• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah, my level does both of these things. Stacking is kind of underrated in the game (a lot of new creators tend to abuse it leading to the impression it's bad design).

Btw cool thing I saw today
creators using staccing to "root" enemies

two examples where:
a hammer bro on a muncher, still hammer hell but doesn't hop around

the other one was even more interesting, an enemy stacked on an underground monty mole. Until you get close, the enemy on top just looks stuck on the spot, then you approch and boom the mole jumps out

Agreed. One I've done is putting Magikoopas on dry bones to prevent them from warping.

kinggroin

Banned
Mpl90's random feedback time

"Rules": I play random levels from the last page / pages and I give feedback on them, both here and on Miiverse, which means you get a star anyway (it's a difficult world we live in, too many people are stingy with stars, yadda yadda yadda :p ).

So...let's go!

Only a Spin, Hop and a Jump Away (5525-0000-00BD-7ABF)

I can see this is a well crafted skill-based level, where you have to carefully master hops, jumps and spins. Despite the very, very harsh difficulty, it's quite fun, since it's sort of fair, it's your fault if you fail most of the time. Unfortunately, despite trying, what, 100+ times, I just can't go through the underwater section. Maybe
making the passages underwater one unit larger would make it slightly easier while not lowering the difficulty too much, just the frustration.
Hopefully, I can complete it in the future. Starred anyway.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah that was an almost unfairly brutal level that's going to require mastery of the spin jump maneuver and spider-man level reflexes. It was built for a specific twitch streamer (Giygasblues) that excels in those mechanics.

The water area is going to be scrapped since it doesn't feel as fair as the land section (so damn hard to make water levels). Just comes off as obnoxious.

I'll repost when the edit is complete, but I strongly encourage you to try Run Along, Run Along in my uploads for a much tighter (and much easier).

In the meantime, I'll check your newest levels out and comment.

BowieZ

Banned
Let me just say that playing this game for the first time and unlocking all the sets of tools on Day 1 when I had time off work will go down as one of my fondest gaming memories ever.

I can say that in all confidence ;..)

jarosh

Today I've uploaded a followup to Super Dude Bros. II Chapter 1-1.

Super Dude Bros.™ II Chapter 1-2: There Will Be B.R.Oil - (C3E8-0000-00BF-6CD9)

qyHT6A6.png

- Official Dudebro™ II level, picks up right where 1-1 ended (so it's suggested to play both in order, possibly one after the other)
- Loosely based on the latter half the game's first chapter, so it may or may not feature some spoilers
- Uses a simplified version of Ragnarok's checkpoint system
- Three hidden 1ups as usual

Feedback would be lovely!

This is probably your best level so far. Really enjoyed it! Good stuff.

I decided to test and see if that troll level I saw on stream would make a decent password-based checkpoint system.

EDIT: lmao, no more need for this level. Gonna delete it ASAP.

B_Bech

I haven't posted stages for you guys in a while, so I suppose I'll do a big roundup of all my recent stages. One of these in particular is a must play, and I think one of my most fully realized puzzle stages to date.

Magicant
(98F2-0000-00BF-74A1)
WVW69ignRF8yDYujSW

Type: Music/ Autoscroll/ platforming
Difficulty: Light

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
(7E21-0000-00BC-736D)

WVW69ignSYY5fqpVfl

Type: Puzzle
Difficulty: Hard

The TRUE 7 Boss Rush!
(1C8D-0000-00B9-BE15)

WVW69ignhdo3ctmWv6

Type: Gauntlet
Difficulty: Expert

Baby Bayonetta's Bitty Booty
(C05C-0000-00B9-8BED)

WVW69ignU88Z5_3CQR

Type: Character Action
Difficulty: Normal

Sparkle Shine Mine
(80A5-0000-00B4-1500)

WVW69ignjeseB-9DHQ

Type: On Rails
Difficulty: Expert

Cloudy with a Chance of Mushroom
(D1A7-0000-00B3-989E)

WVW69igny1M9oZZ3Dz

Type: Platformer
Difficulty: Easy

Shovel Knight: Pridemoor Keep
(4E89-0000-00A7-2236)

WVW69ign3hcBYpVImF

Type: Homage
Difficulty: Normal

Can anyone give me some feedback on these stages? Also, I'm in the mood to play a ton of stages, so I'm going to try to make a dent on this huge GAF backlog I've compiled. Anyone with a pressing need for feedback that wants reactions on their stages right now?

kinggroin

Banned
Can anyone give me some feedback on these stages? Also, I'm in the mood to play a ton of stages, so I'm going to try to make a dent on this huge GAF backlog I've compiled. Anyone with a pressing need for feedback that wants reactions on their stages right now?

I'll try em tonight

Finally got the game. Just got the Airship Set and am having a ton of fun. I don't really understand how they thought the online component was okay the way it is. It's so simple with no filters or tags that the only people on top are youtubers that make obnoxious levels. Also why would they not let you type the name of the stage you want? Why a string of numbers? Lastly why doesn't it automatically follow users you have as friends or follow? It's already integrated in miiverse, what's the problem? Have they said anything about an update?

