pipeworks
I always loved the seventh world in SMB3. Its also extremely rare people are making pipes based levels so here's one! Its quite easy but there are some nice visual tricks I pulled off there. I hope you will notice what I mean (was alot of job to make but its fun!). I did hit the maximum pipe transfers allowed in the game by the way lol.
4B00-0000-00AA-FC25

WVW69ifA68E3aJuJGl

You can also try my "Easier With Mushroom" series if you want. Those are levels made on another concept though. Its hard levels that are much easier to complete if you preserve the only mushroom I give you in there. Sorta puzzle-ish levels I guess.

Thank you I did enjoy playing through your levels. I'll have to dig through this topic to find some other good ones. On a different note I do wish this game let you use checkpoints. I've played some longer levels where I die late in the level and feel no motivation to start from the beginning again.

Killua

The Infamous Red Shell Heist (B7D7-0000-00B9-07BF)

Killua

Wow, I finally managed to scan over 40 pages of NeoGAF Super Mario Maker stages. This thread moved FAST. I starred and commented tons of stages on Miiverse, my Mii name is Emmanuel (and my NID Simbabbad, my Mii is the same as the one on the level cards below). Scroll down to see my comments on the most recent stages here.

The Infamous Red Shell Heist (B7D7-0000-00B9-07BF) - I'm not really into "die & retry" levels in Super Mario Maker, but I completed yours, it works very well. It's not too long, flows well, action is intuitive, and when you die, you feel like you won't make the same mistake next time. Maybe some Thwomps are a bit too close to the player (the part where the blue ghost train connects with a Thwomp alignment feels a bit random, in particular). Well done.

That's all for today!

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate that. I enjoy getting feed back from my levels. I'll definitely be checking out your levels and following you too.

JC Sera

Bombé Alaska Jail [HARD] ID: 4C5F-0000-00C3-9C1D

I forgot to do this sorry @_@

R00bot

There are some truly wonderful looking levels in here! I'm looking forward to playing some right now :)

Here are my newest levels, one of them hasn't even been finished by anyone yet.

How to Save a Life

A429-0000-00BD-7C9E

A short, simple level I made around the idea of the level (kind of) falling into place as you play.

Where The Yoshmen Are

90BA-0000-0097-9FFD

A level based around exploiting some of Yoshi's characteristics. Kinda hard but not too much.

The Crushinator

9A2C-0000-00B8-6E69

Run away from the crushinator!
Less simple, more difficult and butt-clenchy.
Yes, it's named after her.
the-crushinator-91.png

JC Sera

Btw cool thing I saw today
creators using staccing to "root" enemies

two examples where:
a hammer bro on a muncher, still hammer hell but doesn't hop around

the other one was even more interesting, an enemy stacked on an underground monty mole. Until you get close, the enemy on top just looks stuck on the spot, then you approch and boom the mole jumps out

Btw cool thing I saw today
creators using staccing to "root" enemies

two examples where:
a hammer bro on a muncher, still hammer hell but doesn't hop around

the other one was even more interesting, an enemy stacked on an underground monty mole. Until you get close, the enemy on top just looks stuck on the spot, then you approch and boom the mole jumps out
Yeah, my level does both of these things. Stacking is kind of underrated in the game (a lot of new creators tend to abuse it leading to the impression it's bad design).

Neki

So I played a bunch of levels and starred them, DudeBros and bob-omb of ice and fire were probably my favourites of the last page.

My latest stage features the ability to tackle two levels in any order, a checkpoint system and overall Rosalina positivity. It's quite a long gauntlet though. Found a picture and new description too.

Traveller of the Cosmos

Rosalina wakes up to discover that she is lost in an unknown galaxy. Traverse through fiery depths, icy caverns, metallic corridors and overgrown jungles as Rosalina races against the clock to make it back to her ship.

5B6A-0000-00C8-8391

4gkzXwT.jpg

JC Sera

Both the stationary Hammer Bro and the "Goomba decoy" were in the level correojon played, it's just at the first sections of the level of the video. You also don't have to play the level if you don't want, the examples of stacking are right in the vid.
gdi
thats where I probably saw it
if so, like really good work it was an idea that really grabbed me in creativity
I've watched Gamegrumps and vinnie playing mario maker today, so its all sorta blurred together sorry
also that level looks super hard :')

correojon

Yeah. Everything was based around the assumption that I was calling the level Dungeons & Dragons at first- the first part of the level are goblins and an ogre or whatever, the middle part is the dungeons and you see some vague creatures probably related to dragons (as well as obligatory undead), and the last part has the dragons. The name Castles & Koopas is mostly to dodge copyright. If it weren't for the theme I wouldn't have parts based around the Bowsers at all and yes each part could be its own level but I felt like it was supposed to represent an adventure that escalates.

D&D the name should also explain the Thwomp trap. It's the Dungeon Master being a jerk, heh.

The last part has such a huge difficulty spike because by that point you're so decked in so many strong powerups that, if used properly can trivialize the rest of the level.

