• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Danielsan

Made some minor revisions based on Belgian Dude's feedback.

89kpt9W.png

Wall Jump Cave - My attempt at a 'parkour' stage with fun secret areas
E32A-0000-0014-0C53

c0utk1T.jpg

Even though it was the first level I uploaded, it's the one I'm most happy with. I almost think the limited number of objects I had available made the design tighter somehow. Give it a go and see what you think, also check out my Pipe World and Easy World stages :D I try to keep my stages fair, if occasionally quite challenging.

Cyd0nia

Banned
wvw69iycwxusj62vk1g8sac.jpg

Subterranean Twirl Jump Alien

(E9A4-0000-002C-6694)

This one is based around lengthening your jumps using a twirl in the NSMB style. There are some little ledges near the beginning to help save you but mid way through to the end you're on your own. Have your twirl jump trigger finger ready for the last few jumps.

Finally finished that super meat bros level. That level really challenging.
Really like this game because alot user make great levels. Still have to complete all the challenge before i decide to make my own level.

Yokai

Hey guys, I made a kind of traditional style mario level. My brother made one too, want to know what people think of them.

First is Goomba Factory which is id

4769-0000-002B-9797

The next is Monster Launchers, which is id

ADC9-0000-002C-7962

Let me know what you guys think. I can't get screenshots super well because I have no capture card. Is there a better way to get screenshots?

qko

WVW69iYco0Ew0iVa-i

I'm not even trying to make Kaizo stages, and yet still manage to get no one to complete my stages

Castle Garabato (6433-0000-002C-55B3)

7threst

Hey guys, I made a kind of traditional style mario level. My brother made one too, want to know what people think of them.

First is Goomba Factory which is id

4769-0000-002B-9797

The next is Monster Launchers, which is id

ADC9-0000-002C-7962

Let me know what you guys think. I can't get screenshots super well because I have no capture card. Is there a better way to get screenshots?
With your Wii U Pad: tap the home button when you are at a point in your level of which you want to make a screen shot, open the browser and go to a hosting site like imgur.com or abload.de, select upload from local images and you have a great screenshot ehich you can upload :)

me0wish

Is this worth getting for the levels that are already in the game? I'm hardly interested in user created content, I have the feeling that they are poorly designed boring levels, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Qouting my self, need help deciding if I should get this or not.

R00bot

Qouting my self, need help deciding if I should get this or not.

Based on my knowledge after having only played around the first 25-ish levels, no. Most of them seem to be proof of concept kinda things. Some of them are fun, usually short.

I believe later on there are levels that are made by different people, such as the level made by the Rayman Creator, and the level that won the competition with all the facebook employees creations, as well as the Nintendo World Championship levels as the final ones.

That being said, some of the user content is pretty good, most of it isn't. All the popular levels seem centered around gimmicks which I don't usually find interesting, but hopefully those will subside once the game has matured.

Can you save the last Yoshi ever?

8CDF-0000-002C-D370

Made it easier to play since so many people die on my levels and never complete them.

Also if you find the secret exit you win a cookie with a special ingredient!

JoeM86

Based on my knowledge after having only played around the first 25-ish levels, no. Most of them seem to be proof of concept kinda things. Some of them are fun, usually short.

I believe later on there are levels that are made by different people, such as the level made by the Rayman Creator, and the level that won the competition with all the facebook employees creations, as well as the Nintendo World Championship levels as the final ones.

That being said, some of the user content is pretty good, most of it isn't. All the popular levels seem centered around gimmicks which I don't usually find interesting, but hopefully those will subside once the game has matured.
It's so weird that the highest rated levels are ones where you don't press anything.

Sölf

What exactly do I have to do to unlock the 100 levels that are already included? I know a few are fixed, like the 10 Mario Challenge ones or the ones that are example levels after unlocking new stuff. But those add up to not even 20, how do I get the others? Or where are they saved?

just log on to miiverse.com in your computer's (not WiiU) browser - find your own posts, and you can use the images it uploads automatically when you upload levels!

Stoze

Alright Gaf I'm running a little late, here's my new level made only using up to Day 2 tools;
Day 2: Spiny Colony
91B1-0000-002C-ECDC

WVW69iYdgi0usMjiTa

Spent about 5x the amount of time on this as I did my Day 1 course. Got obsessed with the little details in terms of telegraphing enemies and upcoming danger by looking at what the player sees on screen in certain areas. Also spent extra time making the level look good, and ran into the object limit which tacked on a lot of work. Overall I think it's better than my first course by a lot, but it's still very easy. Guessing around 35% completion rate for this.

Like my Day 1 course, you can carry full speed momentum 90% of the time, and there's exactly 100 coins to collect, none of which are out of the way/hidden.

Enjoy! Tomorrow I'll try and get more of your guys' courses in.

Why is everything not unlocking for me? It seems to do it day by day still. I've used every item once and still the next tier won't unlock. Wtf am I missing here?

Colombo

I only just unlocked the Super Mario Bros 3 template and am still waiting for more items to choose from but I have played nearly 6 hours of the game today! I also got an excellent bargain paying just $69 Australian dollars for game and amiibo and I can really see the game being endless fun for me.

BowieZ

Banned
Why is everything not unlocking for me? It seems to do it day by day still. I've used every item once and still the next tier won't unlock. Wtf am I missing here?
Are you drawing in LOTS of bricks and blocks? Maybe playtesting your level a couple of times too?

Rated-G

Spend 5 minutes actively placing things in edit mode, I pretty much use the Make option in the main menu, take a paintable block and color in the entire space, erase it, color again, or actually play around with enemies and power ups, after about 5 minutes I get a message saying the truck will come in the next day. But spending another 10 or so minutes fiddling in the editor, a message pops up saying the shipment arrived sooner than expected, and the next set of tools unlocks.

