• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Regiruler

I would love it if someone would play these and give feedback: I built these over the course of 3 days or so, and I need someone else to gauge them. I wish I could reciprocate, but I'm leaving tomorrow morning and won't have access to my console again for about a month.

WVW69ifyrCEz_Gu9Ke

Perplex Cavern-1 (Feather in your Cap)
(7AC8-0000-00B5-EF50)

I was bored and tinkering with one of the attract mode levels, and actually came around to a neat little concept. This one is very short and easy if you know what you're doing, just pay attention to the patterns.

WVW69ifzQiUElYPxPm

Plant Dominion-1 (Mouthful of Mario)
(50EC-0000-00B6-0D19)

This was a mechanical testpiece used to more easily demonstrate a mechanic that I was going to use in a later level. I understand that virtually no-one will play them together, let alone in order, but I wanted to do so for thematic purposes. This is a moderately challenging level with various different paths, and some minor optional backtracking.

The beginning starts with a jump that's actually way too tricky in comparison of the rest of the level.
The trail of coins can lead directly to your death if the jump isn't right and leading right into piranha plants that you can't see unless too late.
The goombas and the koopa at the start are also too closely put that you can have trouble reacting to them in a timely manner.
After that the path to the start was satisfying.
The rest of the level was nice enough for my taste, the way to get the flagpole at the end was actually ingenuous but you need to make sure you can only reach the top of the pole without a simple run and jump.
Good start I'd say.
I tried your other level and I like how there's really 2 different ways to play it.
Also I'd say to not be afraid to make short level to start with to get a better feel of what works and what doesn't.

Hey man, thanks for taking a look at my levels! These are my first two, and hopefully, my next few will be a lot better.

That first jump is meant to be a little deadly, but you're right. I should probably take it out, or change it. Glad that you figured out the path back to the start. I was worried it wouldn't make sense.

Thanks again for taking a look, and taking time out to give feedback!

Whoa whoa whoa, Super Mario Maker's New Super Mario Bros U graphics are pre-rendered sprites??? Holy shit. I was under the impression they were realtime 3d just like NSMB U was!!!!

Killua

Here are the last two levels I made.

WVW69if0xh0dU310PF

Bomb's Away (Multipath)
(9407-0000-00B6-3FBE)

Bomb's Away is my newest level. I worked really hard in making it very detailed with two different paths to take as well as a secret third path. Recommended.

WVW69if0ukYG2x70zu

Bumper Cars From Hell!
(6C83-0000-00B6-3CB6)

Bumper Cars from Hell is more of an arcade style level. It can be tricky but it's pretty fun.

Whoa whoa whoa, Super Mario Maker's New Super Mario Bros U graphics are pre-rendered sprites??? Holy shit. I was under the impression they were realtime 3d just like NSMB U was!!!!

It's more noticeable if you pay attention to the animation or take a look at enemies after giving them a mushroom. The angry Wiggler's walk cycle has a somewhat obvious lack of frames, for example.

0GhLSDz.png

And with that, we have a clear winner of the first SMM-GAF Community Contest!

Congratulations to..

..Kebiinu who took SMM-GAF's hearts by storm with his level, Koopa Trails!

ID: 427A-0000-0051-51C6

JYV6Zmp.jpg

Runner-up is BelgianDude with Super Climber Bros. 1-1, congrats!

A whole lot of people on third place so I'm just adding the first two to the showcase for now.

I wanna thank everyone for participating and voting! My job was made easy by you guys adhering to the rules as well as you did, I'm very happy about that. It was a whole lot of 1-1 to go through but I hope everyone had a fun time thinking about the intricacies of a 1-1 design either while making a level or playing other contestants' levels. Look for a new tournament in the near future!

Congratulations Kebiinu! Your level was one of my favourites of the bunch and that's a well-deserved victory!

I'm SO surprised (and obviously glad) that I got second place though, I'd have never expected with the quality of some of the levels I played and there were some things with my own level that I wasn't completely satisfied but I'm so goddamn glad you all enjoyed it.

I wasn't expecting getting past the first round, even less second place overall and it's really making me thrilled.

Congratulations to daydream as well! I messed up some of the timing and wasn't able to vote as well as I could but you did an amazing job hosting the contest and we got to see so much amazing stuff that it was really really worth it. Seriously, bang-up job.

correojon

Alright! I quite liked it, I like the idea behind it and the presentation but there are several things that bothered me:

- Waiting for that P-switch at the beginning can be a bit annoying after a few tries
- When Koopa is going on the elevator for the first time, you can just wait on the second floor for the mess to happen, and then climb up calmly.
- In general, the level can feel a bit passive as a lot of stuff is happening around you, but you don't necessarily need to move, you just wait for the contraptions to activate because it's safer not too move.
- I liked the part with the bridge exploding as you just have enough time to realize what is going to happen and save yourself
- Towards the ending, it seems impossible to avoid the first group of stacked enemies

