• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Sunshine needs a Remake on Switch (and Miyamoto doesn't want to do it)

jorgejjvr

This is getting ridiculous and I'm unable to understand how someone who is replaying this game reachs the conclusion that it needs a remake. Basically because a remake would not fix ANYTHING of its problems, which are overwhelming.

Sunshine doesn't have control, graphic or bug issues. It is not like Wind Waker, a game that with a pair of adjustements fixed a lot of its pacing problems. Sunshine is just an incomplete game with an incredible lack of content and an incredible ammount of stuffing. As I've said in other ocasions, only the first three shines of each world or so are good. After that, the game becomes the very definition of repetition, unpolishing and tedium and nostalgy should not blind people about it:

-Repetitive bonus levels with nothing special about them.
-Revisitations of those bonus levels, in order to get red coins.
-Unpolished levels with gimmick mechanics that are barely unplayable, like the pachinko, the bottle or the waterlily river.
-Terrible missions with tedious ideas like the watermelon festival or Yoshi's fruity adventure.
-More than SEVEN Dark Mario pursuits that are exactly the same.
-THREE battles against the same Gooper Blooper with no twist.
-The worst final level and the worst final battle of any Mario game in Mount Corona.
-240 blue coins hidden in ridiculous places.

Nintendo perfectly aknowledges this and doesn't want people to revive it.
Make a thread

I tried Super Mario Sunshine back in the day on the GameCube and I didn't like it then. Over time, I grew to love Wind Waker (which I also didn't like at the time) but I still have no desire to ever play Sunshine again. The Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, 3D Land, 3D World, and Super Mario Odyssey games were so much better anyway. Sunshine is the Super Mario Bros. 2 of the 3D games. And by far I'd rather play Super Mario Bros. 2 between those two.

AdanVC

I would prefer a sequel with better level design and less blue coins... The setting, characters and music on Sunshine were absolutely charming and awesome but some levels and quests to get some blue coins were absolutely disastrous sometimes they felt more like a chore

EMT0

Banned
I'd happily take an uprezzed Sunshine on the Switch, as I love that game dearly despite its very obvious flaws. Even better though, would be a remake. And above all that, I want Miyamoto to retire. He already wrecked Paper Mario, and if him being around is the reason why Sunshine won't be revisited that just makes me want him to retire even more.

I tried Super Mario Sunshine back in the day on the GameCube and I didn't like it then. Over time, I grew to love Wind Waker (which I also didn't like at the time) but I still have no desire to ever play Sunshine again. The Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, 3D Land, 3D World, and Super Mario Odyssey games were so much better anyway. Sunshine is the Super Mario Bros. 2 of the 3D games. And by far I'd rather play Super Mario Bros. 2 between those two.

Can you tell us the winning lottery numbers too?

It’s not really bait, it’s a joke based on a common stereotype.

Don’t act like Nintendo fans aren’t inclined to buy the same games over and over. You seen the SNES mini thread?
You don't think a PS Mini or PS2 Mini would elicit the same response? People have nostalgia for things they grew up with, hardly anything exclusive to one fanbase

Tohsaka

Sunshine is the only mainline Mario game I never finished. I rented it a long time ago and it didn't really click with me for whatever reason. I'd probably give it another try if they remastered it, though.

No thank you. Just accept Sunshine for what it is and replay it when you get the itch.

I never played Sunshine, but I don't want it all. Especially with a brand new Mario game that actually looks fun. Can't fix Sunshine's problems by changing the art, and the game graphically holds up anyway.

There are simply many better choices for a remake, and they make a lot more sense.

Threads like this really make me hate how casually we throw out hyperbolic statements. I know we're used to the idea of calling games "bad" or "terrible" based on certain design choices, but it's really sad sometimes. I kind of wish we could get back to a point where we refer to the quality of games appropriately.

Sunshine doesn't need to be remade, it just needs to be completed and polished up.

From data mining the game files, we know there were entire worlds that were cut, and that Corona Mountain was probably supposed to be its own world rather than just the pathetic final Bowser level that it is. There was also supposed to be some kind of train system to travel around the island, which makes more sense than the "painting" entrances for each world, considering you can often see the other worlds in the distance at different spots on the island.

