• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Sölf

Alright, reposting once, this time with crappy pictures inside!

Sölf;178581338 said:
Pictures aside, here are three of my new levels. Instead of crazy stuff I'm currently trying to build a few normal levels, which could be part of an official game (at least sort of). I would put them into World 3 or 4, difficulty wise.

WVW69iYUOkc1gkR_KD

Andarro's Plains:
3D3A-0000-0027-BEA3

WVW69iYQ_z8tZ2PCFh

Andarro's Mansion:
37A9-0000-0025-7AA2

WVW69iYSS1ENxRb4hz

Andarro's Castle:
B686-0000-0026-6C8E

Feedback would be appreciated. It's also my first haunted house.

I made a SMB underwater level with a theme that has what I think is a nice progression. Not too challenging, but enjoyable I hope. Would love some feedback!

Coastal Goomba Cave

(1C37-0000-001E-A406)

imagetls44.jpeg

VandalD

Only had two people play my latest level. If someone wants to give it a shot and let me know what they think, whether good or bad, I'd like that. It's not meant to be overly difficult, and there are different paths to take. It's in SMB3 style, because SMB3 is best style.

Explore the Drybone Lair - 8342-0000-0029-F6E2

Does anybody know how many stars you need before you can upload more levels?
Don't know. I'm at 31 stars and can still only upload 10.

Seik

Banned
Should be on your uploaded courses list; there's a small white "ID" button on the level info.

I just noticed it! I saw it was written 'ID' at first but then I tried clicking on it with my finger and it showed itself!

Bowser's Last Resort.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01cfpom.jpg

ID: 4044-0000-002B-CE52

Spent some time on this one, hope you guys will like it. :)

JoeM86

lol that's just wrong.

I want to see that level lol.

EDIT: What determines if your level shows up in the 100 Mario challenge Easy/Normal/Expert?

It's just simple things like water levels, "running duck slides", tackling two Hammer Bros. and, strangely, using the run button.

She's afraid of using the run button.

Does anyone know if something is preventing slopes from being included at an engine level or is it something that could conceivably make it into the game later either as dlc or in 2016 edition.

It was a couple of pages and two hours ago. People really shouldn't be bumping previously posted levels too soon. Makes an already difficult job of tracking what you want to play even harder.

(I did love your previous level though Belgian Dude, so will definitely be playing this one)

Yeah - sorry, I should have known better. Thread's already moving at lightning speed and I'm not helping reposting too soon, my bad.

Still, thanks!

Kalaidos

Neo Member
I also attempt to create stages that are based on the classic formula (introduce - expand - modify), while hopefully keeping the difficutly low enough to not become frustrating but remain challenging.

Here's a level I made that I'm pretty happy with:
It revolves around a slight puzzle mechanic that is introduced at the beginning and then continually expanded upon. I would gladly appreciate any sort of feedback.

Ship Security Shells

wvw69iynyso7qexqevblk2j.jpg

ID: CF6C-0000-0023-1B29

It's always surprising to see how much easier your own stages appear to yourself, whereas other players struggle at parts of your level that appear trivial at first. It's kinda hard for me to put myself into the role of a random player playing the level for the first time and to introduce the level mechanics in a "fail-safe" way.

Danielsan

Started off the morning by making a new level:

Edit: Revised based on feedback
89kpt9W.png

It's fairly meat and potatoes Super Mario World level, but I think it's turned out pretty well.
As always feedback is much appreciated.

Forkball

Finished my new course. I think this is probably my best one yet. It feels like a real Mario stage, but with nice doses of SMM wackiness. I finally have one stage from each game theme now.

A Castle of Ice and Fire
uiiHTL2.jpg

0C81-0000-002B-E7E4

Traverse icy platforms and battle fiery foes, complete with the best castle theme!

Here are my other ones.

World War Koopa
0RIjp69.jpg

0007-0000-001D-99A1

Fight an army of rocket launcher wielding koopas across several airships.

Zoo of Doom
wpJJ0m7.jpg

DC42-0000-0020-81AD

Enjoy a stroll while viewing Mario's toughest adversaries. Do NOT hit the P-Switch.

STOP! Waluigi Time!
LBB24LI.jpg

25F4-0000-0021-C007

Waluigi finally gets his own game. A quirky stage that captures his WAAAHness.

