• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Gnomist

Added another course for the night. Trying to keep in the spirit of how an actual Mario level might feel.

30DA-0000-001D-1CF3

Some notes:

Tried to use a single enemy and its variants in a variety of situations.
Focused on using only several supporting elements in multiple combinations and configurations.
Included several DKC2-esque bonus rooms that contain a 1UP (they really need to add star coins or something people want to collect).

See what you think!

sorry. forgot to add in the back of my entertainment stand. although im kinda considering just taking it out of the entertainment stand and moving it across the room to my chair.

10 mario challenge
Understood.
When I got my system last year I had debated putting the cradle in the equipment rack, but opted for the end table. Now the plug is right next to where I normally sit. Nice and handy.

zroid

Banned
These are my two courses so far. I still don't have much unlocked so it is what it is!

Both are pretty short and not really difficult. Hopefully they're fun though!

WVW69iX9NdIYZYmzY7

"Tunnel Vision"
E6CF-0000-0018-0D9E

WVW69iYECjQShA5w72

"Head in the Clouds"
21F3-0000-001C-EA87

zroid

Banned
Is SMB 2 not in the game because of the difference between the US and Japanese versions?

I know it's not generally as well regarded as the others, but I kind of miss its presence.
probably more because the game is so different mechanically from the others

Lhadatt

I submit for judgement my second level, Cheep Cheep Cheap:

6C62-0000-001C-BDA0

It's a bit short, but I had an idea that I wanted to get out there. I had some cheeps setup in a formation in a water level, and then switched to the castle set. They fell into the fire -- but then caught on fire and kept going! I can't recall seeing flaming cheeps before in a Mario game, so I had to experiment.

Painguy

Made my first level guys! Spent about 2-3 hours on it. Let me know what you think. The level revolves around springs and piranha plants
Spring Jump Sewer
3C21-0000-001C-DC7C

Too hard, too annoying? Let me know whatever. I tried to make it fair, but decently challenging. No invisible traps or anything.
Also does anyone know how to place those background assets like flowers, grass, weeds, etc?

Thanks

tariniel

Made this momentum based level with some fun jumps, I find it fun to play so hopefully you do too:

7459-0000-001D-3AD6 - Cave Party

Memles

I'm finding this really interesting to play—it's fun too, sure, but I'm more interested in where my mind goes when I sit down to make a course.

So far, I've struggled a bit with the locked components. I don't think Nintendo's basic approach is flawed, but there are some elements—thinking specifically of the ability to create sub-levels—that are too limiting. It means I've got a (admittedly gimmicky, more on that in a second) concept built that is waiting for the unlock. Yes, I can game the system to move it along, but for me this is a basic component of Mario level design that shouldn't be locked in the way it is.

But it says a lot about me that when presented with limits, my mind goes to "What can I easily signify/finish?" versus necessarily breaking it down into level design components. If I had more time, it's possible I'd be adjusting minute details, but in "dipping into" the game on the first day I didn't necessarily feel inspired to go as deep as I've seen others do here and elsewhere.

I've got a third level that I'm content with ready to go in the morning, but here are the two I built today.

Trust Fall:
Course ID: C774-0000-0017-B0D2

This is a pretty short course, which I built more to test how many people were using the thumbnail—in retrospect, I'm realizing that the 100 Marios mode may not feature thumbnails, so it became tougher than perhaps I intended.

Ministry of Truth
Course ID: 30B3-0000-0019-4996

A good insight into my day one thought process: starting playing around with blocks, made an equals sign, and the (gimmicky) idea built from there. I think I'll probably end up with a few silly ideas like this one that help break down other design elements (which I had to use to fill out the rest of the level).

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
My girlfriend just played it! She liked it and said it was somewhat challenging.

Glad she liked it! :D

Loved the touch with door Q.

