• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

Rodin

Not understanding the negative comments about it being a runner. You really expected full Mario platforming controls on a touchscreen? It would be shit. This is a good solution, the controls look tight, and it seems well-designed. First runner I've actually wanted to try.

But yeah, the NSMB art style is not so hot.

Well, it's a clean, simple artstyle that already proved to appeal the mass market. NSMB sold 30 million copies on DS and 30 more on the Wii (and other >15 on WiiU/3DS).

Also maybe it means that the next 2D Mario will have a different artstyle lol

People calling a Mario runner on iPhones a "Megaton" says a lot in terms of whats been going on with Nintendo as a video game company.
This will be a cool little thing to accompany me to the bathroom.

jonno394

1473270604-mario2.gif

Is Mario automatically avoiding the enemies? can't see any jump inputs in the bottom half of the screen until he actually jumps at the end.

Pokemon Go increased sales of regular Pokemon games. I expect Super Mario Run to do the same for regular Mario games. Excellent work Nintendo.

Looks great. As someone who regularly plays Go! Go! Commander Video on my 5c, this is great news.

On a related note, is Super Meat Boy still going the runner route? Could be a battle of the SMBs.

Next?

Metroid, styled after Doodle Jump/Happy Jump. Printing cash!

Looks like it could be fun to play but I wish they would of used some new designs instead of slapping nsmb assets in there.

Is Mario automatically avoiding the enemies? can't see any jump inputs in the bottom half of the screen until he actually jumps at the end.
Seems like it. I think the challenge comes in doing combos by timing jumps on all of the enemies instead of just parkouring over them.

Nintendo would be stupid not to follow this up with news of NX in some form be it a date of the reveal or something.

That'd smash those stocks right through the roof.

Just like with Pokemon Go, everything they do doesn't have to be linked. Pokemon Go and Mario Runner are good ideas regardless of whether or not they ever translate into a single traditional console sale. These are examples of Nintendo diversifying and not putting all their eggs in one basket. This doesnt have to be some Trojan horse strategy. It's them saying "there are tens of millions of people who play games on cell phones who will never in million years buy a dedicated console/handheld...we are a gaming company lets make some money off of them".

Galang

Banned
All of the profits will go towards the development of upcoming NX games, right?

Right...?

Why are you worried? What else will they use their money for?... Nintendo is releasing mobile games at such a slow pace that it's not even an issue. And it's not like their own mobile games so far cost even a tenth of what they have in development for NX. I'm aware Nintendo puts money into other things as well... but come on now...

LordRaptor

[Agent]ZeroNine;216150934 said:
People calling a Mario runner on iPhones a "Megaton" says a lot in terms of whats been going on with Nintendo as a video game company.

It says the exact thing Playstation Now on PC or Microsofts Play Anywhere initiative does.

Kimawolf

[Agent]ZeroNine;216150934 said:
This will be a cool little thing to accompany me to the bathroom.
This is tbe biggest videogame news of today certainly. And maybe lf the summer.

Never thought i would say Mario on Iphone.

lt519

Speed runs are impressive because they are demonstrations of skill and mastery.

This is like claiming that autoaim is the way a shooter is meant to be played because you're supposed to hit things, lol.

They demonstrate that every level is built with holding run and the direction arrow forward without letting up. Point being that the game they build here will probably show the same mastery in level design.

jonno394

Seems like it. I think the challenge comes in doing combos by timing jumps on all of the enemies instead of just parkouring over them.

Cool, sort of avoids the whole 1-1 issue where people just run in to the first goomba. I'm sure my nieces will love this, will have to wait for the android version though.

Why are you worried? What else will they use their money for?... Nintendo is releasing mobile games at such a slow pace that it's not even an issue. And it's not like their own mobile games so far cost even a tenth of what they have in development for NX.
Change is always frightening, that's why. No idea if it's for the best yet or not.

JebaćBiedę;216147541 said:
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about 2d Mario Culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on mobile devices where you can become successful by releasing endless runners. If you screw someone over who loves 2d Mario game, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Nintendo fans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Mario for either system, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel Mario Runner or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I laughed way more than I should have.

Wensih

Is this really that shocking? People are freaking out as if this iOS announcement was unimaginable despite Nintendo's recent mobile commitment.

Also don't understand the hate for runners. Bit.Trip and Rayman are glorious.

I really don't know how I feel about this. Pokemon Go was a horrible excuse for a game, but maybe they can nail it with Mario. The oldschool PC/console gamer inside of me will always dislike Free To Play games, and that same oldschool guy also frowns upon phone gaming. On the other hand I'm a hypocrite because I love Puzzle Quest, Bejeweled, Plants vs Zombies, etc.

I don't know. These days, we have Sonic games on Nintendo consoles so I guess nothing is sacred. Lol

It's not free to play.

Yup! Can't understand people hating on this, every mobile games by Nintendo will serve as an introduction, a sort a gateway to their mainline titles.

Shouldn't think of like that. Games like this are for the tens of millions of people who will never buy a dedicated Nintendo console/handheld. This is them selling their games on a platform they actually own but not one of their direct console competitors.

Stoze

I think it looks neat and I'm curious to see how it turns out. It would've been cool if they used new assets instead of the NSMB stuff but that's asking a lot.

Kouriozan

Yup! Can't understand people hating on this, every mobile games by Nintendo will serve as an introduction, a sort a gateway to their mainline titles.

That is what Iwata said when they started their DeNA collaboration, and if we judge by regular Pokémon games getting boost from Pokémon GO, it might very well works.
At worst it's just a bit more brand awareness and hopefully killing all those bad clones on the App Store.

KarmaCow

They demonstrate that every level is built with holding run and the direction arrow forward without letting up. Point being that the game they build here will probably show the same mastery in level design.

I'm not holding my breath for that, especially considering the run speed.

JavyOO7

The game looks lovely. I have an Moto X Pure and don't really want to wait until it comes to Android, so hopefully I'll get an iPad or something just in time for this.

Top Bottom