I've played a lot of GAFfer levels and they're pretty interesting. You guys could dial back on the hair thin jumps though.

Firemind

I vastly overestimated the average person's mario skills. Mental note, most people don't even know how to run correctly.
I really don't like how it's tied to X instead of B.

Also is there an option to not have NSMB stages show up? Can't stand the babaaaing. I just skip whenever one shows up.

This is so fucking awesome. I downloaded it last night (wouldn't normally get digital games for Wii U but it's only like 1.4gb including the updates) and had so much fun just playing other users levels. I'll probably do that a bit more before I jump into creating my own.

I tried this one level (an SMB3 one but the creator's name escapes me right now) maybe 30 times, noone has cleared it as yet and I got right near the end but it looks to be virtually impossible from there... I can't recall ever feeling as challenged (in a good way) and determined to finish the level in any Mario game before.

m0t0k1

Only had two people play my latest level. If someone wants to give it a shot and let me know what they think, whether good or bad, I'd like that. It's not meant to be overly difficult, and there are different paths to take. It's in SMB3 style, because SMB3 is best style.

Explore the Drybone Lair - 8342-0000-0029-F6E2

Don't know. I'm at 31 stars and can still only upload 10.

50 stars increased my slots to 20, and 150 stars made it 30 slots.

Thanks for the answers guys i am still at 20 stars so i need to wait a long time before i reach those 50 stars. Guess my levels are a bit too hard for the average player. I will try your level in a couple of hours. I'll let you know what it think.

Teknoman

Finished my new course. I think this is probably my best one yet. It feels like a real Mario stage, but with nice doses of SMM wackiness. I finally have one stage from each game theme now.

A Castle of Ice and Fire
uiiHTL2.jpg

0C81-0000-002B-E7E4

Traverse icy platforms and battle fiery foes, complete with the best castle theme!

Here are my other ones.

World War Koopa
0RIjp69.jpg

0007-0000-001D-99A1

Fight an army of rocket launcher wielding koopas across several airships.

Zoo of Doom
wpJJ0m7.jpg

DC42-0000-0020-81AD

Enjoy a stroll while viewing Mario's toughest adversaries. Do NOT hit the P-Switch.

STOP! Waluigi Time!
LBB24LI.jpg

25F4-0000-0021-C007

Waluigi finally gets his own game. A quirky stage that captures his WAAAHness.

I've played a lot of GAFfer levels and they're pretty interesting. You guys could dial back on the hair thin jumps though.

The world needs more classic video game style skull shaped platforms. I'll look up one, follow you and then test out your stages later today. Even following people and getting sets of stages to complete/test takes up a lot of time lol.

I gotta say the whole sharing thing is garbage. Not being able to easily share with your friends is stupid and how hidden all the code imput is is crazy.

bounchfx

I gotta say the whole sharing thing is garbage. Not being able to easily share with your friends is stupid and how hidden all the code imput is is crazy.

I am a bit confused why I'm unable to just look at all my friend's created levels

...or that I have to open miiverse just to leave a comment. why is that not built in?

Tidalwave

Here are my first two levels...
PWJpvbc.jpg

"P" in the clouds
(F45A-0000-002B-C873)
-Easy-

B5nVfDp.jpg

Walking the Dogs
-Hard-
(E643-0000-002B-0DA1)

Message me your thoughts :)

Tried my hand at making a SMW style ghost house. Those types of puzzles are fun to come up with.

Give it a try and lemme know what you think: 36C8-0000-002C-2383

Danielsan

I also attempt to create stages that are based on the classic formula (introduce - expand - modify), while hopefully keeping the difficutly low enough to not become frustrating but remain challenging.

It revolves around a slight puzzle mechanic that is introduced at the beginning and then continually expanded upon. I would gladly appreciate any sort of feedback.

Ship Security Shells

It's always surprising to see how much easier your own stages appear to yourself, whereas other players struggle at parts of your level that appear trivial at first. It's kinda hard for me to put myself into the role of a random player playing the level for the first time and to introduce the level mechanics in a "fail-safe" way.
Amazing level. Very well designed. I seemed to have a few instances of the shell spawning not working properly, but other than that, nothing but praise.

Are you not notified when someone you followed makes levels? Makes the feature pretty pointless, then =/, only found that Link Man uploaded a new world through here.

Some feedback.