Lastly, any levels from you guys that really stand out that I should play?

If you could give my latest a shot --Firey Choices-- 9975-0000-00C3-323B

I'd really appreciate it. Will give some of your levels a try tonight.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Why is it called Dude Bros. II btw?
Because sequels are better than original IPs, of course ;)

Video (1-2): https://youtu.be/dZVhBOyiY64
Video (1-1): https://youtu.be/yIf2dIw0T_E
I played Super Dude Bros. II 1-2 and liked it so much that I had to record the first one too :) The first is simpler than the second but it´s still a great level. However the second one is a gorgeous, awesome level! I didn´t understand what was going on for half the level but it was a magnificient chaos. Loved the concept of cannons on Goombas and all the different challenges, really nice mix of puzzles and action. This course gave me huge Contra vibes, is it based on that by any chance?

The level is really good, but it has on top of everything some small details that show all the work and attention to detail that´s behind it. One, the trick with the pipes so you don´t have to backtrack after getting the trampoline, I was dreading I had to repeat that whole part back with the spring and when I saw the pipes sending me through a different way it was really rewarding. Another nice detail is the ending when Mario gets into the chopper after you reach the goal, this is not gameplay related but put a nice ending to an awesome level, very good feeling of closure. The checkpoint right before the boss fight is another nice thing thrown in for the player. The whole level demosntrates time after time that it´s been designed with the player in mind, so he can have as much fun as he can and not have to suffer through any inconvenience. Note that this has nothing to do with making the level easy, impossible to die or removing the challenge; this course does none of these things.

There were some nice secrets and I´m aware Ive left out a lot of secret areas, but I want to give this level some time before replaying it so it can surprise me again instead of having everything fresh in mi mind. And I think that´s the best compliment you can get, that I really want to replay it again.

GREAT work and very recommended.
Oh wow, thanks for the glowing review! *blushes*

The Contra vibes both levels gave are probably a byproduct of them being based on a 2D run and gun/Mega Man/Metroidvania hybrid, something I tried to preserve on a smaller scale while translating it to a different gameplay.

The most distinctive part in 1-2 is probably the (huge spoiler!!!)
"sort-of-hallucination" sequence
. I actually used comments to give it more context through dialogue (and a joke), but hopefully its purpose was clear enough even with comments disabled. The pipe trickery it's built on probably deserves a whole post to describe it in bigger detail, as I think it could open up a lot of interesting possibilities for other levels as well.
About secrets, 1-2 features three hidden 1up mushrooms like almost all my levels, plus this time
a simple alternate exit
. So, if you want to play it again (and yeah, it is the best compliment one can get), you're covered :)

That´s all for today, I will review more tomorrow. but in the meantime, why don´t you give a look at my 2 newest levels?

RtDL6: Goomba´s Quantic Prison (new version, just uploaded): E7A1-0000-00C2-7E62

RtDL5: Bomb Battle in Sky Bridge (new version, uploaded some hours ago): AF79-0000-00C1-E338
Yesterday I played the first two levels in your series (both pretty good, especially RtDL2 which I think was a great take on dual worlds!), and I'm pretty sure I've already played the wiggler tree one. I'll get to these as well :)

This is probably your best level so far. Really enjoyed it! Good stuff.
Thanks man, much appreciated! :)

EDIT:
I wouldn't mind some impressions on some of mine, if you feel like it!
Here's the whole list, but please feel free to choose whatever seems more interesting: http://i.imgur.com/edlNP6U.png

CrisKre

Mpl90's random feedback time

"Rules": I play random levels from the last page / pages and I give feedback on them, both here and on Miiverse, which means you get a star anyway (it's a difficult world we live in, too many people are stingy with stars, yadda yadda yadda :p ).

So...let's go!

Only a Spin, Hop and a Jump Away (5525-0000-00BD-7ABF)

I can see this is a well crafted skill-based level, where you have to carefully master hops, jumps and spins. Despite the very, very harsh difficulty, it's quite fun, since it's sort of fair, it's your fault if you fail most of the time. Unfortunately, despite trying, what, 100+ times, I just can't go through the underwater section. Maybe
making the passages underwater one unit larger would make it slightly easier while not lowering the difficulty too much, just the frustration.
Hopefully, I can complete it in the future. Starred anyway.

A bob-omb of ice and fire

58E7-0000-00BF-B4E8

That was a very intricate, but very fun level. Very good layout and both neat and interesting mechanics / puzzles. One thing that stands out to me (for whatever reason) is
how you placed platforms in the segment after you get the spiny helmet in a way that, if the player casually breaks the initial ? Block, he/she can still go up with the other platforms. Nice way to give alternatives
Great job!

Those Mischeivous Boos: 8900-0000-00BA-2210

Neat but fine level. Good layout, it flows well. Short, but not so short, it seems the right length for it. I couldn't find the 3 1 Ups, though. I'm going to replay it in order to find them.