I had to put that in there. The one thing I learned making this level is that sadly you can only have 4 pairs of doors. I had originally wanted to do doors for ever number but so it goes. XD

Just tried this one - the Hammer Bros gave me a bit of trouble but the rest of it was pretty smooth sailing. Fun! I need to go back and see if I missed any secrets

I put one small secret but it's not that hidden tbh, you might have found it. Spoilered if you don't want to know.
It's just a one up mushroom in a block past a door.

zroid

Banned
I still need to get around to playing the built-in stuff. I just can't resist playing around with the editor whenever turning the game on.

tariniel

Made my first level guys! Spent about 2-3 hours on it. Let me know what you think. The level revolves around springs and piranha plants
Spring Jump Sewer
3C21-0000-001C-DC7C

Too hard, too annoying? Let me know whatever. I tried to make it fair, but decently challenging. No invisible traps or anything.
Also does anyone know how to place those background assets like flowers, grass, weeds, etc?

Thanks

That was pretty fun! I'm a fan of sprinboards in general so I had a great time.

I submit for judgement my second level, Cheep Cheep Cheap:

6C62-0000-001C-BDA0

It's a bit short, but I had an idea that I wanted to get out there. I had some cheeps setup in a formation in a water level, and then switched to the castle set. They fell into the fire -- but then caught on fire and kept going! I can't recall seeing flaming cheeps before in a Mario game, so I had to experiment.

I really like the idea of the fire fish, and that blitz at the end. How'd you get that blitz to happen, where all the monsters are falling? Fun level!

Just uploaded my first level!

King Koopa's Castle
7CC5-0000-001D-517E

My idea was that Mario finally made it to Bowser's castle, so Bowser is trying to fend him off by sending his soldiers after him. I took inspiration from Super Mario Bros., but I used the New Super Mario Bros. theme, because I find it to be aesthetically pleasing. I tried to keep true to the Mario style, so that means there's nothing too over the top.

Let me know what you guys think!

First post on GAF after lurking for a while.

I just got this game and it is awesome. I've mainly been making simple levels that are relatively easy since my family is kind of new to platforming and gaming in general. So even 1-1 can take a couple of tries for them.

For everyone wondering about low completion rates, and if their levels are too hard, I don't think it might be that much of an issue. Completion rate = number of successes / number of attempts. So if the average person dies once before completing the level, the completion rate will be 50 %. Dying twice is 33% (which for me is about what I'd expect for a medium difficulty level). Instead I think the number of flags is more important, since it shows how many made it to the goal before giving up and skipping. A high number of skips usually means its either very hard, deaths are too cheap or just bad design in general

Macheezmo

Just finished my first level. It's not super hard, but I tried to give it good design overall. Let me know what you think, and tell if you find the secret GAF room:

1F5F-0000-001D-5BED

FUCK.

Amazon blew my shipping order. It's been "out for delivery" all day and never arrived :(

If it doesn't arrive by tomorrow, give them a call. They'll send you a new one over with free one day shipping. If you're in the area, you might even be able to get same day shipping. Amazon is very good about making sure their customers are happy.

If it doesn't arrive by tomorrow, give them a call. They'll send you a new one over with free one day shipping. If you're in the area, you might even be able to get same day shipping. Amazon is very good about making sure their customers are happy.

I know, I'm not worried about it. I just wanted to play it tonight :(

Lhadatt

I really like the idea of the fire fish, and that blitz at the end. How'd you get that blitz to happen, where all the monsters are falling? Fun level!
Thanks! I spawned a mass of cheeps near the top of the level. They don't fly without wings, so they just fall into the fire. I had to play around with the positioning a bit to make the blitz fair, otherwise Mario would get hit even if the player tried jumping over the cheep-storm;
that's also why you get an opportunity to grab a star right before it
. You may be able to see a large chunk of white and green in the mini-map on the search results screen.

galvatron

- The physics take a bit of time to get used to in my experience. It might be that way since I haven't played a Mario game in like 2 years.

- Easily worth the full asking price just for playing levels.

No, it's really weird at times to have to teach yourself that all of these old games it appears you're playing handle differently now.

Even NSMBU stuff is weird since it seems they've digitized all the 3-d models into sprites to allow the style switch to work, resulting in unfamiliar, framey animations for that style...still a great game and worth full price, as you said :)

NateDrake

If anyone wants to try my first level: 5673-0000-001D-33BE

Hoping to recreate one I did on the review code, but I need to unlock the SMW content first.

