• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Those are under the SFX side-tool.

Check your Miiverse page. Should show a listing of stages you made.
Thanks, it would've taken me a while to figure that out, I've never touched Miiverse before SMM told me I couldn't upload anything before logging into it at least once. Thanks again!

http://www.twitch.tv/crimsonnn

supposedly a huge mario level hack maker now got his hands on mario maker.
A lot of the SMW stages I've tried so far gave me huge rom hack vibes already -- for obvious reasons, I suppose.

SegaShack

I think I have made the most difficult mario level of all time, it's really simple too, but the layout I did was insanely difficult. Winning is definitely possible (no big jumps or anything like that), but I just can't finish it to get it uploaded. Will have to keep trying tomorrow. If I can get it uploaded, I will give the first gaffer who beats it 10 bucks paypal.

Cindro

Never in my life have a played a game that required such accuracy on a touch screen for optimal results

C A L I B R A T I O N B O Y Z

fernoca

Made a simple level to try things out, and also to "celebrate" Mario's 30th anniversary.

It's short. In a way it also starts kinda tense, but less so a bit later. If you want to get all coins and stuff it kinda stays tense but not punishing.

:p

40B2-0000-001D-D7F0

tariniel

Supposed to be a tricky ghost house level, let me know what you think!

2E4B-0000-001D-F498

How do I give powerups like the boot? Mega mushroom?

How do you select which 8 bit character you want to use in the mystery mushroom once you've unlocked them in the 100 challenge? Seems randomized so far and with characters I didn't unlock.

dock

ZlhbEMp.jpg

Could someone please give my level a try? I spent a long time on the koopa puzzles, but I've only had one person play it. :(

Ranger X

Ok so here's 2 levels following a concept I made tonight.

EASIER WITH MUSHROOM
basically, the level will give you one mushroom and you need to use it for clearing the course quite easily. If you LOSE the mushroom you will still be able to clear the course but it will be much harder to do so.

Easier With Mushroom 1: 7573-0000-001D-33D5

Easier With Mushroom 2: 8118-0000-001D-CBD3

more to come!!

Lynd7

Here's my first two levels, aimed to be fairly easy but enjoyable.

Over or Under: C5D3-0000-001D-1C7C
Run Fast Sonic: D7B4-0000-001D-AE37

Cindro

Good lord - after three hours of creating and playtesting my first course, I'm convinced that in six month's time the majority of content will still be absolute garbage. It is positively insane how much fine-tuning goes into creating a stable and even level - it seems like a process that could go on forever.

"Moving this block one space to the right will cater to the majority of jumps made by the general playerbase!"

"Replacing this mushroom with a fireflower will balance the difficulty in a way that allows us to ramp up the challenge towards the end of the level!"

"Would you look at that, the New Super Mario Bros. games were good all this time and we didn't even know it because smart level design isn't appreciated until fans are in the trenches!"

Super Mario Maker is a brilliant product in so many ways, but helping us understand how much effort must go into the balancing process for ALL games that are at least "passable" or better, including those outside of the platforming genre, is such a wonderful thing to see. I'm going to rage from here on out at anyone that ever dares calls devs "lazy", unless they have ironclad proof of such. Game development must be the cruelest mistress of them all.

Speaking of cruel mistresses, my OG romp, "Madness Of The Thwomps", is now available. Three hours to make, thirty seconds to complete. It's less of a challenge than it is a spectacle-laden commentary on the lot in life Thwomps face, and it's awesome I can do that because of how much room there is for non-traditional level design in this game. I was also drunk while designing the back-half of the course, so there's that.

70a3eda31b33f3a6ed05b6df7ca0f3bb.jpg

43B6-0000-001D-C47D

Platy

Had a "kaizo" named level on my first 100 marios.

Made my rule of never skipping.... so after I finished the mode I went back and I was the second person to complete the level with 7.40% of completion xD

It was one with walljumps and LOTS of trampolines. Not very kaizo if you ask me

Ferrio

Banned
Good lord - after three hours of creating and playtesting my first course, I'm convinced that in six month's time the majority of content will still be absolute garbage. It is positively insane how much fine-tuning goes into creating a stable and even level - it seems like a process that could go on forever.

43B6-0000-001D-C47D

Ya it's a neat insight into the game design. Little things like placing a Koopa suddenly gives the player a weapon and might totally trivialize something later in the level. Place something crazier like yoshi and now you're stuck between balancing a level with people who lose yoshi and people who keep it.

McNum

Here's my homage to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES: Shell Shock! Please try it!

0CCD-0000-001D-9748

WVW69iYFFrsH8pV1xw

(Don't be put off by the picture -- it's not crazy difficult, I promise!)
Quick question. Those jellyfish, what are they? I don't have them in my palette, unless they're something else, like how Dry Bones becomes a fish.

I hit a block on my current level. I need a sublevel to finish it. How long after sound effects is that?

Ferrio

Banned
Quick question. Those jellyfish, what are they? I don't have them in my palette, unless they're something else, like how Dry Bones becomes a fish.

I hit a block on my current level. I need a sublevel to finish it. How long after sound effects is that?

I don't know which one it's released on but you do it by dragging mario to a pipe.

tariniel

In other palettes I think they're just generic spikes? When you select Super Mario Bros 3 & underwater, with default rows, its on second row, third from the right. In a non-underwater level it's just a regular looking spike.

jholmes

Those jellyfish are the spikes. If you're underwater they turn into jellies in the SMB3 palette, and modified urchins in SMW.

I think sound effects is the second-last unlock but you get spikes pretty early.

SpacLock

Finally made a level. Please don't use exploits that skip most of the level that I didn't realize were in the stage until after I uploaded it. DON'T DO IT.

World War Koopa
IJ19mcf.jpg

0007-0000-001D-99A1

Hey, that was a lot of fun!

Going through more GAF levels. I'll comment on them and let you know what I think. This game is a blast.

Dizzy-4U

Just got the game, did the tutorial, some building and played online maps.

Is it possible to unlock the item tiers faster? I've only got friggin Waluigi. I'm cursed.

bounchfx

This is so good. So, so good. I know it's hard, I know it's unfair, but it's so, so good (come on that Yoshi jump, goddammit)

wow, that is super clever, but I don't see anyone genuinely figuring that out unless they're absolutely insane Lol. fun to watch because so much of it was unexpected/wtfhow's

I'm super fucking impressed that people can even come up with this type of stuff

Just finished my 2nd level. Based on Little Nemo Dream Master level 2 Flower Garden. I think it's better than my other one but it could still use some work. Try it out if y'all want.

Little Nemo Mario Master Level 2: ID: DD3A-0000-001E-20FC

Top Bottom