• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

Reversed

giphy.gif

Effect

Pokemon Go increased sales of regular Pokemon games. I expect Super Mario Run to do the same for regular Mario games. Excellent work Nintendo.

Yup. Don't be surprised if New Super Mario Bros (3DS (1 or 2) or Wii U) chart in the coming months. Same with Super Mario 3D Land/World. Nintendo said part of their mobile offers was to redirect people back to their hardware and the games on those systems. That clearly worked with Pokemon and I imagine Pokemon Sun and Moon will be one of the highest selling entries as a result. People need to chill if they're thinking this is a negative. It's not since this feeds back into the home console and portables and that's what we as traditional gamers want. For those to do well so we keep getting more of those games.

jmizzal

Nintendo found their Wii audience that left, make sense to put these games on phones, make a tone of money.

This game also will prob come to NX next year, since it suppose to be multi touch

It looks so fluid compared to other runners I've played. And it isn't F2P? I kind of have hope for this game. Day one buy, whenever it hits Android.

I really don't know how I feel about this. Pokemon Go was a horrible excuse for a game, but maybe they can nail it with Mario. The oldschool PC/console gamer inside of me will always dislike Free To Play games, and that same oldschool guy also frowns upon phone gaming. On the other hand I'm a hypocrite because I love Puzzle Quest, Bejeweled, Plants vs Zombies, etc.

I don't know. These days, we have Sonic games on Nintendo consoles so I guess nothing is sacred. Lol
See, that's why the generalization of your mindset is off. You don't not like "phone games". You just don't like bad games. A good game is a good game, regardless of platform

Oli

Honestly sounds great. Exactly the type of game I wanna play on my phone.

Can't wait for fire emblem and animal crossing.

Shouldn't think of like that. Games like this are for the tens of millions of people who will never buy a dedicated Nintendo console/handheld. This is them selling their games on a platform they actually own but not one of their direct console competitors.

Part of the reason these games exist is to try and convert those 10 million into console owners.

And if Pokemon Go is any indication, it works really well. Pokemon game sales exploded this year.

They demonstrate that every level is built with holding run and the direction arrow forward without letting up. Point being that the game they build here will probably show the same mastery in level design.

But the excitement comes from knowing when to run and when to hit jump. You know, having multiple ways to interact with the game.

This game reduces interactivity down to a tap, controlling your run speed and jump arcs. It's a fairly hands off experience, which admittedly is what most people want out of a disposable game they play for a few seconds on the toilet.

I remember how difficult the auto-running challenges were in NES remix. Not being be move left and right or decelerate is a weird experience.

I'm guessing this is one of the DeNA five?

The changes the company has been doing lately, nothing against Iwata at all, but it seems someone with some forward thinking has stepped up. At least it's something.
At the same time Iwata needs some credit as the buying 10% of DeNA happened under him. Maybe that is just me liking to think that I'm not sure Iwata wanted mobile development but might have known their days were numbered (with the health scare that eventually turned fatal) so decided to make sure his legacy was mobile done in a way more acceptable to him.

Rayman Jungle Run is basically the first mobile game I ever cared about to the point of playing it to completion. This seems to hit all the right notes.

But the excitement comes from knowing when to run and when to hit jump. You know, having multiple ways to interact with the game.

This game reduces interactivity down to a tap, controlling your run speed and jump arcs. It's a fairly hands off experience, which admittedly is what most people want out of a disposable game they play for a few seconds on the toilet.
Have you played the Rayman runners or Lost Socks? Or mobile games in general (besides the first stuff that tends to clutter the charts)?

Flambe

Hm a runner, kinda disappointing given Nintendo's history of innovation (saying that as not a huge Nintendo fan in last couple generations).

Would have expected something more than a clone of a well-established and trodden genre. the "full-fledged super Mario game" quote seems a bit disingenuous though that's marketing I guess.

I enjoy playing stuff on my phone but actual in-depth quality games are hard to come by and Nintendo is kinda the last company I'd expect to half-ass a première framchise. Subjective I guess, glad some people are excited.

Sanjuro

Hm a runner, kinda disappointing given Nintendo's history of innovation (saying that as not a huge Nintendo fan in last couple generations).

Would have expected something more than a clone of a well-established and trodden genre. the "full-fledged super Mario game" quote seems a bit disingenuous though that's marketing I guess.

I enjoy playing stuff on my phone but actual in-depth quality games are hard to come by and Nintendo is kinda the last company I'd expect to half-ass a première framchise. Subjective I guess, glad some people are excited.

Super Mario Bros. is kind of the runner, so it makes a lot of sense to release it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Part of the reason these games exist is to try and convert those 10 million into console owners.

And if Pokemon Go is any indication, it works really well. Pokemon game sales exploded this year.

Bingo. Nintendo's foray into mobile gaming is more or less elaborate marketing for their "proper" products.

You won't convert everyone, but they'll take whatever they can get.

Man, 2d mario, all you have to do is hold a direction and press a button.

Engaging.

You have to know enough about Mario's movement to know when to run fast and when to jump in order to not die.

This game removes that depth so that you can play it for thirty seconds and still be a big winner. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as that's what mobile games need to succeed.

E-phonk

Banned
So sales-gaf wise, any predictions?
I say at least 50.000.000, which would make it the best selling mario game to date.

Sadist

Good on no IAP though. That's something I truly dislike about mobile games.

But I wonder if the freemium trained people on iDevices will buy something like this for about € 7,99 - € 9,99.

Top Bottom