But again, impressive level nonetheless, must have taken quite a bit of time!
Thanks for the detailed feedback!
  • I wanted the player to be annoyed by the big Koopa from the start, but it seems I overdid it. I´ll add something for the player to do while the P-Switch is active, that´ll make it less annoying and the player will be able to choose if he wants to wait or take a detour.
  • Hmmm...right, I´ll have to think of something.
  • Yeah you´re right, I think it shows my inexperience with contraptions. I´ll try to make all the parts involving the Koopa Bomber more active.
  • Credit goes to Mael for this one, there was a very similar part in his Airship Infestation level (901F-0000-0098-E291), which was what inspired my level :)
  • It´s not possible to jump over them, you have to turn back. I stacked so many bombs to make that clear. The big bombs trapped under the bridge won´t blow the whole bridge, they will always leave some small pieces of it where you can stand safely. When the Big Koopa with the bombs confronts you directly, just turn back and move to a part of the bridge that has already exploded. I wanted this moment to surprise the player and make him release the run button and think of something while bombs are about to explode and the Koopa is coming at him with everything. I think it´s a pretty cool moment :).
I´ll replay Planets 1-1, 1-2 and 1-3 later today and give you feedback on the final versions.

Very nice concept, although I was super annoyed by the big koopatroopa before I realized he was the captain.
Haha thanks! I was trying to make the player hate the big Koopa, it seems it turned out alright XD

I have to say that I didn't let the 1rst one do anything as I just flew past him because of the bomb traps just before.
the second one I was kinda hoping they would die before I had to do anything.
Good scare on that one!
Yeah if you see him coming you can just stop and wait for him to explode, at most you have to retreat a bit.

RtDL5 is actually my fav I played from you, there's some issues like how you can get trapped if you ever try to backtrack from a previous place.
You used the bombs concept way better than I thought about it, it's not too random and not too scripted with some nice jumping sections.
Really awesome!
Thanks! You know, it was your level that gave me the idea for this one :)
I didn´t really think about the player backtracking as the level is always pushing him forward, I´ll have to look into that.

0GhLSDz.png

Congratulations to..

JYV6Zmp.jpg

A whole lot of people on third place so I'm just adding the first two to the showcase for now.

I wanna thank everyone for participating and voting! My job was made easy by you guys adhering to the rules as well as you did, I'm very happy about that. It was a whole lot of 1-1 to go through but I hope everyone had a fun time thinking about the intricacies of a 1-1 design either while making a level or playing other contestants' levels. Look for a new tournament in the near future!
Congrats to all the finalists, I really had a hard time deciding who to vote for; in the end it was the small details that tipped the scale.

And thanks to daydream for organizing this and for all the work!

Schlomo

Thanks for all the feedback! You guys are the best!

I really liked your level!
In the room with conveyor belts, do you have to fall down?

No, but I made it intentionally very hard not to. ;)

What an interesting weird level lol. Really liked the underground puzzle where
the flame bar was your "time limit"
. Did I cheese it by just
flying right to the goal with the cape once I got Yoshi?
:>

D'oh! I guess I should add a roadblock to prevent this or exchange the cape with a fire flower...

Enjoyed it! Was bizarre and felt nothing like any other Mario level. I think there needs to be an easier way to indicate what blocks need to be hit towards the end where the last huge fireball arm is rotating.

Still, level was boss. Great job!

It's hard to balance it so it's not too easy. I deliberated for some time whether to make the POW jump on one or two rows of blocks. But since there's not much else to do there I hope most players will notice it eventually and find it exhilarating rather than frustrating.

I love what you have done to set the mood with the music blocks and all the theming, you really nailed the atmosphere of a spooky laboratory.
The arrow pointing to the DNA (the small spike passage with the pow block) misguided me the first time, I went into the passage as Super Mario, took a hit and powerboosted to get the Pow Block and get out...so I finished the level in just a few seconds. You should make that passage longer so this is not possible to do and get rid of the arrow, or point it in the other way so it guides the player past the passage the first time.
The second time I played the level as intended, cool idea the big spinning flames. It took me a while to see
the trampoline hidden over a yellow block
, maybe you could put an arrow there or something. You´re moving so fast to not get hit and it´s in the top border so sometimes the camera will mess around and won´t make it visible.
I am making a spooky laboratory myself, mind if I borrow the music blocks thing? It´s really an awesome idea.

The idea was that the arrows show the spot of the DNA machine where the sample has to be placed. I didn't realize someone could jump in there! Maybe I should just add a one-way wall there.

And of course feel free to use the music blocks in the same way, it's not like I invented it! I think Sporky's Tick Tock Shop works in the same way for example.

Some random feedback on Schlomo´s One Minute in Heaven course (5ED1-0000-006C-9133):
Really challenging and fun level! I recommend this to anyone who wants a small burst of adrenaline, it will take you some tries to beat this, but you´ll see how you slowly get further and further everytime. I enjoyed it a lot! :D

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm still waiting for someone to find all shortcuts and beat my record of 21 seconds! ;)

correojon

The idea was that the arrows show the spot of the DNA machine where the sample has to be placed. I didn't realize someone could jump in there! Maybe I should just add a one-way wall there.
I understood the arrow was telling me that was the DNA machine, so I thought that by going through the spikes it would get Mario´s DNA to create a superior breed of dinosaurs with moustaches XD

And of course feel free to use the music blocks in the same way, it's not like I invented it! I think Sporky's Tick Tock Shop works in the same way for example.
Great, thanks! I´ll try Sporky´s stage too.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm still waiting for someone to find all shortcuts and beat my record of 21 seconds! ;)
I had already tried this level a week or so ago and couldn´t beat it, but yesterday I was in the right mood and got trapped by it, I couldn´t stop until it was down! It was a nice challenge. I beat it with just 3 or 4 seconds because I missed a jump in the last part, but getting the time down to 21 seems impossible! I found the first shortcut
running between the pipes
, but I always mess the last jump and end not saving much time. I think I found another one
in the Grinder section
but I didn´t use it in my last attempt as I couldn´t reliably take it without being hit.

