• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Sunshine needs a Remake on Switch (and Miyamoto doesn't want to do it)

EVH

Or so does he say in this interview, that he is not interested in remaking Mario games.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/27/e3-2017-shigeru-miyamoto-and-the-legacy-of-mario

Despite that new, more fleshed-out design for Mario, Miyamoto says he has little interest in revisiting his older games, even with new technology. "I don’t really feel like I want to remake any of them. It’s more natural to always create new mechanics and new games."

I've always loved the game and I am replaying it on Dolphin now, but it has obviously some of problems. From the camera system and the limited FLUDD control due to the bad right stick in GameCube, including the hard to fucking find blue coins. But all this could be fixed in a possible remake. The biggest problem would of course be the analog triggers needed for FLUDD, as Switch does not have those. Still I'm sure they could find a fix using two left triggers to control the intensity.

I'd rather just have it on virtual console. That said, Miyamoto isn't necessarily the be-all end-all influence on whether or not a Mario will be remade in the future. Shinya would have to deal with it.

However I agree with Miyamoto, resources should be used elsewhere.

Shiggy

It's almost unbelievable that the game comes from a team largely composed of those who later made Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2. I'm not even sure how they'd start fixing the game's issues.

E-phonk

Banned
It's almost unbelievable that the game comes from a team largely composed of those who later made Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2. I'm not even sure how they'd start fixing the game's issues.

A better camera and some better, focused levels would go a long way.

Although I must admit it has been more then 10 years since I played it. I knew I liked it at the time even though the camera and controls were frustrating. And I particularly loved the small platforming void/challenge-levels it had.

Nicky Ali

We don't need to go and remake every single game.

I honestly think Sunshine is fine the way it is, warts and all. It is what it is. We don't need to start George Lucas-ing every game with this revsionist mentality.

It only steals reasources that could've gone into making something new and fresh.

Nanashrew

Banned
But I really want a remaster :<

Plus it was originally intended to be 60fps but they changed it to 30fps before release because of the new water and stuff.

60 FPS "remastered version". Not a remake.

But I really want a remaster :<

Plus it was originally intended to be 60fps but they changed it to 30fps before release because of the new water and stuff.

they did it on dolphin, 60 fps and HD textures, and it's amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZixBquVDCBc

H9DuPZa.png

JWsvIRY.png

ksamedi

I dont think any Mario game needs a remake. They are timeless classics. I still play the original Mario from time to time, and also other entries. They sill play and look great. Now Mario Sunshine is a pretty crappy game if you ask me, and would probably be better if they fix the camera issues but still not very worth it.

Balb

Super Mario Sunshine desperately needs a remake. There's a lot to like about the original but a lot of it feels unfinished/unpolished and the game doesn't feel like something Nintendo would normally release in its final released state. I can see why they're not that interested in remaking it because it would take a lot of work to bring it up to par with what people expect from a 3D Mario game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Miyamoto is a good guy! Make new games, not ports and remakes. Mario Sunshine absolutely does not need a remake, it is available for GameCube / Wii , if you want to play it, buy it on ebay. The only game tha needs a remake is Super Mario 64 DS, because now there is no best version of SM64, so a remake that contains all the content of the DS game but standard analog controls would be very much appreciated.

PSFan

What issues? The game is fine. It's one of my favorites.

Balb

What issues? The game is fine. It's one of my favorites.

The blue coin system is a mess and is there to mask the game's lack of worlds. The camera is also frustrating at times and certain Shine missions are very poorly designed (such as the pachinko mini-game). There's also no reward for getting all the shines which is a pretty big oversight in my opinion.

Despite that new, more fleshed-out design for Mario, Miyamoto says he has little interest in revisiting his older games, even with new technology. "I don’t really feel like I want to remake any of them. It’s more natural to always create new mechanics and new games."

I guess all those New Super Mario Bros games just didn't happen

If they remastered it, they wouldn't do a LOT of changes, most likely they would work out some things like mapping the blue coins and things like that, the wind waker remaster did some small adjustments to the base game, but didn't add new dungeons or things like that.

oti

Banned
I wouldn't expect Miyamoto of all people to remake a Mario game.

Also, as I've never had a GameCube, Sunshine is bad and doesn't deserve any attention whatsoever.

Mario Galaxy HD Collection plz.

Nanashrew

Banned
The blue coin system is a mess and is there to mask for the game's lack of worlds. The camera is also frustrating at times and certain Shine missions are very poorly designed (such as the pachinko mini-game). There's also no reward for getting all the shines which is a pretty big oversight in my opinion.

Also fix the save function after getting a blue coin. A simple fix would be able to collect a blue coin and it autosaves in the background rather than asking you to save every single time.

iMerc

guys, these single player nintendo games aren't going to get any remakes on switch, and the chances of them doing so are low.

if nintendo's going to be porting/remastering/remaking any of their prior titles to switch it will be the multiplayer focused ones like smash.
even something like custom robo has a likely better chance of appearing on switch than a sinlge player focused game like mario sunshine because it takes advantage of the 'multiplayer out of the box' feature that the switch highlights every single time.

Nanashrew

Banned
guys, these single player nintendo games aren't going to get any remakes on switch, and the chances of them doing so are low.

if nintendo's going to be porting/remastering/remaking any of their prior titles to switch it will be the multiplayer focused ones like smash.
bloody custom robo hasa likely better chance of appearing on switch than a sinlge player focused game like mario sunshine because it takes advantage of the 'multiplayer out of the box' feature that the switch highlights every single time.

Odyssy is a single player focused game. The only form of co-op is playing as his hat. Very similar to Galaxy where 2P played as a cursor and shot at and stunned enemies for Mario.

EDIT: There's also Breath of the Wild which is purely single player.

silva1991

VC is enough. Sunshine wasn't very good back then, I figure it doesn't hold up very well.

I was playing it in the last few days and I don't think I'll ever finish it. Easily the worst 3D Mario game I played.

Water mechanics were fun for the first few hours and the levels weren't great.

Odyssy is a single player focused game. The only form of co-op is playing as his hat. Very similar to Galaxy where 2P played as a cursor and shot at and stunned enemies for Mario.

I don't know where that post was coming from, but Odyssey is not a remake.

PSFan

The blue coin system is a mess and is there to mask the game's lack of worlds. The camera is also frustrating at times and certain Shine missions are very poorly designed (such as the pachinko mini-game). There's also no reward for getting all the shines which is a pretty big oversight in my opinion.

I never thought any of that was so bad. It didn't bother me at all. I've recently started replaying it with Nintendont and am still enjoying it immensely.

Top Bottom