• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run Review Thread

orioto

Good Art™
To those who think Rayman fiesta is better, i'd be interested to know why. isn't Fiesta approach way more linear and limited in what you do ?

I can't play the game yet (android)

I genuinely don't understand the always online gripes for a smartphone game. Unless you're commute takes you through a deadzone or something, I don't see that as a concern for the overwhelming majority who will play this game.

Deadzones are actually very common for anyone who catches a train or subway. Outside of rural areas, this is easily the most common way for your connection to drop.

There are 3 deadzones on my daily train commute.

This is a pretty great phone game. I'm not sure why some people think it's so bad? I've found myself wishing it wasn't a runner at times, but even the demo is worth a download.

Deadzones are actually very common for anyone who catches a train or subway. Outside of rural areas, this is easily the most common way for your connection to drop.

There are 3 deadzones on my daily train commute.

It needs a connection in-between levels, you can play a whole level without a connection. It must store changes to your stats on the server.
If connection is down, then a retry screen comes up.

mollipen

I genuinely don't understand the always online gripes for a smartphone game. Unless you're commute takes you through a deadzone or something, I don't see that as a concern for the overwhelming majority who will play this game.

The only time I play smartphone games is when I'm on a flight, which I do quite often. So, yeah.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just hit two milestones.

8cOqXM6h.jpg

0CHlrtkh.jpg

LewieP

Do I seriously have to maintain a separate friends list for this one game, can't they just do a device agnostic friends list through mynintendo?

I already have my twitter and facebook linked to mynintendo, and my mynintendo account linked to Super Mario Run. Why do I have to separately link my twitter/facebook to Super Mario Run?

HotHamBoy

Please list some good mobile Roguelikes. I have no idea where I would start looking and would love a game or two like that on my phone.

Hoplite, 868-Hack, Imbroglio, Nightmare Cooperative, Swap Sword

Binding of Isaac is either coming next week or next month, and will be able to played in portrait

Those are good. I'll add:

Dungelot: Shattered Lands, Rune Keeper (kind of a rip off of Dungelot but I really prefer it), FTL, Desktop Dungeons, Tiny Rogue, Guild of Dungeoneers, Siralim 1 & 2, Neon Chrome, Five Card Quest, Card Dungeon, Tales of a Viking, Sproggiwood, Auro: A Monster Bumping Adventure, Downwell, Wayward Souls, Rust Bucket, Redungeon, Into the Dim, Enyo, HeadlessD, The Enchanted Cave 2, The Greedy Cave, 100 Rogues, Cardinal Quest 2, 1-Bit Rogue.

Solitairica is an amazing card game, btw. It's not really a roguelike but it takes ideas from roguelikes and applies them to Solitaire. It's digital crack.

Card Crawl is another take on roguelikes via a card game. It's also great.

Galactic Keep is a really cool digital pen and paper RPG.

I can't stand most mobile games I try but I think this one is great

I get sad when I read statements like these because it means that people have a very narrow view of what mobile games can be. They aren't all F2P nightmares with multiple currencies and in-app purchases and energy timers...

There's a ton of great stuff releasing on mobile all the time, even deep and robust stuff, you just have to go to a site like toucharcade.com to get coverage on the good stuff because the appstore charts are garbage and the shit F2P games spend millions for visibility to the obstruction of other games.

To those who think Rayman fiesta is better, i'd be interested to know why. isn't Fiesta approach way more linear and limited in what you do ?

I can't play the game yet (android)
They're both the same type of game. Premade levels with a set start, end, and various collectibles along the way. You run forward the entire time unless you jump off a wall, in which case you run the opposite direction briefly. They're both just as linear as one another. Difference is that in Rayman your endgame for a level is to collect every single lum in a level. In Mario, there's just a shit ton of coins thrown about, and you get as many as you can. There's the black coins or whatever that you can collect every single one per level, but their placement is like, you can either take the upper path or the lower path, you don't know beforehand which path the coin is on, and it comes down to memorization more than anything, whereas Rayman flows better and allows you to collect everything in one run.

Mario is also pretty much impossible to die in. In the end, you reach the end of the level, and get some arbitrary number of toads based on style points and coins collected, whereas the difficulty in Rayman comes from even being able to finish a level without dying.

Compared to Rayman Adventure, which is the best one and a full-fledged Rayman game on mobile.

Tratorn

They really want 10€ for 21 stages...?
Tried the free ones, but I won't spend money on this. Especially not this premium price.

zoukka

It looks and feels like a cheap clone of Mario.