I saw a cloud under the goal in the middle of nowhere, what´s that for?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
0GhLSDz.png

Videos of my play through of NeoGAF's 1-1 finalists are here now :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPsIPxW7zlo&ab_channel=ShibaFanGaming

- BGBW
- BowieZ
- Junahu
- Nohar
- Belgian Dude
- Boba2007
- Kebiinu
- Dad
- Nocturnowl
- Sixfortyfive
- Robin64
- Sölf
- SuperJay

Hope you guys enjoyed the stream and the video ! Really looking forward to seeing who wins in the end. Very tough to decide who should win for sure since all the stages are so good :D
This is actually the first time I've seen one of my levels played so thanks for that. It was rather weird to see it played by someone other than myself. I should note that the high pipe you were having difficulty with was designed that you can jump off the block to get up. It was kind of funny that you instead used the block to get on the the lower pipe without thinking about it every time you tried the jump again. Also you can get the end goal, but you have to keep up your momentum.

PS. the 'nya' is meant to be like the Japanese onomatopoeia for a cat's meow. It's an in joke with another GAF community.

After reading the feedback from every one for my level (and many thanks for voting for me for the final) and having played the 1-1 levels of others I have learnt the things I did wrong. Yeah, the beginning area was probably too hazardous and I probably should have stretched it out but since you can't easily shift a whole level I kept it as is since the rest of the level had been planned around a speed running path (the coins actually indicate what pipes you should jump off if running at full speed). Also it showed almost all elements of the level (Koopas, pipes and hill platforms) on one screen. Also, on the flipside SMW's first level does open with an enemy running straight at you. ;)

Interesting that many thought having a pipe on the first screen was too soon. I'll have to remember that. I'll be honest, that bonus room was the last thing I added since I realised I should probably have a kick a shell for a 1-up somewhere in a level about Koopas and I just added it to that pipe to put a bit of distance between the two pipe rooms. Maybe I should have made the warp pipe a few pipes in.

And congratulations to Kebiinu for being the winner!

Schlomo

I had already tried this level a week or so ago and couldn´t beat it, but yesterday I was in the right mood and got trapped by it, I couldn´t stop until it was down! It was a nice challenge. I beat it with just 3 or 4 seconds because I missed a jump in the last part, but getting the time down to 21 seems impossible! I found the first shortcut
running between the pipes
, but I always mess the last jump and end not saving much time. I think I found another one
in the Grinder section
but I didn´t use it in my last attempt as I couldn´t reliably take it without being hit.

I saw a cloud under the goal in the middle of nowhere, what´s that for?

You're spot on for the first two. As for the cloud, I think you can guess. ;)

Axiom

ROtHkWY.jpg

They Follow.
2F65-0000-00AB-3E28

It has been updated with some minor tweaks to the overall flow and the beginning section has been made clearer. Not different enough to play again if you've already done so, but I very much appreciate all the feedback (though given all the lovely comments on the previous version I've not had the heart to delete it yet)

0GhLSDz.png

Congratulations to..

It was really fun playing through all these levels, even if my level had gone through and you could vote for your own level - I still wouldn't have because levels like Koopa and Climber are just that damn good.

Great stuff from everyone!

Mario Fights The Cavity Creeps!
3D9C-0000-00B0-6AAC

Very creative, but once you're in the mouth it's very flat with not a whole lot to do.

Super Mario Bros 3 World 7 Level 7 Remake
4480-0000-00B1-5D5B

I don't remember the original level, but with the flat platforming and all the pipes, it felt a bit like Flappy Bird

Head Over Heels
0B41-0000-00AA-F640

Really enjoyed the concept here, simple but fun to play. Main complaint is that I decided to start over to make that 'exit' jump simply because it seemed so much easier to do that running over the bricks than trying to make the jump otherwise

Helpful Bullet Bill Is Helpful
4D68-0000-00A5-2519

Simple, but to the point and I enjoyed this

Volatile Vines
A22C-0000-00B3-195A

If a vine is meant to be hit from only one side, then make sure somehow that the player can only hit it from that one side. I learnt this lesson myself from an early level, no matter how well you sign-post it, players will do things the hard way. There's also a whole lot of waiting around for vines to come back to you.

The wall of fire plants just seemed like busy work that added nothing to the level. Frankly I got so sick of doing it that I just ended up tanking through it with the super mushroom since you replace it right after.

You have a flying platform zooming along a wire, and yet obscure the length of the vine with coins so someone can easily fall to their doom?