That's it for now. As always, if you want to check my levels and give feedbacks, here's my page on MarioMakerHub.com

Thank you sir! Im glad you liked the level. They take a lot of time to construct and its always great to hear they are liked.

I try yo make secrets and power ups be of worth and impactful to the levels, and it makes me happy you noticed details like that. My previous level gave me some difficulty with making finding yoshi be worthwhile, but with this one I had a lot of fun, especially because spiny helmet is such a cool power up/mechanic.

Also, this game is crack. Im almost finishing another level. Ineed help!

Schlomo

People repeatedly jumped into the DNA machine and could skip the entire sub-area in my level Dino Cloning Lab. It was quite popular, so I thought it was worth tweaking it a bit.

Changelog:
- Added one-way door to the DNA machine and added a background to make it look more like a machine.
- Changed one of the conveyor belts to make that sequence less annoying for inexperienced players.
- Removed two blocks to make the boss puzzle slightly easier.
- Added some floor elements to prevent flying to the goal with the cape.

Dino Cloning Lab (5423-0000-00C4-D27A).

WVW69ihECaobzh-mYE

If you want to clone a dinosaur, all you need is a DNA machine and some dino DNA. Off to the amber mine!

Try it if you haven't played it yet!

Neki

Those were very clever ideas, also the 3 Piranha Plants setup and the whole "alternate-solutions" layout in all challenges with vines that allowed you to take them in different ways. I must insist that I found that part very interesting and that KittenMaster should make a whole level revolving around the mole+enemy mechanic.

I played Sky Bridge yesterday and it was really well done. The only problem with it is there is a fireball hazard at the very top of the map that I died too because of airship theme drifting up and down, and it was very chaotic. I also don't know how the koopa died the first time, I did him see kamikaze with bombs though.

If anyone could try my level, still sitting on one play. :(

Neki

I played your Bayonetta level and it was fun, though I think enemy spawn was too high, and the dry bones platforming required a lot of waiting because of how high they would fly. The heel is quite unruly too, lol. I don't know if using shoe dispensers would be a better choice, the constant goomba heel made the last area more difficult then it should have been.

Edit: meant to edit this in my previous post, sorry for double post lol

ScOULaris

Just got this game today and am gonna dive into the editor tonight. I already have a pretty solidified idea for the level I'm gonna attempt first. Wish me luck!

Thud

The first level layout was too confusing, you go all the way right and find out you need a pow block so you have to go all the way left and you can't use Yoshi for the vine parts. One of the vines on the left can also not appear if you hold right when entering the underground. You spend the whole level without Yoshi and then you use the pow block and you only kill one muncher, so I just abandoned Yoshi. It was a good concept but confusing and a little too much running around.

Thanks for the feedback. I also agree it's still a work in progress. Activate the last vine by climbing the left vines. Abandon yoshi for a little while and reunite later may be a bit too confusing.

I can start the underground to the left, use the vines for the ditch yoshi route, make the yoshi route a bit longer and polish some muncher mechanics.

:)

Thanks for the clarification! Yeah, I figured super easy for sharing in this thread. My low completion rates don't shock me; I've learned quickly not overestimate the skills level of your average Mario gamer.

My goal is to work towards eventually churning out slightly complex levs, that are still manageable by the aforementioned Mario gamers.

Gonna try yours and get back to you

Edit: Starred.

No complaints honestly. Was a crazy, cold, space odyssey. First try I was playing it safe, grabbing every power up, then I got a feel for the flow and just ran through it as a small Mario. Surprised how well "run-n-gun" style played out on a level like this. Love how difficulty ramps up with each area.

Bravo dude.

Yeah its nice to have decently complex levels to play on gaf. As long as you know your target and create to them than its all good :)

Yeah, my level has lots of power ups mainly because its long. If the player dies I just want it to be because they simply messed up bad. To replay long levels sucks so to accomodate I put more powerups and one mandatory one.

Thanks for the feedback.

You earned me my 4th medal :D
300 stars. Feels good. I gotta create some more. Tough though

JC Sera

I uploaded my first course. It's no good but I figured I could try at least once.

Bowsers First Castle: C44E-0000-00C4-BE68
trying it
pretty nice classic level
but that blind jump near the start needs an arrow or something]

also put coins on either side of where the thwomps are going to jump
it gives the player a little more warning :)

ok at the boss
i'd suggest removing a layer of blocks for that fight
but
imma weenie

Xemnas89

trying it
pretty nice classic level
but that blind jump near the start needs an arrow or something]

also put coins on either side of where the thwomps are going to jump
it gives the player a little more warning :)

ok at the boss
i'd suggest removing a layer of blocks for that fight
but
imma weenie

Thank you for the suggestions. Can you edit a level that's already uploaded or do you have to reupload it after making edits?

Edit: Also I made another new stage. Felt like I had something when I was making it but it didn't turn out great. Still decided to upload anyway because I figure there are probably plenty of people that do the same.