I love the sense of cohesion you give to these stages - taking the Boo down on 2-4 was super satisfying. And by the way, good job: 2-4 has pretty good pacing for an autoscroller and I really liked the airship feel.

However, 2-1 has got to be my favourite (though I died a couple times in the cloud segment) - it's super well paced and speedrunning feels super satisfying. The idea of getting the switch and coming back is great as well. You got me with the star in the lower route, though, I destroyed the bettle sheel and couldn't get the mushroom. I think another power-up somewhere could be fun.

2-2 is a fun underwater level that serves its purpose. It's entertaining (though the ? block in the alcove being assymetrical puts me off because I'm stupid) and it was fun. It's the only one where the Boo doesn't feel like a big threat though. 2-3 was fun (Mario Kart stage, woop woop) but kinda easy for its purpose and also too simplistic for my tastes. It's the one I least liked, but it's still pretty well paced.

Great job and I look forward for more! It's a super fun classical set!

Started off the morning by making a new level:

Uukm0jr.png

It's fairly meat and potatoes Super Mario World level, but I think it's turned out pretty well.
As always feedback is much appreciated.

Pretty fun, but it has a problem that a bunch of SMW levels kinda have - Cape breaks it. And thus, it felt too short (even though playing through a different route shows that it's not really the case) - after the first Hammer Bros. set (barely messing with the first platform) I get the Cape and blast straight to the finish line - a bit of a bummer in an otherwise pretty solid stage.

Ship Security Shells

Loved it! Really well-designed and it builds up so nicely. Loved the segment where you throw the shell at some springs and it goes through a path above - and I love how it's sort of split in two similar airships. The top part in the first leading to a bonus being mirrored with the second part (now with spikes on the platforms for added challenge) was really really nice.

I do feel, however, that spawning out enemies instead of empty shells would make things more intuitive. Particularly since you can pass through Clouds from below, it sorta makes you feel like you need to use it as a helmet (SMW being the only style where you can throw it up doesn't help).

Besides that - my only complaint is that I don't like Bowser Jr. It does serve as an interesting fight but imo the space is too constrained and I just find him as not a good boss, so it sorta makes the end lack a bit of the impact the other areas had. Now if you had to beat Bowser Jr. by throwing shells into holes and watching them as they went through a maze and hit him, I think it'd be better and more in the spirit of the level (more difficult to make, of course). Still - that's minor, and I really loved the course.

Here are my first two levels...
PWJpvbc.jpg

"P" in the clouds
(F45A-0000-002B-C873)
-Easy-

B5nVfDp.jpg

Walking the Dogs
-Hard-
(E643-0000-002B-0DA1)

Message me your thoughts :)

Played the first one. Harder than you think it is: SMW style (at least for me) makes it super easy to accidentaly throw a switch away - you should definitely have refills - and some of the positions of the flying spinies make it really uncomfortable to stay put while waiting for the switch to end. Really liked the part right after the flying spinies, though, made me rush a lot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i just made my first level: walljumpin' (by goombawoomba)

9308-0000-0027-58B1

I like this, quite simple but the koopas make you a little uneasy - do I need them to make that jump? Etc.

Also really like you 'get me out of here level (C762-0000-002A-3B72). Can't quite complete it normally but managed to find the secret path :) got very close but those damn ghosts right at the end..

Is there any way to adjust how the ghosts track you? I thought they'd follow you all the way across a level but those you have at the end don't seem to move until you arrive in the area. I put some in a level I was making and they kept following me and wouldn't stay put.

This is my first real level. I was thinking about it after learning about the buzzsaw/grinder obstacle, so I had a theme going with that
(And Boos. Lots of Boos)

93E3-0000-002C-2307
Grindhouse Manor
Difficulty: Normal/Hard

WVW69iYcXh05dLkMID

You have eluded Bowser's pursuits, but the real horror is just beginning...

zeioIIDX

TMNT Area 2 Remix: A7EE-0000-002C-396D

Tried to make a mini remix of the insanely hard underwater part from TMNT on the NES. I admit this is nowhere near as tough as the original...I had a lot of fun making it! Sadly, because of the item limit I was unable to recreate the entire underwater section with some of the harder parts. Cowabunga dude!

cyba89

I don't understand why I get levels with 40 plays and zero stars in 100 Mario-mode. Shouldn't there be a system that prevents this junk from showing up?

