• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

No nonsense classic styled levels.

SMW ★-1

(B174-0000-002A-7FB4)

WVW69iYZd6IiEB_whe

Classic ♡-1

(397C-0000-0028-1CB2)

WVW69iYU0vYBBEnDCw

SuomiDude

Yesterday I beat 100 Mario Challenge on Expert, had about 50 lives left when finished. Had to skip a lot of bs stages like where there's a thwomp right above your head when you start and if you run left and jump there's an invisible block that you accidently hit and boo circle comes out to kill you. Yeah, no thanks. Although my levels are hard, they're pretty fair and only require lots of skill, not luck or bs you can't see.

tariniel

A new level I made tonight:

E8BD-0000-002A-0075

The idea is that the first part is a puzzle to get a fireball powerup, and then the rest of the level is using the powerup! Enjoy! I had a good friend test it and he said it was pretty easy, so I think this one is in a good spot.

fernoca

After uploading my level yesterday, checked today and...was surprised. :eek:!

4EAvw9b.jpg

So many X! Thought the level was too simple and easy and yet only 3 people out of 66 beat it. 2 gave it a star at least. :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think I discovered a major glitch...

It happened when I went to upload my level...

I had created a track, and place two saws on the side of the track traveling the opposite direction. Now, I assumed they'd move at the same speed, and cross one another and then travel to opposite ends---and in editing, that's what happened.

Yet when I went to upload the track, when I got to that part, the saws suddenly were traveling right next to one another which doesn't make any sense...so it ruined the level because you had to jump over them when they crossed, which no longer occurred as they traveled side-by-side now. I had to remove that segment because it was impossible to clear, and just changed it to one saw.

Another part of the level had the same glitch happen---I had six saws that intersected, and in editing they did just that, but when I played the level to upload it, the timing was totally off---this time, though, it actually worked to my advantage because the challenge was still there just the timing was different from what I planned, but still possible to clear.

Made me mad---but anyway, here's the level...

1ZsxHfn.jpg

DRAGON ROAD!
28AD-0000-002A-7364

This...this one is pretty tough.

I feel like, rule of thumb, if you the creator can't clear your level 50% of the time, maybe it's too difficult or luck based---this one actually challenge me quite a bit, but I think it came out pretty good. There's a few segments where I found it was easier to just take a hit, but I guess even among real Mario levels there are segments where I've used the mercy invincibility to pass so I wasn't too bothered. But I tested the segments though and it should be challenging, but possible. Enjoy...can you conquer the Dragon Road?

VandalD

Just uploaded my first for-real level

"Fish Fry"

B672-0000-002A-7E80

Let me know what you think, GAF
I like the idea of lakitu throwing cheeps into the lava, and the thwomps slowing you down so that you can't just outrun the cheeps. There are a few chances to kill lakitu though, and I managed to fly through a lot of the level.

Made a level at my friend's place since I don't have a Wii U yet, would love to see people check it out though.

Mount Molehill
C123-0000-0026-CE2A

SMB3 tileset, tried to do interesting things with the moles that throw wrenches without making the level overly difficult. I think there's a few spots I'd tweak some more if I could but I didn't want to spend too much time hogging the game while hanging out with friends lol
Nice use of the moles. It can get pretty chaotic, but since moles can be slow to jump up and attack, it worked out well to rush most of the level. And then there was the track platform. That was brutal. Probably could have flown over it though. I liked it.

You sure? Did you take the hidden spring in the moving platform section into the enemy pit at the end?
No, I didn't bring it with me. I had no idea I'd need it, and when I got to the pit, I had no idea there was anything above me after the two hidden blocks - the camera doesn't move high enough to see the goal, so I never thought I was missing a spring. Since I couldn't get out of the pit, I quit and then downloaded it to see what was up.

No, I didn't bring it with me. I had no idea I'd need it, and when I got to the pit, I had no idea there was anything above me after the two hidden blocks - the camera doesn't move high enough to see the goal, so I never thought I was missing a spring. Since I couldn't get out of the pit, I quit and then downloaded it to see what was up.