No, it's really weird at times to have to teach yourself that all of these old games it appears you're playing handle differently now.

Even NSMBU stuff is weird since it seems they've digitized all the 3-d models into sprites to allow the style switch to work, resulting in unfamiliar, framey animations for that style...still a great game and worth full price, as you said :)

I noticed the NSMBU thing, too. Everyone's animations got halved, if not quartered.

I imagine it's mostly a resource thing. Putting 200 models on screen at once with their full animations would have been daunting.

Durden77

I litterally have a Metal Gear half sleeve on my left arm and I can't stop playing this game for MGS5.

The power of raw Mario is awe inspiring. If anything, this game has just further made me realize how incredibly excellent these games are.

Pilgrimzero

Why is it in edit/test mode I can give Mario a black shell helmet but when I "play" the level as if to upload it, the shell doesn't exist?

Kriken

I had to put that in there. The one thing I learned making this level is that sadly you can only have 4 pairs of doors. I had originally wanted to do doors for ever number but so it goes

You can add an additional 4 with a sub section and make the ending door #9

liking the game a lot so far although it's a bit overwhelming with so much to do. wish i could permanently delete the craptacular new super mario bros music though!

in other news, i went to go check out the featured user created levels and the first one on the list was one called Jeremy's Course or something. "JEREMY IS GAY" was spelled out in blocks and then there was a dick constructed out of blocks and shooting out. lol wtf i'm assuming nintendo is going to be monitoring this stuff, but how does that get on #1 in the "featured" area!?

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Just beat all four of the NWC courses. Apparently, if you do that, you CAN
make it so mushrooms are always skinny mushrooms
now.

Excellent.

Forkball

Finally made a level. Please don't use exploits that skip most of the level that I didn't realize were in the stage until after I uploaded it. DON'T DO IT.

World War Koopa
IJ19mcf.jpg

0007-0000-001D-99A1

XaosWolf

Question:

The game told me I'd unlocked all the tools, but there's some visual (overlay) related tools that are displayed on some of the built in levels that I haven't gotten yet.

Is there actually more to unlock or are they somewhere kinda hidden?

Eg: Three coloured super mushroom spotlights, ominous spiky screen edge and disco mode.

I was actually on the fence about getting this game, I mainly want to relax when I play games these days and I wasn't sure if making levels fit the bill.

I'm glad I got it, though, last night I really got "in the zone" and made what I thought was a cool level with only the basic tools you get at the beginning (and needless to say, I wanted to post it here).

Thing is, I forgot to jot down the level ID when I uploaded the level, now I can't seem to find it. Is my level basically lost now or is there a way to retrieve the ID? Looks like you can't search user levels by name (it's "The More, the merrier"), which is kind of ... dumb.

OK, I found the level through a notification that I got, the ID is 82DF 0000 0018 8D8D.

NateDrake

Question:

The game told me I'd unlocked all the tools, but there's some visual (overlay) related tools that are displayed on some of the built in levels that I haven't gotten yet.

Is there actually more to unlock or are they somewhere kinda hidden?

Eg: Three coloured super mushroom spotlights, ominous spiky screen edge and disco mode.

Those are under the SFX side-tool.

I was actually on the fence about getting this game, I mainly want to relax when I play games these days and I wasn't sure if making levels fit the bill.

I'm glad I got it, though, last night I really got "in the zone" and made what I thought was a cool level with only the basic tools you get at the beginning (and needless to say, I wanted to post it here).

Thing is, I forgot to jot down the level ID when I uploaded the level, now I can't seem to find it. Is my level basically lost now or is there a way to retrieve the ID? Looks like you can't search user levels by name (it's "The More, the merrier"), which is kind of ... dumb.
Check your Miiverse page. Should show a listing of stages you made.

jholmes

Here's my homage to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES: Shell Shock! Please try it!

0CCD-0000-001D-9748

WVW69iYFFrsH8pV1xw

(Don't be put off by the picture -- it's not crazy difficult, I promise!)

Top Bottom