• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Sunshine needs a Remake on Switch (and Miyamoto doesn't want to do it)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I agree with Miyamoto that when it comes to Mario games, a remake is not necessary. Just release it on Virtual Console and leave it at that.

Pokemaniac

The problem with remaking Super Mario Sunshine is that it's level design is honestly pretty flawed in ways that border on fundamental at times. You'd either have to kind of stick with the game in all its unfinished glory, or replace/fix wide swaths of it.

Ridley327

I think anyone wanting a remake to expand on the content the game needs might be missing the context that whatever ideas they had at the time that weren't implemented have almost assuredly been used in the 3D Mario games since then, Galaxy especially. Basically wanting a new game to made in SMS's name illustrates that they're better off making a whole new game rather than trying to "fix" something that can't really be fixed.

Sunshine is what it is.

Timeaisis

Why are we so obsessed with remaking old games? You'd rather them spend time remaking the (not so great) Sunshine than making a new Mario? I don't get it.

A port would be nice, of course. If they can ever get Gamecube emulation on the Switch.

andymcc

Banned
350x700px-LL-fdbcdcbc_cc0.jpeg

Dude's entire post history. see: MJ RIP thread and virtually any music one.

MysteryM

I played this through on the game cube, but seriously, having played SM64 day one I was bitterly disappointed.

Remake SM64, re-release galaxy in 1080p etc. but I have no interest in playing sunshine ever again.

As much as I like sunshine, really it would need such an overhaul that a full on Sunshine 2 would be a better idea.

There are way way way too many blue coins. They take up far too many stars in the game and you would need to double the amount of levels.

And if the levels that are there, (even the good ones) half the shines in each would need to be completely rethought because they just aren't up to standard for a first party mario game mission these days. The game would be slaughtered in reviewes if like half the games non blue coin shine missions stayed in exactly as they are

But the water pack mechanic I think was fun enough to try and build another game around in the future.

It really did expand mario's move set and would allow Nintendo and the current mario team to create a lot of unique and interesting ideas because I don't think sunshine tapped the potential of where they can take that mechanic at all

Screw a VC release. Knowing Nintendo they'd mess it up one way or another, and there's no good alternative for the analog trigger's functions. Give me a remake with a reworked FLUDD and more Shines, alongside the scrapped levels.

Tansut

This is getting ridiculous and I'm unable to understand how someone who is replaying this game reachs the conclusion that it needs a remake. Basically because a remake would not fix ANYTHING of its problems, which are overwhelming.

Sunshine doesn't have control, graphic or bug issues. It is not like Wind Waker, a game that with a pair of adjustements fixed a lot of its pacing problems. Sunshine is just an incomplete game with an incredible lack of content and an incredible ammount of stuffing. As I've said in other ocasions, only the first three shines of each world or so are good. After that, the game becomes the very definition of repetition, unpolishing and tedium and nostalgy should not blind people about it:

-Repetitive bonus levels with nothing special about them.
-Revisitations of those bonus levels, in order to get red coins.
-Unpolished levels with gimmick mechanics that are barely unplayable, like the pachinko, the bottle or the waterlily river.
-Terrible missions with tedious ideas like the watermelon festival or Yoshi's fruity adventure.
-More than SEVEN Dark Mario pursuits that are exactly the same.
-THREE battles against the same Gooper Blooper with no twist.
-The worst final level and the worst final battle of any Mario game in Mount Corona.
-240 blue coins hidden in ridiculous places.

Nintendo perfectly aknowledges this and doesn't want people to revive it.
200.gif

NathanS

I guess all those New Super Mario Bros games just didn't happen

He also had almost nothing to do with any of them, those are under the eye of Tezuka. Miyamoto has more to do with the 3d games. Even then the last one he was heavily involved in was Galaxy, and 64 was the last one he was personally in charge of.

Marcel

This is getting ridiculous and I'm unable to understand how someone who is replaying this game reachs the conclusion that it needs a remake. Basically because a remake would not fix ANYTHING of its problems, which are overwhelming.

Sunshine doesn't have control, graphic or bug issues. It is not like Wind Waker, a game that with a pair of adjustements fixed a lot of its pacing problems. Sunshine is just an incomplete game with an incredible lack of content and an incredible ammount of stuffing. As I've said in other ocasions, only the first three shines of each world or so are good. After that, the game becomes the very definition of repetition, unpolishing and tedium and nostalgy should not blind people about it:

-Unpolished levels with gimmick mechanics that are barely unplayable, like the pachinko, the bottle or the waterlily river.
-Terrible missions with tedious ideas like the watermelon festival or Yoshi's fruity adventure.
-The worst final level and the worst final battle of any Mario game in Mount Corona.