My idea was for the previous parts of the course to build knowledge into the player. Right near the start, you had to put the spring in the block onto the other spring on the ground to get up. Later on you needed to take a spring on a lift to get up somewhere. The "HARD" section was labelled in order to tell the player that the next section wouldn't have as much hand holding and clues as the preceding sections. Because the player had to pick up two springs and put them somewhere before, the idea was for the player to know to pick up the last spring until needed. Once you're in the pit, the only way out would be using something to get really high, or hidden blocks like there was previously in the level. You actually need the combination of the two hidden blocks + the spring to get out. I put the blocks at that height because it didn't show the end, and the spring still gives enough additional height to reach the goal post. The end is also noticeable because the regular ground blocks don't connect to the end section.

Thanks for playing the level, though. I hope it was at least a little enjoyable before the end.

Mistle

EC2A-0000-0029-9CB6

Let me know what you think! Tried to make a fun level without any annoying parts, but I'm yet to know if I succeeded.

fernoca

Every time I play this and go to the Courses area, the concept of literally infinite Super Mario Bros. levels comes to ny mind and..is kinda crazy. XD

WELCOME TO THE GAF COMMUNITY LEVEL!!!

WVW69iYZmjIAyhUMur

What is the GAF Community Level?
This is where we band together, smash our heads collectively into one to create some of the most insane and awesome levels ever! We'll archive them all and they will be remembered as the best of the best (maybe. I don't know, but I thought it was a cool idea).
Everyone who participates works with a small section of the level and adds to it with their own flair. I'm allowing everyone with up to 3 sections of main area and/or sub area to do with what they please. That should allow for about 8-9 people participate in a single level.

Since this is the first one, rules may change as needed.

RULES

1. First come first serve- Please state if you are interested in adding to this level. If you are the first to post that you want to do it, you are the next one up.

2. Play the level- Play it in it's current state and complete it.

3. Download- Download the level into your Coursebot

4. Add to it- Here is where it gets funky with rules:
-- You get 3 sections to work with (The little bars on the bottom of the course maker screen).
-- If you want to work in a sub area, you only get one section main area and 2 sub area.
-- Do not adjust any one else's work.
-- Do not change the game type. I started in Super Mario world, so it should stay that way for consistency. If I made a certain area to play to SMW's rules, it may not work if switched to something like NSMB. If it makes it easier, section off your area clearly.
-- Make it possible for someone to complete. Don't make it balls hard. At least easy enough for a relatively decent mario player to get some enjoyment out of it.

5. Upload it- Add the next number up to the title (i.e. "GAF Community Level 2")

6. Share it- Post it in this thread

7. Go back to step one with the next person.

So who is interested?
Gaf Community Level said:
CE20-0000-002A-94C0

Should this be a thread instead? I think it can be.

The logarithm for determining if a level is "Expert" is super broken.

Deaths/Attempts only works if the levels aren't being made to be cheap garbage. But people are making levels that are cheap garbage just to get them into expert rotations.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hey... when you shake the little tube thing that emits a beam of fire, you get one that seems to shoot out some "black outlined" fire. What's the difference between the shaken and non-shaken version of this flame emitter ?

Hey... when you shake the little tube thing that emits a beam of fire, you get one that seems to shoot out some "black outlined" fire. What's the difference between the shaken and non-shaken version of this flame emitter ?
I think the only difference is that they take turns emitting fire. So if you have the regular one next to the black one, the timing is made so that they alternate.

It shoots fire on off-beats, while the regular shoots it on normal beats.

To put it more simply, normal on A, shaken on B.

BowieZ

Banned
Alright, got my internet back up. One of my levels:

Cheep Shot Grotto

9499-0000-002A-A377

It's not too challenging to complete, but it's full of secrets and little challenges, optional paths, and an optimum speed run path which is quite exhilarating to execute!

MrPanic

Timing, the black ones turn on when the red ones turn off.

98% of the levels in 100 Mario Challenge have creators that should be arrested.

Yeah, the levels that 100 Mario challenge throws at me almost make me lose fate in humanity. True horror level design.

Here's a level of mine.

The title is an optional objective, but I tried to make it like a classic Nintendo type of level. It's World style.

Find (3) 1-UPs!
55A3- 0000- 002A- 5C4D

Ok, this one is amazing

Thanks! It's a bit long with no checkpoints but I think it turned out fine. Obviously there aren't any triggers to hold into so I had to change the mechanic but in the end it's sorta the same - I suppose. I had something to stop P-Switches from one section to interfering in another - but it just turned kinda sluggish to play through so you can cheat and skip sections a bit if you're fast heh.

