• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run Review Thread

LordKano

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/809522337548738562
2c3563f34e.png

But yeah, nobody likes it, and Miitomo had a better buzz.

It fucking JUST LAUNCHED like 2 HRS AGO. Most people are still at work. You, and others, are REALLY stretching trying to proclaim this game a failure, and even that all positive buzz is paid off. Why the extreme hatred? Cause it costs a few bucks? Wow.

The game is fantastic.
Pokémon Go released when everyone was either getting ready to go out or go to sleep and it was so popular at the immediate moment of launch that servers didn't work at all until the next day and still struggled for weeks after. I remember because some rando at the bar I was at yelled out that the game was up on the App Store and everyone started downloading it 😒😒😒

As I said, it's no Pokémon Go. Closer to Miitomo if anything.

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/809522337548738562
2c3563f34e.png

But yeah, nobody likes it, and Miitomo had a better buzz.
It's doing worse than a free internet radio app

zroid

Banned
I watched the GameXplain livestream and it looks pretty damn fun to me. The one thing that I'm probably going to get frustrated by is having to restart a level if you miss something, but since the levels are so short anyway it probably won't be a huge deal ultimately.

Too bad I have to wait for the Android version...

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Pokémon Go released when everyone was either getting ready to go out or go to sleep and it was so popular at the immediate moment of launch that servers didn't work at all until the next day and still struggled for weeks after. I remember because some rando at the bar I was at yelled out that the game was up on the App Store and everyone started downloading it 😒😒😒

As I said, it's no Pokémon Go. Closer to Miitomo if anything. It's not in the top 150 most downloaded free games.

Your post is laughable if serious.

It is already one of the highest grossing apps in the U.S. close to Pokemon Go.

I'm not, I'm defending my statement about how the game isn't as successful as Pokemon go.

Achtung, baby

It has been out 2 hours, and is almost grossing as much as PokemonGo.

Get serious.

Your post is laughable if serious.

It is already one of the highest grossing apps in the U.S. close to Pokemon Go.
It's well below Pokemon Go which hasn't been particularly notable since July or August. It also costs $10 unlike every app above it, which depend on people being invested in the app to make revenue.

I believe Miitomo topped the free games chart for a day, correct me if I'm wrong 🤔

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It's well below Pokemon Go which hasn't been particularly notable since July or August. It also costs $10 unlike every app above it, which depend on people being invested in the app to make revenue.

I believe Miitomo topped the free games chart for a day, correct me if I'm wrong 🤔

By well below you mean 2 spots below in the U.S. and it has only been out for 2 hours.

You are either a really bad troll or dense.

Either way your posts are annoying drive-by trash.

You came to this great concept a few hours after it was released?

You should not jump to conclusions so fast , because it makes you sound a but dumb.
Again, Pokemon Go was doing so wildly well moments after release that nobody could even play the damn thing for hours. Already doing worse.

You're being a stupid idiot right now and this is a review threads so it's baffling to me that there is even a derail about the game's performance.
I think what happened was that someone accused reviewers of being paid off to give the game high scores because of the fact that the game wasn't doing too well despite being rated very highly, then we started talking about if the game was doing well or not.

TheMoon

This has happened with Nintendo games in the past, where reviewers are seemingly paid off to go easy on them and give a near perfect review of the game. This happened most notably with Skyward Sword in 2011.

Guess it happened again.

Feel free to join us in the real world anytime :D

Vice

Pokémon Go released when everyone was either getting ready to go out or go to sleep and it was so popular at the immediate moment of launch that servers didn't work at all until the next day and still struggled for weeks after. I remember because some rando at the bar I was at yelled out that the game was up on the App Store and everyone started downloading it ������

Pandora is one of the more popular music streaming services in the United State with a $5 sub service, lots of ads and has had a huge install base, around 80 million for years. Mario Run came out a few hours ago.

Again, Pokemon Go was doing so wildly well moments after release that nobody could even play the damn thing for hours. Already doing worse.

I think what happened was that someone accused reviewers of being paid off to give the game high scores because of the fact that the game wasn't doing too well despite being rated very highly, then we started talking about if the game was doing well or not.

Yeah we are all stupid, but please stop iluminating us.

I have enjoyed the game a lot so did my family. Smw is still my fav mario game, but this is a refreshing change.

Qwark

The always online thing seems like an annoying inconvenience, wish that wasn't the case. I do like that it's a premium priced title (I'm so sick of f2p timers), even if I think $10 is a little much for apparently light content. I really want to play it, but I'm on Android.

