• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - Review Thread

Maitiú

Just pre loaded Mario. Now counting down until its launched in the US. My guess it will be midnight eastern. West coast GAF maybe playing at nine.

Yeah, it looks like Nintendo has been releasing previous switch games for all of the US (regional release) at East Coast's midnight.

Its available to me an hour before midnight if I go digital, but I get off from work at 22:30, have lunch with my fiance until 23:30 (she works until 02:30) and by the time I get home and have it downloaded it'll be the same as going to a retail store midnight release, minus the fun fanfare. Maybe I'll go to Best Buy and score a poster. :)

Who do you think will be the media GOTY darling this year? Has to be between Mario and Zelda but which one of the two?

Honestly, it will be pretty tied I think.

Mario will be fresher on people's mind, but Zelda legit shook everyone with it's brilliance.

Goty usually comes down to the best game the most people played, not necessarily the "best" one and in that regard I think Mario and Zelda will be tied.

Peterc

It isn't? How so?

I've not read any reviews

What I've seen so far the level design is way better and different. Sunshine levels aren't mario like and boring. Also the endboss is the worst one from all mario games. It's hard to believe it's madw by ead themselves.

I can say i like the gameplay, but thats all.

that was expected and probably well earned, Nintendo finally made a REAL 3d mario, they haven't done that since Sunshine

if Zelda wasn't already on Wii u and Monster hunter world was not coming to PS4, i would have bought switch early next year

but Mario alone is not enough for me
Lol uh huh buddy.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Seems some of the only criticisms are that it's a bit easy. Which was always my biggest fear :(

I could be wrong about this but isn't always the case with recent Mario? The main levels are easy but the true challenges are in special stages.

This is Nintendo on top of its game like we haven't seen since the N64 era. Speechless they were able to put out two 97 meta games in one year, especially considering how much stricter reviewers are nowadays.

Who do you think will be the media GOTY darling this year? Has to be between Mario and Zelda but which one of the two?

I still think it will go to Zelda slightly and it's still the game with most full point reviews. Of course Mario might still change that but Breath of the Wild was long 98 before dropping to 97 after couple less favorable reviews game after.

guyssorry

Seems some of the only criticisms are that it's a bit easy. Which was always my biggest fear :(

I'm trying to think of a recent Mario game that was actually difficult. The only exceptions are some of the bonus levels in Galaxy 2, 3D Land/World. The games are never difficult.

Grinchy

Banned
Got a copy coming tomorrow in the mail. I keep clicking on a twitch stream and then leaving within a couple minutes. I'm not a "don't spoil a Mario game!' kinda guy but I do find myself clicking away.

Wood Man

Got my Switch a couple weeks ago just for this. I was fortunate enough to get the blue/red Joycons. I love this system and just beat Golf Story last night.

These reviews have me excited. I rarely go to midnight launches but this one is a must.

I could be wrong about this but isn't always the case with recent Mario? The main levels are easy but the true challenges are in special stages.

I'm trying to think of a recent Mario game that was actually difficult. The only exceptions are some of the bonus levels in Galaxy 2, 3D Land/World. The games are never difficult.

Yes I know and that's always been my one issue with them. They ramp up the difficulty for like the final ~20% of the game to get the full completion. I have always wished the Mario games had more challenge earlier on in the game. Nothing too crazy or anything but I don't think they quite get the mix right for the 'core gamer'. Not for me anyway!

PLAY! Zine
Though a really neat game, Super Mario Odyssey is an utterly underwhelming adventure for every long-term Super Mario fan in existence.

I wonder what it is like to be that one reviewer that feels the game is meh, when everyone else is praising the hell out of it?

ajanke

I wonder what it is like to be that one reviewer that feels the game is meh, when everyone else is praising the hell out of it?

I wasn't a huge fan of BOTW. But I didn't shit on it or anything. I just felt like It wasn't for me unfortunately. I really wanted to like it. That would probably be hard for me to review it. I think lol.

Cathcart

Even if, according to the reviews, this is shaping up to be a GOAT?
GOAT is so overused on this forum that it’s meaningless. And really, are you telling me BotW wasn’t in the same situation? One of the major review outlets went on and on about how BotW was a game we’d still be talking about in 30 years.