When I saw the moving vine mechanic I knew I wanted to recreate some DKC levels.

Reposting from a few pages back - would love some feedback on this remake. It's a bit long since there are no checkpoints but I think it does a great job in simulating the level's feel.

Alright - after 6 long hours and having to deal with the stupid ground-block limit (seriously, I filled both subscreens to the max without being halfway through the level) - here it is:

Doorstop Dash - a remake from the Second Level of Donkey Kong Country 3, of course with some differences considering there are no vines you can pull. It's a rather long level but there aren't really a lot of places for you to die. Near the end I got a bit lenient with the power-ups as well.

Code:
D1E8-0000-0029-AE5E
SJ3eFr4.jpg

Nia

Whoops I've stayed up till one in the morning making my first stage. I will finish it tomorrow, maybe. I'm trying to treat the stages I make with care. It started out daunting, but now it's fun seeing it come together.

McNum

Pipe-opolis

BA66-0000-002A-4DB2

PNAnpmX.jpg

jPoYLll.png

I always loved world 7 of Mario 3, just the idea of a world so focused on pipes. And it's just a neat aesthetic that's different from most Mario levels, with so much green.

I've also been annoyed at user-created levels using pipes in kind of weird, broken ways...not lining them up well, leaving the back end exposed, etc. So I wanted to make a level that treats pipes right, dammit! :p

It's not difficult at all, but it's relatively long, so I think it makes sense to keep things on the easy side.

Also I used the maximum number of pipes and vines, so that's why the end opens up into normal cave, but I think that turned out for the better anyway.
Fun level, interesting use of the pipe theme, it definitely has its own visual identity compared to most other levels you'd encounter in this game.

If I were to add one thing, it'd be guiding coins. There's a lot of jumps, some of them kind of precise, too. If you place coins at the apex of the intended jump arc, you'll get the player to release the jump button at the right time.

jnWake

I played an awesome SMW level with spiny beetles in Expert Rotation. Shame it was way too long and kind of difficult. I got tired and didn't beat it. SMM really needs checkpoints.

VandalD

Thanks for playing the level, though. I hope it was at least a little enjoyable before the end.
All of what you said makes sense to me after giving it a look in the editor. I didn't hate it, but I don't agree with certain decisions, like the required opening of hidden blocks to beat a level. I like to use those purely for alternate paths or shortcuts, and the occasion powerup or one-up. I hope my little bit of feedback was helpful and I hope others give your level a shot and voice their opinion.
I played an awesome SMW level with spiny beetles in Expert Rotation. Shame it was way too long and kind of difficult. I got tired and didn't beat it. SMM really needs checkpoints.
The lack of checkpoints really hurts some levels. I've played ones I've largely enjoyed, only for it to have one blind jump deep into it that ruins my attitude towards it. Assuming people would put checkpoints in their long levels, they'd be a nice addition.

Kangi

4EAvw9b.jpg

So many X! Thought the level was too simple and easy and yet only 3 people out of 66 beat it. 2 gave it a star at least. :p

My puzzle level that had, like, three enemies in it - all of which you don't have to go anywhere near - has about a 70% success rate. I legitimately don't know how people manage. There aren't even any hazards or falls.

And I believe the 66 is the attempts at it; the number of individuals who have played it is the "feet" number. 16 people managed to die 63 times on your level.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just a question: how do you create levels with different sections in them (like, first on the ground, then a tube into underground, then open again, then underwater, etc.etc.)? Is it something that's unlocked later or is there a specific way to do it?

VandalD

My level that had, like, three enemies in it - all of which you don't have to go anywhere near - has about a 70% success rate. I legitimately don't know how people manage.
The clear % had me confused for a while too. The number on the bottom is the total number of lives all players have used in trying to beat the level, and the number on top is the amount of clears. So if one person out of only a few more uses something like 30 lives to beat your level, that % is gonna plummet. It probably counts a life off when someone exits the level through the menu too.
Just a question: how do you create levels with different sections in them (like, first on the ground, then a tube into underground, then open again, then underwater, etc.etc.)? Is it something that's unlocked later or is there a specific way to do it?
Sub areas are the last thing you unlock, letting you have two different environments in one level that you switch between by using a pipe.