It uses the same assets as the "real" Mario games...

For one, the NSMB presentation fits better on mobile than on console. It's like a perfect match!

Now ditch that look & feel from the next home console 2D mario.

Dingotech

When will this be available in australia? I still can't download it.

I purchased it at 7am this morning in Australia.

Can somebody answer me a question. My whole family plays on the same iTunes account, can my wife and kids use my in-app purchase of the game and create their own Nintendo accounts?

All other iTunes games we buy can be shared, I'll be a bit annoyed if they can't play this.

Tried the free ones, but I won't spend money on this. Especially not this premium price.

If you ever go to a fast food joint, you're probably spending 10 euros for a 10-min meal. This is a fair price for a high-quality, polished game with high production values made by A-list developers.

LordKano

If you ever go to a fast food joint, you're probably spending 10 euros for a 10-min meal. This is a fair price for a high-quality, polished game with high production values made by A-list developers.

That's not a fair comparison. The problem here is that games like Rayman Jungle Run are cheaper and have way more content. 10€ for 24 levels that you can blast through them in one hour seems way too much.

Tratorn

Sorry, but I have to laugh everytime when someone does those eating comparisions...

And nah, it isn't. The game has ok quality, but there is nothing that screams "wow, I'm so much better than all those other thousands of games in this genre". The name of the IP and the publisher is the only thing that will make this sell for that price and not becaue it's so much better than other games in the genre.

When talking about known publishers and IPs, I like the rayman runners more and they give me more for their money.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Can a mobile game/app be worth more than $10 to you ever? How come $9 is considered premium games territory? The last question was not really for you or you alone... it just makes me sad that the market is essentially forcing developers in the free to play - tons of micro transactions required later to enjoy your game area by making it impossible to recoup medium to large budgets... and then people wonder why I only consider PC and consoles as proper gaming platforms...

RM8

I'm playing this on the train on my way to work right now, and the dude in front of me is playing too, lol. I think it'll do fine here in Japan.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sorry, but I have to laugh everytime when someone does those eating comparisions...

And nah, it isn't. The game has ok quality, but there is nothing that screams "wow, I'm so much better than all those other thousands of games in this genre". The name of the IP and the publisher is the only thing that will make this sell for that price and not becaue it's so much better than other games in the genre.

When talking about known publishers and IPs, I like the rayman runners more and they give me more for their money.

Sure, but I am concerned by the quality and sustainability of mobile products as well as their variety in a market where things are expected to be free... (only to force the user to spend at every turn after they start playing)... software has a cost and mobile users seem not to be willing to pay for it / have to be coerced almost tricked into paying ;). That is not heathy.

evanmisha

If this game was on 3DS instead, in exactly the state it is now, and they asked 10 bucks for it, you'd never hear a single complaint about the price.

Lazaro

Just played it on an iPad Pro.

The core mechanics and levels is the only Nintendo things about this game. The use of toads reflect the stereotypical mobile F2P characters that help teach you how to use in-game currency to buy cosmetic times to customize your "town" or "kingdom". The toads are sell-outs, lol.

It's a nice mobile game. But I was expecting a higher quality mobile title.

It needs a connection in-between levels, you can play a whole level without a connection. It must store changes to your stats on the server.
If connection is down, then a retry screen comes up.

Ah, that's not so bad! I was worried it would boot you out if your connection dropped out temporarily.

LordKano

If this game was on 3DS instead, in exactly the state it is now, and they asked 10 bucks for it, you'd never hear a single complaint about the price.

I would have complained for the same reasons : lack of content compared to what's available.
For 10$ you can have some pretty good platformers with far more content.

Ninja Dom

People have a completely different mentality when it comes to gaming on consoles/handhelds and on mobile devices.

On a mobile device, the majority of everyday apps people download and use are free (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube etc) and people expect their games to also be that way.

On a games console/handheld it is the opposite, there are hardly any free apps in comparison and the majority of content are paid games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I would have complained for the same reasons : lack of content compared to what's available.
For 10$ you can have some pretty good platformers with far more content.

What if I do not want gameplay centered around micro transactions (most of those games are designed to pretty much force you to pay...)? How much choice is there?

I know what the expectations of the mobile audience is, I still think it is a monkey paw kind of wish... it does not make mobile as healthy of a market for developers and consumers as much as it is for the phone manufacturers.

Mobile gamers wishing all games to be free to download and play not always realise or care about the consequences of that market expectations, but then again it is an audience which wants quick payoff and will drop the game quickly and move to other games... so why make them deeper and better?