There's a lot of good solid ideas here but not all in the same level, it's too long and I felt frustrated in all the worst ways. Sorry.

Splatoon - Inkvisible Avenues
0363-0000-009E-B0CE
Quite fun and impressive use of the mechanic, especially the way you show the player where they can go. I think it was about the perfect length and escalated quite well. I'd be interested to see how this idea would work as part of a level in which it is not the sole mechanic.

Help There's a GHOST Inside!
Code: ACCF-0000-009C-9015
Had fun, got stuck trying to find a secret but enjoyed that you have more level to see after the goal

Companion Bob-Omb & The 4 Ticks
ID: D3D4-0000-00AE-0582

I really enjoyed this stage and the use of music, but when I checked again and realised I was supposed to have used the bomb the entire time I really feel I wouldn't have had much fun. I was able to complete the level fine without the bomb!

Goomba Adventure ||| C9CC-0000-00B5-4B8A

Quite fun, but a bit slow to begin with.

《MGS: Mario Gets Stealthy》
8639-0000-0042-0FB3

Loved it, but seemed to go on a tiny bit longer than it needed to.

RtDL5: Bomb Battle in Sky Bridge
944B-0000-00B5-13D6

Enjoyed this, felt the back half of the level was much stronger than the first half
Wiggler´s Steampunk Tree (DD65-0000-00B5-171F)

I really enjoyed this, but frankly I must say I was confused by what I was even supposed to do for an embarrassingly long time.

Don't Move; Hop to the Beat! 
6EC3-0000-00AA-4B95

Quite enjoyed this, great length for what you require of the player.

Manipulate Dice Blocks! (w/hints)
4061-0000-00A9-638E

Really fun. I'm typically not big on puzzles that you only get one shot at but the concept here is so strong.

Double

I made a second revision of my very first level, resulting in:

Spiky Rollercastle v1.2 (even easier)

3F54-0000-00B6-F6A8

I made a bunch of adjustments to it to make it easier (v1.1 sits at a 4% clear rate), most notably:

• Tweaked the very beginning so players are even less likely to die before the first powerup
  • Much less chance of death when the helmet is forced onto the player
  • A little something secret for those with patience somewhere at the beginning
  • Added a powerup before the 2 final challenges of the level
  • Adjusted the very last jump to make it a bit easier

Also some adjustments to the secret path:

• Made it a bit more obvious so players are more likely to check it out
  • A bit easier to reach now
  • Took the three goombas out of the way while making the hint for the last section a bit more obvious
  • Changed the secret reward :>

I was thinking about adding RagnarokX's checkpoint system, but didn't have the space and all my work for my shortcut system at the secret route would be kinda redundant.

Back to finishing my second level now, of which you can get a tease by checking out this short scrapped part of it: (*repost*)

Skullride Mansion - The Lost Room
(5E46-0000-00A9-26F4)

skullridemansion-tlri6sf8.jpg

woopWOOP

Finally made a level I feel decent about. It's more of a puzzle level though, if you can call it that. Clear the way so you and the 'red line' can safely make it across the chasm.

The Red Line! (Helps You Jump)
F29F-0000-00B5-9752

WVW69ifxCDwelgE6oe

A different stage on my alt account seems liked so I guess I can share that one too. This is more of a straightforward action stage. That cloud is one mean bully.

Cloud Bully
5A71-0000-00AE-D1AB

WVW69ifRv7w0YRtJt1

CrisKre

I did a level trying to incorporate a ton of environental detail and secrets to the best of my abilities with the tools provided. Built it keeping Retro Studios in mind thinking what would a level made by them look and feel like.

Without further ado, I give you:

WVW69if5ZBsiKP1GxA

Holy Monty Mole-y grotto trails
D8D0-0000-00B7-1278

Here is a short video of the start of the level:

https://youtu.be/eYpcncAF9wo

Would appreciate you guys trying it and giving me your opinion!

galvatron

Finally had some time to play this again and polished off what I think is a challenging, but fair level. I'm aiming for special/ super star road difficulty. The stage has my take on a snake platform, fire jets, thwomps and 4-1ups (yeah, still wanted to let you get 3 if you skip a section). There are also shortcuts and some "script breaking" if you know some of the lesser known abilities mario has. These aspects allow someone to collect every coin in the stage in one run.

Skull King's Keep - C45C-000-00B1-0C27
k6F9byv.jpg

You'll find an easier version at

Skull King's Keep: Helmet Edition - 83BB-0000-00B5-DE50

Feedback would be greatly appreciated

Mario Is Sick Of 1-1 Remakes

CBAF-0000-00B6-2EAC

Mario has had to wade through an endless stream of crappy 1-1 remakes since launch and he's finally had it (yes, I do appreciate the irony).