Haunted Boo Home: 2C13-0000-00C5-14C1

Tesseract

Banned
my friend made a rad level, i'm sharing it for him:

Here's my very first level. Had a few concepts that I had in mind before starting and generally struggled to apply them as coherent level(s). Eventually I stumbled upon a theme and came up with an idea for a branching/non-linear level and ultimately decided to lump them together as a single level with four sections. A few hiccups with the level that I unfortunately discovered after uploading; some minor sequence breaks that I didn't intend for, and an avoidable trap that can prevent the player from finishing the level (avoidable as in as long as you understand the mechanics of how a certain power-up works you will never do it by accident). Aside from that I'm relatively proud of it and I'm curious what all of you think. Feedback/constructive critcism is much appreciated. Fair warning: The individual sections of the level are pretty challenging on their own, let alone having to do all of them to complete the level. I don't expect anyone to finish it for the first time in a quick manner. It is designed so each section should be mastered individually before attempting to complete all of them sequencially. One more thing worth mentioning; there's an optional fifth section that grants you a fancier ending to the level. When I originally uploaded the level, I did NOT complete this section. However, during practice runs I noted how long it took to finish this extra section by itself and added to time to the rest of the level and I assure you it's very possible to do it. I'm very curious if anyone manages to pull it off, and hoping someone does.

A9E8-0000-0090-B0E2

My latest stage features the ability to tackle two levels in any order, a checkpoint system and overall Rosalina positivity. It's quite a long gauntlet though. Found a picture and new description too.

This level is not for the faint of heart. Roommate and I attempted this quite a few times.

Love the over world concept, but it's fairly trying to attempt to complete this thing in one go.

Note: I didn't notice your password system in the comments until after we'd given up. Will try again later.

Some good platforming, overall, but the ice section is somewhat monstrous.

Tanwo

I’ve some new levels that I haven’t shared, so here they are:

The first one is the fourth and final level of my SMB World X series. It is a castle level that, like the ones in the later worlds in SMB, has a pipe maze, although in this level there is a path without finding the correct pipe, even if it may be harder. I haven’t played any castle level in SMM that used the pipe maze, so I guess that’s something new.
There’s probably a good reason why no one else did it.
It also has a secret area.

World X-4: 8E9C-0000-0094-5FFB
WVW69idcP5M5ozJo69

The second one is the result of wanting to create an easy stage that was still interesting enough. I hope it turned out okay, but most of you will probably find it too easy.

A Small Gap: 8B63-0000-00BC-D18E
WVW69igahkU0G8zaak

This is probably the least interesting screenshot ever

Any feedback is welcome! I’ll try to play the levels of anyone who gives them a try.

Neki

This level is not for the faint of heart. Roommate and I this

Love the over world concept, but it's fairly trying to attempt to complete this thing in one go.

Note: I didn't notice your password system in the comments until after we'd given up. Will try again later.

Some good platforming, overall, but the ice section is somewhat monstrous.

Thanks for playing it. If I play through the whole thing in one go, it's probably 400 seconds, lol. The checkpoint system really helps though, and yes, the ice section is super strict, but at least you can't die! I apperciate any feedback though.

Anteo

I uploaded 2 more videos overnight:

Video: https://youtu.be/X0hRgDq3Xkw

I enjoyed this one a lot, awesome level! It takes one simple enemy (Thwomps) and uses it in cool ways during the course, never feeling repetitive and always proposing cool and interesting challenges at every step. Standard Nintendo design done really well. Very clever idea mixing one way doors and Thwomps: sometimes you had to go under them, others over them, sometime you had to rush, others wait. Sometimes you slide down a wall hiding in the precise moment, others you have to take the Thwomps with you to open the path...The author understands the main mechanic perfectly and it shows. Even with how limited Thwomps are it´s amazing the many different uses they show in this level. And that´s without using any "attachments" (wings, tracks, mushrooms...).

At some poitns cannons start appearing, which provide an horizontal (or even diagonal) component to the verticality of Thwomps. They are the perfect complement and once more show the high quality design of this course, there´s nothing to add or to take away, everything is perfectly put together. The challenges are correctly separated so you can take on them individually and give each one it´s time to shine, the pacing is just perfect...

I want to start saying, I GAVE YOU THE WRONG CODE LOL, this stage is a old stage I made a month ago, I wanted you to play the one I made on the weekend. Anyways, I love this stage a lot, so I'm glad you played it.

There are somethings I didn´t understand why they were there:
  • There are some breakable blocks on the floor in some part (where the big horizontal cannon is), what are they for?
  • Also, there´s a door that just traps you, but you can just take it back to exit.
  • What´s the purpose of the breakable blocks just before the goal?

I think I didn´t find all the secrets, so I´ll be giving this a replay in the next days. As I just said to Jocchan on my previous post, I think that´s the biggets praise that can be given and it is truly deserved. I´ll be following you from now on ;)

I replayed it later (no video on that, sorry) and left you a comment on Miiverse on a place where I got stuck. I think I found all the secrets, it was very cool as the stage took you through different paths and it made it feel like a different level, very good work in the level layout. Replaying it has only made me like it more :)

Conclusion: AWESOME level, Nintendo-like design, clever and varied challenges evolving from a simple mechanic. You´ll never look at Thwomps with the same eyes after playing this level.