EDIT: nvm just watched some more of the vieo and you figured out the Kuribo's shoe can kill boos

EDIT 2:
Actually I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get hit by the firebar after entering the door, because just like how the door resets the Thwomp you need to progress, it also resets the firebar to its default position, which is set away from you.
Oh yeah I forgot I´d read about the title. I don´t think you´ll run into any copyright trouble if you just named it "Dungeons & Dragons", but anyway it was just a small remark as it kinda surprised me.

About the last part: What´s wrong in letting the player stomp through that part of the level? You ultimately want him to have fun, after such demanding sections like part 1 and specially 2 it was a great moment to just let him steamroll through the final part. It would have provided that feeling you get in Metroid games when you go back to an initial part after upgrading and can destroy anything, it makes you feel powerful and gives value to what you´ve achieved. I really think the pacing was asking for a less demanding section there or at least something that didn´t tell you: "see everything you went through and all those cool powerups you got? Well, it was all for nothing".

I first I doubted if the shoe could kill the boos and the problem is that this kind of stage isn´t fit to try things. If I tried to kill a Boo and failed it would mean having to backktrack again to the Kuribo Shoe expender. Exploration invites to try things, jump everywhere, even down cliffs, but here the powerups are required to advance and the setting is so hostile that you just get into a careful mindset to preserve them, thus making exploration/testing a secondary activity avoidable if possible.

About the firebar, I´d swear I got hit by it. Once you know it´s position if you move right after getting out from the door it can´t reach you, but if you take that door for the first time or just forget about it I think it can reach the other side of the wall and get you. It´s an example of the mix of action and puzzles that don´t mesh well together in this level: when you take a door for the first time you don´t know where it´s going to take you, and this one puts you in the air in an enclosed space next to a Thwomp, but you´re only given a moment to address the whole situation as the firebar will get you soon...which means having to backtrack to the shoe pipe again. It felt cheap.

I uploaded 2 more videos overnight:
This one: A703-0000-0052-40AF
Made it yesterday
Video: https://youtu.be/X0hRgDq3Xkw

I enjoyed this one a lot, awesome level! It takes one simple enemy (Thwomps) and uses it in cool ways during the course, never feeling repetitive and always proposing cool and interesting challenges at every step. Standard Nintendo design done really well. Very clever idea mixing one way doors and Thwomps: sometimes you had to go under them, others over them, sometime you had to rush, others wait. Sometimes you slide down a wall hiding in the precise moment, others you have to take the Thwomps with you to open the path...The author understands the main mechanic perfectly and it shows. Even with how limited Thwomps are it´s amazing the many different uses they show in this level. And that´s without using any "attachments" (wings, tracks, mushrooms...).

At some poitns cannons start appearing, which provide an horizontal (or even diagonal) component to the verticality of Thwomps. They are the perfect complement and once more show the high quality design of this course, there´s nothing to add or to take away, everything is perfectly put together. The challenges are correctly separated so you can take on them individually and give each one it´s time to shine, the pacing is just perfect...

There are somethings I didn´t understand why they were there:
  • There are some breakable blocks on the floor in some part (where the big horizontal cannon is), what are they for?
  • Also, there´s a door that just traps you, but you can just take it back to exit.
  • What´s the purpose of the breakable blocks just before the goal?

I think I didn´t find all the secrets, so I´ll be giving this a replay in the next days. As I just said to Jocchan on my previous post, I think that´s the biggets praise that can be given and it is truly deserved. I´ll be following you from now on ;)

I replayed it later (no video on that, sorry) and left you a comment on Miiverse on a place where I got stuck. I think I found all the secrets, it was very cool as the stage took you through different paths and it made it feel like a different level, very good work in the level layout. Replaying it has only made me like it more :)

Conclusion: AWESOME level, Nintendo-like design, clever and varied challenges evolving from a simple mechanic. You´ll never look at Thwomps with the same eyes after playing this level.

Would love some feedback on DK COUNTRY NES (C06F-0000-00C1-BF63) if possible. ^^
Video: https://youtu.be/ZYEftMlIYbw
This level is an adaptation fo DK´s kart stages, however it doesn´t work very well. It´s too simple and most of the time you can just stand still and let the moving platforms take you through the level. In one attempt I even let a Koopa hit me (sometimes the same one wouldn´t) just to demonstrate this. It may even be better this than to risk jumping and falling to death. Coins are, for the most part, the only thing that encourages the player to leave the safety of the platform, but they are a reward too poor to get the player to risk his life.

Also, the slow pace of the platform and the instant death (as most of the stage is just a bottomless pit) makes it a bit tedious to replay it; You just have to wait without doing anything to get back to where you died and try the jump again on a win everything-loose everything challenge.