CRxPbOXU8AAC5dz.jpg

KooopaKid

Banned
Follow-up from yesterday :

Planet 1-5 of the Super Mario Planets series :

Change logs:

- Blocked the way to the right on the second planet that allowed to skip a cool part of the level.
- Change the block puzzle at the end so you can't brute force through it

Code: D3C8-0000-00B7-480F

U4q2CBf.jpg

Planet 1-6 :

Change logs:

- Made the cloud platforms thicker at the beginning so you can't fall through
- Change the shape of the last bubble of thoughts so that you can't glide and skip the last challenge

Code: DE2B-0000-00B7-52B9

ILkBMch.jpg

Planet 1-7 :

Change logs:

- Changed the shape of the letters so that they are round when possible
- Changed the U and V obstacles

Code: DD84-0000-00B7-560F

LUXVKXm.jpg

Planet 1-8 :

Change logs:

- Lots of change from the first iteration already!
- Made the take off zones longer so it's easier to fly

Code: EB83-0000-00B7-593F

gdCR77E.jpg

Planet 1-1 :

Change logs:

- Removed the first gap
- Put the first flame-throwers higher
- Added a respawning wiggler
- Changed vastly the look of the level
- Can't lose Yoshi!
- Removed the skull rides and replaced them with blue platforms
- Removed the apple part and completely changed the ending (A little Yoshi's Island homage)
- Changed the ending to make it longer

Code: A933-0000-00B5-7633

Hg3h7el.jpg

Planet 1-2 :

Change logs :
- Removed the skull platform altogether
- Signposted the Thwomp on the far right of the map better
- Changed the puzzle with the Thwomp before getting the spiky shell
- Re-introduced "the defining Super Mario Maker moment" for GAFer Pesca but changed it slightly ;)
- Lowered the hills so that breaking ice blocks is less time consuming
- Removed the hill so you can't get stuck trying to take the 1-UP if you bring the spring with you
- Removed the gap before the final stretch.

Code: CEA6-0000-00B5-7806

XPMyYtO.jpg

Final version of Planet 1-3 :

The was the level that required the less changes.
Change logs :

- Added a bit more details to the level
- Replaced the red flying Koopa by a wiggler for thematic consistency
- Added a feather just before the 2 wigglers jump to help players
- Added 2 more flowers to the
underwater part
and improved the presentation of the final stretch

Code: E30F-0000-00B5-8869

RIGtBkE.jpg

Final version of Planet 1-4 :

Change logs:
- Changed the way to get the first 1-UP. Can't get stuck or destroy the block
- Lowered the first floating castle so that you can see the ground
- Removed the lava blobs at the beginning
- Removed the randomly bouncing lava blobs, they are fewer of them and on a track
- Changed completely the first platforming section to avoid randomness (See screenshot)
- Changed the second platforming section for thematic consistency
- Removed the third wall you had to destroy
- Changed the floor bombing so it's impossible to get stuck when going up
- Removed 1 flower power at the boss fight, reduced the size of the room but added a medium platform

Code: 035B-0000-00B5-9207

dvXaWp7.jpg

Done! Phew!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

RagnarokX

I guess I need to replay your Super Mario Planets, Kooopa Kid.

It's a great system, note blocks are a genius improvement.

At least I give genotaru credit for the inspiration. I've noticed a youtuber made a video showing how to make that checkpoint system with no credit given :(

I do want to stress that while mine is very similar to geno's, the keying mechanism and muncher distribution system are very different and were very difficult to work out due to the different mechanics of lava lifts vs trampolines. Geno gets full credit for the idea of moving munchers and bouncing shells. Be sure to give him some love, too.

correojon

At least I give genotaru credit for the inspiration. I've noticed a youtuber made a video showing how to make that checkpoint system with no credit given :(

I do want to stress that while mine is very similar to geno's, the keying mechanism and muncher distribution system are very different and were very difficult to work out due to the different mechanics of lava lifts vs trampolines. Geno gets full credit for the idea of moving munchers and bouncing shells. Be sure to give him some love, too.
Congrats for the Kotaku mention, your star count is about to explode.

I saw someone on reddit presenting yesterday the checkpoint system as his own, people shut him down immediately and said genotaru even credited someone else.

Btw, your additions make the whole system much better, at first I thought they were minor changes but after looking more into detail it really improves it in many ways, good job!

Whew, keeping up with all the great levels posted ITT is the best kind of struggle. Hard to properly convey how skilled some of you are. Seriously, well done.

Quick question: what are the chances we get an update or DLC with the various Amiibo sprites for the SMB3, SMW, or NSMB level sets? I'd love to tool around with the non-Mario characters in a set that isn't SMB.

Whew, keeping up with all the great levels posted ITT is the best kind of struggle. Hard to properly convey how skilled some of you are. Seriously, well done.

Quick question: what are the chances we get an update or DLC with the various Amiibo sprites for the SMB3, SMW, or NSMB level sets? I'd love to tool around with the non-Mario characters in a set that isn't SMB.

Highly, highly unlikely. And I'd say DEFINITE NO for NSMB.

The issue is the amount of work needed. For NSMB, they'd have to make 3D models that have Mario's moveset and then render them out to a spritesheet. Just ain't gonna happen.

Each tile set above standard SMB is a layer of more work. SMB3 is more detailed than SMB, and SMW is more detailed than that.

The biggest reason SMB was doable was because:
1) The VERY limited number of animation frames
2) The VERY limited character size

Each tile set above SMB increases these values and dramatically increases production time, so basically the answer is: don't hold your breath.