1)I was going for a feeling that this place was abandoned and was starting to fall apart, that's why in some areas you see a couple of gray blocks on the ceiling, and some on the floor. The breakable blocks were there just as decoration, some of these gray blocks weak now.

2)The door was not suposed to trap you, I didnt realize I had blocked it until a week after I had published it, and I just decided to roll with it. That area is like a wall that fell apart, and the doors were the original way to get around it. It just decoration I guess.

3)Just like the throwmp that is traped near the goal, is like someone already finished the castle before you, so someone took out bowser and destroyed some blocks on the process. I didnt expect players to get this tho but I still went with it.

I've realized this weekend how imporant is to watch players go through your stages, I really didnt ever watch anyone but me and one friend play the level, so I didn't know how players would react to these things, I was posting my other new stage around in twitch streams so I got to see how some players think about secrets and such, so I learned a lot, definitely will apply this new knowledge in my next stage!

Also, by watching your video, I can tell you are the kind of player that likes to explore the level a lot, playing with every element posible. My "decorations" were messing with your play so I'll make sure that is less of an issue in future stages.
BTW, you found one shortcut but decinded against it, why was that?

Thank you for playing!

Edit: Also, the place you got stuck, (read if you got all secrets)
I actually didnt want to leave a gap between the Thwomps and the ceiling, but as you may have realized, there is one Thwomp that has a secret path above it, and it would be too obvious if it was the only one that had that kind of gap
. I definitely could have fixed that making the gap one tile wider

Also, I think the part with the fire bars was too much for the start, I regret that part the most really.

Edit2: I remember now, the firebar were there because originally you would have to force throwmps to break blocks while dealing with the fire wall (later I tried it with a fire thing that jumps from the lava), it was also there cause I wanted to tell the player "hey, we will use this later", I ended up droping it from the later part of the level, but used the first firebar area as a way to prevent the player from going to fast, so they can see what happen with the throwmp, I still regret that I used a doulbe firebar, that's a bit too much, just one bar would have been enough

Xemnas89

So I played a bunch of levels and starred them, DudeBros and bob-omb of ice and fire were probably my favourites of the last page.

My latest stage features the ability to tackle two levels in any order, a checkpoint system and overall Rosalina positivity. It's quite a long gauntlet though. Found a picture and new description too.

I thought I had it beat but then there were two more areas I had to go through and ended up dying to a bullet bill. Couldn't beat it but loved the level.

Neki

I thought I had it beat but then there were two more areas I had to go through and ended up dying to a bullet bill. Couldn't beat it but loved the level.

Yeah, using the password system is a bit obtuse at first, but it will prevent future play through of the same first two areas. Hopefully one day you'll come back and finish it, thanks again! :p

Xemnas89

Yeah, using the password system is a bit obtuse at first, but it will prevent future play through of the same first two areas. Hopefully one day you'll come back and finish it, thanks again! :p

Went back to it and mastered the first two sections. I actually love the ice section. All about being precise and fast. The fire section is a bit harder but if you're careful you can get through it fine. Finally figured out the password which is really quite clever. However I'm just not capable of beating the second half of the level. I can get through the vines with only a few issues but I just can't get through the part with the spikes and bullet bills. I think it because I prefer moving quick but you're forced to play at a little slower pace. Still love the level and I'm determined to one day beat it but today isn't that day lol.

Neki

Went back to it and mastered the first two sections. I actually love the ice section. All about being precise and fast. The fire section is a bit harder but if you're careful you can get through it fine. Finally figured out the password which is really quite clever. However I'm just not capable of beating the second half of the level. I can get through the vines with only a few issues but I just can't get through the part with the spikes and bullet bills. I think it because I prefer moving quick but you're forced to play at a little slower pace. Still love the level and I'm determined to one day beat it but today isn't that day lol.

Great to hear. I always thought the saw section was the easiest. If you make it past the first two areas of the saw section, you'd practically beat it though, as the third section is more of a fun romp than anything. You're close! :p I'll be sure to check out your levels once I get back to mario maker.

kinggroin

Banned
I haven't posted stages for you guys in a while, so I suppose I'll do a big roundup of all my recent stages. One of these in particular is a must play, and I think one of my most fully realized puzzle stages to date.

Magicant
(98F2-0000-00BF-74A1)
WVW69ignRF8yDYujSW

Type: Music/ Autoscroll/ platforming
Difficulty: Light

Comments: Holy crap. Wow. Super trippy. Should have called it Alice in Wonderland! Great job. Pretty easy, lots of (mu)shrooms haha

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
(7E21-0000-00BC-736D)

WVW69ignSYY5fqpVfl

Type: Puzzle
Difficulty: Hard

Comments: Bad ass. Getting both brothers to work together to solve the puzzles. Super creative. Didn't finish it, but I will give it more goes later along with your other levels

See comments

Xemnas89

Great to hear. I always thought the saw section was the easiest. If you make it past the first two areas of the saw section, you'd practically beat it though, as the third section is more of a fun romp than anything. You're close! :p I'll be sure to check out your levels once I get back to mario maker.

