• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - Review Thread

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
95 minimum, been playing all week I think it's the best Mario since 64.

Now queue 100 people telling me how wrong I am to think Mario 64 was the best one up to now lol
You are right mario 64 was the best 3d mario game.
Oh and mario 3d world was the worst.

jorgejjvr

Nintendo has this year in the bag.

Competing against itself for GOTY

If you don't have a switch by the holidays you're missing out

rhino4evr

This unsold me on the game. No challenge and focus on collect-a-thon ain't for me. I'm sure ya'll have lots of fun though.

One 8/10 made you not want to buy the game?

Cmon, you weren’t going to buy it anyway if you’re discrediting every other reviewer on the planet.

Also what 3D Mario hasn’t been about collecting? They all have .

I was scared to click this topic after the last "review" thread was an account suicide.

Great reviews all around though, now to pray for release day delivery lol

Crazyorloco

Nintendo is just on another level this year.

They’re already an amazing gaming developer without all these 10’s. 2 GOTY games in one year. Incredible. Great way to start and end the year. Congrats nintendo.

I buy a system based partially on the promise that it provides for future enjoyment -- and much of that these days certainly centers on my ability to play it with/around my two young kids. But also, I tend to calculate the value of my investments in gaming differently these days as well. For me, for instance:

Legend of Zelda: BotW = ~150 hours of enjoyment
Cost = $300 + $60 (plus tax) = $360 + tax

$360 / 150 hours = ~$2.50 / hour

And, of course, this is the absolute worst-case scenario, presuming that I would only play a single game (albeit a massive one) over the course of the entire console's lifespan. That's a fairly inexpensive price of admission by my judgment, so for me, Zelda alone would have made it easily worth the cost of a Switch.

By comparison, most "normal" games might last around 20 hours, but at a typical price of $60, that's already a higher price of admission ($3/hour) -- even assuming that the console is free (or already in my possession). So justifying a purchase of a console using a particularly lengthy game of unconventionally high quality is a pretty easy decision for me, especially if I'm relatively sure I'll continue to extract value out of my ownership of the console going forward.

Just got home. These scores are pretty much expected. It'll surely drop to a 96 or a 95. Amazing though. It seems whenever IGN gives a game a 10 Gamespot does too.

Maitiú

Nintendo lost me for a long long time, they're doing good things with the Switch though.

I get it, and its a sad thing when Nintendo's hardware choices isolates their games from fans. I hope you have a delightful reunion with the ol' guy, should there be one.

slorelli

Neo Member
This unsold me on the game. No challenge and focus on collect-a-thon ain't for me. I'm sure ya'll have lots of fun though.

I respect his opinion but disagree with several of his claims. He mentioned this felt less active and not as sandboxy as Mario 64...the levels are huge and densely packed with way more stuff to do than 64. The fact that he holds galaxy on a pedestal and gave 3d World a 9/10 tells me he enjoys more linear Mario games. If collect a thon games aren't your thing, Mario Odyssey probably won't change that.

AdanVC

The only thing that concerns me is being too easy. I at least want a little challenge

I was worried with that too back when Super Mario 3D World came out. Most concerns where that the game was a tad easy in general... and it was indeed. But the last 2 worlds and the whole post-game content were very difficult. Especially the very very last level wich up to this day, I still haven't beat it and is the only remaing level to 100% the game. It is that difficult. So I'm not worried on that aspect with Odyssey and I'm sure it gets challenging af on the later levels. Even more once you try to 100% the game.

jwillenn

I think I'll clip the 30 seconds leading up to each moon I get to maybe create or participate in a "favorite moons" thread some day.

Been waiting 20 years for a 3D mario like 64. I hope this increases Switch sales even further! Challenge (or lack thereof) is always a concern but early reports are positive.

OuterLimits

Been waiting 20 years for a 3D mario like 64. I hope this increases Switch sales even further! Challenge (or lack thereof) is always a concern but early reports are positive.

Yeah. It seems to have a good amount of post game content as well. According to IGN the main game lasted 15 hours or so.

norm9

Ive let my nephews and niece borrow the switch the past few months so it's about time I reclaimed it. I left them my old Wii U with FOUR Mario games as well as 20+ dowbloaded games a few weeks ago and they hadn't touched it since I last visited (it was still in bag i brought it over) so I think I get first dibs on Oddyseey.

Poncho mario let's go.

Brizzo24

I'm struggling on which control method is "best"

I have a pro controller. But i played Odyssey at E3 with separate joycons. Did the reviewers have a unanimous control preference?

-MD-

Maitiú;252884818 said:
I get it, and its a sad thing when Nintendo's hardware choices isolates their games from fans. I hope you have a delightful reunion with the ol' guy, should there be one.

Hey thanks :)

My copy should be here tomorrow, looking forward to this. And I agree, their hardware was 100% the reason I was out for so long and missed so many good games, specifically their controller choices, wiimote might be my least favorite controller ever.

nbraun80

The motions controls don’t work when handheld or using the pro controller. You lose fine control of throwing Cappy, but it wasn’t bad at E3.
I watched NVC and they said the motion controls, flicking the controller to throw cappy, does work with the pro controller.

Dazzyman

I want the christmas magic of playing mario on Christmas day so getting this and putting it away for myself for Christmas. Can't wait :)

xviper

i'm jealous of Switch owners, damn, last time i wanted a mario game so bad was Mario Galaxy 1

but there is no way i'm getting a switch for just 1 game, to redeem my purchase, i need at least Mario odyssey, Fire emblem( not dynasty warriors) and another major success game

i may get the switch once Metroid prime 4 comes out( if it's good), i haven't played any Metroid game and i heard nothing but praise for Prime 1

jorgejjvr

i'm jealous of Switch owners, damn, last time i wanted a mario game so bad was Mario Galaxy 1

but there is no way i'm getting a switch for just 1 game, to redeem my purchase, i need at least Mario odyssey, Fire emblem( not dynasty warriors) and another major success game

i may get the switch once Metroid prime 4 comes out( if it's good), i haven't played any Metroid game and i heard nothing but praise for Prime 1
Zelda?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

What about this
bg9u85eqlktz.png

Wingus

Really good scores as expected. Spent about 3 hours on this last night and everything plays so smoothly. Bosses so far are easy (and tends to be the case with mario bosses anyway), so that's not a problem with me.

Ready to spend the next week focusing on this :)

Top Bottom