Seriously. Just a ton of awesomely designed levels in this thread. I'm lucky if I'm able to come up with a reasonably fun "gimmick" level every once in a while :p

Neki

My latest level uses your checkpoint system, so thanks for showing all of us. There wasn't enough room for a two checkpoint system without completing redoing it all, but hopefully people will like it.

Oidisco

Hey I need some help. I can't think of a good name for my new level. It's another pretty traditional SMW style level with a couple enemy types, mainly Goomba's, Koopa's and a few Munchers and Moles. Usually I make levels based on a single mechanic and use alliteration when naming it, but I got nothing for this one.

Here's the level layout, might help
wiiu_screenshot_gamepzfsiq.jpg

Ignore the Molehill Madness name, it was just the 1st thing that came to my head. There's so few moles in the level that the name wouldn't work

RagnarokX

Congrats for the Kotaku mention, your star count is about to explode.

I saw someone on reddit presenting yesterday the checkpoint system as his own, people shut him down immediately and said genotaru even credited someone else.

Btw, your additions make the whole system much better, at first I thought they were minor changes but after looking more into detail it really improves it in many ways, good job!
Thanks.

Well I must apologize to Herb. I didn't read genotaru's post very well and didn't realize he was posting an improved version of someone else's system. So Herb gets credit for the idea of using munchers and Geno made a 3-checkpoint version of Herb's system AFAIK. Herb could have copied someone, I guess. Give them stars, too.

You know. The changes I made aren't that big in the 1-checkpoint version, though I think blocks are more intuitive than lava lifts. The version I can really take more credit for is the 2-checkpoint version. That was a real headscratcher. Let me just explain why and then I'll shut up since I'm sure people are sick of hearing about it :p

Geno's 3-checkpoint system uses blue lava lifts on tracks for the keys and to move the munchers around. Blue lava lifts on tracks can pass through solid blocks and still interact with dynamic objects. This means you can use hard blocks to keep a muncher from moving further up the track without impeding the lift which can go on to move other munchers.

My 2-checkpoint system uses blocks and trampolines instead. Trampolines cannot pass through solid blocks. Therefor the main hurdle I hit was that I could not use solid blocks in my system apart from the very top. I had to figure out how to get it to work using gravity; how can I get it to bounce a muncher higher up but not take the trampoline with it and bounce it too high or have the munchers bounce continuously. It seems simple but it took a really long time.

Using blocks and trampolines does also cut down on using up the enemy budget as well. Each of the lava lifts counts as an enemy whereas music blocks count as blocks and the trampolines inside them don't count towards the enemy budget. Overall it's slightly more efficient.

Just glad people like it. The plays really exploded since the Kotaku article. It's more than doubled, heh. Thanks :D

DoubleYou

I had to redo my entire level because I started from a sample course.
Well, I did just that and it's finally done. My biggest level yet.

The Choice Is Yours.
ID: FEA3-0000-00B7-A952

choice2.png

It's inspired by my last level Fortress of Choices which lets you choose your own path by choosing between different arrows. This time I tried to improve on that idea.

I hope some of you will try it out. It's been a hell of a job to create a level this big twice.

Tell me what you think and I'll try out your levels! :D

Hey everyone. I bought the game today and it's pretty great so far. I made a level with the few items I've got.

It's simple, but I think pretty difficult. It's definitely for fans of Bullet Hell games.

Super Spiny Sky Panic
CRzcINiUAAAIkuF.jpg

ACBF-0000-00B7-C739

It was essentially a test run, but let me know what you guys think.

Oidisco

Finally got a name for my level, I think it sums it up pretty well

Molehills,Mushrooms and Munchers
F3DA-0000-00B7-D016

wiiu_screenshot_gamep7ojo5.jpg

Fun fact, you can finish this level in 26 seconds (possibly faster) if you run through it perfectly.

Nimby

Banned
Finally got Super Mario Maker, the roommate and I have made a few levels if anyone wants to play.

My roommate:

The Hall of Flames
2CAD-0000-00B7-9323

Challenging Platforms
47EE-0000-00B5-CAF0

My level:

Koopa Troopa Cave
54D3-0000-00B7-D4B6

There may be a bit masochistic in some areas, but we generally tried to make fun, challenging levels. Let us know what you think.

BowieZ

Banned
0GhLSDz.png

Congratulations to..

JYV6Zmp.jpg

A hearty congratumalations to Kebiinu and BelgianDude for your excellent clever level designs, and especially also to daydream for devoting the last month to this special competition!!

Meanwhile, for competition #2, now that it's died down a bit, hopefully we'll have fewer entries but better quality ones too, and perhaps a quicker turnaround time ;)

Since getting Super Mario Maker last month, I've been hard at work on a total remake of the original Mega Man for NES. Not exactly the most original idea, I know, but I wanted to put a little extra effort into my project to make my levels really stand out from previous Mega Man recreations. After many, many hours, I'm finally ready to share the fruits of my labor. I wish I could have added some checkpoints to mitigate the extreme challenge, but that aside, I'm very happy with how everything turned out. Enjoy!

An Adventure of MEGA Proportions!