Today is the day I beat your level. Couldn't stop thinking about it so I had to go finish it. The saw section wasn't too much of an issue this time around. Still almost died a couple times but I persevered and have completed the traveller of the cosmos.

Edit: If you play my levels that's cool but they aren't that good. The two levels of yours that I've played so far are much better.

?oe?oe

I’ve some new levels that I haven’t shared, so here they are:

The first one is the fourth and final level of my SMB World X series. It is a castle level that, like the ones in the later worlds in SMB, has a pipe maze, although in this level there is a path without finding the correct pipe, even if it may be harder. I haven’t played any castle level in SMM that used the pipe maze, so I guess that’s something new.
There’s probably a good reason why no one else did it.
It also has a secret area.

World X-4: 8E9C-0000-0094-5FFB
WVW69idcP5M5ozJo69
I didn't get a sense of a maze. Yes I went down one pipe and went backwards, but then I just continued on without going down any pipes and got to the end.

The second one is the result of wanting to create an easy stage that was still interesting enough. I hope it turned out okay, but most of you will probably find it too easy.

A Small Gap: 8B63-0000-00BC-D18E
WVW69igahkU0G8zaak

This is probably the least interesting screenshot ever

Any feedback is welcome! I’ll try to play the levels of anyone who gives them a try.
It was easy but it wasn't a bore to play. So thumbs up!

I have a stage I would like you guys to test out. I'm trying to make it feel like you are being pursued by a predator. It is a little rough, but I would like to see some thoughts. I would love to make more fined tuned version.

Hunted in the sunken ruins (7C3A-0000-00B5-D144)
WVW69ifyHSQQDeF6Lu

jmizzal

Made a Super Mario Bros 1 World 1-2 with a twist

Not a hard level at all if you played Mario 1 lol but just wanted to make it

F164-0000-00C5-4DC2

Svafnir

We finally got to launching a worlds section for MarioMakerHub.

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/worlds

You can now create a playlist of levels for whatever you want. Create a series of levels that all follow a theme? Want to highlight your favorite puzzle levels other people created? Use it for whatever you want.

Svafnir

We finally got to launching a worlds section for MarioMakerHub.

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/worlds

You can now create a playlist of levels for whatever you want. Create a series of levels that all follow a theme? Want to highlight your favorite puzzle levels other people created? Use it for whatever you want.

Is there any other features people would want from a Mario Maker website? We still have these coming:

Play Later (Create a queue of levels to play through)
Follow Creators (Get notified when they upload a new level, etc)
Better ways to promote user levels. Plus benefits for rating peoples levels.

CrisKre

Is there any other features people would want from a Mario Maker website? We still have these coming:

Play Later (Create a queue of levels to play through)
Follow Creators (Get notified when they upload a new level, etc)
Better ways to promote user levels. Plus benefits for rating peoples levels.
All of those sound great!

PixelPeZ

Tried to fake a vertical level and do something underwater, took for bloody ever, I didn't know there was such a strict limit on pipes. Either way, I can't tell any more if I made it too easy, or it's still pretty hard and I just know it well after all this.

Y1tKHJ7.png

Also, a repost of my older levels.

correojon

Because sequels are better than original IPs, of course ;)

Oh wow, thanks for the glowing review! *blushes*

The Contra vibes both levels gave are probably a byproduct of them being based on a 2D run and gun/Mega Man/Metroidvania hybrid, something I tried to preserve on a smaller scale while translating it to a different gameplay.
That is awesome hahaha he even has the NeoGaf logo on a pin! That game looked very Contra-ish too, that´s where the feeling came from. BTW, are you developing that game?

The most distinctive part in 1-2 is probably the (huge spoiler!!!)
"sort-of-hallucination" sequence
. I actually used comments to give it more context through dialogue (and a joke), but hopefully its purpose was clear enough even with comments disabled. The pipe trickery it's built on probably deserves a whole post to describe it in bigger detail, as I think it could open up a lot of interesting possibilities for other levels as well.
Yeah I understood that part, it was very good and fresh. I had comments off, I must rememeber to turn them on when I replay it. I think I used the same pipe trick in Wiggler´s Steampunk Tree for the top P-Switch room, you overlapped two pipes, right?

About secrets, 1-2 features three hidden 1up mushrooms like almost all my levels, plus this time
a simple alternate exit
. So, if you want to play it again (and yeah, it is the best compliment one can get), you're covered :)
Great, I´ll try to find everything next time!

Yesterday I played the first two levels in your series (both pretty good, especially RtDL2 which I think was a great take on dual worlds!), and I'm pretty sure I've already played the wiggler tree one. I'll get to these as well :)
Thanks, glad you liked them! RtDL6 also uses dual worlds like RtDL2, but it´s more tricky, when you play it please let me know which one you liked more.