All of what you said makes sense to me after giving it a look in the editor. I didn't hate it, but I don't agree with certain decisions, like the required opening of hidden blocks to beat a level. I like to use those purely for alternate paths or shortcuts, and the occasion powerup or one-up. I hope my little bit of feedback was helpful and I hope others give your level a shot and voice their opinion.

The lack of checkpoints really hurts some levels. I've played ones I've largely enjoyed, only for it to have one blind jump deep into it that ruins my attitude towards it. Assuming people would put checkpoints in their long levels, they'd be a nice addition.

I just used the hidden blocks to build up to the end. All of them had coins around them, decreasing each time, and then the last ending one had nothing. I was hoping the player would think there would be another hidden block. The thing is, we aren't used to noticing patterns like this in a regular Mario game, so it could be a while before methods like these are noticeable and used regularly. Thanks for the feedback, and I will keep it in mind for my next levels.

I definitely would've put a checkpoint in my level if they were available. Hopefully an update adds them.

It's unlocked through time spent editing and items placed. When you get it, you drag Mario into a pipe to activate it.

KDR_11k

What's people's experience with stars? How many have the best of us got, what kinds of levels see the most stars?

I think I discovered a major glitch...

It happened when I went to upload my level...

I had created a track, and place two saws on the side of the track traveling the opposite direction. Now, I assumed they'd move at the same speed, and cross one another and then travel to opposite ends---and in editing, that's what happened.

Yet when I went to upload the track, when I got to that part, the saws suddenly were traveling right next to one another which doesn't make any sense...so it ruined the level because you had to jump over them when they crossed, which no longer occurred as they traveled side-by-side now. I had to remove that segment because it was impossible to clear, and just changed it to one saw.

Entities only become active when the screen reaches them AFAIK, means the delay between things is based on how quickly the player advances. In testing you might end up having them onscreen when you start the game so they start at the same time.

4EAvw9b.jpg

The number of attempts is how many times the level was started, every death or success counts there. The number of actual players is next to the footprint symbol. You can click on it to see who played the level and who completed and starred it.

WELCOME TO THE GAF COMMUNITY LEVEL!!!

WVW69iYZmjIAyhUMur

What is the GAF Community Level?
This is where we band together, smash our heads collectively into one to create some of the most insane and awesome levels ever! We'll archive them all and they will be remembered as the best of the best (maybe. I don't know, but I thought it was a cool idea).
Everyone who participates works with a small section of the level and adds to it with their own flair. I'm allowing everyone with up to 3 sections of main area and/or sub area to do with what they please. That should allow for about 8-9 people participate in a single level.

Since this is the first one, rules may change as needed.

RULES

1. First come first serve- Please state if you are interested in adding to this level. If you are the first to post that you want to do it, you are the next one up.

2. Play the level- Play it in it's current state and complete it.

3. Download- Download the level into your Coursebot

4. Add to it- Here is where it gets funky with rules:
-- You get 3 sections to work with (The little bars on the bottom of the course maker screen).
-- If you want to work in a sub area, you only get one section main area and 2 sub area.
-- Do not adjust any one else's work.
-- Do not change the game type. I started in Super Mario world, so it should stay that way for consistency. If I made a certain area to play to SMW's rules, it may not work if switched to something like NSMB. If it makes it easier, section off your area clearly.
-- Make it possible for someone to complete. Don't make it balls hard. At least easy enough for a relatively decent mario player to get some enjoyment out of it.

5. Upload it- Add the next number up to the title (i.e. "GAF Community Level 2")

6. Share it- Post it in this thread

7. Go back to step one with the next person.

So who is interested?

Here is the level code:
CE20-0000-002A-94C0

I'm quoting, because I think it's worth while.

Macheezmo

Here's another level I just made.

WVW69iYZ4WYrNVVHzH

Title: Wall Jumps Will Work
Tileset: NSMB
Difficult: Hard
Level Code: D7BE-0000-002A-BFF3
Description: I was just having some fun with tricky wall jumps. I ended up making the level a little harder than my initial intention, but it was still pretty fun to me. Good luck.

Seik

Banned
Learned 30 minutes ago that I could have everything by modifying the console's date.

All done, perfect!! Time to make some crazy shit!!! :D

Top Bottom