One of the Mushroom Kingdom's oldest legends is that of the Power Star Tree, a sacred plant that produces Power Stars whenever a special melody is played. Somehow, that crafty Bowser has discovered both the the tree's secret grove and its bloom melody. With this new source of limitless power, the Koopa Empire was able to conquer the entire Mushroom Kingdom overnight! Oh no!

But our stalwart savior Mario refuses to give in! Koopa squads have taken hold of six strategic locations -- if Mario can invade their domains and defeat their captains, he just may find clues pointing towards the whereabouts of the Power Star Tree. Of course, Bowser will surely be prepared with some grand scheme to flush that pesky plumber down the drain once and for all. Will our heroic handyman emerge victorious, or has he trimmed his mustache for the last time?

Fight Mario! For everlasting peace!

BOMB Ballet! -- 1AF2-0000-00D7-BFB8

Business is literally booming! The Koopas have begun converting the Kingdom's downtown hub into a bomb assembly workshop. Put out their fuse before they begin their first production run!

Got GUTS? -- 6377-0000-00D7-C28D

The Koopas have begun excavating the mountainside in search of precious jewels, which has triggered tremors all across the Kingdom. Mind your head as you shut down their mining operation!

Close CUT! -- 74A2-0000-00D7-C4BF

The Toads were forced to flee Mushroom Acres Apartments after their homes became infested by deadly Piranha Plants. No gardening shears handy? A little fire may be just as effective!

ELECtric Encounter! -- 2539-0000-00D7-C785

Look! Up in the sky! Is it a bird? A plane? No, it's the Koopas' floating spire fleet! Avoid rocket engine flames and maybe try to find a way to get airborne yourself.

ICE Invasion! -- 9393-0000-00D7-CA07

Deep within the frozen caverns to the north is a subterranean ice tower that the Koopas have claimed for their own. Be careful not to slip and fall when you hand them their eviction papers!

Frantic FIRE! -- 1988-0000-00D7-CCA7

A metal refinery in the center of a volcano!? Probably not to best place to go frolicking about! Timing is key in order to avoid the abundant burners installed throughout the facility.

~~~~~~~~~~

Fortress Finale!

With Bowser's army all but defeated, it's time to take the fight to his stronghold: a massive factory built atop the Power Star Tree's grove. The King of the Koopas has siphoned the tree's energy in order to revive his fallen captains and slow your progress as he completes construction on his most dangerous doomsday weapon yet. Storm the front gate, give Bowser Jr. your warmest regards, dive into the factory's waterworks, and topple the terrible tyrant before it's too late!

Fortress Finale! Act 1 -- 0245-0000-00D7-CF30

Fortress Finale! Act 2 -- 055B-0000-00D7-D291

Fortress Finale! Act 3 -- 6258-0000-00D7-D46E

Fortress Finale! Act Ω -- 0998-0000-00D7-DB82

~~~~~~~~~~

Boss Practice Chambers -- F035-0000-00D7-DCC3

Getting smacked around by the Koopa squad captains? Practice against any one of them in the Boss Practice Chambers before tackling their domains anew.

J-Fr

Thank you Dyle, Waluigilicious and Axiom for your feedback!

I made a few tweaks to the level :
- You can't bypass the last wall, in my opinion the Bob-omb adds complexity and pressure.
- Added a second mushroom, not so easy to grab.
- Made it more obvious what to do at the beginning.

Take the Companion Bob-Omb
ID: 3B58-0000-00D3-D70C
ID: 6C6F-0000-00D3-D7EF
ID: D47B-0000-00D3-D8AF

Sorry for the music block..

I also tweaked an other hard level :
- It should be easier to avoid flames at the end.
- Added a few guide coins.

The Galoombeyor
ID: 1AAF-0000-00BC-C276

Seventh

I finally finished my newest level!

The Hitchhiker
E27E-0000-00B8-0503

This level took me a loooong time to finish. Just a warning though, this is an automatic level. But it's hopefully a little different than others you may have seen before. For starters, Yoshi is the main attraction in this level. Everyone loves Yoshi, right? Right. Secondly, you spend almost the entire time riding around on a moving shell, so this level is basically a demonstration of several different tricks you can perform with Yoshi and the shell. It was incredibly difficult to make this level, so hopefully it includes a few things that you haven't seen before, or even know was possible!

Any feedback, positive or negative, is welcome! Specifically, I'm wondering if I should add more enemies/obstacles or remove the ones I already have.

Also if you liked this level, please check out my other "shell physics" stage:

Mario's Shell Ride:

C641-0000-004E-AA5B

This was my first attempt at making an automatic level, so it actually starts as soon as you jump down the hole. This level includes several different shell tricks that aren't in my other stage, however there is one part that you can die at if you're unlucky due to Bowser Jr's RNG. I am planning on fixing it though.

Oidisco

Just gonna repost my new level on this page since it hasn't been played yet

F3DA-0000-00B7-D016

It's a traditional style level again, nothing too fancy. I did put some time into making it good for speedrunning, best time I've got so far is 26 seconds.

JC Sera

Just gonna repost my new level on this page since it hasn't been played yet

F3DA-0000-00B7-D016

It's a traditional style level again, nothing too fancy. I did put some time into making it good for speedrunning, best time I've got so far is 26 seconds.