I think you should consider using bigger platforms (you already have the setup for making snake platforms) and setting up more challenges so the stage becoms more active. Also, consider putting a floor so if the player falls he can attempt the jumps again without having to get through everything again. The challenge won´t become easier as it remains the same, but you´ll be just lessenning the punishment and keeping the player on the level, which will encourage him to retry each challenge as many times as necessary.
Take a look at my stage Spiny´s Underground Garden (3BCC-0000-0096-8023) to see what I mean: if you fail a jump you fall to the bottom, where you can get a Mushroom and try again. In some places the bottom floor isn´t even visible from where the player comes, so the player first thinks it´s a bottomless challenge. The difficulty is the same as it isn´t affected by the floor being there or not and even the first time the player may think it´s an instant death obstacle, so there´s really no difference in that regard, but it´s much more player-friendly.

Pending to record (if I skipped your post please let me know):
1-3: The road to Fungitown, ID 3B27-0000-00BB-B1FF
Hopefully, you can offer your feedback on it.
P.S. It's a level in my own New Super Mario Bros. M series, thus, alongside the sub-challenges mentioned at the beginning of the level, there's a main one, which is getting all 5 1Ups hidden in the level (and there's always one of them more secret than the others).
Run along, run along... (2ADF-0000-00B0-7255)
Thanks
Lonely Lagoon - (6785-0000-00BA-E591)
They say that empty ocean is the scariest. Watch out for the Chomp Sharks.
Super Mario Rugby (0Bee-0000-00C2-CC0F).

Nice, man.
Glacier Cocktail
ID: 9E99-0000-00B3-4A19

Firey Choices-- 9975-0000-00C3-323B
Could really use some feedback. If anybody else wants to give it a shot, that would be great too!

The Infamous Red Shell Heist (B7D7-0000-00B9-07BF)

Bombé Alaska Jail [HARD] ID: 4C5F-0000-00C3-9C1D

I forgot to do this sorry @_@

As always, feedback would be very welcome on these levels, I´ve made many changes on both of them:
RtDL6: Goomba´s Quantic Prison (new version, just uploaded): E7A1-0000-00C2-7E62
RtDL5: Bomb Battle in Sky Bridge (new version, uploaded some hours ago): AF79-0000-00C1-E338

correojon

gdi
thats where I probably saw it
if so, like really good work it was an idea that really grabbed me in creativity
I've watched Gamegrumps and vinnie playing mario maker today, so its all sorta blurred together sorry
also that level looks super hard :')

Those were very clever ideas, also the 3 Piranha Plants setup and the whole "alternate-solutions" layout in all challenges with vines that allowed you to take them in different ways. I must insist that I found that part very interesting and that KittenMaster should make a whole level revolving around the mole+enemy mechanic.

JC Sera

Those were very clever ideas, also the 3 Piranha Plants setup and the whole "alternate-solutions" layout in all challenges with vines that allowed you to take them in different ways. I must insist that I found that part very interesting and that KittenMaster should make a whole level revolving around the mole+enemy mechanic.
I second this

btw I've followed you kittenmaster :)

About the last part: What´s wrong in letting the player stomp through that part of the level?
You kind of can. The Kuribo's shoe can safely bounce on Bowser Jr. even when he's spinning around, I remember breezing through the "dragon bridge" part with the Kuribo's shoe in one round of testing. I also made the upward climb a lot easier from what it originally was to make it less likely you'll lose powerups there (and also to improve the feeling of escalating dangers).

Anyway, future levels I make won't nearly be as long and will go back to tighter concepts because the D&D theme kind of called for a variety of content and certain expectations of what would be in the level.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mpl90's random feedback time

"Rules": I play random levels from the last page / pages and I give feedback on them, both here and on Miiverse, which means you get a star anyway (it's a difficult world we live in, too many people are stingy with stars, yadda yadda yadda :p ).

So...let's go!

Only a Spin, Hop and a Jump Away (5525-0000-00BD-7ABF)

I can see this is a well crafted skill-based level, where you have to carefully master hops, jumps and spins. Despite the very, very harsh difficulty, it's quite fun, since it's sort of fair, it's your fault if you fail most of the time. Unfortunately, despite trying, what, 100+ times, I just can't go through the underwater section. Maybe
making the passages underwater one unit larger would make it slightly easier while not lowering the difficulty too much, just the frustration.
Hopefully, I can complete it in the future. Starred anyway.

58E7-0000-00BF-B4E8

That was a very intricate, but very fun level. Very good layout and both neat and interesting mechanics / puzzles. One thing that stands out to me (for whatever reason) is
how you placed platforms in the segment after you get the spiny helmet in a way that, if the player casually breaks the initial ? Block, he/she can still go up with the other platforms. Nice way to give alternatives
Great job!

Those Mischeivous Boos: 8900-0000-00BA-2210

Neat but fine level. Good layout, it flows well. Short, but not so short, it seems the right length for it. I couldn't find the 3 1 Ups, though. I'm going to replay it in order to find them.

That's it for now. As always, if you want to check my levels and give feedbacks, here's my page on MarioMakerHub.com

Top Bottom