AgeEighty

GameSpot said:
It's a shame to find that it's on the easy side

Kind of sounds like the reviewer didn't bother with coins and just raced to the flagpole in every level, because I am sure not finding the purple and black ones to be "on the easy side".

GamesRadar said:
However, for a more casual player, Super Mario Run has the potential to be incredibly frustrating. Replaying levels over and over again, especially when each one is demanding to begin with and only increases in difficulty from there, is not the kind of relaxing commute-worthy process you might be looking for in a game.

Casual players play games like this all the time. It was at the very root of stuff like Angry Birds, Tiny Wings, Flappy Bird, and a ton of others. The key is to give people an addicting mechanic combined with near-instant retry.

LordKano

What if I do not want gameplay centered around micro transactions (most of those games are designed to pretty much force you to pay...)? How much choice is there?

I know what the expectations of the mobile audience is, I still think it is a monkey paw kind of wish... it does not make mobile as healthy of a market for developers and consumers as much as it is for the phone manufacturers.

Mobile gamers wishing all games to be free to download and play not always realise or care about the consequences of that market expectations, but then again it is an audience which wants quick payoff and will drop the game quickly and move to other games... so why make them deeper and better?

There's plenty choices even if you don't want any micro-transactions in it. As I've already said, Rayman Jungle Run is like 3$ and has way more content than Mario Run. There's probably a lot of other games in that category (I don't play that much on mobile so I don't know all of them). Now, they're probably not as polished as Mario, but does that really justify a 10$ price tag ? I really don't think so.

AgeEighty

There's plenty choices even if you don't want any micro-transactions in it. As I've already said, Rayman Jungle Run is like 3$ and has way more content than Mario Run. There's probably a lot of other games in that category (I don't play that much on mobile so I don't know all of them). Now, they're probably not as polished as Mario, but does that really justify a 10$ price tag ? I really don't think so.

I do. Ten bucks is nothing. And I also anticipate new levels to be released as time goes on which they likely won't upcharge for a second time.

TLZ

Banned
Mobile gamers eh. This is basically super Mario Bros u on the iPad and they made it much easier for you and much cheaper than console at $10 and you still complain.

I love it. It's exactly what I expected it to be and good fun. This will literally be my first ever mobile purchase.

Tratorn

Can a mobile game/app be worth more than $10 to you ever?

I don't have a problem to pay this price, but the game has to back this up with value. Either by being super awesome-amazing or by offering enough unique content. And I say "unique" because in theory of course you could play every stage hundreds of times, but this isn't a selling point (for me).

SE is also a publisher that sells mobile games for a "premium price" and I still bought some of them since I felt they were worth the money. I just don't have the feeling with SMR with its current content.

How come $9 is considered premium games territory?

Well, since that's what it is on the mobile stores. ;)

I spent about 2 or so hours last night just playing the free portion of the game and enjoyed getting all the coins and running 12 or so toad rallys, it was rather enjoyable and challenging for the purple and black coins.

Really though people need to look at more then just the number of stages because the rallys and kingdom builder are modes you return to and improve on over time and are just as fun. 24 stages is only half the Content this game provides.

tmespe

Nintendo do is entering an established market here. All the food and beverage comparisons are silly. The reality is that the average price of an iOS game is 1$. Nintendo is charging 10 times as much. For some the quality or branding might be worth that much, but for the average person who doesn't have the same connection with Nintendo or Mario, I doubt this game is worth 10x as much as similar games. There are a lot of other options on iOS that offer just as much for less.

AgeEighty

Nintendo do is entering an established market here. All the food and beverage comparisons are silly. The reality is that the average price of an iOS game is 1$. Nintendo is charging 10 times as much. For some the quality or branding might be worth that much, but for the average person who doesn't have the same connection with Nintendo or Mario, I doubt this game is worth 10x as much as similar games. There are a lot of other options on iOS that offer just as much for less.

I think the quantity comparisons are just as silly. People keep focusing on the amount of content and not what that content is. Whether you have a "connection" with Mario or not, the fact is it's one of the best, if not the best, platform experience you're likely to get on mobile. And it's not exactly unprecedented for people to spend $5-10 on mobile games; there are a fair number of them on the top paid charts on the App Store.

I would bet most casual mobile players aren't deciding whether or not to download a game based on how much "content" it has. That's something more dedicated gamers tend to be more concerned with. Casual players decide more often based on how it looks on the app's homepage, word of mouth, and to a lesser extent App Store reviews.

Top Bottom