At this point it’s a toss up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Pro Jared's review(8/10) pretty much solidified a lot of my fears. Enjoyable, but a lot of bloat. Simple moon objectives that overwhelm the scant few that are actually praiseworthy and stand up to the most memorable challenges of other 3D Mario games. (Rare used to get a lot of guff for doing this, though he never makes the comparison)

Seems there is a lot to love regardless, but those of us that have cut our teeth on Mario our entire lives won't have as much to appreciate on the whole as we hoped. Can imagine by the weekend a lot of hardcore fans ending up feeling the same once they reach that 100% as well.

GOAT is so overused on this forum that it's meaningless. And really, are you telling me BotW wasn't in the same situation? One of the major review outlets went on and on about how BotW was a game we'd still be talking about in 30 years.

At this point it's a toss up.

There were also some reviews calling Zelda best game of all time, haven't seen such yet for Mario and it seems to me that many full point reviews are finding more faults in Mario than Zelda, mainly the too easy difficult level and at a times problematic camera angels. On the other hand Mario might be a bit more accessible to a wider audience.

Happy Console Gamer and Vic both are saying they prefer Zelda.

NA48

Neo Member
Pro Jared's review(8/10) pretty much solidified a lot of my fears. Enjoyable, but a lot of bloat. Simple moon objectives that overwhelm the scant few that are actually praiseworthy and stand up to the most memorable challenges of other 3D Mario games. (Rare used to get a lot of guff for doing this, though he never makes the comparison)

Seems there is a lot to love regardless, but those of that have cut our teeth on Mario our entire lives won't have as much to appreciate on the whole as we hoped.

Is this true of the late-game experience though? It seems like they tried to make things accessible this time, at least to a point ... but I wouldn't be surprised if the post-game is tougher.

Zelda isn't super straightforward for new gamers to grab and play, whereas Mario definitely seems like it has a broad demographic.

Brandon F

Is this true of the late-game experience though? It seems like they tried to make things accessible this time, at least to a point ... but I wouldn't be surprised if the post-game is tougher.

Zelda isn't super straightforward for new gamers to grab and play, whereas Mario definitely seems like it has a broad demographic.

He brings it up and mentions the post-game "finally" delivering some meaningful challenge that perked him up, but even then it felt not enough. In many ways the worlds left him the most cold as they seemingly(again paraphrasing his review you should watch) just lacked enough great platforming sections. Platforming exists obviously, but clearly to him what exists still left him wanting. Still emphasized he was positive, just not as taken as the hype seemed to imprint.

Astral Dog

Seems there is a lot to love regardless, but those of us that have cut our teeth on Mario our entire lives won't have as much to appreciate on the whole as we hoped. Can imagine by the weekend a lot of hardcore fans ending up feeling the same once they reach that 100% as well.
Im scared of his eyes 👀

I wont mind if this Mario game is easier since i suck ass at platformers in general, i didnt even finish Galaxy since i got stuck at some level. Super Mario 3D World i finished the main levels but the bonus stuff just looks daunting.

Platforming isnt my genre.

NA48

Neo Member
He brings it up and mentions the post-game "finally" delivering some meaningful challenge that perked him up, but even then it felt not enough. In many ways the worlds left him the most cold as they seemingly(again paraphrasing his review you should watch) just lacked enough great platforming sections. Platforming exists obviously, but clearly to him what exists still left him wanting. Still emphasized he was positive, just not as taken as the hype seemed to imprint.

I guess I'm not expecting a big platforming challenge in this game, but rather just some cool environments to explore with some fluid motion. I wouldn't really say M64 was much of a "platformer," in general at least not compared to something like SM3DW or the bonus levels from sunshine.

Brandon F

I guess I'm not expecting a big platforming challenge in this game, but rather just some cool environments to explore with some fluid motion. I wouldn't really say M64 was much of a "platformer," in general at least not compared to something like SM3DW or the bonus levels from sunshine.

It’s clearly a perspective not shared by all, but a critical take other reviews don’t consider. I appreciated it and others here likely will as well.

Again discussions next week and beyond will likely show a similar split as we play through it and the hype transitions to objectivity.

brawly

This unsold me on the game. No challenge and focus on collect-a-thon ain't for me. I'm sure ya'll have lots of fun though.

The weird thing is that the people that have cut their teeth on Mario their entire lives should have expected that, considering this sort of difficulty structure has been around in Mario games for quite a while.

It’s clearly a perspective not shared by all, but a critical take other reviews don’t consider. I appreciated it and others here likely will as well.

Again discussions next week and beyond will likely show a similar split as we play through it and the hype transitions to objectivity.

It won't translate to objectivity, what are you talking about? It's shifts from what people anticipate of the game and what they actually experience. It never becomes objective, it's always subjective.

Top Bottom