How to fix Sunshine:
-Finish or create 3-5 new worlds
-Offload blue coin shines onto these new worlds
-Blue coins now purchase tropical outfits or allow you to buy a summer home for mario and decorate it ala Odyssey
-Delete the Pachinko shine
-Fix the janky camera angles in the few shines where it causes problems.
-Delete that shine where you have to roll that fucking melon down the hill without it exploding.
-Reinstate the train system, or do something to make the island seem more integrated

Whether or not this constitutes a remake or whatever I don't really care. Sunshine's core mechanics are amazing. The camera in general is leagues ahead of 64. The movement and controls are the pinnacle of the series imo. Playing Galaxy after a 120 shine run feels like Mario is stuck in mud.

I think Nintendo knows that is what would need to be done to rerelease Sunshine, which would unquestionably be a lot more work than WWHD and TPHD. So I get why they're not quick to do it. I'm hoping they eventually do right by Sunshine and complete the work that was cut to make the deadline, maybe a few years after Odyssey, to fill a drought in first party releases.

GWX

Sunshine's mechanics are tons of fun. Although Odyssey enables Mario to do many things and be super nimble and mobile again (more than it's even been, actually), it doesn't replace Sunshine's unique moveset with the FLUDD. I'd love to see a new take on Sunshine, making use of the game's best part and replacing the shitty and padded content with new and interesting stuff. Hopefully Miyamoto and Takahashi will allow it in some sense down the road.

FinalAres

I totally understand why someone like Miyamoto would be indifferent about a remake or even revisiting old games in general. It would be a waste of their time.

But there's no blanket rule that says remakes and remasters are bad, and only new experiences are good.

There will be a 'Miyamoto of remasters' who is passionate about perfecting and crystallising games. In fact there will be many. Let them do their thing, and preserve our classic games as our memory remembers them. And then let the Miyamotos create the new experiences.

TheChaos

People, they're not going to add new levels. If they didn't add dungeons in WWHD, they won't do it here.

The best we could hope for in an HD version is some sort of blue coin tracker that beeps when you are close to one.

Giga Man

It's cool. Just make GameCube VC and add GameCube controller support. Sunshine Mario is the most fun Mario to control in the entire franchise. So many crazy acrobatic stunts he can pull with and without FLUDD. The spin jump is my personal favorite. Also, making your own water slide and sliding around Delfino Plaza is oodles of fun.

People, they're not going to add new levels. If they didn't add dungeons in WWHD, they won't do it here.

The best we could hope for in an HD version is some sort of blue coin tracker that beeps when you are close to one.

They created 30 new stars in Mario 64 DS as well as new levels.

Instead of adding any new levels, I could see Nintendo doing the following with a remake:

*Add a blue coin tracker that can be toggled on/off

*Fix the movement controls for the Pachinko level, water bottle, lily pad river and ferris wheel level (although you can cheat through the ferris wheel if your smart)

Still one of my favorite GameCube Mario games aside from TTYD.

kc44135

Hopes for a Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 HD combo...deleted :(

Why? Miyamoto is talking about remakes as far as I can tell, not remasters. There's a huge difference there. There's also always the potential for a Virtual Console release, and I would even say it's possible that they could get GC and Wii games running in HD on Switch and/or future platforms.

watershed

Banned
I don't think any game NEEDS a remake but many get remakes nonetheless and some remakes feel more important than others. I'm fine with the Mario games always going forward with new entries and leaving the older games for virtual console.

Maybe. Nintendo have been reselling the same stuff for 27 years though.
As does any company with a video game history as rich as there's. I don't see the problem as those games make up a small part of their library and doesn't prevent them from working on their new games

Why would they remake the worst mainline Mario game?
Well a remake would allow them to fix the game's issues and make it a truly great game. It's still good but it can be great with enough of its problems addressed. Granted, I would prefer 64 to get a remake but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a Sunshine remake

Peterc

Or so does he say in this interview, that he is not interested in remaking Mario games.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/27/e3-2017-shigeru-miyamoto-and-the-legacy-of-mario

I've always loved the game and I am replaying it on Dolphin now, but it has obviously some of problems. From the camera system and the limited FLUDD control due to the bad right stick in GameCube, including the hard to fucking find blue coins. But all this could be fixed in a possible remake. The biggest problem would of course be the analog triggers needed for FLUDD, as Switch does not have those. Still I'm sure they could find a fix using two left triggers to control the intensity.