Played it, fun level, feels like an actual mario level :)

correojon

You know. The changes I made aren't that big in the 1-checkpoint version, though I think blocks are more intuitive than lava lifts. The version I can really take more credit for is the 2-checkpoint version. That was a real headscratcher. Let me just explain why and then I'll shut up since I'm sure people are sick of hearing about it :p
I think yours is much more user-friendly, intuitive, takes less space and is better looking. In genotaru´s system you have to use vines and make the player move around, while in yours the player controls everything from the starting screen and can enter the pipes at ground level without having to climb anything. Also, Music Blocks are clearer as an interface than Skull Rafts and easier to use (in genotaru´s system you could mistakenly fall from one raft to an undesired one, screwing the password input).

I just saw a new system for number based passwords, it´s really simple and elegant, but I don´t know how you can communicate the way it works to the player without using Miiverse: https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/3pjz42/simpler_checkpoint_system/

Some random feedback:

Axiom said:
They Follow
707E-0000-00A3-2D45
A creative level, it takes a simple mechanic (Munchers on clouds) and evolves it through the level in very imaginative and challenging ways. Even though you´re mostly dealing with the same main mechanic through all the stage it never gets repetitive thanks to all the different ways in which the setup is altered. All the praise it gets is well deserved, a very good course.
Oh, the setting was also very well done.

Axiom said:
BREAK THE BANK
CEF2-0000-006F-8CA6
I absolutely loved this one! As I said in Miiverse I really felt like I was a robber entering a well guarded bank. Lots of aesthetic details (the Wrecking Ball to break the wall and enter, the zipline to descend, the secret vault...) give this course lots of character. Gameplay wise it´s a pretty solid level. I specially liked all the "extra" part you could access even when the goal was on sight. This level has achieved something that´s lost in SMM levels: it gave coins a meaning. I felt like the objective of this course wasn´t to get to the goal, but to get all the coins I could. That made me go for the extra route instead of rushing to the goal when it was close.

Both levels are awesome: great attention to detail, very good theming, solid mechanics and fun challenges. I´ll be following your releases in the future.

Planet 1-2 :
Code: CEA6-0000-00B5-7806
XPMyYtO.jpg
Nice changes, the way you put on the helmet is nice (I did the same thing in one level), the old one was less obvious. Great level, nothing much to add.

Final version of Planet 1-3 :
Code: E30F-0000-00B5-8869

RIGtBkE.jpg
I might be misremembering things, but the first part of the underwater section feels too difficult now, I don´t remember it being so hard. I love the final Wigglers setup underwater.

Planet 1-5 of the Super Mario Planets series :
Code: D3C8-0000-00B7-480F
U4q2CBf.jpg
Nothing to comment, I think it was already good.

Planet 1-6 :
Code: DE2B-0000-00B7-52B9
ILkBMch.jpg
I like this one a lot, I couldn´t pinpoint the changes but the level somehow "flowed" better. Great job.

Planet 1-7 :
Code: DD84-0000-00B7-560F

LUXVKXm.jpg
Beat it first try, no more dying at the Z platform! Minor changes, the level looks nicer now with the rounded letters. Fun, intense and challenging, I wouldn´t change anything.

Planet 1-8 :Code: EB83-0000-00B7-593F
gdCR77E.jpg
I think you should add a one way upwards door in the place where the player has to dismount the Clown Car, I stupidly missed that jump in 2 different attempts and if you do so you´re screwed as the Clow Car will despawn. That way if the player fails the jump he will land on the platform and can make it. That, or make the dismounting zone bigger, it´s easy for the Clown Car to touch a wall and move a bit to screw your jump. Also, as the Clown Car hasn´t appeared in the level up until this point you should assume that the player has no practice whatsoever with it (specially with dismounting it, which is something few levels require). So: make the landing zone easier and avoid all ways in which the player could mess up there.

I would also remove some of the yellow blocks in the part where you have to destroy them to get to the Spiky Helmet, it´s time consuming and that repetition really doesn´t add much to the level. What´s worse, as you´re spinning you´ll surely hit a block with the cape, so you´ll ahve to wait for it to stop spinning to break it. Just reduce it to one or two columns of blocks that can be destroyed easily with a single Spin Jump and some rebounds: you´ll achieve the same thing but make it less repetitive.

The part where you have to make the cape stomp to get rid of the Munchers is much better now.

Apart from these 2 little things, it´s still the best cape tutorial level.

I´m planning to make some changes to RtDL5: Bomb Battle in Sky Bridge (944B-0000-00B5-13D6) and could use some feedback, what I´ve got until now has really helped. Please play and comment, I offer feedback in return on any level you wish:
tzIrlC0.png

Mario is taking back Dinosaur Land! However, Bowser is not going to allow this to continue. He´s sent Koopa the Crazy Bomber to Sky Bridge to protect this important location from Mario. But this plan might backfire, as Koopa just wants to blow everything up! Once he finishes there may not even be a Sky Bridge to protect...
Careful mario, don´t fall in Koopa´s traps!

Top Bottom