• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Sunshine needs a Remake on Switch (and Miyamoto doesn't want to do it)

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't know where that post was coming from, but Odyssey is not a remake.

I realize that, but the post was insinuating heavy multiplayer focus when they could still port single player focused titles.

Not everything on Wii U is multiplayer focused, and you can bet those will get ports and whatever to Switch as well.

I would say that the real message is Miyamoto has no intent to champion remasters or remakes of his older games and just move forward with newer games. Even if those games (New series) are incredibly iterative in some opinion.

So do we disassociate all those remakes on Wii U from Miyamoto now? He didn't want Zelda remakes?

"We've actually made a number of different improvements. I think the previous game, the length and the player pacing of it was something we thought we could improve on," he said. "For example, this time we've added an additional sail, that allows the boat to travel faster this time than it did in the original GameCube game. And when you're dropping your crane down in the ocean to hunt for sunken treasure, the length of the chain on the crane is shorter so you spend less time on that. So it basically helps to speed up the gameplay a little bit. So the pacing has really been improved upon."

He's cool with "improving" old games when they're desperate for software I guess.

KHlover

Banned
On one hand it desperately needs a remake, but on the other hand they could also just remake good games like Galaxy 1&2...screw Sunshine lol

Kurt

The most frustrating part for me with this game was the water controls.

Now if they use motion controls, it would be a huge different instead of using that stupid none working analog controls.

That said, it should remove most of the piranha plants enemies and add a lot of new enemies in it. Also less dirt (removing).

JCH!

I'm OK with this. I think we're suffering some kind of remaster/remake epidemy at the moment. I would honestly rather see any and all remakes/remasters axed in favor of that money and dev. time being dedicated to actual new content.

sphinx

the piano man
On one hand it desperately needs a remake, but on the other hand they could also just remake good games like Galaxy 1&2...screw Sunshine lol

I adored SMS when it released and I still think is a highlight int he NGC library but I'd love a re-imaging of it

same premise, mechanics, characters, world, new HD assets,

just make it bit tighter and streamlined and get rid of annoyances like blue coins, bad cameras, glitches and cumbersome/complicated manuevers that are more annoying than fun.

it really could have 1 less shine per world, if not less... it's a bit too long for its own good.

Super Mario Bros. Sunshine

Luigi comes on the trip. 2 player splitscreen or separate co-op, in addition to a much more tightly designed (and 60 FPS in 1 Player Mode) Sunshine.

Also, replaced Drugged Peach while you're at it.

P.S. A fucking indicator if Blue Coins are available in a specific Shine's map or not.

Haldinian

When I see how demanded an HD port of this game is I don't know if some of the people that want it has played it recently.

For one thing done right, Sunshine does another two wrong. The game has its virtues, but is full of problems and is generally half-baked (this is one of the most evident examples of Nintendo rushing a development of that era).

It needs to be entirely remade to match the general 3D Mario standards... but I don't think we really need it, more even seeing how Odyssey is going to massively improve the formula used in SM64 and Sunshine and solve some of the problems present in those games, even mixing elements of the more recent 3D Land/World and Galaxy series on it.

Maybe they should release it as a GC Virtual Console title so more people can play it again and see how it's not really the hottest game to beg an HD port.

So do we disassociate all those remakes on Wii U from Miyamoto now? He didn't want Zelda remakes?

He's cool with "improving" old games when they're desperate for software I guess.

I would say that considering how Nintendo handled both remasters (Dev training for working on Breath of the Wild via WWHD and TPHD was actually Aonuma's decision after WWHD's release), neither would be applicable to Miyamoto's personal thoughts of not wanting to remake his own Mario games.

I would say that considering how Nintendo handled both remasters (Dev training for working on Breath of the Wild via WWHD and TPHD was actually Aonuma's decision after WWHD's release), neither would be applicable to Miyamoto's personal thoughts of not wanting to remake his own Mario games.

Yeah sure dude.

He probably cried himself to sleep when they released Mario Allstars and all those GBA remakes.

You'd need to rework a lot of that game to make it worth doing. I think it would be more money and manpower than anybody reasonably wants to do, and I don't blame them for not going for it. It's not even touch-ups or slight fixes like speeding up the boats and things - some of the basic design aspects need to be rethought to truly make it up to par with the other Mario games, and at that point it's just more sensible to make a new Mario game and focus on that instead. I see why he doesn't want to do it.

I really don't understand why everyone is always begging for a Sunshine remake, a really mediocre game, when we've never even had an HD Mario 64 remake, one of the best games of all time.

Famassu

It's almost unbelievable that the game comes from a team largely composed of those who later made Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2. I'm not even sure how they'd start fixing the game's issues.
Add a few levels and remove some blue coins to keep it at 120 Shines. Game is fixed. Mechanically the game is still incredible, far prefer how Sunshine actually handles to 64 thanks to the absolutely amazing FLUDD & all its possibilities. And while FLUDD is great, many of the FLUDDless levels are far better than anything in SM64, as far as offering challenging yet fun platforming goes. Clear precursors for stuff in Galaxies & 3d Marios past them.

