• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

I'm guessing some of you guys have never played a well-designed runner.

ss_f83047933eb456d53a985706f542563bd69e5c15.600x338.jpg

Give bit trip runner a try!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Meh, wasn't into the endless runner type stages in NSMB2 or the NES Remix titles, but here's to Nintendo doing something obvious. Hopefully they'll re-invest in some more unexpected core titles with all the billions they'll pull in from this. Now when will they port the SM64 DS slingshot game to mobile?

Baleoce

I am quite optimistic about this game though. I really enjoyed Rayman Origins / Legends, and like others have mentioned already, I thought that Ubisoft did a great job of converting the feel of that game into a mobile runner. Hopefully this follows in a similar manner. Rayman felt like a particularly smooth transition because there was frequent "runner" levels even in the full games.

So sales-gaf wise, any predictions?
I say at least 50.000.000, which would make it the best selling mario game to date.

Ugh, I hate this because some marketing stooge would say precisely this if/when it sells well (irrespective of thry type of game or the cost it was sold for or the type of devices it was sold on).

Anyway...it'll do 20 million at full price.

It looks like the most obvious Mario game that they could make when their mobile initiative was announced. Not very interested in it myself but the quality is there.

We saw this coming years ago. Mobile is ruining gaming. I don't get why this is app store exclusive either... Pain in the ass. Mario deserves much better than this.

And it's an App Store timed exclusive because there are less Apple devices (less testing) and they get some early advertising muscle. These things aren't that hard to figure out when you stop looking at them like an angry 12 year old. "gaming is being ruined!" lol gtfo

I'm guessing some of you guys have never played a well-designed runner.

ss_f83047933eb456d53a985706f542563bd69e5c15.600x338.jpg

Give bit trip runner a try!

Yea, it's not an "endless" runner from what I saw. It has Nintendo designed courses which should be well designed. For people automatically blowing this off they should give it a chance. It's obviously not replacing 2D/3D Mario on NX.

This is a good move by Nintendo and should make them plenty of money while getting Mario in the hands of more consumers.

JordanN

Banned
2013: "Nintendo would never make a mobile game. It would devalue its brands enormously."

2016: "Of course Nintendo is making mobile games. It's building brand awareness."

How times change.

Read em and weep.

Lol, releasing games on mobile platforms will destroy Nintendo's HW business.

Going both on iOS and 3DS? Lol. No it doesn't make your argument stronger at all. Do you think people are willing to buy a 3DS when they can play it on their phones/tablets? Typical short term thinking. No, the 3DS isn't going to dissapear in a day, but Nintendo also don't have to release new HW anymore. Once they release games on mobile platforms, people will just wait for the next Nintendo mobile game. People will get used to the low pricing and you think people will "upgrade" to the 4DS where games costs around $30-40?

Your argument consists of Activsion, which is a 100% software company, of course they release games on all platforms. Nintendo is a SW and a platform holder. What a terrible comparison.
Exclusive Software Pushes Consoles. If the same content comes out on a system (IOS/Android) most people already have..then why the fuck would they buy a 4DS. They would just wait for the IOS version ..

It is a counterproductive strategy. If Nintendo releases full fledged games on another console..they need to go all in and dump hardware otherwise..what the fuck is the point. VC Console , add-ons, and small minigames are ok for IOS and the like. But if you put out WarioWare on IOS and try to sell the same game on your 4DS..for more probably..you are asking to fail.

lt519

But the excitement comes from knowing when to run and when to hit jump. You know, having multiple ways to interact with the game.

This game reduces interactivity down to a tap, controlling your run speed and jump arcs. It's a fairly hands off experience, which admittedly is what most people want out of a disposable game they play for a few seconds on the toilet.

Besides what one other poster said about speed, Run is no different than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThH7WfL6DVc

And this is what makes Mario 2D a masterclass in level design, every level can be played without "deciding" when to run. I'm hopeful that since Miyamoto had a hand in this that the level design will still be clever enough to have multiple paths with different difficulties. But maybe not, I can pretend for now.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Pretty surprising to see Nintendo pull this out of the hat. Not something I'll bother to play myself since I don't really like Nintendo games, but it's a smart move for Nintendo to broaden their appeal.

Sanjuro

The runner mechanic is very different than that of a 2d platformer. There is strategy and tactic involved in a proper platformer. Runners are essentially a timing game.

In the original SMB, most of the levels were designed to speed through along with timed jumps in order to get the high score. It's not apples and oranges here.

RM8

Were people this negative when Hotel Mario or Mario is Missing were released? (I mean, about the state of the Mario franchise).

So sales-gaf wise, any predictions?
I say at least 50.000.000, which would make it the best selling mario game to date.

I know it's guessing, but the price, gameplay, availability, support with new levels and length are the important factors. If it costs 1 euro everyone will buy it, if it costs 60 euro no one will buy it.

Can't wait for the non-gaming news sites to ask why this game is a success.
You have it backwards. It's the hardcore gaming websites that will scratching their heads over this while everyone else will just look at it and say "hey, I remember Mario. He still sells, right?".

ViolentP

In the original SMB, most of the levels were designed to speed through along with timed jumps in order to get the high score. It's not apples and oranges here.

The mechanics are entirely different. The flexibility of the platformer allows you to do what a runner does. But it is in no way a runner.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It’s a little bit early for April Fools, isn’t it?

Oh shit, is this for real?? !!!! o_O

Holy Shit.

Hm, the first 2D Mario I'll actually give a shit about in the last 10 years. Looks fun.

Anyway, I'm here for the mobile haters that are probably writhing at the announcement of this title. And that it will outsell all Mario titles ever released in a fraction of the time.

Ah right on cue:

The gameplay here is literally two taps on the screen. Engaging.

Don't you just hold right to win along with some jumps in Mario games anyway?

Wow, probably the biggest gaming news of the day, even if I'm intrigued by the Sony event.
I'm not thrilled by the idea of Mario on iOS (well, it'll be Android for me) but runners can be fun and I'm sure Nintendo will make a decent game at least so why not? It's a better alternative than an actual Mario platformer with a virtual d-pad.

Top Bottom