• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey direct feed gameplay highlights photo mode, costumes, Frog Mario

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
cute pupper

2017010620371600-8aedff741e2d23fbed39474178692daf.jpg

DKK-chjWkAEd3Nx.jpg

https://www.vg247.com/2017/09/20/ye...azing-hands-on-and-video-of-three-new-worlds/

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mario can use the fire flower in the 2D sections? :O The guy playing the video got hit so he lost his power, but what would happen if you walk out of the pipe with the fire flower?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Someone should probably open a new thread for the new previews.

Luigiv

Okay, so having downloaded some of the MP4 files, would you agree that this looks like 1080p, or close to it? Lack of Anti-Aliasing is a bit obvious, but it seems so sharp when I blow it up to fullscreen.

Did a quick pixel count. Not comprehensive (only did one count) but looks to be 900p (well actually, I only counted the horizontal as 1600 pixel wide, which would suggest 1600x900, but I'm not entirely sure yet).

Edit: Ok, just counted the vertical resolution on the same still, 900p seems to check out.

Black_Red

Looks like we'll need the gif of the nerd guy (Zelda) and Mario going Nope on the goty.

(Or they'll split votes and PUGB eill win)

Did a quick pixel count. Not comprehensive (only did one count) but looks to be 900p (well actually I only counted the horizontal to 1600 pixel wide, which would suggest 1600x900).

Sorry a bitt off-topic, but how is such a pixelcount done? Like with a specific software or something? Bit lost here

Luigiv

Sorry a bitt off-topic, but how is such a pixelcount done? Like with a specific software or something? Bit lost here

No specific software necessarily (I use paint but you could do it on paper if you really wanted to), just some simple geometry/maths.

Anyway, rather than try to explain it myself (which I'd no doubt butcher), I'll let Tom from DF handle it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ra-P3gH7Dg

It's super simple really, anyone can do it, you just need to find a clean straight edge to do the count on.

So when I counted, I got 25/30 ratio on the horizontal from a 1080p image, which which 25/30 * 1920 = 1600, hence (probably) 900p.

No specific software necessarily (I use paint but you could do it on paper if you really wanted to), just some simple geometry/maths.

Anyway, rather than try to explain it myself (which I'd no doubt butcher), I'll let Tom from DF handle it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ra-P3gH7Dg

It's super simple really, anyone can do it, you just need to find a clean straight edge to do the count on.

So when I counted, I got 25/30 ratio on the horizontal from a 1080p image, which which 25/30 * 1920 = 1600, hence (probably) 900p.

Wait so literally counting?

Luigiv

Wait so literally counting?

Yeah pretty much. Here's what I did:

So you can see I found a clean, slightly inclined from vertical edge, then drew a 30 pixel wide horizontal, then drew a vertical line to complete a triangle with that edge. After that I just count the number of steps on the edge between the two lines.

If the horizontal resolution were equal to (or greater than) the horizontal resolution of the image then I'd count the same number of steps as there were pixels in my horizontal line (in this case 30). However I counted 25 steps, which means the internal resolution is 25/30 of the images resolution.

Counter intuitively, to count horizontal resolution, you need to a near vertical line, whilst to count vertical resolution you need to find a near horizontal line (or if you can find an exactly 45 degree angle line, then you could count both axes on it). Took me a while to rap my head around why exactly that was but rest assured it is correct. I don't want to try to explain it in words though. :p

Kudo

So, people with the game I want to ask one question but I don't want to spoil anything with watching videos.
Can you hide the UI or does it hide itself with time?
Thanks.

This is important for all people with OLED TV. Bright white UI constantly on seems like trouble for burn-in.
If someone can answer this I'd appreciate it a lot.

I'm editing this post, because I don't want those on mobile to see the image, but hot damn.

Boss Doggie, make your image a link.

Edit #2 - Thanks!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is that whats happening? I mean lol, yall complaining because yall havent seen a certain type of footage?

Yes? This new footage looks much better but a big chunk of what we've seen of New Donk City and the forest area, especially around E3 but also what we've seen since then, didn't look super engaging. Was I supposed to...not judge the game based on what they have shown of it?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Good thing that the game is out next month as I don't think that I can wait any longer to play it.

Though I will take a break to play Sonic Forces and then when Pokémon Ultra Sun and Moon hits, I am going full on Pokémon.

Am I the only one that gets a total tim burton/nightmare before christmas feel of cap kingdom?

Yeah I get that vibe as well.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/20/super-mario-odyssey-hands-on-preview-platform-of-choice-6942636/

Gamecentral completely gushing about the game in their preview. They tease a
64 throwback world that will "blow the minds of fans".

They think it's right up there with BoTW as far as respective preview impressions are concerned, and they consider BoTW to be one of the best ever games.

It's interesting how they are comparing it to Breath of the Mild as I have been doing that as well but unlike Breath of the Mild I am actually excited to play Mario Odyssey and I know that I will end up enjoying running around and searching for Moon shine than I did with Zelda.

This is the first Switch game that I am truly excited to play.

Yes? This new footage looks much better but a big chunk of what we've seen of New Donk City and the forest area, especially around E3 but also what we've seen since then, didn't look super engaging. Was I supposed to...not judge the game based on what they have shown of it?

The Wooded Kingdom is definitely the one area in this game that hasn't impressed me, but to be fair, I've only seen bits and pieces of it. But those bits and pieces didn't look all that great.

I wouldn't even say "light on platforming" really. It's just that there are fewer bottomless pits than in the sub-levels.

That gameplay footage has been "run forward" is laughable.

That's true, a lot of the hub areas aren't exactly pure platforming challenges compared with, say, 64, which has lots of different moving, rotating, and shifting platforms in its main levels.

watershed

Banned
I'm loving everything I see in this game. I thought 3d World was the height of fan service in terms of Mario charm overload but this game is like all of Mario history condensed into one amazing package.

Neiteio

I think the Luncheon Kingdom might be my favorite place they've shown so far. It's absolutely gorgeous with the highly stylized "low-poly" look and all of the bright pastel colors.

I like the concept of a volcano surrounded by Pompei-esque ruins and supersized foodstuffs, spewing a lava-like soup or sauce, and populated by fork-chef people who delight tourists with their culinary creations.

The gameplay looks great, too. There's a Sunshine-style warp zone where you don't have Cappy and have to jump across spinning platforms; there's a platforming sequence on narrow lava bridges that you navigate with a Lava Bubble; there's breaking cheese rocks with skillet-throwing Hammer Bros to uncover switches and moon shards; navigating 2D mazes on the floor with 3D food rolling overhead to psyche you out; stomping the all-new Magmatoes to spill hot sauce everywhere. The meat slab trick to reach Cookatiel is hilarious. Everything looks so good!

Top Bottom