I make a point to use every tool at least once, but that alone doesn't trigger the next shipment. It seems to be active editing time based.

SuomiDude

Tried my hand at making a Metroid inspired level from scratch as my first creation. I wanted to capture the idea of the gated progression on a smaller scale, while not making it big enough to feel unfair given the lack of checkpoints. Some platforming spots are a bit more lenient without certain powers as well. I really started to feel limited with the available SMW tile sets and customization options over time, but I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

WoRx3vj.jpg

Super Metroid World
CD42-0000-002B-123B
Not sure how you intented this level to be cleared, but I just took the second trampolin with me, went the lower route and in the end used the trampolin to get to the end. Probably not how you meant :D

I was thinking of what DLC I'd like. If I could have anything, I'd have:

-Different backgrounds (eg SMW's forest background, SMB3's desert world sky)
-Angry Sun of Doom
-More classic suits (Frog Suit, Hammer Bros Suit etc)
-Choice of BGM for each type of level (Overworld, Athletic, Bonus Area etc)
-Playable Luigi/Peach/Toad characters in all modes
-SMB2 style including the ability to jump on and pick up enemies (also Shy Guys)

I'd totally pay money for this stuff.

Are you drawing in LOTS of bricks and blocks? Maybe playtesting your level a couple of times too?

Yeah, I built 2 full levels. Played them. Uploaded them. Do I need to create things on the New Mario set too? I've only done SMB1 so far.

Edit: I just spammed tons of blocks and got notified I'm close to unlocking a thing. Well, I'll keep spamming! When do you get SMW stuff?

Seiniyta

Goomba 1-1:

9E91-0000-002C-E5CC

I've took a concept of one of my earlier levels and tried to make a more straightforward level out of it that has a bit more polish to it. Give it a bash!

Forkball

It's so weird that the highest rated levels are ones where you don't press anything.

I think it's mostly because people are impressed at how it works as opposed to how it plays. The automatic ones are very creative and certainly took a lot of effort to make. The Mario Kart one is pretty amazing and really captures the feel of the game.

The "Most Starred" category is probably going to be reserved for extremely complex levels that are more awe-inspiring than fun to play. Though the Splatoon one in the top five is both.

KDR_11k

I think it's mostly because people are impressed at how it works as opposed to how it plays. The automatic ones are very creative and certainly took a lot of effort to make. The Mario Kart one is pretty amazing and really captures the feel of the game.

The "Most Starred" category is probably going to be reserved for extremely complex levels that are more awe-inspiring than fun to play. Though the Splatoon one in the top five is both.

Call of Duty design vindicated?

Firemind

Is it possible to recreate 1-2 in SMB3? I don't see any slopes in the pictures and videos shared. I always loved that stage. It's short and simplistic; it's only the second stage in the game. Yet it's so much fun to slide down the hills. And that upside down music box power-up!

wrowa

The Splatoon level is incredibly bland and bad. Its popularity is entirely based on "LOOK A SQUID POWERUP". Which sums up most of the popular stuff, really. It all seems to be build around gimmicks that get boring really, really fast.

I mean, I'm sure that the automatic levels took tons of effort and it's quite amazing how it all works together, but just using the tools provided by the game it's next to impossible to find any actually decent courses. In the popularity rankings you got tons of gimmicks, and in the 100 Mario challenge either super easy levels created in 5 minutes or completely fucked up cheap bullshit.

I hope they add some kind of group feature in the future. Would like to have GAF group etc. where I know that the people at least tried to make something that's fun to play.

I really enjoy these, especially the non-gimmicky levels. Okay, one try with the very basic elements:

6A95-0000-002D-0FBC

Learning the ropes...

Nintendo is really hitting it out of the park with this one. Incredible time sink and really great to play levels from others.

King_Moc

Banned
WVW69iYeApYnRsCR4o

Lovely Castle - 6DEB-0000-002D-0D9E

I'm somewhat hungover and that's stifled my creativity somewhat, hence the non-descript name. It has a secret (well, not that secret) route, which I couldn't actually beat the level without.

BooJoh

I've just finished working on my fifth level, one I'm particularly proud of.

Nightmares in 1-1

WVW69iYqHgkLqxdHt7

F2F6-0000-0034-3C40

My other 4 levels include an homage to Castlevania's first stage - which has a fairly low clear threshold to my surprise - and NSMBU-style remakes of the first 3 levels of Super Mario Land.

What's a maker gotta do to get starred?!? Of the 30-ish playthroughs of my three levels I've only been starred once. I feel like my levels are fairly thoughtful and fun, fair but challenging. Maybe I'm being too traditional.

Then I play some 100 Mario Mode and I'm happy to hand out a star to anything with a modicum of thought put into it with all the garbage out there.

Hmmmm.... I don't what I think of this so far. The nintendo created levels are good, but a lot of the UGC isn't much good (so far)

I mean its early days for sure and I'm sure things will get better, but for now, I'm unconvinced. Kinda agree with the game trailers review.

Since we're talking about the state of community levels, I'll just say be prepared for things like "I'll star your level if you star mine" and other such non-content in the future.

I have to say lack of mid-stage check points really puts me off some levels. I'll get 3/4 of the way through (a fact I won't know until I review it later) and keep dying near the end and decide, you know what I'm better off skipping this.

Which in turn explains:
I'm not even trying to make Kaizo stages, and yet still manage to get no one to complete my stages
Just looking at that start of that one might people might go "nope" and skip it.

Which brings on another fault. We see number of players who have tried the stage and overall number of attempts and wins. What we don't learn is how many of the tries are "nope, skip" and so we don't get idea of how many tries it took the players who did succeed.

I can see future patches nerfing the skip functionality.

Top Bottom