Please No,! It's the LAST game of all the mario games that I want them to remake.
I prefer even Mario time machine before Sunshine.

They even could place another head on Mario and you could still not now it is a mario game. The game is just that bad (beside the watertool he has on his back.).

I'm still waiting on a new fresh mario galaxy3 game or a sandbox game with mario 64 vs super mario world feeling.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Frankly I'm glad Miyamoto isn't interested in remakes. Keep pushing forward with new experiences, and let others handle the quick buck remakes.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It’s not really bait, it’s a joke based on a common stereotype.

Don’t act like Nintendo fans aren’t inclined to buy the same games over and over. You seen the SNES mini thread?

"It's not bait."

* continues to try and bait by ignorantly describing something that isn't remotely exclusive to Nintendo fans *

Deku Tree

Well you would need to get rid of the Fludd thing which is the main mechanic of the game because analog triggers.

I feel like a lot of GameCube remasters are made too difficult to do because of analog triggers being removed by Nintendo.

Why not remake it? It should be like Disney movies where they repurpose the games to come out like once every ten years.

Final Fantasy X got a refresh that pretty mich is what I'd expect here. Some cosmetic touches and maybe ironing out a few of the bad games mechanics,

I don't think it was rushed or unpolished I just think the tropical theme really put a restrain on what they could do in how many different ways to exploit a tropical theme

jts

...hate me...
Because it was a pretty game with a nice ost but it was a rushed unpolished game.

That's pretty much it + a few good ideas. Like, seeing the Delfino Plaza getting brighter and brighter was brilliant. It was great to finally ride Yoshi in 3D. I struggle to find more neat things though.

The overall game was just not very good.

ghibli99

Can't say I disagree with the wish to move forward instead of looking back (even though Nintendo does it all the time), but if the demand is there and you have the resources to do it... why not?

i would way rather them make new games like the far superior looking Super Mario Odyssey. if u want to play the old games they will always be there.

Fucking preach. Have no idea where the nostalgia for Sunshine comes from. The game has so many problems and was essentially released unfinished.

Eh, for me it comes from:

-I was 3 at the time of its release (sorry OldGAF)
-It controls far tighter than every other Mario imo, making it the most fun to just mess around in.

...and that's it, really. I could get through the sub-par level design because moving around was just so damn fun regardless.

Axass

Sunshine needs to stay exactly how it is: dead.

Do new stuff instead, Sunshine is the very worst 3D Mario game.

Fucking preach. Have no idea where the nostalgia for Sunshine comes from. The game has so many problems and was essentially released unfinished.

Sunshine absolutely doesn't deserve the effort that'd go into a remake (or a remaster for that matter), but I get why people are attached to it nonetheless.

- The unique settings are nice, and the universe they built around them (Piantas, Shine Sprites, etc.) were a worthwhile change of pace from the trappings of past Mario games.

- Same goes for the music.

- The game really was thoughtful about a lot of the core things it asked of the player, especially exploration and trying to get to hard-to-reach players.

- I actually liked its takes on "traditional" 3D Mario stuff like Red Coins and secret stages.

I'd love to play it again on Switch, but I don't think it's in a place where it can be fixed by better graphics/sound, and I don't think Nintendo should try to add more content to it like they did with 64 on DS. Just port it over like they did with N64 VC titles.

If there's a Mario game they should remaster, it's 64. Add a dual-analog camera scheme, map the controls to the modern Nintendo button layout, redo the graphics and sound, but keep the content, physics, and gameplay otherwise the same.

"It's not bait."

* continues to try and bait by ignorantly describing something that isn't remotely exclusive to Nintendo fans *

He's been shitting up this entire thread with unrelated rants on Miyamoto, Nintendo games and the Nintendo fanbase. It's pretty transparent what his intentions are.

RE the game - revisited it in 2013 and it's really not that good. They can keep it. I do have fond memories of it though.

Mael

Super Mario Sunshine needs all the levels replaced before it's worth remaking.

Yep, in the grand scheme of all Nintendo games released and Mario games in particular it's one of the worst.
Nothing worth preserving from the original game, the only good bits were already ripped off to fit in a much better game : Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

Top Bottom