Fucking preach. Have no idea where the nostalgia for Sunshine comes from. The game has so many problems and was essentially released unfinished.

Peltz

It's almost unbelievable that the game comes from a team largely composed of those who later made Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2. I'm not even sure how they'd start fixing the game's issues.

There is a lot of good stuff in Sunshine, and some of the ideas in the game hearken to the same magic that the Galaxy games had, but it's clear they ran into time constraints during development.

It's the worst 3D Mario game, but it's still a classic must-play experience in my opinion. All the other 3D Marios are simply the best of the genre and Sunshine falls short of that echelon. But it's still a good game.

It would be nice if Nintendo could do for Gamecube games on Switch what Sony is doing for PS2 games on PS4. They're raising the resolution and sometimes making the framerate smoother, but for the most part they're keeping the game the same. Low investment on Sony's part to make those older games more palatable on newer TVs and they're able to sell them at around $10 each, which I think is worth it.

We don't need or even particularly want a full remake of Super Mario Sunshine, but I would gladly pay $10 for access to play it at 1080p on my TV through my Switch.

jts

...hate me...
Sunshine needs a do-over.

Here's what's what:

Make a Super Mario Sunshine 2 that is actually good, pack it together with SMS HD.

Everyone is happy.

Damn. I've never played Sunshine, but wow.

You should make a thread about this. I would love to read your elaboration on these points.

Also, was the game really released unfinished? Was this confirmed by Nintendo?

Mark1

Yeah I don't want remakes of old Mario games either. Even if they got a different team to work on a Sunshine remake not sure if I would buy it, or any other 3D game. However, my brother would probably buy it, or at least a 1080p Switch port.

Would rather their efforts were focused on more new and refreshing stuff like Odyssey.

Txαi

You could say he's sort of married with the franchise. So coming up with new mechanics is probably more refreshing to him.

TAS

Sunshine was great for its time, but Nintendo has grown and perfected the Mario series since and it looks like Odyssey might be the best one ever. So no..I don't feel like we need a Sunshine remake.

Ridley327

Damn. I've never played Sunshine, but wow.

You should make a thread about this. I would love to read your elaboration on these points.

Also, was the game really released unfinished? Was this confirmed by Nintendo?
Unfinished isn't quite the right term, but it was rushed to the market after the Gamecube stumbled out the gate in order to fulfill Iwata's promise of having SMS, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker out in the same year, at least in Japan.

But they said Gamecube games are meant to be coming to Switch?

Or does he specifically mean "remake the whole thing".

Because if so, yeah of course he won't remake Mario's when he can make a new one.

And he's right. It's better as a creator to create new stuff, and create stuff because you have a reason to. Please fans isn't good enough for artists.

It's like that Henry Ford quote about if he would have just asked what customers wanted: "they would have said a faster horse" instead of a car.

Yukinari

Sunshine has such fun movement and fantastic music and theming but the moment you try to go for optional shines the experience falls apart.

I mean it fell apart the moment you realize you HAVE to do linear progression to beat the game unlike Mario 64.

PSqueak

Banned
Nothing. Ever. Needs. A. Remake!

I'll gladly take some when they come, but fuck that, nothing "needs" a remake, i'd rather have new entries.

I'll never udnerstand the hate for sunshine on here. Fucking love it. Was my first 3D Mario game. I initially didn't want to pick it up because I didn't like Fluud and how clean shit was a a gameplay mechanic but I was in love with platformers at the time and this was one of the few ones I hadn't had so I caved and I'm so happy that I did.

Kneefoil

An HD Remaster with some kind of hint system for Blue Coins would be awesome, but a full remake? I don't think the game needs it. It still holds up extremely well.

An HD Remaster with some kind of hint system for Blue Coins would be awesome, but a full remake? I don't think the game needs it. It still holds up extremely well.
That and maybe some reward for bothering to get all 120 shine sprites. I don't remember there being anything of the sort, anyway.

Kneefoil

That and maybe some reward for bothering to get all 120 shine sprites. I don't remember there being anything of the sort, anyway.

The only reward was changing the ending screen from this to this.

Doesn't really live up to the Yoshi cameo, max lives, and the Super Jump you got in Mario 64, so something a little more would definitely be welcome in a remaster.

Slime

Banned
Sunshine was bloated as fuck. There were way too many collectibles, and the FLUDD seemed like a way to salvage levels that felt like they were designed for a different game.

The FLUDD-less levels are enjoyable, but rest of it was a sloppy chore. Not the tight, revolutionary follow-up to Mario 64 the series deserved.

Top Bottom