I played Sky Bridge yesterday and it was really well done. The only problem with it is there is a fireball hazard at the very top of the map that I died too because of airship theme drifting up and down, and it was very chaotic. I also don't know how the koopa died the first time, I did him see kamikaze with bombs though.
I wish the airship theme didn´t have that vertical movement, it only screws up carefully planned setups. The Koopa is meant to be the same one through all the level and you should only watch him die the last time when he jumps straight at you with the bombs. The rest of the times you should just see him leave the screen and disappear, though sometimes he dies on his own (controlling enemies without using tracks is difficult and this one has big suicidal tendencies). The idea is that you´re chasing him and he´s setting traps to stop you and in the end, when he has nowhere left to run he just tries to take you with him.
Thanks for trying and for the comments!

I want to start saying, I GAVE YOU THE WRONG CODE LOL, this stage is a old stage I made a month ago, I wanted you to play the one I made on the weekend. Anyways, I love this stage a lot, so I'm glad you played it.
See the last part of this post, I´m opened for more levels ;)

1)I was going for a feeling that this place was abandoned and was starting to fall apart, that's why in some areas you see a couple of gray blocks on the ceiling, and some on the floor. The breakable blocks were there just as decoration, some of these gray blocks weak now.

2)The door was not suposed to trap you, I didnt realize I had blocked it until a week after I had published it, and I just decided to roll with it. That area is like a wall that fell apart, and the doors were the original way to get around it. It just decoration I guess.

3)Just like the throwmp that is traped near the goal, is like someone already finished the castle before you, so someone took out bowser and destroyed some blocks on the process. I didnt expect players to get this tho but I still went with it.
Ok, now I get it, cool idea! You could have made the walls more irregular and with gaps to stengthen that "falling apart" look, or use the semisolid platforms in pieces here and there. Anyway, the "someone already went through the level and trashed it" is a really cool idea.

I've realized this weekend how imporant is to watch players go through your stages, I really didnt ever watch anyone but me and one friend play the level, so I didn't know how players would react to these things, I was posting my other new stage around in twitch streams so I got to see how some players think about secrets and such, so I learned a lot, definitely will apply this new knowledge in my next stage!
I´ve had some of my levels streamed and it´s really useful, you see people taking on challenges or going through the level in ways you didn´t think about even remotely, it helps a lot to make your levels more solid. That´s why I decided to record some levels for people, as I thought it may help them a lot.
Unfortunately for me, most streamers are US based and due to timezone differences I always miss them :(

Also, by watching your video, I can tell you are the kind of player that likes to explore the level a lot, playing with every element posible. My "decorations" were messing with your play so I'll make sure that is less of an issue in future stages.
When playing 100 Mario challenge I tend to just press Y and blaze through the stage as fast as possible unless I find an interesting level. Yours was great and very well organized, so it invited exploration as I knew I wouldn´t be finding cheap traps or any bullshit. Also, as I was recording I wanted to try things so you could see what a player without previous knowledge on the level would do.

BTW, you found one shortcut but decinded against it, why was that?
I can´t remember which one it was, but probably I did so if it was taking me too far from the main path or was forcing me to take a pipe/door. I did it to see the the main path first, in my later replays I took every way I could find (I should´ve recorded them :( ).

Thank you for playing!

Edit: Also, the place you got stuck, (read if you got all secrets)
I actually didnt want to leave a gap between the Thwomps and the ceiling, but as you may have realized, there is one Thwomp that has a secret path above it, and it would be too obvious if it was the only one that had that kind of gap
. I definitely could have fixed that making the gap one tile wider
I found that secret and in part it was what pushed me to try it also on that other Thwomp. Anyway, at that point I had already replayed the level 3 or 4 times and was just messing around trying to break it :p But yeah, you should make the gap wider to allow the player to exit.

Also, I think the part with the fire bars was too much for the start, I regret that part the most really.

Edit2: I remember now, the firebar were there because originally you would have to force throwmps to break blocks while dealing with the fire wall (later I tried it with a fire thing that jumps from the lava), it was also there cause I wanted to tell the player "hey, we will use this later", I ended up droping it from the later part of the level, but used the first firebar area as a way to prevent the player from going to fast, so they can see what happen with the throwmp, I still regret that I used a doulbe firebar, that's a bit too much, just one bar would have been enough
The only problem I see is that it felt abit out of place, specially after replaying the level several times. It´s so consistent in it´s use of elements that those firebars threw me off a little as they weren´t seen anywhere else in the level. You should either put them in some other challenge or just remove them, but it´s just a minor detail.

Again: I loved this level, awesome job!