And that third stage of the
fly swatter
minigame is impossible for me.

galvatron

I just noticed it! I saw it was written 'ID' at first but then I tried clicking on it with my finger and it showed itself!

Bowser's Last Resort.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01cfpom.jpg

ID: 4044-0000-002B-CE52

Spent some time on this one, hope you guys will like it. :)

Got up to bowser and died...then died again because his fire pattern as I came up on the giant bomb was perfection. Many tries later I finally got it.

If I had to sum up my complaints there's a lot of random stuff going on...hammer bros on platforms, kamek, boos, flying bowser, jumping lava balls while I'm riding an unfamiliar track high above the lava...so many places to die because you haven't dialed in the routine or it changed on you slightly.
A mushroom could have helped with that.

Also, that thwomp after the door catches me really often...I'm kinda feeling it at that point and then I have to slowdown so I don't die from getting into a groove.

Still, really great first effort

Nosgoroth

Yay, I got 50 stars, I can continue uploading levels!

Priority Airmail. A straight-froward SMW airship level, with three optional 1-up mushrooms hidden. I wish I could use star coins :(

The three 1-ups, in case you try it and can't find them:

1) Easy.
At the start, above. Jump on top of a Bullet Bill from the second launcher to get to it.
2) Hard.
Get the spring from the top on-rails platform (to get to it without receiving damage, carry a shell, then to go back safely use the P-switch to get rid of the launcher) and carry it through the bottom on-rails platform to the next airship. Then jump on it and go slightly left. The 1-up is in a hidden block to the left of the fire flower.
3) Normal.
When you come across the red Bullet Bill launcher, jump on the P-switch and go back through the new path below the airship.

Impressions, please!

Danielsan

Pretty fun, but it has a problem that a bunch of SMW levels kinda have - Cape breaks it. And thus, it felt too short (even though playing through a different route shows that it's not really the case) - after the first Hammer Bros. set (barely messing with the first platform) I get the Cape and blast straight to the finish line - a bit of a bummer in an otherwise pretty solid stage.
Thanks for the feedback Belgian Dude. I guess I might opt to remove the cape.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Ship Security Shells

Great level, really fun mechanic.

7threst

This is my first real level. I was thinking about it after learning about the buzzsaw/grinder obstacle, so I had a theme going with that
(And Boos. Lots of Boos)

93E3-0000-002C-2307
Grindhouse Manor
Difficulty: Normal/Hard

WVW69iYcXh05dLkMID

You have eluded Bowser's pursuits, but the real horror is just beginning...
Not at home now so can't try it but man, this image really gives off some Castlevania III vibes, lol

TheMoon

The universal "search" icon at the top is not "hidden."

I am a bit confused why I'm unable to just look at all my friend's created levels

...or that I have to open miiverse just to leave a comment. why is that not built in?

Play a level, comment on it at the end or in the middle wherever you are.

Forkball

Got up to bowser and died...then died again because his fire pattern as I came up on the giant bomb was perfection. Many tries later I finally got it.

If I had to sum up my complaints there's a lot of random stuff going on...hammer bros on platforms, kamek, boos, flying bowser, jumping lava balls while I'm riding an unfamiliar track high above the lava...so many places to die because you haven't dialed in the routine or it changed on you slightly.
To be fair, that sounds like something Bowser would do.

Teknoman

You know, its really odd that Super Mario 3 has such a grating background layer for its Ghost House BGM. Sounds outta place when the rest of the theme is cool. Just totally brought down by that siren noise.

tanuki

They really need at a function to share level "playlists", like you would have on Spotify. Then someone could curate a GAF recommended playlist. Can't be that hard to implement.

Robin64

Battle with a Giant Foe
E1B4-0000-002C-799C

WVW69iYc59MlCYFyli

Wanted a level that appears at the end of 100 Mario Challenge runs and isn't just garbage. People deserve better.

(Aiming for about 50% completion rate. Remember, you guys consider my Pikmin level to be easy and that only has 60% completion rate. :p)

My friend Chris did the same, made a decent castle level for the hope it appears in 100 Mario Challenge runs.

Fiery, Feathery Fortress
32BD-0000-002C-8BF7

WVW69iYdCxA6OsEL6G

JoeM86

Good grief, actually just had my physical copy delivered...on a Sunday.

Ah well, still get a T-Shirt, book and amiibo, even if I sell my physical copy

Top Bottom