The always online thing seems like an annoying inconvenience, wish that wasn't the case. I do like that it's a premium priced title (I'm so sick of f2p timers), even if I think $10 is a little much for apparently light content. I really want to play it, but I'm on Android.
You are missing a great mobile app. Its all the nintendo magic on the contrains of a one button input.

D3VI0US

Played the trial and it's exactly what you would expect, a super easy not very inspired endless runner with Mario. I have itunes credit I've had for years to spend and it's still not worth $10 to me. I know I could burn through it in a few hours and like most Mario games since Sunshine it's just too easy, needs more challenge to be fun for a guy like me.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Played the trial and it's exactly what you would expect, a super easy not very inspired endless runner with Mario. I have itunes credit I've had for years to spend and it's still not worth $10 to me. I know I could burn through it in a few hours and like most Mario games since Sunshine it's just too easy, needs more challenge to be fun for a guy like me.

Go through and collect all the black coins without a guide and let me know if it's still easy for you.

Try the extra coin challenges when re-entering levels. They get reasonably challenging in the first world alone.

It's not an endless runner.

Also, are you going for the special coins?

You havent finished the game.....

You mean the opening levels aren't challenging to someone who's been playing games since Mega Man?

Man, they're really let the hardcore players down.

I genuinely don't understand the always online gripes for a smartphone game. Unless you're commute takes you through a deadzone or something, I don't see that as a concern for the overwhelming majority who will play this game.
Because always-online isn't justified in this game.

Because the first 3 levels of every Mario game have always been extremely challenging...

What the hell is it about Mario Run that people are losing their minds over?!

benzopil

Because the first 3 levels of every Mario game have always been extremely challenging...

What the hell is it about Mario Run that people are losing their minds over?!

"These stupid 30-years-old platformers which didn't change at all since NES are outside of Nintendo consoles now!"

BiggNife

I genuinely don't understand the always online gripes for a smartphone game. Unless you're commute takes you through a deadzone or something, I don't see that as a concern for the overwhelming majority who will play this game.
I'm willing to bet you've never taken a train to work on the east coast

It is basically impossible to get a stable internet connection on NJTransit, PATH or the NY subway

I remember trying to play Miitomo on my commute and I literally couldn't because it would sometimes take upwards of ten minutes for the game to get a connection it could run on. And I'm far from "the boonies," I live in suburban NJ right next to NYC.

Air

Banned
8-9 is about where I'd put it. It's really good. Dumb always online decision which will hinder the place I'd play it the most (in the subway)

Athreous

9/10?
5/5?
92/100?

give me a break...

There are a ton of better games around... mobile wise...

It's just cuz it's Nintendo...

The same people relentlessly slagging off this game are exactly the same people who, in every single thread about Nintendo, drone on about how they should go third party and should just make mobile games instead of 3DS games etc etc.

Nintendo just bring out absolute hate in people. It's partially a reaction to the occasionally bewildering things Nintendo do, partially hate at Nintendo for not being as sycophantically faux-'consumer friendly' as Sony and Microsoft (that is, I think all major hardware companies are just as profit driven as each other), and partially just total xenophobia because Nintendo are probably the biggest consumer goods company in the world to be SO non-Western in the way they operate.

I downloaded Super Mario Run and REALLY enjoyed the demo levels. It flows so well and feels wonderful to play. But I'm just not sure it has enough content to warrant an £8 purchase, at this moment in time... When stuff like BoxBoy and Pullblox is under £5 on the eShop it becomes a bit harder to warrant buying a similar game which is lighter on content for a higher price point. Even though I really want it!

Also, the always online thing is inconvenient for sure, and I'd rather it wasn't there. But it's not the end of the world and ultimately won't effect playing the game to a great extent. People seem to forget that Pokemon Go, the most insanely popular 'game' of the last ten years at least, was necessarily always online, and that didn't exactly put people off.

HotHamBoy

I would be more interested in this game if it wasn't just another recycle of the bland NSMB assets.

I'll just stick to all the other great Mario games I have.

Ah, yes, surely, the evidence being Nintendo never earned a bad reviews ever, huh?

One things for certain, why do these big review game sites like gamespot and IGN are quick to review Mario Run but not other quality premium mobile games?

Where are there reviews for at least some of them? No where to be found.

blackflag

Do you have any idea what Pokémon Go uses servers for vs. this game that basically just pings to make sure you are online and probably just records your score?

I don't even know if the game is good but your statement is idiotic.

Top Bottom