Some more videos I recorded yesterday:
1-3: The road to Fungitown (3B27-0000-00BB-B1FF)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ-8eYqesfY

I enjoyed this one a lot, it uses many simple mechanics but hides some serious challenges and nice secrets. The best thing about this level is the many hidden paths there are and how each of them uses different mechanics in interesting challenges. Usually mixing so many elements isn´t a good idea, but everything is separated nicely, so for example you get the Propeller Hat and have a series of challenges exclusive to it before going back to the main shared path. In a way, it´s like a 1-1 for advanced players, as the main layout isn´t very complex at first sight (though under the surface there are really many things going on), the mechanics are straightforward, but the challenges will require an ability level beyond that of a novice player.
You have to use Yoshi, there are speed challenges, Propeller hat challenges, you have to use shells in minipuzzles to unlock more paths, you have to explore around to find powerups or 1Ups...this level does many things and all of them are done very well.
Special mention for the layout: what at first seems like a standard linear level hides so many cool things and uses a really intelligent layout, but keeping everything nice and tidy at the same time. A masterclass in layout design. You can replay this level 4 or 5 times and keep on finding new things, each time asking yourself how the author managed to put that there without you having noticed in any of your previous replays, but at the same time you can rush to the goal in a linear course. great for speed running and even better for exploration, it does everything amazingly well.

Conclusion: Very good level, as you´ll see in the video I replayed it many times until I felt like I had found everything and it kept on giving better and better surprises. I´ll be following your releases.

Run along, run along... (2ADF-0000-00B0-7255)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHPU6JYwUHI
As the title says, you have to keep running from the first moment the level starts, as it´s a fast paced-autoscrolling obstacle course. It´s very demanding, but bit by bit you´ll be getting the hang of it and get further each time. That said, I didn´t manage to beatit (I suck, I know). I reached the part with all the Bullet Bills facing you and couldn´t think of a way to beat that, some coin guidance in that part would be nice, as putting a part of trial and error that far into the level can put players down.
I also didn´t like the part with the door, ice and vine (you´ll see me die there a lot of times), that was really insane. It´s just a personal opinion, other people may enjoy the challenge.

This course will require you to die to learn (unless you have superhuman reflexes), this is usually a questionable design choice, but as the level is so fast the negative effect is greatly mitigated. However, as it always happens with this kind of design, it will reach a point where the player might get tired of repetition. I think that all levels should be beatable on the first try, so I would put some more guidance in the trickier parts. For example, the part with the ice floor and the vines is hard and very different from the rest of the challenges as it totally breaks the pace and requires you to advance vertically instead of horizontally, but there´s a door that gives you a moment of pause and allows you to properly assess the situation, that was a very clever design decission. The part with the fire floor might also require something to hint the player that he should stop running and wait a bit. Also, as mentioned already, the Bullet Bill Blaster challenge needs some hint on what to do. I suspect I should wait for them to shoot and bounce on them? When playing I think I don´t have enough time to do that before the autoscroll gets me...

Conclusion: good and demanding fast paced autoscroll level. I´m not very fond of these type of levels because the line between a fair challenge and a cheap trap is very thin in these kind of designs and it´s usually not set right, or probably because I suck at them (I know, stop repeating it!), but this one provides good challenges and felt fair for all the part I could see. If you like a good demanding and fast paced challenge, you´ll like this level.

Recorded and uploading:
Lonely Lagoon - (6785-0000-00BA-E591)
They say that empty ocean is the scariest. Watch out for the Chomp Sharks.
Hey everybody, let me present you my last stage :
Super Mario Rugby (0Bee-0000-00C2-CC0F).
After Super Mario Kart, Super Mario Rugby let you play the final of the World Cup : Australia vs. New Zealand !
Anyway, with the next rugby world cup in japan in 4 years, I expect that we will get some good rugby game for once :D
I hope you'll have fun and find the way to convert your try ;)
Nice, man.
Glacier Cocktail
ID: 9E99-0000-00B3-4A19

Pending:
Firey Choices-- 9975-0000-00C3-323B
Could really use some feedback. If anybody else wants to give it a shot, that would be great too!
The Infamous Red Shell Heist (B7D7-0000-00B9-07BF)
Bombé Alaska Jail [HARD] ID: 4C5F-0000-00C3-9C1D
I forgot to do this sorry @_@
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I´m open for more submissions, people who have already a video can submit another level too, though I´ll prioritze those who still don´t have a video. Quote this paragraph and just write down your level name and ID like this;
Level Name (Level ID)
It´s just easier for me to upload and name the videos :p

JC Sera

Wow watching the road to fungi town video, that level is amazing!

And little kids can get through it too, thats pretty amazing (I think putting in a couple of kid/new to games friendly level is super important)

Did something happen that caused my plays to go way down? Did everyone else's go way down too? Did everyone go play something else or what? Tri Force Heroes sucks. Come back to Mario Maker!

Neki

I´m open for more submissions, people who have already a video can submit another level too, though I´ll prioritze those who still don´t have a video. Quote this paragraph and just write down your level name and ID like this;
Level Name (Level ID)
It´s just easier for me to upload and name the videos :p

You can try my level, quite the gauntlet though. Thanks for doing this by the way, we all appreciate it.

Traveller of the Cosmos

Rosalina wakes up to discover that she is lost in an unknown galaxy. Traverse through fiery depths, icy caverns, metallic corridors and overgrown jungles as Rosalina races against the clock to make it back to her ship.

A257-0000-00C3-2EFF

beUULgH.jpg

Top Bottom