Miyamoto really didn't have much to do with it. Miyamoto barely handles anything Zelda anymore, it's largely Aonuma who handles the series.

Miyamoto is long past the point where he's actively involved in game design. He's exactly the kind of guy deciding if things like Wind Waker HD get released.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really don't understand why everyone is always begging for a Sunshine remake, a really mediocre game, when we've never even had an HD Mario 64 remake, one of the best games of all time.

People clamouring for a Sunshine remake should be given Super Mario Boat, with 120 boat levels to play.

kc44135

Personally, I just want remasters, not remakes. Fully fledged remakes of Sunshine and Galaxy would likely be too cost/time intensive to really be worth it, and I honestly think those games look good as is... on a tube TV anyway. They just need a higher resolution to be playable on modern TV's, and that's all I'd want.

120v

why would you want them to prioritize Sunshine of all things? outside of the inevitable mario HD collection we'll get ten or so years from now

iMerc

I realize that, but the post was insinuating heavy multiplayer focus when they could still port single player focused titles.

Not everything on Wii U is multiplayer focused, and you can bet those will get ports and whatever to Switch as well.

that's what i disagree with, and you're right in that i was def implying that multiplayer focused games are the no.1 priority fro nintendo's 'port/remaster' objectives.
i'd be happy to be wrong, as i love a lot of nintendo single player games, but you will unlikely see Yoshi's woolly world, captain toad, kirby & the magic paintbrush, or DKC:TF, or SM3dW ported onto switch.
Bayonetta 2, TMS, and Devils Third are a little up in the air, but unless Sega, Platinum, Atlus, or Valhalla actively request them, you won't see those either.
The only avenue where i see this happening is if nintendo runs into a software drought like they did on wiiu, but it seems quite unlikely with the switch.

also, i don't get why we're including BoTW. this game was released on the market the same time as the wiiU version. to the average consumer & the market as a whole, this was a BRAND NEW simultaneous release.
only 'hardcore gamers' on an internet msg board will make the distinction that this is a port, and only to 'hardcore gamers' on an internet msg board does this distinction have any weight or relevance. :)

I'm of the opinion that most of their past titles should be available on Switch in one form or another, barring those which are technically unfeasible for some reason (such as those with extensive motion controls). Why allow countless games to be stuck in the past when they could be ported over or emulated. It would be akin to movies being released on VHS not being made available on DVD, Blu Ray and streaming etc.

Nanashrew

Banned
why would you want them to prioritize Sunshine of all things? outside of the inevitable mario HD collection we'll get ten or so years from now

Nah, 4 more years for his 35th anniversary.

Unless you count Donkey Kong as Mario's real anniversary, than this year is Mario's 35th anniversary.

kc44135

that's what i disagree with, and you're right in that i was def implying that multiplayer focused games are the no.1 priority fro nintendo's 'port/remaster' objectives.
i'd be happy to be wrong, as i love a lot of nintendo single player games, but you will not see Yoshi's woolly world, captain toad, kirby & the magic paintbrush, or DKC:TF, or SM3dW ported onto switch.
Bayonetta 2, TMS, and Devils Third are a little up in the air, but unless Sega, Platinum, Atlus, or Valhalla actively request them, you won't see those either.

also, i don't get why we're including BoTW. this game was release on the market the same time as the wiiU version. to the average consumer & the market as a whole, this was a BRAND NEW simultaneous release.
only 'hardcore gamers' on an internet msg board will make the distinction that this is a port, and only to 'hardcore gamers' on an internet msg board does this distinction have any weight or relevance. :)

So you're arguing Nintendo never ports/remasters single-player games for their newer systems? What were Zelda: OOT 3D, Majoras Mask 3D, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Star Fox 64 3D and others, then?

WhatNXt

I don't need remakes, but it would be super lovely if future Nintendo consoles had internal rendering boosts as an option for 3D-era VC games.

kc44135

I'm of the opinion that most of their past titles should be available on Switch in one form or another, barring those which are technically unfeasible for some reason (such as those with extensive motion controls). Why allow countless games to be stuck in the past when they could be ported over or emulated. It would be akin to movies being released on VHS not being made available on DVD, Blu Ray and streaming etc.

Agreed, 100%. Nintendo has a classic catalog of games, and they should be playable by as many people in as many systems as possible. This is why I'm glad the Virtual Console exists (although I really wish N64, GameCube, etc. would be upscaled to a higher resolution on VC than 480p, maybe 720p if it wasn't too demanding on the Switch hardware).

Nanashrew

Banned
I really enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine. Moreso than SM64.

But the internet keeps telling me I'm wrong. :(

It's my favorite too, but it does have some serious flaws that would be nice to see ironed out. Sunshine was rushed out the door in need of a big hitter with the GC failing and all.

Top Bottom